Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is pre-draft obviously but I see:

Texans 11-6

Colts 9-8

Jags 9-8

Titans 6-11

AR is an upgrade over Minshew and should be better but the schedule is tougher and the AFC will even be Better. Steelers and Chargers will be better than last year, Jets as well if Rodgers stays healthy. With a great draft, the Colts could win 10. Bringing everyone back will at least give us solid chemistry. We need a playmaker/difference maker at WR with that 15th pick.

Texans have a 1st place schedule so I can't see them winning more than 11 but 11 will win the South.

Colts 11-6. Mark it down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I have a weird idea. Let's wait until free agency, the draft and cuts are made before declaring that the season is over. Just a thought.

Even weirder... Let's wait until at least week 5 or 6 of the regular season before we stick a fork in the team and declare them done. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Even weirder... Let's wait until at least week 5 or 6 of the regular season before we stick a fork in the team and declare them done. 

Last year, most"experts" on this forum and the media had the Texans and Colts slugging it out for the cellar in the AFC South and #1 2024 draft pic ....how did those predictions turn out?

I recall many on here crying that the Titans getting Hopkins and the Jags with Ridley proved that those teams knew what it takes to win...how did that work out?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hence the first sentence and second to last sentence of my post… You said the roster is good aside from the secondary, no? I asked if the secondary is improved, both in additions and more development from the current group, and this team has success this fall, will you say the process is not working? 

you have a wild way of side-stepping questions… 

When speaking of this roster and NFL rosters in general, all are pretty good as the guys that make it to the NFL are elite players. The difference lies in the achievements by said players and when and how those achievements are listed or viewed by all in the NFL landscape.

This Colt's group as a whole has not consistently measured up over the last 8 years and that is the issue. This team will shine and beat teams that are perennial top dogs every season then turn around and lose to lesser opponents or to division rivals in key moments.

When speaking of the individual accolades, no player on this team outside of Taylor carries any Superstar Mantra in their resume and even his light has somewhat diminished. Leonard was heading there before he got hurt, but it was at a position that doesn't move the fan needle. Pittman is a very good, borderline great possession receiver; however, he gets lost in the likes of a Hill, Jefferson, etc. as his mantra doesn't move the needle. 

Media and NFL fans gravitate to the big-name players and especially the ones who make HUGE NFL impact plays or whom are part of NFL teams that have had huge success which is wins/losses/championships. Indy has none of that for now 8 years.

Maybe 2 players that were considered Impact players, and maybe one if AR pans out. Think about that? In 8 years. Now that is subjective, however you have to take out the Colts bias that exists within this forum to do so. Nobody mentions these Colts players when speaking of the elite NFL players. No one outside of Indy and even then, it's hard-pressed. 

Then throw in the team's success with winning reg season games/playoffs/championships. It's a barren cupboard and has been a middle of the road team stuck on average for that entire 8 years. 

So, in conclusion ask yourself this: Taking the bias, small step analogies, and excuses out of the equation; Can you honestly look at this team under Ballard and say it has been successful in any facet to date? Success being measured in wins/losses and player talent recognized at the highest levels?

So here we are again within a "Ballard Off-Season". I'm siding with @Restinpeacesweetchloe on this one, even though she should be siding with me as I've been saying this now for years..Ha!! This roster is not good enough. Not now. Not in the last 8 years. 

And I'm siding with all the others who are finally waking up to understanding that Ballard is a constant right lane tortoise with this Colts team. Slow and steady, taking in the sights while the rest of the league are hares who mostly speeds right by in the outer lanes. So far, this tortoise and hare story is very different from the one Ballard is clinging to I'm afraid and I firmly believe it is time to join the hares however doing do would mean we would have to change our driver. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

When speaking of this roster and NFL rosters in general, all are pretty good as the guys that make it to the NFL are elite players. The difference lies in the achievements by said players and when and how those achievements are listed or viewed by all in the NFL landscape.

This Colt's group as a whole has not consistently measured up over the last 8 years and that is the issue. This team will shine and beat teams that are perennial top dogs every season then turn around and lose to lesser opponents or to division rivals in key moments.

When speaking of the individual accolades, no player on this team outside of Taylor carries any Superstar Mantra in their resume and even his light has somewhat diminished. Leonard was heading there before he got hurt, but it was at a position that doesn't move the fan needle. Pittman is a very good, borderline great possession receiver; however, he gets lost in the likes of a Hill, Jefferson, etc. as his mantra doesn't move the needle. 

