Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Bears draft a QB, or keep Justin Fields?

Superman

What should the Bears do with Fields and the #1 pick?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD the Bears do with the #1 pick?

• Trade the pick, keep Justin Fields
    • Draft a QB at #1, trade Justin Fields
  2. 2. What WILL the Bears do with the #1 pick?

• Trade the pick, keep Justin Fields
    • Draft a QB at #1, trade Justin Fields

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/2024 at 07:17 AM

Obviously one of the biggest questions of the upcoming offseason. Justin Fields is going into Year 4, and hasn't developed into a high level starting QB so far. No doubt there's still untapped potential there, but he's started 38 games in the NFL, we have a good amount of tape on him already. Also, he has one year left on his rookie contract; any decision about his fifth year option has to be made this offseason.

The Bears have the #1 pick again this year. They traded out last year, to the Panthers. And because the Panthers were terrible, the Bears are back on the clock. They also have their own first round pick at #9. This year's draft class has some very promising QBs to offer -- Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jaden Daniels, are seen as the top three guys, with Michael Penix and Bo Nix being on the next tier. 

So two questions: What do you think the Bears should do, and what do you think they will do? And if you want to discuss the QBs available in the draft, have at it. I'm sure we'll all be getting more in depth on those players as draft season gets going. 

14 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

But new reports are saying Caleb doesn't want the bears to draft him so who knows now.

I saw rumors about this a couple months ago, nothing since then. Is there something new?

Voted pick a QB on both questions.

I don't think you can keep Fields at this point. Even if you believe he has a franchise-level QB in him you have no time to build around him at this point before you have to pay him. Also, I think the Bears may have ruined any chance Fields had with their terrible decisions.

Draft a QB, reset the contract, get a good OC/QB-coach combo and let them work with the new guy while Eberflus sticks to the defense.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I saw rumors about this a couple months ago, nothing since then. Is there something new?

This is what I seen. I’ve also seen another post saying same thing. I think this account is usually correct about stuff from what I’ve seen from them.

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

This is what I seen. I’ve also seen another post saying same thing. I think this account is usually correct about stuff from what I’ve seen from them.

Feels like this is the same rumor that's been circulating, and it keeps getting refuted. Yesterday, Cowherd said he doesn't think Caleb Williams wants to go to the Bears, then today says he got a call from Williams' people saying they're not anti Bears. So who really knows...

Unless Caleb Williams makes clear to the Bears that he doesn't want them to draft him, I think the Bears should dismiss these rumors.

If you are the Bears what is the offer you would be willing to accept for the no. 1 pick? I personally would be taking Caleb pretty much no matter what any team offers, but ... lets say a team gives u 3 1sts, 3 seconds and a starting tackle. Do you take it? 

About the questions in OP - I think the Bears will do the smart thing this year - take the generational QB and trade the one they still don't know is a franchise QB 3 years into his rookie deal...  

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

If you are the Bears what is the offer you would be willing to accept for the no. 1 pick? I personally would be taking Caleb pretty much no matter what any team offers, but ... lets say a team gives u 3 1sts, 3 seconds and a starting tackle. Do you take it? 

About the questions in OP - I think the Bears will do the smart thing this year - take the generational QB and trade the one they still don't know is a franchise QB 3 years into his rookie deal...  

You can do a lot of good with 3 1sts, 3 2nds and a starting tackle, but it'll never get you to the promised land if you don't have the QB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

If you can do that and still get Drake Maye, then we need to talk. And I'm not a big Maye guy, much more a Williams guy, but the Bears still have #9... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you can do that and still get Drake Maye, then we need to talk. And I'm not a big Maye guy, much more a Williams guy, but the Bears still have #9... 

IMO QB is the only position where you do NOT do this. IMO with QB there is no room for compromise - you get the best one you can. No idea if the Bears have the same thinking... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

IMO QB is the only position where you do NOT do this. IMO with QB there is no room for compromise - you get the best one you can. No idea if the Bears have the same thinking... 

