Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Not sure if you saw my other post where the Bills changed OCs mid season.

If you could run diggs numbers the 1st half of the season compared to the second half you would see his 1st half numbers were very good.

Also he played injured the second half of the season which is very un diva like

The Bills also started winning when they adjusted their passing game away from forcing the ball to Diggs. And Diggs didn't really like that. 

There's also no acknowledgment of an injury from Diggs or the team, and he was not on the injury report. 

58 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Really missing the laughing emoji lol if ya'll saw me IRL you'd know laughing is about 90 percent of my life 🤣 so many funny posts i found myself saying "opps oh yeah i cant" 

Anyways i almost forgot to mention something about this thread.. so um I guess the Texans are getting their primetime games restored this year.... opening night dare I say?

Rest assured my friend. They’ll be sure to have us play the Texans opening night IN Texas. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not trying to call you out. I don't do subliminals, you know that. I'm asking for a good faith discussion without name calling and labeling. I don't call you or anyone else a Ballard hater just because you disagree with me on something he does or doesn't do.

I don't think not trading for someone like Diggs has any relevance to my opinion on Ballard. Eye rolling because people are hyperventilating about a player that they didn't even want is very different from being an apologist.

Do you really not understand this isn’t about Diggs. Most fans probably didn’t want him. It’s about Ballards failure at improving this team. Thst doesn’t mean we wanted diggs. This is not about that  player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

They also had a huge fire sale and traded away some of their best players to accumulate extra picks. Their “superstar” QB ended up being an * and the Browns ended up being even bigger *s in trading for him. 

Not to mention the Texans absolutely sucked for like 2-3 years straight. 

They haven’t even reaped the rewards of that yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not trying to call you out. I don't do subliminals, you know that. I'm asking for a good faith discussion without name calling and labeling.

I don't think not trading for someone like Diggs has any relevance to my opinion on Ballard. Eye rolling because people are hyperventilating about a player that they didn't even want is very different from being an apologist.

Fair. Here's my point of view:

Diggs is not elite anymore (if he ever was). I think most would at least have called him great at some point in his career? I still think he's near being on par with Pittman and that's a bigger move than Ballard has ever made in FA. They essentially got him for taking his contract and a late 2nd rounder. This is not a move that will hinder the Texans if it doesn't work out.

It's not about Diggs. It's about Ballard doing nothing while the other teams in our division at least are trying.

Edit: Also, several of the "eyerollers" are the same people making excuses for Ballard everytime this team achieves nothing. I apologise if that included a few people who don't traditionally apologise on Ballard's behalf.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….  That’s a great non-answer answer.   Just like yesterday’s non-answer answer when I told you Ballard says you’re wrong.   

Ok….    Whatever.   

For years I've wanted explosion vs pancakes.   And made many posts with that same principal.   If the GM does it, when he does it, if he does it, I'll be happy.

If I'm not yet happy....wellllllll....I guess the explosion hasn't yet been greater than the pancakes.

If you are changing the subject to being about what I have posted over the past day, week, month, or years; that explanation is about as nonsensical summary I can give.  The fact that you perpetually choose to ignore it or forget it only serves your need for stoking your argument that you haven't let go of since the Nelson pick.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you really not understand this isn’t about Diggs. Most fans probably didn’t want him. It’s about Ballards failure at improving this team. Thst doesn’t mean we wanted diggs. This is not about that  player.

Excuse me, but the comment I responded to was specifically about Diggs. 

In order for a quick turnaround to happen, the entire organization has to first collapse, accumulate a ton of picks, and somehow hit bullseye with a star franchise QB. Houston fans should consider it immense luck what has happened so far, because it often doesn’t work out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Strange but I've read on this board where some Colts fans think Bowers is overrated 

I'm not sure if Bowers is that good or the guys trying to tackle him are that bad, but personally  I'd rather add an explosive  wr that can catch. Somebody like brian thomas jr, odunze, harrison,or nabors. Not sure about worthy as he is on the small side

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Noone and that's not the point. We've had this discussion you and I and you should know by now where I stand on how to handle FA. Caserio is using FA to improve the their team. Ballard is plugging holes with duds and jags instead of finding pieces we can build around - in FA AND the draft.

In short: Caserio is making a move to improve to their team (no matter what it is) while Ballard is not. Meanwhile the apologists are grasping at anything to cover Ballard's behind.

