Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

I would think about trading Pierce to chiefs sign a sneed trade. Both teams get a needdd player. The draft is loaded so we could replace him.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don’t understand the tweet.  All I see is an emoji.

If you look close it’s a tweet with big eyes. Maybe he is signing somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I don't know where you are coming from with Pierce? I have not heard one person say they think Pierce is ready to explode?

If the Colts draft a WR with their 1st or possibly even 2nd round pick, I would expect that player would be able to start.

There was a whole thread full of them most of the season.

The point is there are only three starting spots available for WR.  We know two of them are Pittman and Downs.  The only other spot is Pierce.  So if the Colts are going to make a change at the starting WR spot it’s going to be Pierce.  Again, according to several here that’s not needed because Pierce was being held back by the QB.  Most importantly the Colts still seem to see Pierce as a starter.  If that’s the case there isn’t room for another “starter” at WR.  Now if you want to take a WR in the first or second round to push Pierce and know you are going to have a high end fourth WR I am all for that.  Just understand unless the Colts decide Pierce isn’t going to be a starter anymore there isn’t room for a fourth “starter” at WR.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would think about trading Pierce to chiefs sign a sneed trade. Both teams get a needdd player. The draft is loaded so we could replace him.

If you look close it’s a tweet with big eyes. Maybe he is signing somewhere.

I could see the Chiefs being very receptive to that offer.  They wouldn’t need to sign a WR.

I keep saying I should take a nap because when I do something happens. Lol

I remember I was in Disney in Orlando, when Eric Ebron was signed and was wearing my Colts shirt when someone that was also a Colts fan said hi and gave me the news.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I could see the Chiefs being very receptive to that offer.  They wouldn’t need to sign a WR.

Mahomes just restructured to make $21.6 million of cap room.

Most likely Sneed is staying, I am thinking.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39718569/sources-patrick-mahomes-restructure-chiefs-contract

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The point is there are only three starting spots available for WR.  We know two of them are Pittman and Downs.  The only other spot is Pierce.  So if the Colts are going to make a change at the starting WR spot it’s going to be Pierce.  Again, according to several here that’s not needed because Pierce was being held back by the QB.  Most importantly the Colts still seem to see Pierce as a starter.  If that’s the case there isn’t room for another “starter” at WR.  Now if you want to take a WR in the first or second round to push Pierce and know you are going to have a high end fourth WR I am all for that.  Just understand unless the Colts decide Pierce isn’t going to be a starter anymore there isn’t room for a fourth “starter” at WR.

I'm one of those that have faith in Pierce.

Saying that, I have moved towards potentially taking one in the 1st or 2nd though.

Just too much talent, not to add more weapons.

4 WRs can be out there at one time occasionally as well.

They still are probably going to draft one. But no doubt he would help them.

I have seen reports where they are looking to sign a WR. Getting Pierce on a rookie contract would give them money to use somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I'm one of those that have faith in Pierce.

Saying that, I have moved towards potentially taking one in the 1st or 2nd though.

Just too much talent, not to add more weapons.

4 WRs can be out there at one time occasionally as well.

I was one of the ones who didn’t have a whole lot of faith with Pierce so I am more than fine with drafting a WR high to push him as I said in my post.

i am just pointing out the Colts current starting lineup at WR is full.  So it’s not like they have a glaring hole there that MUST be addressed.  I don’t think the Colts are going to give up on Pierce so I don’t expect the starting lineup to change at least to start the year.

Still like I said I could see the Colts drafting a WR to push Pierce and be ready to take over for him, like I said I am for that.  

While you can play four WRs occasionally you don’t do it very often and it’s most definitely not going to be starter snaps for whoever the fourth WR is.  

• Like 1

Woah, wait a minute there, don't believe everything you read, Titans don't even have a 3rd round pick for this rumor to be true (glad I checked):

Titans picks:

Round 1, Pick 7

Round 2, Pick 38

Round 4, Pick 106

Round 5, Pick 146 (from MIN)

Round 6, Pick 182

Round 7, Pick 221 (from CAR)

Round 7, Pick 227

Round 7, Pick 242 (from PHI)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I get what you are saying, but I would disagree about the feelings toward Pierce. Its my opinion, most here on the forum, are not high on Pierce at all, and most feel he has underachieved for 2 years. Bordering a bust. I am not saying the team should give up on him. But no reason he should just be penciled in as the starter. There even has also been a fair argument here that MPJ is not really up to elite number 1 status.

It was quite obvious, our WR group was one of the weakest points on the team. Especially the lack of separation and having no real deep threat. Bringing back the same three guys again, would surely be viewed as a total off season failure by the front office.

With this draft class, should the Colts get one of the boards top WRs... that player might not only be better than Pierce, but possibly exceed even Pittman.

