Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

And the winner of the 25th annual Colts draft contest is ...

7 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Archer ... with a total of 5 points for nailing perfectly the Jaylon Carlies pick at #151.

Congrats!!

The only other person to perfectly hit on a player for 5 points was Solid84 for picking Tanor Bortolini at #117, but he was deducted a point for predicting a trade back, which was wrong. Ohhh nooo!!!

Other shout outs go to jvan1973 and PureLuck, who both got 2 players right, but in the wrong slots.

I think it was Latu that threw us all off. We never thought we would get him and I think it affected all the picks after that resulting in our worse predictions collectively for the past 25 years of the contest!

Oh well ... next year will be different because Chad72 has agreed to take over this contest (maybe for the next 25 years?) and I am going to retire!

Thanks everyone for doing this every year with me. LOVE YOU ALL and GO COLTS!!

Hey, it’s not easy doing anything for 25 years other than maybe paying taxes but not the easy part. :) 

Thank you for keeping us Colts fans engaged and involved during draft time for all these years. I’m thrilled and honored to take over this draft contest for you.

Congratulations to @Archer!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Archer ... with a total of 5 points for nailing perfectly the Jaylon Carlies pick at #151.

Congrats!!

The only other person to perfectly hit on a player for 5 points was Solid84 for picking Tanor Bortolini at #117, but he was deducted a point for predicting a trade back, which was wrong. Ohhh nooo!!!

Other shout outs go to jvan1973 and PureLuck, who both got 2 players right, but in the wrong slots.

I think it was Latu that threw us all off. We never thought we would get him and I think it affected all the picks after that resulting in our worse predictions collectively for the past 25 years of the contest!

Oh well ... next year will be different because Chad72 has agreed to take over this contest (maybe for the next 25 years?) and I am going to retire!

I got 3 players right.   But I don't know if the points are enough.   Latu, bortilinni and simmons

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Congrats!!

Holy crap, I just read your last sentence.   I've been doing this with you since way back in the Rats days.   I hope everything is OK with you.   Thank you for doing this so long

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Congrats!!

I’d like to thank the academy.  I’d like to thank whatever website I was reading when I first heard of Jaylon Carlies, which made me think, “Hmmm, that huge safety might make a fantastic LB for the Colts.”  But most of all, I’d like to thank Dr. T for conceiving of and running this contest for so long.  I’ve really enjoyed entering and hitting on zero players most years!

• Like 6

Congratulations @Archer!

It was really tough this year. I thought last year was pretty straight forward, but the Colts let absolutely nothing slip this year!

I guess I should be extra PO’d I switched Latu to Turner in my 2nd entry. Oh well. 

It was great fun and really had me focused on the offseason again this year. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Congratulations @Archer!

It was really tough this year. I thought last year was pretty straight forward, but the Colts let absolutely nothing slip this year!

I guess I should be extra PO’d I switched Latu to Turner in my 2nd entry. Oh well. 

It was great fun and really had me focused on the offseason again this year. 

Yeah, now in the Steichen era, everyone is going to mix in high RAS guys with high production guys in their choices moving forward, this draft marked the first slight deviation. :) 

Finished 2nd SO MANY times, never finished 1st in this contest. So, a little luck always helps. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Congrats!!

Hope to see you competing with us from next year onwards :trout:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Quarter Century, That's a Lifetime Achievement!!! @Dr. T Thank You! :thanks:

Here's to Next 25 years for @chad72 :thmup:

We'll have someone else take over when the year turns 2050! haha

Man, I will be happy if I am still coherent on this forum then. Thanks for keeping my mind active, it is like a happy place on the internet, this forum!!!  :) 

waving happy gilmore GIF

• Like 1

Congrats to @Archer. This year was harsh for the contestants in the draft contest, but Archer's exact pick accompanied with him identifying him pre-draft as a potential LB conversion, is quite possibly the best call I've seen on this board on a prospect truly under the radar. 

Truly well deserved win. 

With that out of the way, I want to take a moment to thank @Dr. T for organizing and running one of the most fun activities on this board. I've been here for just the last 6-7 years, but this contest has turned into a highlight of the off-season for me. Hope everything is alright with our Dr. and he enjoys good retirement and I'm wishing good luck to @chad72. Big shoes to fill, no doubt he will continue the tradition in style. 

• Like 2

Thank you friends, and yes I am fine. I just thought it was time to pass the baton after 25 years and maybe I'll finally win this contest some day! I am so happy that Chad is going to continue this and look forward to competing with the rest of you next year! Love you all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I got 3 players right.   But I don't know if the points are enough.   Latu, bortilinni and simmons

You are correct jvan1973, and I missed it because you spelled Tanor's name wrong, but you still get 4 points. Unfortunately, your total was 4.5 so Archer still wins!