Diggs is over 30 and past his prime. He has done nothing in the playoffs.  Nothing to get excited about for the Texans. 

1 minute ago, tfunky14 said:

Diggs is over 30 and past his prime. He has done nothing in the playoffs.  Nothing to get excited about for the Texans. 

You know there are 53 players on a team right? But if that's you measuringstick for how good players are how do you view Colts players?

Grover is 30. Buckner is 30. How much have they won?

I think that's a weird way to evalute players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

For years I've wanted explosion vs pancakes.   And made many posts with that same principal.   If the GM does it, when he does it, if he does it, I'll be happy.

If I'm not yet happy....wellllllll....

If you are changing the subject to being about what I have posted over the past day, week, month, or years; that explanation is about as nonsensical summary I can give.  The fact that you perpetually choose to ignore it or forget it only serves your need for stoking your argument that you haven't let go of since the Nelson pick.

That I haven’t let go of since the Nelson pick?!?!?   Dear God, you’ve led a cottage industry on how wrong the Nelson pick was.  It started draft night 2018 and it’s been six years now.   But you point the finger at me.  

How nice that you’re judge and jury and you’re always innocent and everyone else is always guilty.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Fair. Here's my point of view:

Diggs is not elite anymore (if he ever was). I think most would at least have called him great at some point in his career? I still think he's near being on par with Pittman and that's a bigger move than Ballard has ever made in FA. They essentially got him for taking his contract and a late 2nd rounder. This is not a move that will hinder the Texans if it doesn't work out.

It's not about Diggs. It's about Ballard doing nothing while the other teams in our division at least are trying.

And if I'm not * about this today after the Diggs trade, I'm an apologist? Why do people who view this differently have to be talked down about?

Specific to this trade, I'm pretty wary of Diggs, so despite the relatively low cost (a 2nd plus $19m isn't nothing, btw), it's not something for which I would advocate. Especially with a young QB and core that had success without Diggs. He might be WR3 for them, and if he's not happy, they're going to hear about it. So while it probably won't be a setback for them even if it doesn't work out, I don't think it's a great move.

And I could be wrong, and he plays great, and everyone's happy, and the Texans continue to separate from the Colts. I'll have no problem admitting that. I still don't think the Colts should have considered taking this swing for this player.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

In order for a quick turnaround to happen, the entire organization has to first collapse, accumulate a ton of picks, and somehow hit bullseye with a star franchise QB. Houston fans should consider it immense luck what has happened so far, because it often doesn’t work out. 

Its a short term sport.  Nobody cares about failure that happened years ago.  Nobody cares about the previous HC or GM that got fired.   

Except if the conversation is about that same guy who is responsible for both the failures and then the wins, you can't really ignore the past.

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

And if I'm not * about this today after the Diggs trade, I'm an apologist? Why do people who view this differently have to be talked down about?

Specific to this trade, I'm pretty wary of Diggs, so despite the relatively low cost (a 2nd plus $19m isn't nothing, btw), it's not something for which I would advocate. Especially with a young QB and core that had success without Diggs. He might be WR3 for them, and if he's not happy, they're going to hear about it. So while it probably won't be a setback for them even if it doesn't work out, I don't think it's a great move.

And I could be wrong, and he plays great, and everyone's happy, and the Texans continue to separate from the Colts. I'll have no problem admitting that. I still don't think the Colts should have considered taking this swing for this player.

It's no different than "apologists" labelling me and others here who share my opinion on Ballard for "haters" is it? Why do we have to be talked down on? I mean, we've been shoved into this thread because we aren't happy with Ballard's approach...

He's been troublesome no doubt, but I think it's a fresh start for him. I also think he knows this is likely his last chance so it's put up or shut up.

I didn't want the Colts to take him. The Texans must have come to the conclusion they couldn't get better with their current picks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

It's no different than "apologists" labelling me and others here who share my opinion on Ballard for "haters" is it? Why do we have to be talked down on? I mean, we've been shoved into this thread because we aren't happy with Ballard's approach...

He's been troublesome no doubt, but I think it's a fresh start for him. I also think he knows this is likely his last chance so it's put up or shut up.

I didn't want the Colts to take him. The Texans must have come to the conclusion they couldn't get better with their current picks.

