Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

Just now, Solid84 said:

Not dissing JT here, but we need a twitchy guy who can take it outside. Opponents have figured out to just stack the box - no openings and JT can't do his thing.

I think JT has always started slow. Probably the lack of actual preseason football. You don’t get much out of the running backs in training camp. Just like the Oline and dlines.  The bombs Richardson put on tape yesterday are only going to help Taylor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think JT has always started slow. Probably the lack of actual preseason football. You don’t get much out of the running backs in training camp. Just like the Oline and dlines.  The bombs Richardson put on tape yesterday are only going to help Taylor.

It's possible. It just looks like from the last couple of seasons really that if opponents focus on stopping our running game between the tackles that just shuts down JT completely.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's possible. It just looks like from the last couple of seasons really that if opponents focus on stopping our running game between the tackles and that just shuts down JT completely.

Zack Moss was more effective outside the tackles, yo!!! :) 

Yeah, can't build our offense around JT. He is not CMC and we need some reliable pass catching backs to get more playing time.

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

It's possible. It just looks like from the last couple of seasons really that if opponents focus on stopping our running game between the tackles and that just shuts down JT completely.

Last year he missed the first 4 games but once he got going he was great. Rookie year it took a few games. I am not worried about him at all. Although Steichen has to make it more of a guessing game on who is going to run with Taylor and Richardson.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Last year he missed the first 4 games but once he got going he was great. Rookie year it took a few games. I am not worried about him at all. Although Steichen has to make it more of a guessing game on who is going to run with Taylor and Richardson.

He was good, not great. Great was 2021, but he hasn't reached that level since.

Just now, chad72 said:

I personally would have traded Taylor and kept Moss cause for much of last season Moss was better than him and Moss i bet we could have got a second round pick for him he has not been the same since 2021...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I honestly don't remember lol.

I just like for us to get a change of pace RB who does something different than JT. It would make the offense a whole lot more flexible.

Just now, Solid84 said:

He was good, not great. Great was 2021, but he hasn't reached that level since.

Notice who is QB was in 21. He had a QB with an arm and who could also scramble. You have to give the fact wentz was the QB credit for a lot of that year. Now he has a QB with an arm and is way more athletic. Just wait. It will come together. Remember Richardson and Taylor had only played 2 snaps together before yesterday. 

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

I honestly don't remember lol.

I just like for us to get a change of pace RB who does something different than JT. It would make the offense a whole lot more flexible.

Might as well rotate RBs like Goodson and Sermon and ride the hot hand to see if they provide anything different. 

• Like 1

Run defense and rushing offense both have to be better when they were ballanced that when Richardson seems to be at his best when the other team knows your not gonna run then they just tee off and rush and thats where we struggled alot offensively yesterday. Those drives where the colts did all passes and didnt hand off once those were quick 3 in outs every time.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Notice who is QB was in 21. He had a QB with an arm and who could also scramble. You have to give the fact wentz was the QB credit for a lot of that year. Now he has a QB with an arm and is way more athletic. Just wait. It will come together. Remember Richardson and Taylor had only played 2 snaps together before yesterday. 

True and AR has an arm too, but AR lacks consistency right now. Hope we get the run game going though, because the offense needs it.

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

True and AR has an arm too, but AR lacks consistency right now. Hope we get the run game going though, because the offense needs it.

I think we still start off with a deficit vs the Packers and come away with a close win at the end. It takes Bradley quite some time to adjust to things. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe but if you’re being dominated the shorter quick throws should be there. Thats wheee he has to be better at giving him an outlet. We get downs back I suspect the intermediate game will be back. 

I think he missed Downs.  Gould started and AD played there as well.  Two rookies.  

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I think we still start off with a deficit vs the Packers and come away with a close win at the end. It takes Bradley quite some time to adjust to things. :) 

I hope so. I'm really not a fan of Bradley and the more I see his scheme in action the more it hurts my brain lol.

22 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

His run grade was in the low end of average - high 50s. That's not good and could be the reason our run game didn't go anywhere. I believe you did point out he kept running into his blockers instead of bouncing outside or was that someone else? This seems to support that.

Yeah, that's kinda telling when the RB is in the 50s and the OL is in the 80s.  I don't know what I said recently, but I've been trying to point out for a while now that JT seems to not want to try to bounce it outside.  I've said this since back when Frank was getting all of the blame for running up the gut. 

• Like 2

Just now, richard pallo said:

I was watching Fries and he had a great game.  Smith struggled especially on a bull rush.  For some reason Smith always has been a slow starter.  He will only get better.  

Yeah Hunter isn’t no slouch as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hoose said:

I don’t agree because it’s only been one game. An adjustment in the Run D is coming. What they didn’t do today was anticipate the cutback. Mixon was continuously cutting back against the flow and the Colts overran the play all game long. They also failed miserably at setting the edge. Let’s see if they fix these problems next week before throwing in the towel. I think they will. 

• Like 1

I think the run defense is fine. But the plan they had to deal with the challenge of the Houston offense they don't need to repeat that plan. The Green Bay Packers won't run it on us like that.