Media and NFL fans gravitate to the big-name players and especially the ones who make HUGE NFL impact plays or whom are part of NFL teams that have had huge success which is wins/losses/championships. Indy has none of that for now 8 years.

Maybe 2 players that were considered Impact players, and maybe one if AR pans out. Think about that? In 8 years. Now that is subjective, however you have to take out the Colts bias that exists within this forum to do so. Nobody mentions these Colts players when speaking of the elite NFL players. No one outside of Indy and even then, it's hard-pressed. 

Then throw in the team's success with winning reg season games/playoffs/championships. It's a barren cupboard and has been a middle of the road team stuck on average for that entire 8 years. 

So, in conclusion ask yourself this: Taking the bias, small step analogies, and excuses out of the equation; Can you honestly look at this team under Ballard and say it has been successful in any facet to date? Success being measured in wins/losses and player talent recognized at the highest levels?

So here we are again within a "Ballard Off-Season". I'm siding with @Restinpeacesweetchloe on this one, even though she should be siding with me as I've been saying this now for years..Ha!! This roster is not good enough. Not now. Not in the last 8 years. 

And I'm siding with all the others who are finally waking up to understanding that Ballard is a constant right lane tortoise with this Colts team. Slow and steady, taking in the sights while the rest of the league are hares who mostly speeds right by in the outer lanes. So far, this tortoise and hare story is very different from the one Ballard is clinging to I'm afraid and I firmly believe it is time to join the hares however doing do would mean we would have to change our driver. 

You lost me entirely when you omitted Quenton Nelson as an impact player from your rambling.

By all accounts, Quenton, Braden Smith, JT, Grover all are towards the top of their positions and considered impact players. They have all been dramatically missed when not on the field. Pittman as well. What has been missing is consistent qb play. Ballard had 2 years of it with Andrew and Phil Rivers. 

Yes, I can honestly say, without bias, when factoring in the quarterback shuffling, they have been relatively successful from a winning standpoint... Andrew Luck carried far worse rosters to a couple winning seasons... When teams led by Carson Wentz and Gardner Minshew are a play or two away from a division title/playoffs, it's a far better roster than you will ever give credit to. 

Your tortoise and hare talk is just weird.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I think the Texans and the Colts are two teams that are in two different places.

The Texans won the division last season and are trying to make a splash in FA and compete with the big boys - KC, Buffalo, Bengals and Ravens. They are no longer content with just winning the division. 

The Colts on the other hand are just trying to win the division taking a step forward from last season.

Maybe this is why Ballard is being conservative. Because coming in 2nd place in the division could be a step up and meet Irsays approval giving Ballard another year

Ballard isn't stupid and this could be his goal

Huh?  I don't get this. 

34 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Last year, most"experts" on this forum and the media had the Texans and Colts slugging it out for the cellar in the AFC South and #1 2024 draft pic ....how did those predictions turn out?

I recall many on here crying that the Titans getting Hopkins and the Jags with Ridley proved that those teams knew what it takes to win...how did that work out?

Absolutely, some on here just like to write to express some sort of an opinion.   But everyone is allowed to dos so. 

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You lost me entirely when you omitted Quenton Nelson as an impact player from your rambling.

By all accounts, Quenton, Braden Smith, JT, Grover all are towards the top of their positions and considered impact players. They have all been dramatically missed when not on the field. Pittman as well. What has been missing is consistent qb play. Ballard had 2 years of it with Andrew and Phil Rivers. 

Yes, I can honestly say, without bias, when factoring in the quarterback shuffling, they have been relatively successful from a winning standpoint... Andrew Luck carried far worse rosters to a couple winning seasons... When teams led by Carson Wentz and Gardner Minshew are a play or two away from a division title/playoffs, it's a far better roster than you will ever give credit to. 

:td:

25 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And you intentionally left out where I said it was purely subjective, meaning that there would always be a few, you included who will mention players you are biased towards. I will give you Luck as I clearly forgot to list him. So, 3 players in 8 years that would move the needle. 

Newsflash. Nelson, Braden Smith or Glover is NOT recognized on a national front in the likes of the NFL elite. As an example, NOT once have I ever heard Smith's name outside of a local market or fan base forum. 

Guys like you miss the point. You always do, so it's no surprise that what I say is considered a ramble. As you clearly did exactly what I said you would do and asked you not to in my ramble.