I believe where Ballard's expertise will come into play, is choosing the right WR. Since the class is so deep, it's my understanding, there are several sleeper picks, that could be had a bit farther down the board, who may be as good, if not better, than some of the "blue chip" first round players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Woah, wait a minute there, don't believe everything you read, Titans don't even have a 3rd round pick for this rumor to be true:

Titans picks:

Round 1, Pick 7

Round 2, Pick 38

Round 4, Pick 106

Round 6, Pick 182

Round 7, Pick 227

2025?

1 minute ago, w87r said:

2025?

Could be but the only certainty is a team's draft position in 2024, I really doubt the Chiefs end up with nothing to show for in 2024 for Sneed.

We will see. But the guy wasn't specific either, leads me to believe he wanted to be the first one to break the rumor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Woah, wait a minute there, don't believe everything you read, Titans don't even have a 3rd round pick for this rumor to be true (glad I checked):

Titans picks:

Round 1, Pick 7

Round 2, Pick 38

Round 4, Pick 106

Round 6, Pick 182

Round 7, Pick 227

It seems (with the exception of the Colts) the AFC South is signing all the top FA players

• Like 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

It seems (with the exception of the Colts) the AFC South is signing all the top FA players

Don't worry, we will lose the off season and win the regular season division title. :) 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Could be but the only certainty is a team's draft position in 2024, I really doubt the Chiefs end up with nothing to show for in 2024 for Sneed.

We will see. But the guy wasn't specific either, leads me to believe he wanted to be the first one to break the rumor.

I agree, just throwing out there.

It could be like a 2024 4th and 2025 3rd or something.

Just got onto this sight and went to the Colts FA thread and thought I mistakenly got on the Ballard Grievances Thread. Ballard could trade MAC for Mahomes and several on this sight would be critical of that move. Ballard or for that matter I believe no GM would ever be accepted by many on this sight. Very disappointing coming to read about my Colts only to find a bunch of supposedly Colt fan being critical of every move the Colts make.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Just got onto this sight and went to the Colts FA thread and thought I mistakenly got on the Ballard Grievances Thread. Ballard could trade MAC for Mahomes and several on this sight would be critical of that move. Ballard or for that matter I believe no GM would ever be accepted by many on this sight. Very disappointing coming to read about my Colts only to find a bunch of supposedly Colt fan being critical of every move the Colts make.

It’s the samething every off-season.  People ignore how Ballard does things and expect him to sign all these big name free agents and when it doesn’t happen people get upset.  

I am not going to sit here and say Ballard’s approach is perfect but like I said yesterday, good, bad, or indifferent this is who Ballard is.  Fans would be better off if they accepted it.  For the record accepting is not the samething as agreeing with it.  It’s just accepting this is who he is going to be and acknowledging that when you develop expectations for how he will operate.  

• Thanks 1

Chargers are also over the cap still don't forget. They have all those players on the trade block that they have to get rid of, we could be in talks for anyone one of them maybe? Bosa/Mack?

Just now, tweezy32 said:

Chargers are also over the cap still don't forget. They have all those players on the trade block that they have to get rid of, we could be in talks for anyone one of them maybe? Bosa/Mack?

Mack and Mike Williams most likely will be gone. I'd like a stab at Mike Williams, don't need to rush the WR pick in the draft.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

36.5 in 2021

43.4 in 2022

58.8 in 2023

... I guess... at least he's on upward trend... :dunno:

I just don't get it. Like... I get wanting a backup for Grover. I don't get this contract... Are you telling me teams were lining up to give Davis over 3-4M a year? 

It’s clear you don’t get it.   

If you had bothered to look back one more year you’d have found that in Davis’s rookie year he graded out in the 70’s.    So you missed that.  

And you've apparently forgotten the Colts hired the top DL coach available.   Do you think maybe he had some input on this signing?   Like maybe the coach said he can work with the player.   

Ballard does the normal and you don’t like it.   Now Ballard does something out of the ordinary and you don’t like that either.   I think I spit a trend.    :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I would have signed Davis, and let Grover walk. Half the money, shorter contract, similar player/production. 

Agreed. Though I have a feeling Grover’s deal is really more like 2/$26M-$27M and he probably doesn’t see that almost $12M in yr three at age 33 or so. 

And I suppose technically if he struggles this year and loses at step at 30 and isn’t injured they could walk away after this year for even less. 

but I’d bet this is more like 2/$27M w a dead cap of $2M in 2026 if we don’t pay that almost $12M or so in 2026. 

I still like the Davis signing  even if it isn’t the pinnacle of allocation of resources   (As I believe you have mentioned and I also agree with)

but if Ty Lewis is a $6M backup then Davis being a $7M backup I can see also. 

just seems to be the going rate even if I don’t agree with it lol 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mack and Mike Williams most likely will be gone. I'd like a stab at Mike Williams, don't need to rush the WR pick in the draft.

