Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

On 11/3/2023 at 6:21 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Haha my bad. I've been offline a bit lately from the forum, some of the main pages have been annoying me. 

And ya your GM was also getting investigated for manipulating the IL.

And honestly counsel as annoying as he is, would be a good hire for you guys. He gets the most out of his team every year no matter how low pay they are.

And likely to still be big spenders with Cohen as owner no matter what

Welcome back! :)

I read about the investigation. How does one manipulate the IL?

I hope the Mets go on a youth movement.

Enjoy the offseason.

Note: I removed comments from the last baseball thread and moved them to this thread (2004 Baseball). Off-season moves for the coming season are found in this thread.

Here is a link to the 2023 Baseball Thread: 2023Baseball

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Cubs hired Counsel as Manager! Ross is out! Shocking but I'm very happy by it. 

Mets got Yankees bench coach 

@2006Coltsbestever @HOZER

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lrfbv2bxuroubl4z11

what a turn of events…..Counsel???? That is crazy! And dumped Ross, I didn’t think that would happen so soon but last season ended in a definite dud. Wonder how the Brewer fans feel about it, lol! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HOZER said:

what a turn of events…..Counsel???? That is crazy! And dumped Ross, I didn’t think that would happen so soon but last season ended in a definite dud. Wonder how the Brewer fans feel about it, lol! 

I will explain myself a little better. I was pressed for time yesterday when I made my short post. Although I do think Counsel has his flaws as the Brewers seem to fail in the playoffs every year, I think he is a better manager than Ross. I also love he is sticking it to Brewers fans. We need Bellinger to re-sign and we need to do upgrade our BullPen in order to win the division IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will explain myself a little better. I was pressed for time yesterday when I made my short post. Although I do think Counsel has his flaws as the Brewers seem to fail in the playoffs every year, I think he is a better manager than Ross. I also love he is sticking it to Brewers fans. We need Bellinger to re-sign and we need to do upgrade our BullPen in order to win the division IMO.

20 hours ago, HOZER said:

Haha brewers fans have been livid about it, and their owner is salty too. And I agree his post season record isn't great, but his owner was cheap. He now has a high volume owner and a gm/president that will use the money.

This feels like a Maddon in 2015 feel

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Haha brewers fans have been livid about it, and their owner is salty too. And I agree his post season record isn't great, but his owner was cheap. He now has a high volume owner and a gm/president that will use the money.

This feels like a Maddon in 2015 feel

I really don’t know much about him, my dislike for him was because he was the Brewers Manager….I’m willing to give him a shot, he put together a pretty good team last couple of seasons, just couldn’t seal the deal.  

It’s almost like a McDaniels (so glad he got fired, lol)feeling for me, I’m being cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HOZER said:

I really don’t know much about him, my dislike for him was because he was the Brewers Manager….I’m willing to give him a shot, he put together a pretty good team last couple of seasons, just couldn’t seal the deal.  

It’s almost like a McDaniels (so glad he got fired, lol)feeling for me, I’m being cautiously optimistic.

Understandable. I was looking forward to him being out of the division, but happy it's us instead. He normally pulls right levers which can't say same thing on ross

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Braves do a trade with the White Sox for Aaron Bummer. First legit trade of the new year. 5 for 1 which seems excessive off first glance, but none of these guys really have any value. Soroka, Schuster, Shewmake, Lopez, and Gowens for Aaron Bummer.

Bummer has a 6.79 ERA, but he was horribly unlucky during the season. He had a 3.53 xERA, a 3.58 FIP, and a 3.51 xFIP last year. His ERA without any luck factors was a 3.51 ERA. He has a 99th percentile Barrel rate, 97th percentile ground ball rate, and an 87th percentile whiff and strikeout rate among relievers. He has a poor walk rate but can dominate righties and lefties equally.

This gets the Braves down to 37 spots on the 40-man roster and will allow us to make a few signings. The Bullpen looks absolutely dominant now. Hoping we sign someone like Nola or Gray in FA and get a good OFer as well like Lourdes Gurriel, 

Rockies trade for Cal Quantrill. Former first-round pick in 2016. Started off well in 2019 when he made the majors, then declined after a couple years. Last 6 starts he had a 2.76 ERA and he induces weak contact, so IMO, the Rockies are hoping for a bounceback season on the cheap. Only costs Cody Koch, a 7th round pick in 2022. Plays Catcher.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the Yankees are back. 

