Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

with the RB room we have now, if JT goes down, we are in trouble. Unless AR pulls a Lamar over and over.

You must have forgotten we didn't have JT for several games last year and we had the same group of backs except now we don't have Moss. Nobody thought Moss was going to consistently run like he did. I think coming from Buffalo most viewed him as an average fill in back. Sermon and Goodson filled in nicely behind Moss. It really depends on where Hull is. I think he is talented and we drafted him for a reason. I don't care about where we drafted him bc the Colts evaluate talent pretty good and they get good use even from the lower picks. The staff was confident enough to let Moss go in part I think bc they like Hull and the other guys played pretty good too.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

with the RB room we have now, if JT goes down, we are in trouble. Unless AR pulls a Lamar over and over.

I’d like for us to get a guy who’s a step up from Sermon or Goodson, but guys like that will be a dime a dozen after cut downs. Getting an upgrade is not an issue. That said, I honestly don’t think Ballard is looking. It’s a “we likenour guys” situation. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

You must have forgotten we didn't have JT for several games last year and we had the same group of backs except now we don't have Moss. Nobody thought Moss was going to consistently run like he did. I think coming from Buffalo most viewed him as an average fill in back. Sermon and Goodson filled in nicely behind Moss. It really depends on where Hull is. I think he is talented. The staff was confident enough to let Moss go in part I think bc they like Hull and the other guys played pretty good too.

Moss is a very good back, yes we had Moss that is a huge loss. If we still had Moss and lost JT for a few games it wouldn't be a huge deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Moss is a very good back, yes we had Moss that is a huge loss. If we still had Moss and lost JT for a few games it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Did you really think we were ok when we didn't have JT last year? Most were clamoring for Ballard to hurry and get the deal done. We didn't know Moss was going to run like that. People were making some of these same comments I see in this thread.  Sermon was an in season addition. He wasn't even there at first and I'm not certain if Goodson was there either. I think he came later or was on the PS.

Just now, krunk said:

Did you really think we were ok when we didn't have JT last year? Most were clamoring for Ballard to hurry and get the deal done. We didn't know Moss was going to run like that 

Moss' don't come around every day out of the blue like that. Do you really think Sermon or Goodson can run like Moss? I highly doubt it. We got lucky that Moss turned out good and held the fort down. That rarely happens for most teams. If JT goes down now, it will hamper what we do bigtime. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Moss' don't come around every day out of the blue like that. Do you really think Sermon or Goodson can run like Moss? I highly doubt it. We got lucky that Moss turned out good and held the fort down. That rarely happens for most teams. If JT goes down now, it will hamper what we do bigtime. 

What did we draft a RB for?  They let Moss go for a reason. They trust the talent or are at least willing to see what the kids got in function with the other backs in a committee along with AR. You know well it's going to be RBBC anyway. It's not going to be a bell cow situation if JT goes down. In the mean time I'd like to see what this looks like with Hull and JT. I think Hull will eventually step in front of Sermon and Goodson.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

What did we draft a RB for?  They let Moss go for a reason. They trust the talent or are at least willing to see what the kids got in function with the other backs in a committee along with AR. You know well it's going to be RBBC anyway. It's not going to be a bell cow situation if JT goes down.

Hopefully it doesn't happen and we witness the true greatness that Ballard stated we are going to see out of JT... If it does happen, hopefully it's a brief period without him AND #5 helps keep the run game moving. Having that threat at qb is going to open up a lot for runningbacks, regardless who is back there. I trust the O-line and Steichen to produce a solid running game no matter the situation. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me that the disrespect Taylor gets in here from a few. A few seem to think, we can just plug in any back and won't miss a beat without him. Moss was a miracle.

I'm not sure it's a disrespect to JT versus a disrespect of the position. There is a always going to be a lot of downplaying the importance of runningbacks in the modern era. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Last year we played two high safeties about 70% of the time

I keep seeing people say this. I don't think it's correct. Does anyone have a source on this?

What I saw is the Colts played Cover 3 or Cover 4 combined 70% of the time, with more Cover 3 early in the season, and more Cover 4 later on. But Cover 3 is a single high coverage, and it's Bradley's preferred coverage. 

So I don't think we played two high safeties anywhere near 70% of the time. I'm happy to be proved wrong...

Edit: This is from late last season, it has the Colts in Cover 3 57%. Add in the Cover 0 and Cover 1, and we were in single high 67% of the time. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, krunk said:

What did we draft a RB for?  They let Moss go for a reason. They trust the talent or are at least willing to see what the kids got in function with the other backs in a committee along with AR. You know well it's going to be RBBC anyway. It's not going to be a bell cow situation if JT goes down. In the mean time I'd like to see what this looks like with Hull and JT. I think Hull will eventually step in front of Sermon and Goodson.