TAKE OUT THE BIAS AND EXCUSES. < I capped and bolded this as clearly you cannot or choose not to follow along as you used "shuffling of QBs" and players whom you are biased towards in your rebuttal. 

37 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It's a metaphor in approach. Ballard in his approach to team building, "the tortoise", goes along slowly trying to outsmart the other NFL team's way of team building, "hares", in an attempt to cross the finish line, "win championships", first.

In the story, the tortoise outsmarts the hare and comes in first. In this story, that has not been the case. 

Sorry, that went over your head. 

15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

And you intentionally left out where I said it was purely subjective, meaning that there would always be a few, you included who will mention players you are biased towards. I will give you Luck as I clearly forgot to list him. So, 3 players in 8 years that would move the needle. 

Newsflash. Nelson, Braden Smith or Glover is NOT recognized on a national front in the likes of the NFL elite. As an example, NOT once have I ever heard Smith's name outside of a local market or fan base forum. 

Guys like you miss the point. You always do, so it's no surprise that what I say is considered a ramble. As you clearly did exactly what I said you would do and asked you not to in my ramble.

TAKE OUT THE BIAS AND EXCUSES. < I capped and bolded this as clearly you cannot or choose not to follow along as you used "shuffling of QBs" and players whom you are biased towards in your rebuttal. 

Nelson isn’t rated as elite in the national front? LOL. He’s been all-pro far more than not (that’s the definition of elite brother). Braden Smith has drawn a top 15 (of all tackles) rating by pff. We actually scored a top 10 duo tackle rating last year prior to Smith’s lingering injury issues. Grover’s run stop win rate was ranked 3rd in the league. So I believe you are the own showing bias to keep pounding your narrative that doesn’t mean anything… 

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

in 2-3 years if we hit on AR and Raimann, we’re going to have a few very expensive players to pay… Which puts an even greater emphasis on drafting well and not making mistakes with large free agent contracts. There has to be talent coming through the pipeline on a consistent basis. Stacking drafts, per se. Ballard has drafted o-line and d-line every single draft since he’s been here. That won’t stop. 

I’m fine with him constantly bringing guys in via the draft. That’s what you should do. My issue is that with the current pace to improving the roster (not really using FA) we’ll always be in the same spot. Having enough talent to be competitive, but never enough to make a run, because the rookie class is always going to make or break the team.

By the time your young players become vets ready for extensions, you’ll have another 3-4 core players who will be on the way out. For example, it’s great if JuJu Brent’s becomes a lockdown corner in year 3, but by that time you’re back needing a new center and WR1. This business model of relying exclusively on young players to perform early isn’t sustainable because it’s a constant chasing of the tail. You basically always have holes.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m fine with him constantly bringing guys in via the draft. That’s what you should do. My issue is that with the current pace to improving the roster (not really using FA) we’ll always be in the same spot. Having enough talent to be competitive, but never enough to make a run, because the rookie class is always going to make or break the team.

By the time your young players become vets ready for extensions, you’ll have another 3-4 core players who will be on the way out. For example, it’s great if JuJu Brent’s becomes a lockdown corner in year 3, but by that time you’re back needing a new center and WR1. This business model of relying exclusively on young players to perform early isn’t sustainable because it’s a constant chasing of the tail. You basically always have holes.

100% and that’s without factoring in draft misses which all GMs have. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Great post.

That's when you sign the FAs to put your team over the top during a window of opportunity.  Despite what many have thought about the roster I don't think Ballard has ever believed the Colts were ever close enough to make that splash, and that's why he has never done it so far.  Its not because its not in his DNA, as others boldly say.  JMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

100% and that’s without factoring in draft misses which all GMs have. 

Thats a good point that i forgot to make. It puts a lot of stress on hitting on every pick. And hitting on every pick is hard when the priority is put on guys with traits and upside. Again, this is why you should supplement your team with proven players.

His big thing is that there’s a lot of misses and bad contracts handed out in FA, but you’re probably more likely to miss in the draft. We see 1st round picks flame out all the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thats a good point that i forgot to make. It puts a lot of stress on hitting on every pick. And hitting on every pick is hard when the priority is put on guys with traits and upside. Again, this is why you should supplement your team with proven players.

His big thing is that there’s a lot of misses and bad contracts handed out in FA, but you’re probably more likely to miss in the draft. We see 1st round picks flame out all the time.

I get the theory behind what he wants to do, I just don’t think it works for the reasons you mentioned. 

