Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harrison Butker's shocking speech, Chiefs probably not going to 3 peat

chad72

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

It turns out that he comes from a family and a school with very accomplished women. Not only is his mother a physicist, his sister is a Physician's Assistant who studied at Weill Cornell Graduate School right here on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in NY. His paternal aunt is a senior vice president of a firm. And his graduating class at Georgia Tech had over 50 women graduate in industrial engineering.

He did not bother to mention any of that. He may be the least academically successful member of his family. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/harrison-butkers-atlanta-hometown-scolds-him-over-commencement-speech

That comes across loud and clear.

As for the school being Catholic, there are many Catholic schools that don't preach that. I wonder if Notre Dame would ever invite him to address grads. I doubt it. A group affiliated with the school said that Butker does not represent them. They said that instead of bringing people together, his address was divisive.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5502923/2024/05/18/harrison-butker-benedictine-sisters-jersey?source=user-shared-article

That is what makes his comments even worse because of his family background. Puzzling to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

It turns out that he comes from a family and a school with very accomplished women. Not only is his mother a physicist, his sister is a Physician's Assistant who studied at Weill Cornell Graduate School right here on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in NY. His paternal aunt is a senior vice president of a firm. And his graduating class at Georgia Tech had over 50 women graduate in industrial engineering.

He did not bother to mention any of that. He may be the least academically successful member of his family. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/harrison-butkers-atlanta-hometown-scolds-him-over-commencement-speech

That comes across loud and clear.

As for the school being Catholic, there are many Catholic schools that don't preach that. I wonder if Notre Dame would ever invite him to address grads. I doubt it. A group affiliated with the school said that Butker does not represent them. They said that instead of bringing people together, his address was divisive.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5502923/2024/05/18/harrison-butker-benedictine-sisters-jersey?source=user-shared-article

Read the sisters' statement.

What I gather is, he's too proud and full of himself, that he follows tradition and that is enough, and that should be the way for the world. I think institutions with similar mindset will like to have him lead their mission after his football career. 

As you pointed out, I think he hates that he's the least accomplished academic in his family by profession haha though he's done very well in his job.

At this point, I don't think he could expand his worldview, and he'd double-down on what he said.

Considering that he gets to enter the field only after Not getting after 3 Downs, it's fitting that he'd not get it anytime soon. 

Imagine a 28 year old woman with a net worth of 5 million dollars and an annual income of 3.5 million dollars using this platform to address the men in the audience ind order to correct their world view.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Imagine a 28 year old woman with a net worth of 5 million dollars and an annual income of 3.5 million dollars using this platform to address the men in the audience ind order to correct their world view.

I need me a woman like that Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

I stand by HIS right to believe what he wants and to say what he wants

Don't like it ?  ......... that's up to you......

No one was harmed by HIS opinion

Freedom of speech used to be just that........

We have become an era of thought police

You'd better get in sync.....    Or people will call for your head.......

Sad times......

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

LOL, its been happening for 50 years.  Not rich, but the equivalent visibility offered by small groups of vocal protesters having their visibility elevated by sympathizers with cameras and microphones for all to see their screaming lectures.     

These weird conflicts are caused by extremists being triggered by centrist choice-based comments like Butker's.  They seem to wrongly think that Butker is the extremist and then expose their intolerance for people who support a different path.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sad times......

I'd say both sides are guilty of trying to silence the other. 

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

LOL, its been happening for 50 years.  Not rich, but the equivalent visibility offered by small groups of vocal protesters having their visibility elevated by sympathizers with cameras and microphones for all to see their screaming lectures.     

These weird conflicts are caused by extremists being triggered by centrist choice-based comments like Butker's.  They seem to wrongly think that Butker is the extremist and then expose their intolerance for people who support a different path.

His views are certainly not centrist. 

A pure centrist would have no opinion on the matter of what a woman can or can't do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'd say both sides are guilty of trying to silence the other. 

His views are certainly not centrist. 

A pure centrist would have no opinion on the matter of what a woman can or can't do. 