Wow, that was closer than I thought and getting three picks right was amazing!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr. T said:

You are correct jvan1973, and I missed it because you spelled Tanor's name wrong, but you still get 4 points. Unfortunately, your total was 4.5 so Archer still wins!

Wow, that was closer than I thought and getting three picks right was amazing!

I would hate to see someone lose because of a spelling error--especially since I had Orhorhoro.

chad72 March 29

"@Dr. T can the contestant, if they guess the round right, even with a trade down, still get the full points for the A, B, and C? If Ballard trades out of a round, the different round criteria will obviously apply."

I think your suggestion is an improvement over the exalted Dr. T's rules.

However, I think we should do away with the prediction of draft position and rounds altogether, and only predict the player in the Colts draft order. For instance, if you predict the Colts third selection is Goncalves and he is our third selection, you should get full points regardless of the round and his position in the entire draft.
Also, do not close the contest on Thursday at 11:00 AM CST in regard for us late-sleepers on the West Coast.

I pity the fool who has to follow in Dr. T's footsteps.

18 hours ago, craigerb said:

chad72 March 29

"@Dr. T can the contestant, if they guess the round right, even with a trade down, still get the full points for the A, B, and C? If Ballard trades out of a round, the different round criteria will obviously apply."

I think your suggestion is an improvement over the exalted Dr. T's rules.

However, I think we should do away with the prediction of draft position and rounds altogether, and only predict the player in the Colts draft order. For instance, if you predict the Colts third selection is Goncalves and he is our third selection, you should get full points regardless of the round and his position in the entire draft.
Also, do not close the contest on Thursday at 11:00 AM CST in regard for us late-sleepers on the West Coast.

I pity the fool who has to follow in Dr. T's footsteps.

Doing away with round selected won't happen, so prepare yourself. However getting the full round credit is definitely in the cards. For example, this year, Ballard gained 2 fifth rounders and if someone had slotted an early 5th rounder and late 5th rounder in one of their 3 choices for the 5th round and hits, they get the full credit for the 5th round. Thus, there is still strategy involved but getting the round right has to be the extra incentive always, it puts you as armchair GM, if you can do a good job of where the board will fall for certain players and positional runs. @PureLuck and @BlueStallion will get the full round credit for their Adonai Mitchell pick under my rules (which is remarkable on their part to predict Mitchell will drop to Round 2, IMO) and not penalized because Ballard chose to move from No.46 to No.52 in the same round. Anyways, we will resume discussion next year.

As far as closing the contest, I don't think it was closed till 8 pm ET (5 pm West Coast time) on draft day by the moderators upon my request. So I am not sure where you are getting the 11 am CST time from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Doing away with round selected won't happen, so prepare yourself. However getting the full round credit is definitely in the cards. For example, this year, Ballard gained 2 fifth rounders and if someone had slotted an early 5th rounder and late 5th rounder in one of their 3 choices for the 5th round and hits, they get the full credit for the 5th round. Thus, there is still strategy involved but getting the round right has to be the extra incentive always, it puts you as armchair GM, if you can do a good job of where the board will fall for certain players and positional runs. @PureLuck and @BlueStallion will get the full round credit for their Adonai Mitchell pick under my rules (which is remarkable on their part to predict Mitchell will drop to Round 2, IMO) and not penalized because Ballard chose to move from No.46 to No.52 in the same round. Anyways, we will resume discussion next year.

As far as closing the contest, I don't think it was closed till 8 pm ET (5 pm West Coast time) on draft day by the moderators upon my request. So I am not sure where you are getting the 11 am CST time from. 

I applaud you for taking input from the forum for the updated contest rules. I am preparing myself for them.
I guess I didn't get any points for my first round Mitchell prediction, because I said his first name was Quinyon. LOL.

BTW
"Dr. T Posted March 28

the contest is closed on Thursday at 11:00 AM CST April 25, 2024, on the first day of the draft."

3 hours ago, craigerb said:

I applaud you for taking input from the forum for the updated contest rules. I am preparing myself for them.
I guess I didn't get any points for my first round Mitchell prediction, because I said his first name was Quinyon. LOL.

BTW
"Dr. T Posted March 28

the contest is closed on Thursday at 11:00 AM CST April 25, 2024, on the first day of the draft."

Yeah, the mods control when threads are locked, so it is only fair game till the draft starts, just like fantasy football lineups lock at game time. :)  It could have just been a copy and paste faux paus from the past too. We all do that. Ultimately the right thing was done. 

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, the mods control when threads are locked, so it is only fair game till the draft starts, just like fantasy football lineups lock at game time. :)  It could have just been a copy and paste faux paus from the past too. We all do that. Ultimately the right thing was done. 

Want me to unlock it?

We were actually asked to lock that one at 8pm Day of Draft.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Want me to unlock it?

We were actually asked to lock that one at 8pm Day of Draft.

Yeah, go ahead and unlock it, please!!! :) 

We were in the midst of management change here, between @Dr. T and myself, LOL :)