All the labeling and name calling is annoying, and should stop, IMO. I don't think I engage in that way.

Although, I think some would be proud to be labelled Ballard haters. Someone just called him dumb... The discourse gets pretty sharp, and the knives come out. And from my perspective, it's usually anyone who isn't grabbing a pitchfork that gets called an apologist, or labeled as someone who is content with mediocrity. 

• Like 5

All the Texans moves just puts more pressure them and shows they feel like they needed to do quite a bit to be better. We did beat them at home last year and was pretty much one play from sweeping them with our backup qb.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Although, I think some would be proud to be labelled Ballard haters. Someone just called him dumb... The discourse gets pretty sharp, and the knives come out. And from my perspective, it's usually anyone who isn't grabbing a pitchfork that gets called an apologist, or labeled as someone who is content with mediocrity. 

Can we have a 3rd category? I fit in the group of those who think Ballard could be doing better, but realize he's not leaving regardless of our feelings. I don't understand why accepting things out of control is often viewed as "weak". As if yelling at the sky is going make me more of a "man" for not accepting things? 

• Like 6

Just now, RollerColt said:

Can we have a 3rd category? I fit in the group of those who think Ballard could be doing better, but realize he's not leaving regardless of our feelings. I don't understand why accepting things out of control is often viewed as "weak". As if yelling at the sky is going make me more of a "man" for not accepting things? 

There's actually quite a wide spectrum of opinions on Ballard. A few weeks ago, someone said I've 'flipped sides' because I was critical of some of his decisions. Why are there sides? Why can't I have my own perspective without there being a line in the sand and I have to choose which side I'm on?

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That I haven’t let go of since the Nelson pick?!?!?   Dear God, you’ve led a cottage industry on how wrong the Nelson pick was.  It started draft night 2018 and it’s been six years now.   But you point the finger at me.  

How nice that you’re judge and jury and you’re always innocent and everyone else is always guilty.  

I've led a cottage industry?  Hmmm.  Is that how you view roles on a forum.  A few leaders and the rest being following know nothings?  That's pretty elite. 

I've said for years that when the Colts start getting impactful (aka explosive)  players at important (aka explosive) positions, ( explosion vs pancakes, aka positional value, aka interior vs boundary aka...any number of different expressions). the Colts will be real contenders.  That has been the basis for nearly all of my posts "over the years".  In fact, I don't have much else to say here if it doesn't touch on that principal in some way.

When we pass that standard, the Colts will win.  because that's how games are won in the NFL in the post 2010 era.  There is no lingering beef here.  Every day the Colts get measured against that standard, like I have been doing every day for the past 7 years.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Lets see if it brings anything.

Today it brought us Blackmon.  And brought the Texans Diggs,

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's actually quite a wide spectrum of opinions on Ballard. A few weeks ago, someone said I've 'flipped sides' because I was critical of some of his decisions. Why are there sides? Why can't I have my own perspective without there being a line in the sand and I have to choose which side I'm on?

Very fair point, yes I recall reading that as well. 

I think it's pretty reasonable to still support the team and the leadership while also disagreeing with their choices. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Very fair point, yes I recall reading that as well. 

I think it's pretty reasonable to still support the team and the leadership while also disagreeing with their choices. 

I can also disagree with some choices, agree with others, and be neutral on others.

• Like 1

Regarding the Texans and Ballard:

im not mad at Ballard.  We brought our players back.  But now that we have everyone back, ITS TIME TO GET BETTER.  Texans just made Ballard seat hotter.  This year, I didn’t expect us to make a lot of splashes, maybe one.  But next year, now that everyone is locked up, we need to add some serious talent.  The Texans are not playing at all.  

They have given Stroud the weapons needed to succeed.  I’ve said it before, the formula for when you have a young stud qb on a rookie deal is to have a star WR getting paid (ex. Diggs, Pittman) and have a stud capable WR1 on a rookie deal (ex. Tank dell).  Every team has done it, except for the chiefs because they have pat Mahomes.

ballard, the clock is ticking.  The world isn’t ending, but it has an end date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That’s where I am at.  While I wish he had done a few other things this off-season I can normally see the logic behind his decisions once you think about it rather you agree with the logic or not.  Further more it doesn’t really matter what I think about the job he’s done because I don’t get a say on if he keeps his job.  That all depends on Irsay who I don’t think is going to fire Ballard this off-season unless the Colts do something like going 0-17 with Richardson starting all 17 games and I don’t think that’s going to happen.  Also, since Irsay owns the team there is no firing him so even if fans don’t like the decisions he’s making fans are going to have to live with it if they want to be Colts fans.  