We got Soto!!! 

And added Verduego, and a defensive CF.  

Yanks are reportedly very interested in a standout pitcher from Japan which would be a big addition to their starting pitching. 

I will be renewing my subscription to MLB Extra Innings AND purchasing a new Yankee cap. :banana:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah the Yankees are back. 

We got Soto!!! 

And added Verduego, and a defensive CF.  

Yanks are reportedly very interested in a standout pitcher from Japan which would be a big addition to their starting pitching. 

I will be renewing my subscription to MLB Extra Innings AND purchasing a new Yankee cap. :banana:

On paper, the Yankees look great. I was shocked they played so poorly last season with the roster they had in 2023. They are due to win the WS, haven't won one since 2009 and as you know have 27 total. Regarding my Cubs, it is hard to believe it has been 8 seasons since they won that dramatic WS in 2016. Going into 2024, it will be season 9 since that happened. Time freakin flies! I think we have a good roster but nothing special. Counsel will be better for us than Ross as far as manager. I hope we re-sign Bellinger. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 11:01 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On paper, the Yankees look great. I was shocked they played so poorly last season with the roster they had in 2023. They are due to win the WS, haven't won one since 2009 and as you know have 27 total. Regarding my Cubs, it is hard to believe it has been 8 seasons since they won that dramatic WS in 2016. Going into 2024, it will be season 9 since that happened. Time freakin flies! I think we have a good roster but nothing special. Counsel will be better for us than Ross as far as manager. I hope we re-sign Bellinger. 

Last years team as well as other recent years teams were not built wisely PLUS a lot of things went wrong. Soto is not a cure all but more to appease the soured fan base. Verdugo should help and Grishim is plus gold glove CF with speed and is the third lefty added which was much needed. If Rizzo can bounce back from his mis diagnosed concussion and Stanton/Lemaye contribute the offense could be a force. 

Yamamoto and or another starting pitcher is needed plus strengthen the bullpen.... I don't trust Holmes, especially in big games. 

Having said all that, 2024 should be a lot more fun than 2023. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Cubs are making some moves, signed a pretty good righty reliever today, played pretty good with the Astros…..

https://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2024/1/27/24052688/cubs-sign-hector-neris

Will be a good 1/2 punch with Alzolay I hope.

Also made a trade with the Dodgers for one of their top prospects, sounds like they’re hoping he’ll be the starting first baseman. Don’t know much about him other then what I see online…

https://chicagocrusader.com/cubs-land-dodgers-top-three-prospect-michael-busch-via-trade/

@2006Coltsbestever what do you think brother, is Bellinger coming back? I truly hope so, game changer and he has unfinished business. 

Still trying to wrap my head around Counsel as Cubs new Skipper, so odd. Gives me Colts/McDaniels vibes….but it was definitely time for Ross to go. Counsel is supposed to be leagues better then Ross, guess we’ll see.

Going to miss my multiple trips to Wrigley now that I’ll live further away, hoping for at least one game a season. Rangers are about 3.5 hours away, and Astros…….yeah I’m not going there unless Cubs or Rangers are playing them.

@NFLfan With Spring training around the corner, is it time for a new thread? If you want to move this to new thread I am cool with it.😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

@NFLfan With Spring training around the corner, is it time for a new thread? If you want to move this to new thread I am cool with it.😎

Done. I moved some of the comments from the last thread to this thread. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• NFLfan featured this topic
2 hours ago, HOZER said:

Looks like the Cubs are making some moves, signed a pretty good righty reliever today, played pretty good with the Astros…..

Also made a trade with the Dodgers for one of their top prospects, sounds like they’re hoping he’ll be the starting first baseman. Don’t know much about him other then what I see online…

https://chicagocrusader.com/cubs-land-dodgers-top-three-prospect-michael-busch-via-trade/

@2006Coltsbestever what do you think brother, is Bellinger coming back? I truly hope so, game changer and he has unfinished business. 