45 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

True we did, and JT and AR eventually would've worn down their defenders. The question is would we have been able to catch up then? The offense didn't get the ball enough to lean on the run because our defense couldn't stop the run.

I'm not sure. I haven't gotten that far in replaying it. It was a very strange game as far as possession went. He ended up with 16, but went for long stretches with nothing. Part of that is due to huge chunk plays, but nevertheless. I don't see a reason that healthy JT ever touches the ball less than 20 times. Not that 4 extra touches would make a massive difference, but it could with him. 

2 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Almost forgot. Ballard = 54-61-1. No judgment, just facts. 

LOL. No judgement eh?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I hope so. I'm really not a fan of Bradley and the more I see his scheme in action the more it hurts my brain lol.

I think the defense is going to be really good this year.  Just need to get therun defense up to par.  The secondary really played well against some great receivers yesterday.  I remember Jones batting down a touchdown pass at the last second for Collins I believe.  Great deep coverage.  He was guarding Collins on that big 3rd down conversion at the end but it was great coverage and it took a great throw and catch to convert.  I see a lot of upside for our young secondary.

43 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Not dissing JT here, but we need a twitchy guy who can take it outside. Opponents have figured out to just stack the box - no openings and JT can't do his thing.

Let them stack, i hope they do. So does AR and A Pierce lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm not sure. I haven't gotten that far in replaying it. It was a very strange game as far as possession went. He ended up with 16, but went for long stretches with nothing. Part of that is due to huge chunk plays, but nevertheless. I don't see a reason that healthy JT ever touches the ball less than 20 times. Not that 4 extra touches would make a massive difference, but it could with him. 

LOL. No judgement eh?

It’s just my shtick on here. My fans love it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the defense is going to be really good this year.  Just need to get therun defense up to par.  The secondary really played well against some great receivers yesterday.  I remember Jones batting down a touchdown pass at the last second for Collins I believe.  Great deep coverage.  He was guarding Collins on that big 3rd down conversion at the end but it was great coverage and it took a great throw and catch to convert.  I see a lot of upside for our young secondary.

I don't think our secondary was particularly good. I think Jones got picked on - but he did have a good pass break up in the end zone.

Brents, Jones and Cross all graded out 50 or less in coverage according to PFF. Jones was under 40 - yikes.

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think our secondary was particularly good. I think Jones got picked on - but he did have a good pass break up in the end zone.

Brents, Jones and Cross all graded out 50 or less in coverage according to PFF. Jones was under 40 - yikes.

Yeah. Pass defense EPA was #23 and rush defense EPA was #26. Don't think the run defense stinking gives a pass to the secondary.

Another stat: HOU had 7 PBUs and IND had 1. Though that seems a bit high based on watching it. 

• Like 2

CJ only passed for what 234 yards? That's not earth shaking. I'd say the secondary was decent. If Houston saw big opportunity through the air then probably would've stayed with it instead of switching to the ground attack. We also had good pressure on him. All in all the ground was more inviting for them bc we sold out to stop the pass. I don't think the PFF tells the full story especially on a D that is designed on purpose to give up a few yards anyway. Against a squad like that you know you're going to give up points but think the Colts defensive staff felt like they could force more field goals than TD. Fairburn I know kicked about 2-3 field goals.  The Run defense or lack of killed it all though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

when you think of little the offense was out there this is really good. They need to be on the field more. 

What you really need is a defensive look at that statistic.  I'd be curious how many times they allowed long conversions.  Or forced a 3rd and short situation due to giving up a 10+ gain on 2nd down.  Because that 14 yard scramble by Stroud was unforgivable.  Looked like EJ Speed and Zaire Franklin were sleeping in coverage.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

CJ only passed for what 234 yards? That's not earth shaking. I'd say the secondary was decent. If Houston saw big opportunity through the air then probably would've stayed with it instead of switching to the ground attack. We also had good pressure on him. All in all the ground was more inviting for them bc we sold out to stop the pass. I don't think the PFF tells the full story especially on a D that is designed on purpose to give up a few yards anyway. Against a squad like that you know you're going to give up points but think the Colts defensive staff felt like they could force more field goals than TD. Fairburn I know kicked about 2-3 field goals.  The Run defense or lack of killed it all though.

Well if the Run defense wasn’t so bad there’s no question he probably would’ve threw for 270. They still can’t stop Nico Collins. He was also 8/8 on 3rd downs which was so frustrating.

4 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Well if the Run defense wasn’t so bad there’s no question he probably would’ve threw for 270. They still can’t stop Nico Collins.

I'm saying if they felt that way why didn't they stay with it? Probably bc they knew that whatever we were doing worked good enough for them to consider other things. It's hard to say that's true bc the pass rush was getting home.  Hou didn't get that many explosives. Well they did if you consider runs explosions.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think the run defense is fine. But the plan they had to deal with the challenge of the Houston offense they don't need to repeat that plan. The Green Bay Packers won't run it on us like that.

I think this is probably correct. It was more the plan. But why didn’t they adjust. If your secondary is that weak where you just find them the run then you screwed up getting the correct players. Now I will say their OC comes ftom SF and it’s hard to defend. But at least try and adjust.