I mostly agree, but different teams view QB differently. Take the Colts last year, if we take Ballard at his word, they felt Richardson was the best QB/player in the draft, and they were confident enough that he'd be available at #4 that they didn't move up. Richardson was the third QB off the board.

So if the Bears don't feel great about Williams -- and that's possible; I think his tape is undeniable, but it's possible that there's some intangibles that teams won't like -- and would rather have Maye or Daniels, for instance, then they can play this game. They could get the haul you're describing, and trade Justin Fields (some insider thinks they could get the Falcons pick at #8), and now the Bears are in position to still get their favorite QB, plus a bunch of extra picks.

I didn't include this possibility in the poll, just wanted to keep it simple because there are a ton of variables that get introduced. But if you can get that kind of haul for #1, you have to discuss it. If you're guy is Caleb Williams, no matter what, then take him. But if not, maybe do the trade.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Feels like this is the same rumor that's been circulating, and it keeps getting refuted. Yesterday, Cowherd said he doesn't think Caleb Williams wants to go to the Bears, then today says he got a call from Williams' people saying they're not anti Bears. So who really knows...

Unless Caleb Williams makes clear to the Bears that he doesn't want them to draft him, I think the Bears should dismiss these rumors.

Even if it were true, they should draft him like the Chargers did with Eli Manning and once they have him, they will get a whopper of an offer IF he still doesn't want to play for them and have let them know before the draft.

It is not a right, it is a privilege for him to be in the NFL and I doubt he is going down the Elway, Eli Manning route. The same rumor came about with Joe Burrow too that he doesn't want to play for the Bengals. It turned out not to be the case. 

My biggest concern is Caleb Williams, the Californian guy, going to play outdoors in windy Chicago. Jared Goff always had pedestrian stats in the elements up north (he is a California guy), and thankfully now he is in a dome half the time. 

At one point, Carson Palmer (USC) had a bad record in cold temperatures too:

https://www.espn.co.uk/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/187696/carson-palmers-big-hands-equip-him-to-throw-in-wet-seattle-weather

• Like 2

With a new Offensive Coordinator in Chicago - the Bears will be doing A LOT of evaluations on the players currently on their roster BEFORE they make a decision on what they want to do with the #1 draft pick.

I'm sure that there will be lots of interest in the pick - so the ability to quickly add better talent across-the-board may come in to play as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Even if it were true, they should draft him like the Chargers did with Eli Manning and once they have him, they will get a whopper of an offer IF he still doesn't want to play for them and have let them know before the draft.

It is not a right, it is a privilege for him to be in the NFL and I doubt he is going down the Elway, Eli Manning route. The same rumor came about with Joe Burrow too that he doesn't want to play for the Bengals. It turned out not to be the case. 

On one hand, I do want to see a team force a player's hand in this situation. Let's see a guy actually hold out because he was drafted by a team he didn't like... The theory hasn't even been tested since Elway. But on the other hand, if I'm running a team and the first interaction I have with a prospect is based on his sense of entitlement, I kind of don't want him.

My biggest concern is Caleb Williams, the Californian guy, going to play outdoors in windy Chicago. Jared Goff always had pedestrian stats in the elements up north (he is a California guy), and thankfully now he is in a dome half the time. 

I don't have a big concern with this for Williams. For a guy like Johnny Manziel going to the Browns, sure. Even Zach Wilson to the Jets. Tua was obviously unable to operate in the cold in KC. But Williams' arm is more than good enough, to all areas of the field. He also grew up in Maryland, and played HS football in DC. He just wound up at USC because Lincoln Riley was the HC.

Palmer and Goff are born and bred Cali boys. Goff never had the kind of arm Williams has; Palmer had a strong arm, I'm not sure what to make of his cold weather record, but it's probably more about his teams being bad than it is his inability to perform in cold weather.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

This is what Caleb's father had to say back in September: 

"The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he’d almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. The system is completely backwards," Carl said. "The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation. The worst possible team, the worst organization in the league — because of their desire for parity — gets the first pick. So it’s the gift and the curse."