IMO, his comments supported a group of women who have absolutely NO support in the public domain.  Providing support is not the same thing as "can or can't do"

Let me ask you, do female public school school teachers ever support girls who want to be a homemaker....help them become better at that pathway,.....or do they ONLY teach about how to become a better college student?  Maybe people associate family and motherhood with Faith is because that's the only place its allowed to be supported?

How dare someone with a public access microphone support it.

I think its great for a public person who has to earn his own visibility...unlike the other side who has it given to them....uplifts girls who want to follow in their mother or grandmother's footsteps. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Let me ask you, do female public school school teachers ever support girls who want to be a homemaker....help them become better at that pathway,.....or do they ONLY teach about how to become a better college student?  Maybe people associate family and motherhood with Faith is because that's the only place its allowed to be publicly supported?

Uh, a resounding yes they support those who choose to have families. Not sure where you live or where you're from, but in Indiana the general motto is "mind your own business and let others do what makes them happy". I encourage my students to do what makes them happy. Life is too damn short to accept anything less. 

One of the biggest misconceptions people outside of education have is that schools are just mills for preparing college students. That could not be further from the truth. We have students working towards being welders, mechanics, nurses, police officers, lawyers, pro athletes, and yes even stay at home parents. We offer FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences) classes. 

The TV wants to tell you what's happening in schools, but if you were to walk into one you'd be surprised how far off they are. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Uh, a resounding yes they support those who choose to have families. Not sure where you live or where you're from, but in Indiana the general motto is "mind your own business and let others do what makes them happy". I encourage my students to do what makes them happy. Life is too damn short to accept anything less. 

One of the biggest misconceptions people outside of education have is that schools are just mills for preparing college students. That could not be further from the truth. We have students working towards being welders, mechanics, nurses, police officers, lawyers, pro athletes, and yes even stay at home parents. We offer FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences) classes. 

The TV wants to tell you what's happening in schools, but if you were to walk into one you'd be surprised how far off they are. 

Yes, those classes have been around forever.  When I grew up, the girls who attended those classes were labeled Becky-Homecky's, so I hope that the culture has changed to support those girls to the same level girls are supported when taking classes like Physics.....or women's basketball.  I hope they get equal praise when they both get A's in home/family or physics.

But not to discuss all of that. 

Butker is supporting another side, and the conflict is being caused by those who want to always control the narrative and are now using the common tactic of twisting his words to then continue to control the narrative.....and labeling him some sort of extremist.  A lot of folks are seeing it for what it is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, those classes have been around forever.  When I grew up, the girls who attended those classes were labeled Becky-Homecky's, so I hope that the culture has changed to support those girls to the same level girls are supported when taking classes like Physics.

But not to discuss all of that. 

Butker is supporting another side, and the conflict is being caused by those who want to always control the narrative and are now using the common tactic of twisting his words to then continue to control the narrative.  A lot of folks who support Butker are seeing it for what it is.

I understand your point. 

Just know that I'll always defend education like a white faced hornet. There are a lot of people in schools from top to bottom who are doing the good work of preparing kids for the crapfest we call life. Memorizing facts and figures gets all the attention, but the real quality of education is hardening people for the real world: building resiliency. 

Becky Homecky... I'm only 35 so I'm on the youngish side (sure don't feel like it though). I've never heard that term before this thread. I've had plenty of classmates who have gone on to be stay at home parents. To be honest a lot of my peers view them with envy instead of disgust. I've had some students talk about doing the same, haven't witnessed any harassment personally with their choice. 

I guess it must be happening somewhere, but it ain't here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I encourage my students to do what makes them happy. Life is too damn short to accept anything less. 

Exactly. That is a centrist thought.

I was thinking about what would be an analogy to what Butker said. 🤔  Say, someone is speaking to a group of students who graduated and focused the speech on, say, their diets. It may go like this:

"As you graduate today, I would like to share that your lives would be improved if you followed a plant-based diet. Humans are dying of heart disease, diabetes and all sorts of other avoidable health problems because they consume meat and processed foods. My life truly began when I switched to a vegan diet. You will improve the world if you do the same..." Etc.