In any given draft how many guys do you get that really move the needle for your team? 1 maybe 2? What happens if you don’t hit on the premium positions?

You basically have to string together 2+ 2018 level drafts and hit on all premium positions in them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Great post.

That's when you sign the FAs to put your team over the top during a window of opportunity.  Despite what many have thought about the roster I don't think Ballard has ever believed the Colts were ever close enough to make that splash, and that's why he has never done it so far.  Its not because its not in his DNA, as others boldly say.  JMO.

Would you have considered Hunter to be a splash? because he certainly tried. I don’t know if it’s so much as not being close as not being able to bring them in… 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Nailed it.  Yes, compare the attention the Colts players get on a national level to the attention they got during the Polian era.  

PM, Marvin, Reggie, Dallas, Mathis, Freeney, Sanders etc were all IMPACT players.  Tarik Glenn was a great LT, but it doesn't move the needle when your team actually has elite impact players on it.  Nelson as an impact player?  That's hilarious.

Sure, those guys mentioned got national accolades because the team was winning.  And maybe AR puts us into the winning columns frequently so that players like JuJu. Paye, Ebukam, Pittman, Downs, and Woods get recognized like their counterparts during the PM era did.  (I say that with sarcasm at the moment).

And sure, comparing any Colts teams to those glorious PM years is a pretty tough standard to meet.  But golly, we aren't even in sniffing range of that goal, and that is the main issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Nelson isn’t rated as elite in the national front? LOL. He’s been all-pro far more than not (that’s the definition of elite brother). Braden Smith has drawn a top 15 (of all tackles) rating by pff. We actually scored a top 10 duo tackle rating last year prior to Smith’s lingering injury issues. Grover’s run stop win rate was ranked 3rd in the league. So I believe you are the own showing bias to keep pounding your narrative that doesn’t mean anything… 

Again, I also think it's a matter of context on both our sides argument here. Nelson to me is an elite guard, but he is a guard. A guard does not move the needle to which I'm speaking, at least in my context. A bona-fide household superstar where even the casual NFL fan would know, Nelson is not. At his position, sure, but he doesn't move the NFL needle of relevancy aside from being a top 5 at his position and a Colt's fan fave. 

Either way, you have your take, I have mine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

His big thing is that there’s a lot of misses and bad contracts handed out in FA, but you’re probably more likely to miss in the draft. We see 1st round picks flame out all the time

Considering our last gm couldn’t hit in either, I’m ok with our current route… I think people forget how bad some of the deals Grigson pulled were. He inherited Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, Castonzo, and the #1 no brainer Andrew Luck pick. That’s 4 positions that Ballard has struggled to replace. All inherited by the last gm. The free agency contracts he dished out to try and piece an o-line together (when he had the left tackle already set) and failed miserably. His drafts past 2012 were brutal. We think our secondary is bad now, go watch the home opener against Detroit 2016. I was there and it was embarrassing. Andrew Luck had nearly 400 yards and 4 touchdowns and we still lost. 

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Would you have considered Hunter to be a splash? because he certainly tried. I don’t know if it’s so much as not being close as not being able to bring them in… 

Sure.  He may be sold that AR is the savior and we are close this season.  I don't think he thought that with Wentz or Ryan years though.  He may have thought that with wanting Rivers back and signing Funchess. 

He's never been opposed to bringing in players, IMO.  But there hasn't been a real flurry like other teams have been doing lately.  And I think the landscape has changed since 2018/2019.   I expect him to make more splashes once AR shows to be the guy.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Sure.  He may be sold that AR is the savior and we are close this season.  I don't think he thought that with Wentz or Ryan years though.  He may have thought that with Rivers, when he signed Funchess. 

He's never been opposed to bringing in players, IMO.  But there hasn't been a real flurry like other teams have been doing lately.  And I think the landscape has changed since 2018/2019.   I expect him to make more splashes once AR shows to be the guy.

If AR shows to be the guy, I’m not sure they’ll change their approach at all. I really don’t know that it will happen. Maybe one splash at a key position, especially if it’s lacking. I just don’t see us engaging in “flurries” like you refer to. Regardless of who is general manager here. Irsay lived through being pushy on that once and it backfired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I have a weird idea. Let's wait until free agency, the draft and cuts are made before declaring that the season is over. Just a thought.

Let's wait until someone declares that the season is over before asking everyone to wait before declaring it. 