We let Moss go because of money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still want Justin Simmons, which is the main topic. He was rated the 57th best player in the league for a reason even though I think the NFL Network's list is doo doo haha 

Stop making sense.  You can’t always get what you want.  

This has nothing to do with your post, I was just thinking about a great Talking Heads movie.  Then a Stones song popped into my head for some reason. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/8/6/24214353/today-seems-like-a-good-day-for-the-colts-to-sign-justin-simmons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me that the disrespect Taylor gets in here from a few. A few seem to think, we can just plug in any back and won't miss a beat without him. Moss was a miracle.

Not saying we won’t lose production if JT gets injured, but it’s not a catastrophe like some make it out to be. We’ll be fine. We can find “good enough” talent for cheap. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Stop making sense.  You can’t always get what you want.  

This has nothing to do with your post, I was just thinking about a great Talking Heads movie.  Then a Stones song popped into my head for some reason. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/8/6/24214353/today-seems-like-a-good-day-for-the-colts-to-sign-justin-simmons

Simmons controls the WHEN for when he signs.   He’ll sign when the time AND offer are right. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it’s worth….   The Colts have $7mill more in cap space than Houston.   

The Texans have the advantage of no state tax and a team closer to winning today.  

Stop listening to the talking heads. The rosters between the two are much closer than the pundits realize. The Texans beat the Colts by what last year? 10 yards?

• Like 1

The reason Ballard is not improving his secondary is because he is a realist that knows that the Colts are not a SB contender this season.  The $25M in salary cap indicates room in the salary structure that is needed for future years when the Colts have an actual window.  Unlike many fans, he's being pragmatic and not making decisions based on hope.  It would be foolish to commit to a full-cap salary structure by signing players this season, especially when evaluations of the young back 7 are needed to see who stays and who goes the next 2 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The reason Ballard is not improving his secondary is because he is a realist that knows that the Colts are not a SB contender this season.  The $25M in salary cap indicates room in the salary structure that is needed for future years when the Colts have an actual window.  Unlike many fans, he's being pragmatic and not making decisions based on hope.  It would be foolish to commit to a full-cap salary structure by signing players this season, especially when evaluations of the young back 7 are needed to see who stays and who goes the next 2 years.

So if this is true, why should I care about watching if Ballard is going to stretch it out another year and we aren't trying to contend? I don't mind trying and failing, but we aren't even trying unless it's the draft at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

So if this is true, why should I care about watching if Ballard is going to stretch it out another year and we aren't trying to contend? I don't mind trying and failing, but we aren't even trying unless it's the draft at this point.

yeah I’m not buying it… Sounds like being ok wasting some of the premium veterans that won’t be performing to the same standard in a few years. I don’t think Ballard’s seat is that cool. I understand wanting to evaluate players, but I would imagine he hasn’t been sitting on his hands entirely regarding free safety. He mentioned needing more consistency there back in January while free agency/draft was obviously being planned out. Either things didn’t work out to improve the room or the evaluations are nearing what they felt was needed to make a move. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I can't answer why you should care.

But there are realists in the bases of all 32 teams that know about 26 teams have little shot at the SB.  Yet they sell out their stadiums by seeming to care anyway.  I guess they care because they want to have fun?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hopefully it doesn't happen and we witness the true greatness that Ballard stated we are going to see out of JT... If it does happen, hopefully it's a brief period without him AND #5 helps keep the run game moving. Having that threat at qb is going to open up a lot for runningbacks, regardless who is back there. I trust the O-line and Steichen to produce a solid running game no matter the situation. 

Yes hopefully JT remains healthy. For me I don't think it's a disaster if he goes down though. The team is a lot stronger at WR to keep people from stacking the box against the run. We had this same group last year when JT went down and it didn't kill the season. There were even times when Moss couldn't play.   We just need some good strong group committee running along with the threat of AR.  I think Hull was drafted to be JT backup and we have some other guys who are hard runners. Still won't be as good as having JT of course. I'm just putting that out there for those looking for a chance say I'm crazy for thinking things will go the same. I don't but I think we can Garner enough respect to still move the ball on the ground.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

My feelings exactly...if he thought that Simmons was the final piece to a Super Bowl run, he would have already been signed. I also don't buy the talk of the veteran safeties are holding out to skip training camp. 