Still trying to wrap my head around Counsel as Cubs new Skipper, so odd. Gives me Colts/McDaniels vibes….but it was definitely time for Ross to go. Counsel is supposed to be leagues better then Ross, guess we’ll see.

Going to miss my multiple trips to Wrigley now that I’ll live further away, hoping for at least one game a season. Rangers are about 3.5 hours away, and Astros…….yeah I’m not going there unless Cubs or Rangers are playing them.

I think the cubs have a good chance of belinger falling back into their lap.

As far as the Yankees are concerned, I'm not as enthusiastic about their '24 season as I was after the Soto trade who I now doubt the Yankees will resign him in '25.

We still need a big starter to go along with Cole.... and fell short of signing the phenom from Japan. Seems their reluctant to financially get it done with Snell. Holmes, our closer is not consistently elite but watched Hader go to our rivals the Astros. 

Looking forward to April. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HOZER said:

I hope so regarding Bellinger. He was great this past season. If we get him signed that would be a huge boost. No early predictions yet to how the team will do but the division is very winnable.

• Like 1

Here are the last 10 World Series Champions:

2014 Giants 

2015 Royals 

2016 Cubs

2017 Astros* proven cheaters

2018 Red Sox

2019 Nationals 

2020 Dodgers* 60 game Covid season.

2021 Braves 

2022 Astros 

2023 Rangers 

Will the Rangers repeat? There has been no repeat Champion since the 2000 Yankees did it. They won 3 in a row from 1998-2000 for the 3-peat.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 2:57 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here are the last 10 World Series Champions:

2014 Giants 

2015 Royals 

2016 Cubs

2017 Astros* proven cheaters

2018 Red Sox

2019 Nationals 

2020 Dodgers* 60 game Covid season.

2021 Braves 

2022 Astros 

2023 Rangers 

Will the Rangers repeat? There has been no repeat Champion since the 2000 Yankees did it. They won 3 in a row from 1998-2000 for the 3-peat.

Its Disappointing you didn't go back far enough for the Yankees to be on the list.  :funny:

But you did say they were the last to repeat. :goodluck:

• Like 1

I think the Orioles will be tough to dethrone in the ALEast. 

Good young roster with more coming soon from farm AND new ownership that is expected to spend. In like 24 hours from taking over they immediately made a impact trade for Cy Young award winner Burnes. 

I think they may also get Snell or trade for Cease. 

My mom's hometown was Baltimore and so was the Colts. So some of my family were big oriole fans in the day....

I'm really looking forward to what should be a interesting season, especially now that Florida has added Sports Betting. 

Betting baseball is my expertise. 

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Its Disappointing you didn't go back far enough for the Yankees to be on the list.  :funny:

But you did say they were the last to repeat. :goodluck:

Oh I mentioned them. Had to because they are the last team to Repeat, actually it was a 3-Peat from 1998-2000. I will always mention that team when discussing past Champions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I mentioned them. Had to because they are the last team to Repeat, actually it was a 3-Peat from 1998-2000. I will always mention that team when discussing past Champions.

They were good.. And 4 out of 5 and just missed a 5 peat.. 

I think we may finish 3rd in division and make a wild card this year. 

What's your over/under for total wins by Dodgers and Braves? 

I didn't do homework on braves but off my head I'm saying  conservatively maybe over 212. 

34 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I didn't do homework on braves but off my head I'm saying  conservatively maybe over 212. 

Let me think about it. I will answer that after I do more research. I have been so focused on football.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:19 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I would say 204 about the same as last season. Last season Dodgers won 100, Braves 104 = 204. 

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone!  It's February and Spring Training is just around the corner.  Still several free agents out there without a team, so the next few weeks will be interesting to see where some of them land.

Cardinals have revamped their pitching staff, albeit with some senior citizen starters.  Will be interesting to see how they hold up.  I liked the Sonny Gray addition and Gibson and Lynn are innings eaters.

Not much change on the offense, but if guys perform like they are capable, then we should be fine offensively.