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

My new laugh Emoji chuckling homer simpson GIF- I agree though. My early projections is just going by now. A lot can change. We could draft 1 or 2 players that are outstanding, AR might be the real deal, and the reason why predicting anything is tough is because of injury. For all we know, CJ Stroud could break his toe getting out of the shower (sarcasm), but injuries/staying healthy are critical to any team succeeding. Look at this past season with all the QBs out.

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If AR shows to be the guy, I’m not sure they’ll change their approach at all. I really don’t know that it will happen. Maybe one splash at a key position, especially if it’s lacking. I just don’t see us engaging in “flurries” like you refer to. Regardless of who is general manager here. Irsay lived through being pushy on that once and it backfired. 

I think the landscape has changed where teams who are close seem to be making a higher volume of bold moves.  That may move Ballard to start doing more of that.  Not that he'll ever match the market in that way, but market changes drive everybody to move in its direction unless they have support from the owner to be defiantly bullheaded in perpetuity. 

I'm not as negative on Ballard as others.  I truly believe he has had a lower opinion of his team than many of his supporters do.  And Irsay knows it and is cool with it because he likes Ballard's decision making process, even if the results are slow 

After all, they have never "had the QB", so why make any real splashes for 8 years.

All these splash big names players when PM was here where big name because were in the national spotlight because we had one of the best QBs of all time. We had Luck but the last GM ruined him by not surrounding him with a decent OL which some on here discard as important to a team and QBs success.

If AR is the real deal and we get in the national spotlight  again names like Nelson and other OL personnel as well as Buckner and the DL and Pittman and an improved receiver core will be big names. There are probably 25 or so other teams that are trying to improve and make a big splash but without a good QB a team will struggle to make it to the big dance. I like our team and my wife is really into the team so can't wait for the season to start and can't wait to see if AR is the man. Like our GM and and really think he took his time and found the next great coach.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

in 2-3 years if we hit on AR and Raimann, we’re going to have a few very expensive players to pay…

I missed this before.

Do you see what some of us have been saying for a few years?  THESE are the positions that you want to hit on, and retain as one of your own.  Put RDE in there too, and IMO, the #1 WR we don't yet have.  

Ballard came into this team 8 years ago having Luck...but also having an aging AC, TY, and no replacement for Mathis on the roster.  Instead of being more urgent and focusing capital to hit on those spots, he's hit on the easier spots to find like Gs, ILBs,, RBs, ...contracts that are NOT relatively expensive or that hard to find in FA or the mid rounds.  Just not that impressive thus far if you pull back out of the weeds of individual players and look at where we stand in the broad NFL landscape.

48 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Considering our last gm couldn’t hit in either, I’m ok with our current route… I think people forget how bad some of the deals Grigson pulled were. He inherited Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne, Castonzo, and the #1 no brainer Andrew Luck pick. That’s 4 positions that Ballard has struggled to replace. All inherited by the last gm. The free agency contracts he dished out to try and piece an o-line together (when he had the left tackle already set) and failed miserably. His drafts past 2012 were brutal. We think our secondary is bad now, go watch the home opener against Detroit 2016. I was there and it was embarrassing. Andrew Luck had nearly 400 yards and 4 touchdowns and we still lost. 

You guys know I'm Grigson biggest critic here. But you know what I would never crush him for - pursuing the right positions with top picks(Trent Richardson aside...). Grigson got TY Hilton. NONE of the receivers Ballard has gotten even sniff the impact TY had for this team. Grigson got Vontae Davis(rest in peace) for a second. NONE of the secondary players Ballard has ever gotten even sniff the impact Vontae had for this team. He also tried addressing other top tier positions with high picks - picked another receiver in the 1st and one more in the 3d in the years immediately AFTER he hit on TY Hilton, picked EDGE rusher in the 1st... Now... those didn't work... like almost all of his picks and he was truly awful evaluator of talent and deservedly got ousted... but can you see just how important hitting a homerun on FEW players at the most important positions is, compared to consistently hitting singles and doubles on the least important positions in football? Grigson pretty much hit big on 3 players in his entire tenure and those 3 players dragged his Colts teams to more wins and playoff appearances than anything master drafter and player evaluator Ballard has done so far. 

And again... do NOT mistake this post of mine with defense of Grigson... I freaking despise him for what him and his coaches did to Luck. 