"I’ve talked to Lincoln, and Kyler Murray struggled because of where he was drafted," Carl Williams told GQ."

Carl Williams also mentioned that he has talked to Archie Manning, who spent most of his time as an NFL quarterback on the struggling New Orleans Saints in the 1970s.

"His career was shot because he went to a horrible organization," Carl said of Manning.

This is what Caleb said at that time

"I’ve always been able to choose the team that I’ve played on," Caleb Williams told GQ. "And then everything’s been scheduled for me. I’ve had a plan for treatment, I’ve had a plan for workouts, I’ve had a plan for eating, I’ve had a plan for nutrition and things like that. … But now, going into this next part of my career, it’s weird ’cause it’s so uncertain. You don’t know anything. You can’t control anything but you and how you act. That’s honestly the weirdest part for me, is the uncertainty."

You could tell that they don't like certain team(s), and they definitely would want to get drafted by a team that takes bad decisions. Which teams they think are bad situations is only known to them, and there are no such information out.

They may have come around on teams possibly getting better around him. They may have better opinion about the teams at the top of the draft now, even though a trade could change it all up.

Personally, I'd think Caleb's camp would have no problem telling the team in pre-draft process that he wouldn't like to get drafted by them. And, they'd go from there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

This is what Caleb's father had to say back in September: 

This is what Caleb said at that time

You could tell that they don't like certain team(s), and they definitely would want to get drafted by a team that takes bad decisions. Which teams they think are bad situations is only known to them, and there are no such information out.

They may have come around on teams possibly getting better around him. They may have better opinion about the teams at the top of the draft now, even though a trade could change it all up.

Personally, I'd think Caleb's camp would have no problem telling the team in pre-draft process that he wouldn't like to get drafted by them. And, they'd go from there. 

That's all fair and good insight, but none of it is connected to the Bears. Back in September, we didn't know who would be picking at the top of the draft. People had the Cardinals at #1 back then. Coincidentally (or maybe not?), Williams' dad mentioned Kyler Murray...

And right now, they seem to be pushing back against the narrative that they don't like the Bears. 

Separate, but related, I think the point Williams' dad was making is logical, and kind of obvious. It doesn't sound good coming from him, and honestly I'd rather not hear from the presumptive #1 pick's parents leading up to the draft, not about this kind of stuff. And just because a team has the #1 pick doesn't mean they're a bad organization. But the list of highly regarded QB prospects who went to bad teams high in the draft, only to struggle, is about a mile long. There are a bunch of QBs who got drafted by teams with defensive minded HCs, and got mismanaged. And even though there's always going to be some shade thrown on Eli and Archie Manning, they were probably right about the Chargers. Just look at the dysfunction that came out of that building in the following couple of years.

IF Williams' and his 'people' came out and said he didn't want to be drafted by the Bears, I'd get it. I think the Bears mismanaged Justin Fields, Eberflus probably has a short leash, and the Bears historically don't do well with QBs. I'm not saying he shouldn't want to go there, just saying I'd understand it if that were the case.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I mostly agree, but different teams view QB differently. Take the Colts last year, if we take Ballard at his word, they felt Richardson was the best QB/player in the draft, and they were confident enough that he'd be available at #4 that they didn't move up. Richardson was the third QB off the board.

So if the Bears don't feel great about Williams -- and that's possible; I think his tape is undeniable, but it's possible that there's some intangibles that teams won't like -- and would rather have Maye or Daniels, for instance, then they can play this game. They could get the haul you're describing, and trade Justin Fields (some insider thinks they could get the Falcons pick at #8), and now the Bears are in position to still get their favorite QB, plus a bunch of extra picks.

I didn't include this possibility in the poll, just wanted to keep it simple because there are a ton of variables that get introduced. But if you can get that kind of haul for #1, you have to discuss it. If you're guy is Caleb Williams, no matter what, then take him. But if not, maybe do the trade.