Now, everyone who is vegan will say the speaker has a right to free speech. Others would ask what does their diet have to do with graduation. If I gave that speech, there would be backlash.

Anyway...What is most remarkable in this discussion is that those advocating for his "freedom of speech" have not advocated the same for others whose beliefs they disagree with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I understand your point. 

Just know that I'll always defend education like a white faced hornet. There are a lot of people in schools from top to bottom who are doing the good work of preparing kids for the crapfest we call life. Memorizing facts and figures gets all the attention, but the real quality of education is hardening people for the real world: building resiliency. 

Becky Homecky... I'm only 35 so I'm on the youngish side (sure don't feel like it though). I've never heard that term before this thread. I've had plenty of classmates who have gone on to be stay at home parents. To be honest a lot of my peers view them with envy instead of disgust. I've had some students talk about doing the same, haven't witnessed any harassment personally with their choice. 

I guess it must be happening somewhere, but it ain't here. 

I understand, and have no beef with your comments or you as a poster.  You have opinions, but all always fair.

I think part of what is driving Butker's comment and the applause, is how we use the term "education".  What it means as far as subject matter, and the seemingly one-sided innocent comments like......you need an "education" to do well.   We know that is being said.

Well, in what is probably the most important role we have as humans....pursuing that type of education doesn't really help us do well.   That's what I take away from Butker's comments, and why he said them to kids (and directly to the women) graduating from college.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was a very political commencement address, the advice to women to embrace motherhood was just part of it. Mostly he was preaching to the choir at that ceremony although there were some that were offended by some of his political statements.

The harm is the implication that women don't already embrace motherhood. And that he's the judge of mothers who haven't done right by their children because they are selfishly pursuing careers

His time would have been better spent encouraging men to embrace fatherhood. Either that or advice on how to marry a wealthy NFL kicker so that they can properly embrace being a mother.

Lady Gaga Reaction GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:49 PM, NFLfan said:

I went to Catholic school from 3rd grade through high school. I don't recall anyone sharing what Butker did.

No one said he does not have free speech. However, I have heard many say that players should "shut up and play." Why is it different with Butker?

Hmm, you never talked about God's plan for the family in all those years?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think part of what is driving Butker's comment and the applause, is how we use the term "education".  What it means as far as subject matter, and the seemingly one-sided innocent comments like......you need an "education" to do well.   We know that is being said

That phrase has changed meaning over the course of history and can be interpreted many ways. 

In one way, it could mean "take classes, pass with straight As and get a good job"

In another, it could mean "gain useful experience and practice those skills in an open environment". 

I tend to lean towards the latter, but I understand many gravitate towards the former, which therein lies the rub as they say. 

Getting an education can and should be a very personal experience. It should be determined by what an individual seeks to gain out of it by putting the same effort in. 

I really get it from the old school view though. My parents gave me only two options while in high school: Get good grades and go to college or enter the military. That was it. 

I chose college and student loan debt. Though looking back... 

We sure overlook all the nonsense and criminal activity of athletes because they get paid to play a game. Free speech means free speech and if you don't agree doesn't mean people have to whine about i 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Exactly. That is a centrist thought.

I was thinking about what would be an analogy to what Butker said. 🤔  Say, someone is speaking to a group of students who graduated and focused the speech on, say, their diets. It may go like this:

"As you graduate today, I would like to share that your lives would be improved if you followed a plant-based diet. Humans are dying of heart disease, diabetes and all sorts of other avoidable health problems because they consume meat and processed foods. My life truly began when I switched to a vegan diet. You will improve the world if you do the same..." Etc.

Now, everyone who is vegan will say the speaker has a right to free speech. Others would ask what does their diet have to do with graduation. If I gave that speech, there would be backlash.

Anyway...What is most remarkable in this discussion is that those advocating for his "freedom of speech" have not advocated the same for others whose beliefs they disagree with.

You know me maybe better than anyone and I am for Freedom Speech all day, even if someone views something different than I do. There is not much that I am strongly against, so most things don't bother me. I have had many of friends that have different beliefs than me but to me it just matters if someone is a good person or not.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nadine said:

It was a very political commencement address, the advice to women to embrace motherhood was just part of it. Mostly he was preaching to the choir at that ceremony although there were some that were offended by some of his political statements.

