Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Now if they get Moore back they will have kept all their own I hoped they would.  I never really expected Blackmon back.

If they don’t bring Blackmon back they better have a big  plan because he was their best secondary player. It went to crap when he got hurt.

56 minutes ago, twfish said:

Well everyone, today is the day we get some players and everyone can be a little less angry.

Wouldn’t bet on it.
Ballard is usually a second week kind of guy..

3 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Good, nice to have our K and P signed for the long term. Sanchez is very solid when healthy. 

As long as he gets less than 2.5 a year, I’m good with it. Because Townsend was available for 3 mill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Random thought … Minshew going to the Raiders is giving me major Ken Stabler vibes!

I think he'll be the starter for at least this season for them. And good for him honestly, I hope he does well. 

My random thought: Joe Mixon to Houston is not good news for us. 

Just now, 1959Colts said:

The Texans are really loading up in FA as well

AFC South (besides Colts) always making moves in Free Agency.

Same thing every year. Good or bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The Texans are really loading up in FA as well

That's the benefit of knowing what they have in CJ Stroud. They're right to load up as much talent around him to continue his development. 

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

Sucks watching the colts do nothing but resign their own. Hopefully Ballard can find some gems in the bargain bin!

He does most every season.  Just not typically not on the first day or two.  Wasn’t Ebukum a very good signing? 

I’ll give Ballard another week before I really start complaining.

So far though, same ol Ballard. He talked about using our QBs rookie contract to our advantage. He must have meant by just singing our own guys to new contracts/extensions.

FA doesn’t technically start until tomorrow at 4PM but it always sucks to see other teams in the AFC South try and make their team better while Ballard sits on his hands.

My biggest issue, Ballard always forces himself to hit in the draft and leaves little room for misses.

Just now, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Ballard could easily be a financial personality team member for Ramsey Solutions, holds on to that check book tighter than my step mother on Christmas morning. 

He’s spending money.  He’s just spending it on his own not the big splashy free agents that go for eye popping numbers on day one.  That’s exactly who he’s told people he is since day one.  Why people keep expecting him to morph into someone else is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Sucks watching the colts do nothing but resign their own. Hopefully Ballard can find some gems in the bargain bin!

Understandable. 

I've said this many times over the years, but I'm sure Ballard is actively trying to get players here. FA's can't be forced to come here. Blame it on money sure, but I blame the environment as well... Indiana just isn't a destination place to live. People come here either because it's relatively cheap or because they have family here... The winters suck, the summers are overly humid... 

And on top of those factors, you have a relatively new head coach, an unproven young QB and a team that isn't ready to compete with the big dogs... 

A lot of players are going to look at Indiana and say, naw... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Ballard could easily be a financial personality team member for Ramsey Solutions, holds on to that check book tighter than my step mother on Christmas morning. 

Ballard is more frugal than I am at the flea market. That is saying something considering I always have to have a deal to buy something.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He’s spending money.  He’s just spending it on his own not the big splashy free agents that go for eye popping numbers on day one.  That’s exactly who he’s told people he is since day one.  Why people keep expecting him to morph into someone else is beyond me.

Not expected but people just want to see him change and improve the team I think. Thats why I get antsy.

I know he isn’t going to make the moves, just wish he would. 

Colts record/ playoff appearances under Ballard proves its not working..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Not expected but people just want to see him change and improve the team I think. Thats why I get antsy.

Wanting to see him change means it’s expected he will.  He’s not going too.  

good, bad, indifferent this is who Ballard is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Understandable. 

I've said this many times over the years, but I'm sure Ballard is actively trying to get players here. FA's can't be forced to come here. Blame it on money sure, but I blame the environment as well... Indiana just isn't a destination place to live. People come here either because it's relatively cheap or because they have family here... The winters suck, the summers are overly humid... 

And on top of those factors, you have a relatively new head coach, an unproven young QB and a team that isn't ready to compete with the big dogs... 

A lot of players are going to look at Indiana and say, naw... 

Heck teams like Washington are still able to sign players. I’m sure that’s not a very attractive place to go either.

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

Ballard said it himself, his record is because he hasn’t gotten the quarterback right.    It’s not the FA approach that needs changing, it’s getting the quarterback right.   If AR improves, you’ll see improvement with the team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Heck teams like Washington are still able to sign players. I’m sure that’s not a very attractive place to go either.

Eh, close proximity to big east coast cities, beaches and so on makes it probably a bit more enticing than Indianapolis. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Hoosier through and through, but I've traveled to all 50 states and know we're definitely not in the top 20. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Blackmon is gone. Just unfollowed the colts on his social medias 

Welp....  I can see them giving SS duty to Nick Cross, given that he's still on his rookie deal, and saving the money by not signing Blackmon.  Not sure I agree with it, in that Cross never earned the starting job from Blackmon.  But I can see it, if that's what they're doing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard said it himself, his record is because he hasn’t gotten the quarterback right.    It’s not the FA approach that needs changing, it’s getting the quarterback right.   If AR improves, you’ll see improvement with the team. 

AR improving is less of a concern than AR being available. Unless Steichen decides to change his offense we’d better find another decent backup qb.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed, QB is the most important position in the NFL and usually directly affects record.

Gotta get AR man some help though so it takes some pressure off of him.

Mainly talking about defense.

Let's be honest. Ballard's been here a long time now. And this has been a very SLOW rebuild without great results. A lot of that has to do with his strategy on how to build a team, and a lot of it has to do with the QB position.

He's hitched his horse to AR, who has only 1 year of college experience, and a history of being injured.

Ballard took a chance on a QB with a high ceiling but also a very low floor. Year one is in the books and so far, Ballard's choice in QB1 has not netted positive results. Just 4 games played. If there is an issue with the QB position moving forward, that's now squarely on Ballard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

Let's be honest. Ballard's been here a long time now. And this has been a very SLOW rebuild without great results. A lot of that has to do with his strategy on how to build a team, and a lot of it has to do with the QB position.

He's hitched his horse to AR, who has only 1 year of college experience, and a history of being injured.

Ballard took a chance on a QB with a high ceiling but also a very low floor. Year one is in the books and so far, Ballard's choice in QB1 has not netted positive results. Just 4 games played. If there is an issue with the QB position moving forward, that's now squarely on Ballard.

The SLOW rebuild has NOT been deliberate.   Ballard admits he didn’t get the quarterback right.   If Wentz had worked out, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

The SLOW rebuild has NOT been deliberate.   Ballard admits he didn’t get the quarterback right.   If Wentz had worked out, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  

I'm not sure that's a better argument. 

"It's not deliberate, it's due to incompetence".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Thats your words, not mine.   The team was trying to win every season.  It was built to win each year if only they had gotten the QB right.  And you’re operating with the benefit of hindsight. 

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Rather you like it or not Irsay pretty much cast judgement on Ballard last year and felt he had done a good enough job he deserved a second chance.  Irsay had to know they were going with a rookie QB when that decision was made and that meant he was going to have to give Ballard or his replacement three to four years.  He elected to go with Ballard and we are going into year two of that window.  Irsay pretty much wiped what happened before last year from Ballard’s record by keeping him.  That includes both the good and bad.  Ballard has to make this work with Richardson or he’s going to be gone in all likely hood.  Still he’s going to get three or four years to do it rather fans like it or not.

• Like 1