But at this point you just have to draw the line and make some comparisons since both have had the same length tenure with the Colts. I think Ballard's Colts have more overall talent and are much more well rounded team. Ballard's players actually play in the league even years after they've been gone from the Colts, while with Grigson's players... there was some stat that showed some insane number of them not being in the league by the time he was gone. But what Grigson had was... he had Luck... and he had TY Hilton... and he had AC(not his pick, but he had him)... and he had Vontae.... and he had sub-par talent at most other positions on the roster. He had great talent at the most important positions in football, though... and that was enough for 11 wins any time Luck was healthy. 

• Like 2

So what I’ve seen hint here a few times that I think is a very good point to bring up is what Ballard did by keeping his own was make sure there weren’t more holes to fill.  I understand that some fans want for upgrades but if he had landed a big splash free agent he would have to let one or two of the guys he kept go to make room for them under the cap.  It wasn’t going to be guys like Bryan or Lewis either.  It would have been guys like Grover or Moore, who were a lot people’s you can’t lose these guys after Pittman.  

Yes Ballard could have moved money around to make more room with the cap but it’s pretty clear he doesn’t want to do that.  He’s banking on his younger guys getting better and he’s banking on this core.  I go back to something Holder talked about how after Franklin signed his extension he said now we have to get some banners and how the Colts loved that because they felt by giving these guys money they were saying it’s on you now and the bar is raised.  

Ballard knows they have work to do.  He knows they need more players and he’s probably banking on finding most of them in the draft with a free agent here or there.  If you look at most of the really good teams in the NFL that’s what they do.  They assemble their core through the draft and add a free agent here or there.  Yes, there are exceptions to that, but most of the mortgaged a significant part of their future to do it.  Ballard also knows the Colts aren’t there yet.  Again, while Richardson looked really promising in the four games we saw him last year that’s not enough to say let’s go all in.  First they need to know can he simply stay healthy.  Second, they need to know can he sustain the success over the course of a season as teams adjust to you and figure out ways to attack you or was it just a really four game stretch before the league figured you out?

What Ballard doesn’t have to do now is fill new holes created by letting good players leave.  He just has to focus on filling the holes we knew the team had coming out of the season.  Yes, he’s going to have to hit on his draft picks and some mid level free agents to do that, and even if he does there will still be holes, that’s what the salary cap in the NFL does.  

Is this the only way to build a team?  No it’s not.  There is also no promise it will work either.  A lot is going to depend on Richardson.  If he becomes who the Colts think he can when he was drafted then yes it probably will work and people will be back to signing Ballard’s praises in a year or two.  If he doesn’t then the yells for Ballard to be fired will only get louder and ultimately Irsay is going to adjust his position on Ballard to fire him.  That’s why you don’t just take a franchise QB to take one.  You take one you truly believe in it because your job future as a GM literally depends on that kid working out.  

i also think if Richardson does workout  you might very well see Ballard adjust his approach to future off-seasons and be more willing to mortgage a little of the future to try to get the Colts over the top, just like Polian did by signing Corey Simon and then AV and trading for Booger the next year.  This just wasn’t the off-season to do that because they still don’t know if Richardson is the guy or not and it all starts there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

You guys know I'm Grigson biggest critic here. But you know what I would never crush him for - pursuing the right positions with top picks(Trent Richardson aside...). Grigson got TY Hilton. NONE of the receivers Ballard has gotten even sniff the impact TY had for this team. Grigson got Vontae Davis(rest in peace) for a second. NONE of the secondary players Ballard has ever gotten even sniff the impact Vontae had for this team. He also tried addressing other top tier positions with high picks - picked another receiver in the 1st and one more in the 3d in the years immediately AFTER he hit on TY Hilton, picked EDGE rusher in the 1st... Now... those didn't work... like almost all of his picks and he was truly awful evaluator of talent and deservedly got ousted... but can you just how important hitting homerun on FEW players at the most important positions is, compared to consistently hitting singles and doubles on the least important positions in football? Grigson pretty much hit big on 3 players in his entire tenure and those 3 players dragged his Colts teams to more wins and playoff appearances than anything master drafter and player evaluator Ballard has done so far. 

And again... do NOT mistake this post of mine with defense of Grigson... I freaking despise him for what him and his coaches did to Luck. 