The harm is the implication that women don't already embrace motherhood. And that he's the judge of mothers who haven't done right by their children because they are selfishly pursuing careers

His time would have been better spent encouraging men to embrace fatherhood. Either that or advice on how to marry a wealthy NFL kicker so that they can properly embrace being a mother.

Lady Gaga Reaction GIF by Jimmy Kimmel Live

While I liked the sentiment of your post, I think you must have a broader definition of what is "political" than the average person, IMO.   He didn't talk about elections, candidates, parties, voting, or advocating legislation did he?

I think he is speaking more social/cultural than political, unless you come from the point of view that government is supposed to have a guiding hand in all things social and cultural, in which case everything can be defined as political.  

I'd stick to things like campaigns, legislation, candidates, voting...etc.  but that's me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Hmm, you never talked about God's plan for the family in all those years?

Yeah, but not at graduation. And my graduation was at St. Patrick's Cathedral. We were all encouraged to pursue our dreams. They did not talk about the role of women in the home during a graduation.

There is a time and place for everything.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, but not at graduation. And my graduation was at St. Patrick's Cathedral. We were all encouraged to pursue our dreams. They did not talk about the role of women in the home during a graduation.

There is a time and place for everything.

I bet a lot of Irish beer was drink that day homer simpson bathroom GIF

On 5/20/2024 at 8:27 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Sad times......

He was invited to speak at a private college...it wasn't like he went on YouTube or x with his beliefs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

😊

Everyone has the right to say what they want, including Butker and those criticizing Butker. Those standing up for Butker and using the freedom of speech argument have yet to defend those critizing Butker, instead using name-calling to disparage them. Funny how some see only one side criticizing others for their beliefs. They do not see themselves as doing the same to those for their differing views. 🤷‍♀️

Using his platform, David Vedder of Pearl Jam used his freedom of speech to blast Harrison Butker. Like many of us here, he asked what does Butker's message have to do with graduation.

“You’re going to benefit by giving up your dreams? I couldn’t understand the logic, so I’m questioning it in public right now… It’s not a graduation speech.”

-Eddie Vedder

“There’s nothing more masculine than a strong man supporting a strong woman.”

-Eddie Vedder

https://brobible.com/culture/article/eddie-vedder-harrison-butker-comments/

• Like 2

22 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

We sure overlook all the nonsense and criminal activity of athletes because they get paid to play a game. Free speech means free speech and if you don't agree doesn't mean people have to whine about i 

No it doesn’t.  Free speech means the government can’t throw you in jail for what you said and can’t make laws outlawing it. Even then there are limits like you can’t shout fire in a crowded movie theater.  Since Butker hasn’t been locked up for what he said and no one is making a law to outlaw it free speech is non issue here.

Freedom of speech is one of the most misused terms there is.  People seem to think it means that people can say whatever they want and it makes them immune to criticism.  It doesn’t work that way.  Yes you can say it but people are still aloud to form their own opinions and say what they want in response.  Butker is entitled to whatever beliefs he has.  He’s entitled to share those beliefs.  People are also entitled to say they don’t agree with those beliefs and find them offensive.  

Also, worth noting Freedom of Speech does not apply outside of public settings, so private businesses don’t have to follow it.  That’s why you can’t just walk up to your boss and tell them what you really think of them without facing repercussions for that action.  Samething with the Chiefs and the NFL, not that they are going to but yes they can punish Butker for what he said if they choose too.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

😊

Everyone has the right to say what they want, including Butker and those criticizing Butker. Those standing up for Butker and using the freedom of speech argument have yet to defend those critizing Butker, instead using name-calling to disparage them. Funny how some see only one side criticizing others for their beliefs. They do not see themselves as doing the same to those for their differing views. 🤷‍♀️

Using his platform, David Vedder of Pearl Jam used his freedom of speech to blast Harrison Butker. Like many of us here, he asked what does Butker's message have to do with graduation.

exactly

We are free to disagree with what people say.  In this case, the Benedictine sisters also disagreed

The sisters of Mount St. Scholastica said in a statement on Friday they don't believe the speech represents "the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested." The sisters are a founding institution and sponsor of Benedictine College, according to its website.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2024/05/18/harrison-butker-commencement-speech-benedictine-sisters-chiefs/73750896007/

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

😊

Eddie just play the music and shut up. Nobody paid to hear your ranting 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Aren’t you Mr free speech or does that only apply when you agree with what someone said?