The Dodgers make me SICK!!!  They are clearly baseball's new evil empire.  The "cap" and luxury tax are jokes.  BUT, the Dodgers have proven over and over that you can't buy a World Series Championship.  They are dominant in the regular season, but always choke in the playoffs.

My early prediction is a Braves v. Orioles World Series.  Braves just keep bolstering their roster and the O's are on the upswing and their young players are only getting better and they have more on the way.  That deal for Burnes was fantastic for them.  I love it!!

Apologies to Yankees and Red Sox fans, but it's so nice to see teams like the Orioles, Rays and Jays making noise in that tough AL East.

It's great to have baseball back soon!!

• Like 4

On 2/10/2024 at 9:15 AM, Barry Sears said:

My early prediction is a Braves v. Orioles World Series.  Braves just keep bolstering their roster and the 

It's great to have baseball back soon!!

Both solid teams, I can see that happening. Wish it was my Cubbies, but not seeing it right now. 

Can’t wait for the season to start, glad the Swift Bowl has came/gone.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 2:02 PM, HOZER said:

Both solid teams, I can see that happening. Wish it was my Cubbies, but not seeing it right now. 

Can’t wait for the season to start, glad the Swift Bowl has came/gone.

Agree whole heartedly on both counts. 

As Florida now has legal sports betting, including in game live betting, I really am jacked up about MLB around the corner. 

Someone above predicted a Braves/Orioles world series which has a good chance but getting past the Dodgers will be tough. 

• Like 1

Cubs start Spring Training whooping the White Sox 8-1.

Storylines:

Morel is getting a chance to win 3rd (HR in first at bat)

PCA trying to win CF (double in at bat 1. HBP, scored from second on a groundswell to third base, literally.  The it was a 5-3 put out, and PCA scored)

Wicks trying to win 5th starter job, went 1.2 allowed HR)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Cubs start Spring Training whooping the White Sox 8-1.

Storylines:

Morel is getting a chance to win 3rd (HR in first at bat)

PCA trying to win CF (double in at bat 1. HBP, scored from second on a groundswell to third base, literally.  The it was a 5-3 put out, and PCA scored)

Wicks trying to win 5th starter job, went 1.2 allowed HR)

Any day the Cubs take down the Southsiders is a good day in my book! Looking forward to the upcoming season….wish they could get Bellinger signed but don’t have a good feeling about it. GoCubsGo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Looks like Cubs are indeed bringing Bellinger back, 3 years, 80 million, opt out option first two years. Expensive, but I like it.

https://allchgo.com/cody-bellinger-cubs-agree-to-3-year-deal/

We are picking up all kinds players. On paper we look great. Counsell is a good manager as well. Can't wait for the season. The Belli Bombs (belly) will be coming homer simpson 3d GIF by Miriam Ganser

ESPN just said the signing of Bellinger not only makes the Cubs the favorites to win the NL Central but a contender to win the WS. Steele will have to have a year like he had last year, if he does that, we should win the Division as it looks now. I had a feeling Belli would stay Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons- I love our Lineup, Swanson and Hoerner are great too. 

• Thanks 1

Cubs last 10 years gage = recent history:

2015 = 97-65 

2016 = 103-58 (NL Champions, WS Champions)

2017 = 92-70

2018 = 95-68

2019 = 84-78

2020 = 34-26 (shorten Covid season)

2021 = 71-91

2022 = 74-88

2023 = 83-79

2024 = ?

Totals = 733-623 54.1% winnings = average of 88-74 per season.

Over the last 10 seasons going into 2024, MLB.com stat tracker has this is the Cubs ultimate lineup:

LF - Dexter Fowler (bats both)

CF - Cody Bellinger (bats left)

3B - Kris Bryant (bats right)

1B - Anthony Rizzo (bats left)

DH - Ben Zobrist (bats both)

2B - Javier Baez (bats right)

C - Willson Contreras (bats right)

SS - Dansby Swanson (bats right)

RF - Jason Heyward (bats left)

P - Jake Arrieta (Righty)

Closer - Aroldis Chapman (Lefty)

Manager - Joe Maddon