You realize Mike Williams ain’t coming anywhere cheap.   And he plays the same position as Pittman, so there’s that as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s clear you don’t get it.   

If you had bothered to look back one more year you’d have found that in Davis’s rookie year he graded out in the 70’s.    So you missed that.  

And you've apparently forgotten the Colts hired the top DL coach available.   Do you think maybe he had some input on this signing?   Like maybe the coach said he can work with the player.   

Ballard does the normal and you don’t like it.   Now Ballard does something out of the ordinary and you don’t like that either.   I think I spit a trend.    :facepalm:

So he’s been bad for 3 years and good for 1 year 3 years ago…

Wonder why people aren’t excited…

So far, Ballard has remained as his true self throughout the beginning of this free agency period. 

So with that being said, we probably see the routine Ballard in the draft too. I am not saying it's necessarily bad, but I wouldn't say we've necessarily gotten any better. 

I like the backup DT, i wason here complaining about DT depth before Grover's suspension last season and got laughed out. Go back and watch us last year, our run defense looked big bad

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s the samething every off-season.  People ignore how Ballard does things and expect him to sign all these big name free agents and when it doesn’t happen people get upset.  

I am not going to sit here and say Ballard’s approach is perfect but like I said yesterday, good, bad, or indifferent this is who Ballard is.  Fans would be better off if they accepted it.  For the record accepting is not the samething as agreeing with it.  It’s just accepting this is who he is going to be and acknowledging that when you develop expectations for how he will operate.  

I hear you 88 but this goes on every off-season during FA, the draft and then all season long. I was thinking that was why they put up the Ballard Grievances Thread but it didn't make a difference. It is what it is.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree. That’s why I try to keep myself in check during this part of the season. I know going in what Ballard’s plan is: retain homegrown players first, bulk up trenches, sign other FAs on team friendly deals. For us, the biggest spending during the new league year is on keeping our drafted players. We’re paying Taylor and Pittman some big dollars. We’re also saying to them that it’s on their shoulders to get us into real contention. 

I don’t really agree with his approach on what the most important positions of the team are, but it doesn’t matter. I’m just a fan. 

But none of what has transpired yesterday and today is surprising. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So he’s been bad for 3 years and good for 1 year 3 years ago…

Wonder why people aren’t excited…

Because they don’t look at it thru a lense that the Colts hitched the top DL coach in football.   I think odds are high his input carried the day.  The new coach thinks He can do something with this player.  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because they don’t look at it thru a lense that the Colts hitched the top DL coach in football.   I think odds are high his input carried the day.  The new coach thinks He can do something with this player.  

Source or are you just speculating?

Davis is a JAG and he'll play backup to Stewart. On any other team this move wouldn't be something to get excited about, but this is peak Colts FA. I didn't expect different, but I'm not going to get super excited by this...

I get signing a DT - we needed better depth behind Stewart I'm completely on board with that. I just think $7m is way too high for a backup DT, when we could've gotten a "big guy" late day 3 in the draft or possibly even as a udfa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I would have signed Davis, and let Grover walk. Half the money, shorter contract, similar player/production. 

If you check PFF you’d never say “same player, similar production”.  They’re simply not.  Not even close.

Grover’s grades in the 70’s and 60’s.   Davis graded well in his rookie year and then he hasn’t.  Three years of 40’s and 50’s.   And Grover grades higher on far more snaps than Davis. 

Im not trashing the player.  Glad we signed him.  But I’m factoring in the opinion of the new top DL coach.  I think it’s reasonable to assume the new coach wants the new player and thinks he can get more out of him than Davis has shown before.  If the new coach wants him then I want him.  

We see this quite different.  

Just now, Solid84 said:

Source or are you just speculating?

Davis is a JAG and he'll play backup to Stewart. On any other team this move wouldn't be something to get excited about, but this is peak Colts FA. I didn't expect different, but I'm not going to get super excited by this...

I get signing a DT - we needed better depth behind Stewart I'm completely on board with that. I just think $7m is way too high for a backup DT, when we could've gotten a "big guy" late day 3 in the draft or possibly even as a udfa.

Speculating.  Do you think ANY part is unreasonable?    

And a contract of 2/14 tells me Ballard doesn’t think Davis is a JAG.   I grant you he’s BEEN a jag.  And that’s why I think the opinion of the new top DL coach played a huge factor in signing Davis.   We all know how tight Ballard is with money.  He doesn’t give 2/14 in FA to a guy he thinks is going to be a jag.  Ballard listens to his scouts and coaches.  

• Like 1