But at this point you just have to draw the line and make some comparisons since both have had the same length tenure with the Colts. I think Ballard's Colts have more overall talent and are much more well rounded team. Ballard's players actually play in the league even years after they've been gone from the Colts, while with Grigson's players... there was some stat that showed some insane number of them not being in the league by the time he was gone. But what Grigson had was... he had Luck... and he had TY Hilton... and he had AC(not his pick, but he had him)... and he had Vontae.... and he had sub-par talent at most other positions on the roster. He had great talent at the most important positions in football, though... and that was enough for 11 wins any time Luck was healthy. 

...and the AFC was relatively weaker compared to where it is now, outside the Broncos and Patriots, IMO, and we beat 1 of them with Luck in the playoffs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You guys know I'm Grigson biggest critic here. But you know what I would never crush him for - pursuing the right positions with top picks(Trent Richardson aside...). Grigson got TY Hilton. NONE of the receivers Ballard has gotten even sniff the impact TY had for this team. Grigson got Vontae Davis(rest in peace) for a second. NONE of the secondary players Ballard has ever gotten even sniff the impact Vontae had for this team. He also tried addressing other top tier positions with high picks - picked another receiver in the 1st and one more in the 3d in the years immediately AFTER he hit on TY Hilton, picked EDGE rusher in the 1st... Now... those didn't work... like almost all of his picks and he was truly awful evaluator of talent and deservedly got ousted... but can you just how important hitting homerun on FEW players at the most important positions is, compared to consistently hitting singles and doubles on the least important positions in football? Grigson pretty much hit big on 3 players in his entire tenure and those 3 players dragged his Colts teams to more wins and playoff appearances than anything master drafter and player evaluator Ballard has done so far. 

I think the thing with Grigs with many, even myself is, he had Andrew Luck gifted to him and could never build a SB Champion from 2012-2016 when Luck was healthy. Having Andrew would make any GMs easier because they can draft at any other position and take more gambles doing so. Grigs hitting on TY and trading for Davis was the 2 best moves he ever made IMO. Drafting Luck was a no brainer. He made 2 great moves but several blunders unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the thing with Grigs with many, even myself is, he had Andrew Luck gifted to him and could never build a SB Champion from 2012-2016 when Luck was healthy. Having Andrew would make any GMs easier because they can draft at any other position and take more gambles doing so. Grigs hitting on TY and trading for Davis was the 2 best moves he ever made IMO. Drafting Luck was a no brainer. He made 2 great moves but several blunders unfortunately. 

Yep... agreed. I don't want to pile on Grigson any more than I have in the past. I've written in the past that he should never be given any decision-making role on any football team ever for what him and Pagano did to Luck. And he made more than several blunders unfortunately. He was just... bad... really bad... he was so bad in general that IMO even the TY and Davis acquisitions scream pure luck to me rather than some great evaluator insight. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

You say that he pursued the right positions with top picks, but TY was not a top pick. Parris Campbell, Alec Pierce, Josh Downs and Michael Pittman were all drafted higher than TY. Three of those are still on roster, and while they are no TY Hilton, I think we all know what TY had that those three have not... 

He picked an edge rusher that did absolutely nothing. Guess what? Ballard picked a 1st round edge that at least has produced and still has opportunity to grow on this team. Again, Grigson didn't have to target the "right positions" because he already had them filled when he stepped into this role. In fact, I would argue that had anyone but Grigson been GM, we would have experienced much greater success. He was that bad... His first day on the job, he walked up to the best punter in the league and a fan favorite and told him right to his face he would cut him, but Irsay wouldn't allow it. Those are facts. He was bad and he was a *. It's a large reason why I cringe at the thought of firing Ballard and potentially hiring Ryan Grigson. He was awful. The only year that Ballard had Luck, he won a playoff game. That told me everything to know about Grigson's success... Free-rider on the coattails of #12. Sure, he tried. Man, did he try. He just sucked at it... 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep... agreed. I don't want to pile on Grigson any more than I have in the past. I've written in the past that he should never be given any decision-making role on any football team ever for what him and Pagano did to Luck. And he made more than several blunders unfortunately. He was just... bad... really bad... he was so bad in general that IMO even the TY and Davis acquisitions scream pure luck to me rather than some great evaluator insight. 

The trade for Davis was brilliant. -  but then he turns around and trades for Richardson.  SMH. Yeah, like you, I won't pile on the man, I have took it easy on Ballard for the most part (mainly because Luck retired shockingly) but my patience with Ballard is wearing thin I have to admit. No Division Titles in 7 years under Ballard isn't pretty. We should have won it last year but didn't, close doesn't count.