Now watch him sign Simmons, lol! 🤣

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why are you playing the disrespect card? No one said we would keep on ticking like it's nothing. You said this. You also said it would be really bad if he went down and I pointed out it didn't destroy us last year. There's a way to Garner enough respect on the ground with a committee and AR. Won't be the same but I'm not buying a disaster. We've got a decent committee and AR plus the WR corps. And I will say it again. There's a reason why Ballard drafted a RB last year. I'm guessing it's to be JT backup in case he went down. Seems talented so he may be able to help us along with the other guys. We will see during the preseason.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yes hopefully JT remains healthy. For me I don't think it's a disaster if he goes down though. The team is a lot stronger at WR to keep people from stacking the box against the run. We had this same group last year when JT went down and it didn't kill the season. There were even times when Moss couldn't play.   We just need some good strong group committee running along with the threat of AR.  I think Hull was drafted to be JT backup and we have some other guys who are hard runners. Still won't be as good as having JT of course. I'm just putting that out there for those looking for a chance say I'm crazy for thinking things will go the same. I don't but I think we can Garner enough respect to still move the ball on the ground.

I don’t think it’s a “disaster” per se, because we actually have a qb back there that can make plays both in the air and with his feet. It’s a potential disaster if he goes down again (knock on hardwood). But JT, while a key weapon to our success, isn’t necessarily crucial, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am pretty sure it was or at least the biggest reason but you are free to believe what you would like.

I'm really done with the topic but how much of a future do you think Moss had here in Indy? There's JT and then there's the RB they just drafted last year. I will buy money definitely matters but Ballard tends to cater more towards the guys they draft for the most part. The FA they bring in usually don't stay long.  I don't think the Colts had a long term plan for Moss even though he did well. I will agree money was a larger reason, but I don't believe they had much of a future mapped out for him. I don't.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm really done with the topic but how much of a future do you think Moss had here? There's JT and then there's the RB they just drafted last year. I will buy money definitely matters but Ballard tends to cater more towards the guys they draft for the most part. The FA they bring in usually don't stay long.  I don't think the Colts had a long term plan for Moss even though he did well. I will agree money was a larger reason, but I don't believe they had much of a future mapped out for him. I don't.

I think had Moss wanted to comeback to be a second back for the Colts then the Colts would have been happy to have him.  They weren’t going to pay him starter money to be a second back (smart move) so once Cincy did that he was gone.  The Colts didn’t let him go because they thought he wasn’t worth keeping.  They let him go because he played his way into a starter role and contract and with Taylor here that wasn’t an option so yeah money was the biggest factor at least from the Colts end.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think had Moss wanted to comeback to be a second back for the Colts then the Colts would have been happy to have him.  They weren’t going to pay him starter money to be a second back (smart move) so once Cincy did that he was gone.  The Colts didn’t let him go because they thought he wasn’t worth keeping.  They let him go because he played his way into a starter role and contract and with Taylor here that wasn’t an option so yeah money was the biggest factor at least from the Colts end.  

We don't disagree on money but again just knowing how Ballard operates I can't give you any more than 1 year tops. I don't think Hull was drafted to just be 3rd string or worse. I think got him to be JTs backup. He's not just a little pass catching back 

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

We don't disagree on money but again just knowing how Ballard operates I can't give you any more than 1 year tops. I don't think Hull was drafted to just be 3rd string or worse. I think got him to be JTs backup. He's not just a little pass catching back 

I like Hull too and agree he was drafted to be a factor in the running back room.  I was just objecting to your first post I responded too that Moss walking wasn’t about money.  From there I think we have moved closer to an agreement in posts since.

Can I just say that I appreciate a great deal of this forum having adhd like myself? We can take one topic and turn it into an entire different discussion… and I’m here for it. 

now back to JT and why Chris Ballard won’t improve the secondary. 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

There were some reports that the Colts offered him more than Cincy.  Moss was being given the starter’s job in Cincy which is a chance to play for another larger contract. 

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Stop listening to the talking heads. The rosters between the two are much closer than the pundits realize. The Texans beat the Colts by what last year? 10 yards?

The Texans are currently ranked 6 or 7 in the current power rankings.  And for good reason.   The Colts are currently ranked 21 or 22.   

Doesn’t mean that’s how things will play out once the season gets under way.  Just that’s the view today.   

You're not a fan of media.   I spent my career in media, so my view is different.  I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong, I’m only saying we see media very differently.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW the podcast Horseshoe Huddle is saying tonight that the Colts and Simmons are in talks and they have progressed well past the initial stages of being mutually interested.

No offense to you Richard because you are just passing along what you heard I don’t think it’s worth much.  Like someone else said earlier until Shefty or Ian or another major national source picks it up I’d be extremely skeptical of anyone else.