Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the NFL 2024 Off-season signings, trades and other news

w87r

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

That is nuts. There must be a reason why they felt compelled to trade Fields now. They got so little on return.

Just now, w87r said:

6th rounder that can turn into 4th.

Yeah. That is nothing.

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@stitches  I think they were desperate to free themselves of Fields. I'm not sure why. They received almost nothing in return. Poles did not draft Fields; so, he did not have any attachment to him.

I wonder what Bears fans think. They liked Fields a lot. I think the Steelers got a steal.

Yeah... I didn't think Fields is their guy, but what they got is almost criminal. 

• Like 3

Just now, stitches said:

Yeah... I didn't think Fields is their guy, but what they got is almost criminal. 

It defies logic. I keep saying to myself that there must be more to this.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

It defies logic. I keep saying to myself that there must be more to this.

Let me put it like this... if you put Fields in as a RB... he might be more valuable than a 6th round pick... 

• Like 2

I was reading Windy City Gridiron. It seems like a lot of fans believed that the organization failed Fields. I agree. It shows you how poorly they thought of him, trading him for a day 3 pick. SMH.

Two of my nephews were born in Chicago and are adults now (one in college). They grew up Bears fans as kids. I plan to call them later to see what their thoughts are.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I was reading Windy City Gridiron. It seems like a lot of fans believed that the organization failed Fields. I agree. It shows you how poorly they thought of him, trading him for a day 3 pick. SMH.

Two of my nephews were born in Chicago and are adults now (one in college). They grew up Bears fans as kids. I plan to call them later to see what their thoughts are.

Yeah, that organization did him no favors. BTW they have the same people (GM and HC) on top of the organization still so... even Caleb Williams is not safe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Getting only a third round pick for Fields is absolutely crazy. I would not be happy if I were a Bears fan. As @stitches wrote in the Colts FA thread, teams have traded players with less talent and less potential and received a lot more in return. There was no reason to trade Fields now. There must be more to this.

No, they only got a 6th, I said they should have got a 3rd at worse. IMO probably a 2nd. Fields went 11th overall in the draft and has played well at times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

6th rounder that can turn into 4th.

Probably could of got a 3rd or 4th comp pick in 26 if they let him stay, but likely would of been an uncomfortable environment.

With the amount of free agents they acquire, compensatory pick will probably get cancelled and they'd not have got that either. 

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No, they only got a 6th, I said they should have got a 3rd at worse. IMO probably a 2nd. Fields went 11th overall in the draft and has played well at times. 

They won big time with the Panthers trade because the Panthers organization was even worse than the Bears under former GM (traded away CMC and others).

They lost big time with the 2 trades with the Steelers (2nd rounder given up for Claypool plus this Fields trade).

You look at the Panthers, Broncos and Bears, and when Ballard doesn’t give up draft picks easily, you gain a sense of appreciation on that front.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree.

Classy post by Fields:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

With the amount of free agents they acquire, compensatory pick will probably get cancelled and they'd not have got that either. 

I don't anticipate them letting Fields leave next year anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They got the best deal they could get.  The market set the price.   It doesn’t normally happen this way at this time of year,  but that’s the way things unfolded this time around.  

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They got the best deal they could get.  The market set the price.   It doesn’t normally happen this way at this time of year,  but that’s the way things unfolded this time around.  

I think they could have got a better deal. That is just my opinion. A 6th is a joke for Fields. It was like Chicago just wanted to get rid of him. I was listening to CBS radio at work last night and the hosts of the show that was on couldn't believe that deal. Fans from Chicago calling the show were ripping their FO, and saying they got fleeced bigtime.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think they could have got a better deal. That is just my opinion. A 6th is a joke for Fields. It was like Chicago just wanted to get rid of him. I was listening to CBS radio at work last night and the hosts of the show that was on couldn't believe that deal. Fans from Chicago calling the show were ripping their FO, and saying they got fleeced bigtime.

They got fleeced not only big-time but also bedtime :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Comepare this to colts lol.