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Lol. You just illustrated exactly what I wrote earlier.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also, worth noting Freedom of Speech does not apply outside of public settings, so private businesses don’t have to follow it.

Exactly. One person here wrote that a private institution invited Butker and therefore, he can say whatever he wishes. As you wrote, it is the government that cannot punish one for what they say, not private entities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. You just illustrated exactly what I wrote earlier.

Exactly. One person here wrote that a private institution invited Butker and therefore, he can say whatever he wishes. As you wrote, it is the government that cannot punish one for what they say, not private entities.

There's a common thing going on in America right now. It goes by: 

"Rules for thee but not for me"

Or essentially, "Only I'm allowed to state my opinion and others who disagree should not speak". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

😊

Just gonna say this once.

he had the right to say and think what he wants.

those that didn’t like it, or offended, are also well within their own rights to disagree with him and voice those disagreements 

those that agree with him, are equally allowed to defend him and his statements.

where I draw the line is the threats of violence being posted everywhere from ALL sides. Or those advocating that the league ban him, cut him, fine him etc.  While I do not agree with his comments or ideology, nothing he said warrants that kind of reaction. 

• Like 6

Y'all are nuts. Look, speech is free. That helps make our country great. But don't complain if people call you out on your crazy speech.

I also grew up in the 1970s when the women's liberation movement was in full bloom. And for realllllly good reasons. Women were shoehorned into staying home or only being qualified to be someone's secretary, a nurse or a teacher (all great professions by the way, but if you wanted more, the doors were shut). 

Women only got the right to VOTE in this country in 1920. That's less than 100 years ago. So Mr. kicker can man up and take the criticism of his limited world view. And women's liberation isn't the devil. It's equal and anyone who knows a woman should accept that they may want to be a mom, but they may also want more...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Y'all are nuts. Look, speech is free. That helps make our country great. But don't complain if people call you out on your crazy speech.

I also grew up in the 1970s when the women's liberation movement was in full bloom. And for realllllly good reasons. Women were shoehorned into staying home or only being qualified to be someone's secretary, a nurse or a teacher (all great professions by the way, but if you wanted more, the doors were shut). 

Women only got the right to VOTE in this country in 1920. That's less than 100 years ago. So Mr. kicker can man up and take the criticism of his limited world view. And women's liberation isn't the devil. It's equal and anyone who knows a woman should accept that they may want to be a mom, but they may also want more...

Perfectly said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Just gonna say this once.

he had the right to say and think what he wants.

those that didn’t like it, or offended, are also well within their own rights to disagree with him and voice those disagreements 

those that agree with him, are equally allowed to defend him and his statements.

where I draw the line is the threats of violence being posted everywhere from ALL sides. Or those advocating that the league ban him, cut him, fine him etc.  While I do not agree with his comments or ideology, nothing he said warrants that kind of reaction. 

You and I agree that all sides have a right to express themselves. However, many here who support Butker have written that he has the right to freely speak but they believe that others who disagree with Butker do not have the right to criticize him. Just read the comments here.

I don't think anyone here has threatened violence. Just check out the posts here.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You and I agree that all sides have a right to express themselves. However, many here who support Bukter say that he has the right to speak but others who disagree do not. Just read the comments here.

I don't think anyone here has threatened violence. Just check out the posts here.

Your statement is partially true.

All I’m opining is pertaining to this thread and posts on this thread only. Thanks to everyone for keeping it civil so far.

Everyone who disagrees with Butker still acknowledges he has the right to speak and express his views. (Referring to you saying those disagreeing with him do not)

Plus, none in this thread have even remotely mentioned violence whatsoever. (Referring to @csmopar mentioning it)