Do you believe Ballard?

Keep Fields and draft Harrison and trade back in draft with the 9th pick. This draft outside of Harrison and Alt, appears to be absent of many Franchise level players to build either an offense or defense around. I don’t see any QB, other than possibly Nix as Franchise, likely even, starting caliber NFL QB’s when their rookie contract expires.

Stick with Fields, considering he’s been as promising a QB for Bears since Cutler and McMahon. Fields is a Top 10 Bears all time qb and he hasn’t reached his potential. (Sounds impressive but he knocked out Rex grossman to get in the 10😂) The Bears don’t necessarily have the luxury to replace a QB like Fields with a questionable QB class, especially if they were to take another top North Carolina QB prospect. 

Harrison Jr should be the Bears pick at 1. Trade pick 9 either for a quality starter at position of need, or back in days 1 and 2 of this draft to add potential starters or solid contributors with adding more depth. Moore, along with Harrison, and an emerging top 10 NFL TE in Cole Kmet, and the Bears offense should be much more capable of helping Fields downfield, not using legs to get there, and take pressure off the defense to keep them in every game. Fields was playing well at the end of the season when he returned from his injury, drafting Harrison and sticking with Fields, in winning 2-3 more games this season and would be 2-3 more if not for the Lions and their plethora of young Uber talented players and a Jordan Love led Packers squad in their division. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 6:50 PM, Superman said:

Obviously one of the biggest questions of the upcoming offseason. Justin Fields is going into Year 4, and hasn't developed into a high level starting QB so far. No doubt there's still untapped potential there, but he's started 38 games in the NFL, we have a good amount of tape on him already. Also, he has one year left on his rookie contract; any decision about his fifth year option has to be made this offseason.

The Bears have the #1 pick again this year. They traded out last year, to the Panthers. And because the Panthers were terrible, the Bears are back on the clock. They also have their own first round pick at #9. This year's draft class has some very promising QBs to offer -- Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jaden Daniels, are seen as the top three guys, with Michael Penix and Bo Nix being on the next tier. 

So two questions: What do you think the Bears should do, and what do you think they will do? And if you want to discuss the QBs available in the draft, have at it. I'm sure we'll all be getting more in depth on those players as draft season gets going. 

Name 5 High level Bear QB’s in Franchise history. Fields has shown he is capable of winning games with his legs alone. Take the obvious Franchise player in Harrison Jr. and trade back in the draft with the ninth. Maybe draft McCarthy or depending on Raiders drafting a qb, trade for O Connell, as Fields backup. 

15 hours ago, Superman said:

That's all fair and good insight, but none of it is connected to the Bears. Back in September, we didn't know who would be picking at the top of the draft. People had the Cardinals at #1 back then. Coincidentally (or maybe not?), Williams' dad mentioned Kyler Murray...

And right now, they seem to be pushing back against the narrative that they don't like the Bears. 

Separate, but related, I think the point Williams' dad was making is logical, and kind of obvious. It doesn't sound good coming from him, and honestly I'd rather not hear from the presumptive #1 pick's parents leading up to the draft, not about this kind of stuff. And just because a team has the #1 pick doesn't mean they're a bad organization. But the list of highly regarded QB prospects who went to bad teams high in the draft, only to struggle, is about a mile long. There are a bunch of QBs who got drafted by teams with defensive minded HCs, and got mismanaged. And even though there's always going to be some shade thrown on Eli and Archie Manning, they were probably right about the Chargers. Just look at the dysfunction that came out of that building in the following couple of years.

IF Williams' and his 'people' came out and said he didn't want to be drafted by the Bears, I'd get it. I think the Bears mismanaged Justin Fields, Eberflus probably has a short leash, and the Bears historically don't do well with QBs. I'm not saying he shouldn't want to go there, just saying I'd understand it if that were the case.

Yeah, that's (September quote) why I said

Personally, I'd think Caleb's camp would have no problem telling the team in pre-draft process that he wouldn't like to get drafted by them. And, they'd go from there. 

