Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts claim CB Samuel Womack, waive CB Darrell Baker

Douzer

Graded out to a 72.2 as a rookie then 66.5 last season in limited snaps according to PFF.

Baker was 52.9

Flowers 66.4

Brents 63.2

Jones 56.8

Moore 76.8

so is 2nd best Corner we have as of now, expect a vet addition of some type to be added as not likely we go with only 5 Corners and we didnt get any of our other waiver claims (If we tried).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

This is a hell of a pickup , he’s a former starter for the 49ers. 

From what I can tell Womack is a nickel back who can also play outside, along with giving a special teams boost. This looks to be more like Kenny Moore's back up.  If so then I like it. We will see about whoever is backing up Ju Ju Brent's. I think Flowers is backing up Jones. I'm assuming they will bring back Baker. Or go with a waiver claim or a Vet. Interested to see what we do at backup SS. Whether it's Harrison or do we roll with something else.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

From what I can tell Womack is a nickel back who can also play outside, along with giving a special teams boost. This looks to be more like Kenny Moore's back up.  If so then I like it. We will see about whoever is backing up Ju Ju Brent's. I think Flowers is backing up Jones. I'm assuming they will bring back Baker. Or go with a waiver claim or a Vet. Interested to see what we do at backup SS. Whether it's Harrison or do we roll with something else.

I think he was indeed brought in to back up Kenny. As it stands we don’t really have a Nickel Back should Kenny go down. I’m still curious as for the reason to keep Denbow over Harrison that ones a head scratcher.

22 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I think he was indeed brought in to back up Kenny. As it stands we don’t really have a Nickel Back should Kenny go down. I’m still curious as for the reason to keep Denbow over Harrison that ones a head scratcher.

Special teams would be my guess.  Denbow has been good on special teams in the past.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

We will see. The roster is still fluid.

There will be more change over the next couple days.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

He is actually much better at outside and struggles in slot though his size is much more slot suited. Will be interesting where we play him.

39 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

He is actually much better at outside and struggles in slot though his size is much more slot suited. Will be interesting where we play him.

I think in the slot surely bc of his size. Colts like versatility just in case they need to use the attributes, but they prefer length and height for boundary corners. I'm expecting us to resign Baker or someone else.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

"If" we play him.  This could just be a kicking the tires thing, and Womack doesn't stick.  We shall see.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Chiefs obviously not too thrilled with their cornerback depth, I can see. Expect some points scored on that secondary if Spags' blitzes don't get there and Chris Jones is held in check. Could be a barn burner on opening day between Ravens and Chiefs in the 30s. :) 

• Like 1

The 49ers are my favorite NFC team, so I’m familiar with Womack. He’s not worse than Baker, but is he better than Baker? 

Ehhhhhhhh only if we’re making real liberal use of the term “better”. He’s shown some flashes and had some good moments, but there’s also plenty of “uh oh” moments as well. If it’s not an even trade, I don’t expect it to be a marked improvement. Maybe the change of scenery will help him. 

I’m sure Baker was told to be on standby if he clears waivers. As soon as someone from this group gets hurt he’s gonna be the first guy Ballard calls. 

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

The 49ers are my favorite NFC team, so I’m familiar with Womack. He’s not worse than Baker, but is he better than Baker? 

Ehhhhhhhh only if we’re making real liberal use of the term “better”. He’s shown some flashes and had some good moments, but there’s also plenty of “uh oh” moments as well. If it’s not an even trade, I don’t expect it to be a marked improvement. Maybe the change of scenery will help him. 

I’m sure Baker was told to be on standby if he clears waivers. As soon as someone from this group gets hurt he’s gonna be the first guy Ballard calls. 

Well the eagles and chiefs thought he would make their team better.   Who is the worst CB on those teams?

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Womack plays nickel back. Baker does not.

Womack will likely backup Kenny Moore in case of injury. Unless we bring Baker back or pick up a bigger CB on waivers or trade I'm inclined to say we will end up calling Jaylon Simpson from the PS to back up JuJu. Shall see what happens. Still being sorted.

36 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Glad we got someone. Not too excited by who, but what I really don't get is only having 5 CBs. I think we're very thin here.

You may end up seeing Jaylin Simpson called up from the PS at the last minute during game week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The Eagles and Chiefs put in claims on Womack and they always do well with evaluating DB’s.  So I would say we picked up a nice prospect.  If JuJu continues to have injury problems Womack just might be his replacement.

He is normally a nickel back. Can play out side though.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Well the eagles and chiefs thought he would make their team better.   Who is the worst CB on those teams?

They’re probably hoping for the same thing Ballard is: last year’s tape was the exception and not the trend. At one point his arrow was pointing up, but that’s been a fairly long time ago at this point. 

21 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

They’re probably hoping for the same thing Ballard is: last year’s tape was the exception and not the trend. At one point his arrow was pointing up, but that’s been a fairly long time ago at this point. 

2 superbowl contenders were willing to put him on their 53.  Just a guess,   he is better than fans think

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Man the Titans love our sloppy seconds like a creepy stalker 😆 

This sucks...I was one of the few that wanted Baker back. He was a victim of a blown call against the Browns and uninformed fans jumped all over him the rest of the year imo. 

I don’t think Flowers even should be on the roster after his terrible preseason. It’s going to take him some time to get back to form from his achilles injury.

Now this. Let’s hope Ballard keep beefing up that CB room lol