So as a Colts fan who wants to see the Colts do well above all else all I can do is hope what Ballard is doing works.  Not that people are cheering for the Colts to fail so they will fire Ballard but that’s really the only other option and I don’t see the logic in that.  

As for people being critical of Ballard that’s perfectly fine, I just said I don’t agree with everything he’s done this season.  However, there is a difference in being critical of what he does and going after people who dare to suggest Ballard is anything short of the worst GM in the history of football and everything he does is wrong just because Ballard did it and aren’t willing to see a middle ground at all.  I’ve said many times and will say again Ballard is far from perfect but he’s also far from the worst GM in the history of the Colts, let alone the NFL.  

IMO hes been above average but he’s also had a challenge at the QB spot most GMs never face because most GMs don’t have their franchise QB retire in his prime.  Since then if you look at what they’ve done at the QB spot it’s easy to see why Irsay isn’t putting it all on Ballard and gave him another chance with Richardson.

Brissett - there was nothing Ballard could do about that one due to Luck’s retirement.

Rivers - worked

Wentz - Irsay clearly held Reich responsible for that move and not Ballard rather fans agree or not

Ryan - plain miss but again I think Irsay went that should have worked but just didn’t that happens sometimes again rather fans agree or not.

Richardson - Is tied to Ballard.  If Richardson works Ballard keeps his job.  If he fails Ballard is going to be gone.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Regarding the Texans and Ballard:

im not mad at Ballard.  We brought our players back.  But now that we have everyone back, ITS TIME TO GET BETTER.  Texans just made Ballard seat hotter.  This year, I didn’t expect us to make a lot of splashes, maybe one.  But next year, now that everyone is locked up, we need to add some serious talent.  The Texans are not playing at all.  

They have given Stroud the weapons needed to succeed.  I’ve said it before, the formula for when you have a young stud qb on a rookie deal is to have a star WR getting paid (ex. Diggs, Pittman) and have a stud capable WR1 on a rookie deal (ex. Tank dell).  Every team has done it, except for the chiefs because they have pat Mahomes.

ballard, the clock is ticking.  The world isn’t ending, but it has an end date.

The time is now. Not next year. We just had an evaluation test with a new coach and QB. Delaying it is not the right answer. Ballard only has one scape goat left and that’s Bradley.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am beginning to question  the entire organizations evaluation of their current roster. They are either very bad at understanding their current roster or yeah they aren’t putting their best effort forward. There is no middle ground here.

you are just now beginning to do that? 

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

• Thanks 1

The time is now. Not next year. We just had an evaluation test with a new coach and QB. Delaying it is not the right answer. Ballard only has one scape goat left and that’s Bradley.

I agree, but there aren’t many more moves to make other than signing a FS.  The WRs we can trade for are going to need new BIG contracts which we can’t do because we already have one.  Regarding our needs on defense, we tried.  

I do agree, the time is now.  But I will say this, we shouldn’t have traded for diggs.  He’s old and expensive.  Texans are clearly in win now mode, which is fine.  They’ve had the time and resources to do it.  Now next offseason, we should be in win now mode and if we aren’t, Ballard won’t be here much longer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am beginning to question  the entire organizations evaluation of their current roster. They are either very bad at understanding their current roster or yeah they aren’t putting their best effort forward. There is no middle ground here.

um, there is a third option, which is that they are better at talent evaluation than you are.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jason_ said:

um, there is a third option, which is that they are better at talent evaluation than you are.  

hey now. People play madden and religiously follow pff… they are more than qualified to run a multi billion dollar football franchise. Far better than these losers that have worked 70 plus hours a week for decades in the business. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

I came to read the whiners whine about not trading for Diggs.............and you folks did not disappoint at all. LOL     

This thread is like the national debt… compounding growth daily. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hawaii Seriously GIF by ION

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

hey now. People play madden and religiously follow pff… they are more than qualified to run a multi billion dollar football franchise. Far better than these losers that have worked 70 plus hours a week for decades in the business. 

omg, how could I forget?  that's my bad guys...that's on me