Anyway, there's no concrete information from Caleb's camp recently to speculate. His father's quote of bad teams at the top of the draft is just wrong, it's a generalization. I can understand their concerns with certain teams if they've done their due research, but they shouldn't have to be paranoid about every team at the top of the draft too. 

4 hours ago, BLUESHOECREW said:

Keep Fields and draft Harrison and trade back in draft with the 9th pick. This draft outside of Harrison and Alt, appears to be absent of many Franchise level players to build either an offense or defense around. I don’t see any QB, other than possibly Nix as Franchise, likely even, starting caliber NFL QB’s when their rookie contract expires.

Stick with Fields, considering he’s been as promising a QB for Bears since Cutler and McMahon. Fields is a Top 10 Bears all time qb and he hasn’t reached his potential. (Sounds impressive but he knocked out Rex grossman to get in the 10😂) The Bears don’t necessarily have the luxury to replace a QB like Fields with a questionable QB class, especially if they were to take another top North Carolina QB prospect. 

Harrison Jr should be the Bears pick at 1. Trade pick 9 either for a quality starter at position of need, or back in days 1 and 2 of this draft to add potential starters or solid contributors with adding more depth. Moore, along with Harrison, and an emerging top 10 NFL TE in Cole Kmet, and the Bears offense should be much more capable of helping Fields downfield, not using legs to get there, and take pressure off the defense to keep them in every game. Fields was playing well at the end of the season when he returned from his injury, drafting Harrison and sticking with Fields, in winning 2-3 more games this season and would be 2-3 more if not for the Lions and their plethora of young Uber talented players and a Jordan Love led Packers squad in their division. 

Not gonna complain if that happens.

But.. don't you like any of the QBs in this draft class? :)

What's your concerns with each of them that you think will stop from being a franchise QB at NFL level? 

16 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Personally, I'd think Caleb's camp would have no problem telling the team in pre-draft process that he wouldn't like to get drafted by them.

He has the right to do so, but I don't like when prospects do that. It shows their sense of entitlement despite not yet having been drafted.

The Bears can trade the pick and still get one of the top 3 QBs, but I think they will draft Williams. What would be a good landing spot for Fields?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He has the right to do so, but I don't like when prospects do that. It shows their sense of entitlement despite not yet having been drafted.

The Bears can trade the pick and still get one of the top 3 QBs, but I think they will draft Williams. What would be a good landing spot for Fields?

Yeah, if it's really bad though, they could twist their arms to get out of there like Eli did or after a year or so by holding out. But, not sure if prospects think they can find their way into a favorable situation. For one, you never know what kind of environment a team has until you watch from inside.

I don't know which teams might like Fields. Fields will need to improve his passing game, and if he doesn't, whatever team that does get him will be in trouble, rather than Chicago. So, really can't predict who will fall for Fields.

Someone said Falcons, but Morris could see what Fields can or cannot do. Maybe, some team like Washington might go for him, as they get an upgrade, win-win for both. However, Washington is in better place to draft a QB, so why would they go for him? Maybe, Titans can get him but their head coach would like his QB to have a complete grasp of passing concepts.

Maybe, no one will go for Fields and Bears will be forced into not drafting a QB? :nutz:

22 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Maybe, no one will go for Fields and Bears will be forced into not drafting a QB? :nutz:

They can keep both, but I am not sure how the two QBs would like that.

22 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Someone said Falcons, but Morris could see what Fields can or cannot do. Maybe, some team like Washington might go for him, as they get an upgrade, win-win for both. However, Washington is in better place to draft a QB, so why would they go for him? Maybe, Titans can get him but their head coach would like his QB to have a complete grasp of passing concepts.

Falcons is not a bad guess. No team needs a QB more than the Vikings, but the two teams are not trading with each other. I like Fields better than others do. I think he will do better with an offensive-minded coach like KOC.