Draft pedigree sure. But all are underachievers with their respective teams so far. Henderson was getting burned left and right last year. Perhaps Ryans will be able to get them play up to their draft potential. We’ll see. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

@adubb84  What does your wife think about the Denver's off-season moves.

@Yoshinator How about you?

Denver is paying off Russell Wilson's contract, so I can't blame them for having a quiet offseason. It all depends if they draft a QB at 12. Still expect them to get Bo Nix in all honestly. That's their first step towards becoming relevant again if he hits.

• Like 1

Is anyone concerned about Tennessee acquiring L'Jarius Sneed? The Titans have added some good players in the draft, so they could be tough opponents. 

I hope Anthony Richardson does well and can go this season with no injury. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Is anyone concerned about Tennessee acquiring L'Jarius Sneed? The Titans have added some good players in the draft, so they could be tough opponents. 

I hope Anthony Richardson does well and can go this season with no injury. 

Most teams have a GM that actually tries to improve their team by taking a risk once in awhile....then there are other teams that don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a Chiefs beat reporter. He says Sneed's knee problems affected another trade that the Chiefs had negotiated. According to another report (previous post above), the Vikings was the other team, not the Colts.

Unlike Colts fans, I am very pleased that the Vikings did not make the trade, even if Sneed goes on to have a Hall of Fame career.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This is a Chiefs beat reporter. He says Sneed's knee problems affected another trade that the Chiefs had negotiated. According to another report, the Vikings was the other team, not the Colts.

Unlike Colts fans, I am very pleased that the Vikings did not make the trade, even if Sneed goes on to have a Hall of Fame career.

I'd have made the trade, this is a good risk for a CB that shut down top receivers like JJ, Chase, Adams, etc., and Sneed gives high effort in most plays - which Vikings CBs and generally many players in the roster has been guilty of not giving much effort, and even if they do it won't be at high level. I understand Vikings Citing injuries, but if a high quality CB plays through injury, and is one of the best CBs of the NFL that year, the injury concerns are lame. What more could he do? He's played at very good level for few years as well. 

Vikings could've paid him that money instead of spreading it to lot of CBs they'd continue to pay for average production, and the trade doesn't cost much.  CB room is still weak, and would take lot of moves to get stronger. 

On 3/17/2024 at 8:16 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He won 10 games in 3 years. Let that sink in. Make up all the excuses and highlights they want, but the bottom line is winning. 

15 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

He won 10 games in 3 years. Let that sink in. Make up all the excuses and highlights they want, but the bottom line is winning. 

But he did not win or lose those by himself. Pittsburgh got a steal in the trade. Chicago could have received more. Most people agree.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But he did not win or lose those by himself. Pittsburgh got a steal in the trade. Chicago could have received more. Most people agree.

Chicago would've received more draft compensation, if they had traded him at right timing - like last year off-season, or before the trade deadline.

They gave first pick of second round to Steelers, for Chase Claypool alone last year! Instead, they could've traded Justin Fields to Steelers at that time, and could've received Claypool and a draft compensation in addition last year.

Chicago couldn't have received more draft picks this Off-season than what they got from Steelers, as the trade shows the was no market for Fields this February. Bears just wasted time, and sold him when he's not wanted by the league. 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Chicago would've received more draft compensation, if they had traded him at right timing - like last year off-season, or before the trade deadline.

They gave first pick of second round to Steelers, for Chase Claypool alone last year! Instead, they could've traded Justin Fields to Steelers at that time, and could've received Claypool and a draft compensation in addition last year.

Chicago couldn't have received more draft picks this Off-season than what they got from Steelers, as the trade shows the was no market for Fields this February. Bears just wasted time, and sold him when he's not wanted by the league. 

I think they could have gotten more. They panicked. Other teams got more for other players who are not as talented. As @stitches  wrote, a team could have even used him as a running back. The Bears gave him away. I don't have the time now but I am sure I can find QBs with less talent and less promise who were traded for more.