The Bears would get more draft capital for the #1 pick than for Fields. I would keep Fields, trade the pick to Washington or another QB-needy team like the Falcons, and draft another QB like Daniels with a lower pick. But Caleb Williams is the popular guy and the safe pick for the Bears.

I wanted to add something because this might enter into our discussions in a couple of years with Richardson - IMO by the end of year 3 of your QB(when he's actually been playing, not in a Jordan Love type of situation) you should know whether he's the guy for your franchise or you need to start looking elsewhere. You should either be ready to commit long-term to him or you should go get the next guy. 

IMO the Bears are clearly in that situation now. They don't know if Fields is the guy... and IMO it's already too late. They should cut bait. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO the Bears are clearly in that situation now. They don't know if Fields is the guy... and IMO it's already too late. They should cut bait. 

I think the Bears did not do what was necessary to enable Fields to succeed. I can understand the Jets cutting bait with Zach Wilson, as he never showed anything. Fields played a lot better. 

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

I think the Bears did not do what was necessary to enable Fields to succeed. I can understand the Jets cutting bait with Zach Wilson, as he never showed anything. Fields played a lot better. 

He did... he still wasn't consistent enough to bring any confidence that he's a franchise QB and definitely didn't play well enough for them to not draft what many consider is a generational type of talent at QB. And you are right that they didn't do enough to support him, but that should have been sign for their owners that they need to cut bait with their GM and HC, too and start clean with a superb talent at no. 1 in the draft... and I bet the best HC candidates would have loved to work with Caleb, too... 

Now for them it's important to not compound the error. 

• Like 3

NFL analyst Colin Cowherd told 670 The Score teams are preparing for the NFL draft, doing their homework on Caleb Williams and preparing to make trade offers for the No. 1 pick.

"Five NFL teams have called USC to do a background check on Caleb and they're going to offer the Bears packages to get the number one pick," Cowherd said.

"He is viewed as above [Patrick] Mahomes at this point," Williams said.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/several-teams-calling-usc-about-caleb-williams-preparing-trade-packages/537256/?partner=yahoo&cid=yahoo

18 hours ago, BLUESHOECREW said:

Name 5 High level Bear QB’s in Franchise history. Fields has shown he is capable of winning games with his legs alone. Take the obvious Franchise player in Harrison Jr. and trade back in the draft with the ninth. Maybe draft McCarthy or depending on Raiders drafting a qb, trade for O Connell, as Fields backup. 

I can't name one high level Bears QB. That includes Fields. He may have shown an ability to impact games with his legs, but what he hasn't shown enough of is an ability to impact games as a passer. JMO.

Obviously there are various opinions on this, it's why I think this topic is so interesting.

19 hours ago, BLUESHOECREW said:

I don’t see any QB, other than possibly Nix as Franchise, likely even, starting caliber NFL QB’s when their rookie contract expires.

If the Bears view this QB class the same way you do, then they should keep Fields and trade out of #1. I find it hard to believe that many people will watch this year's QBs and not like any of them enough to take at #1. 

15 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, that's (September quote) why I said

Anyway, there's no concrete information from Caleb's camp recently to speculate. His father's quote of bad teams at the top of the draft is just wrong, it's a generalization. I can understand their concerns with certain teams if they've done their due research, but they shouldn't have to be paranoid about every team at the top of the draft too. 

It's definitely a generalization. But I think the point is that when a QB gets drafted at #1, he's likely going to a struggling team that has some issues and isn't in great position to support a rookie QB. Just in general, that makes sense, and I think we've seen that play out enough times to say there's plenty of truth to that theory.

But yeah, just saying 'I'd rather not be drafted #1 because only bad organizations get the #1 pick' is a step too far. 

Unless we see a player actually step up and say 'I don't want to be drafted by that team,' I think it's an overblown issue. This has only happened a few times in draft history, and the last time it was a real thing was 20 years ago.

To your earlier point, it's not hard to read the September comments you posted as an indication that the Williams crew might not like a certain team. Just seems like the theory that he doesn't like the Bears is unfounded, so far.

• Like 1