Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Games that could have gone either way

As most of us know, the NFL is a league where a play here and a play there can be an enormous difference.

We were 1-2 in games decided by 10 or 11 points.

We were 2-3 in games decided by 14 or more points.  Biggest win, 30-13 over Pitt, biggest loss 34-14 to Cincy

We were 6-3 in one-score games.

In our 9 one-score games, what are some examples you can think of of individual plays that easily could have swung the game in the other direction?  I'm thinking of the bogus PI call in the Browns game for one, or if Matt Gay doesn't tie an NFL record with 4 50-yard field goals in a game against the Ravens.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

As most of us know, the NFL is a league where a play here and a play there can be an enormous difference.

We were 1-2 in games decided by 10 or 11 points.

We were 2-3 in games decided by 14 or more points.  Biggest win, 30-13 over Pitt, biggest loss 34-14 to Cincy

We were 6-3 in one-score games.

In our 9 one-score games, what are some examples you can think of of individual plays that easily could have swung the game in the other direction?  I'm thinking of the bogus PI call in the Browns game for one, or if Matt Gay doesn't tie an NFL record with 4 50-yard field goals in a game against the Ravens.

6-3 in one score games tells that the team has kept the game close and still have come out with a W.

There would be times it would go much worse in one score games, team will need to learn to take the lead further away from the opponent. 

• Like 1

One reason why I thought we could win at least 8 games before the season, because last season we lost 3 games by 1 point and another by 3 in OT. I knew we weren't a 4-12-1 team which i couldn't get many in here to believe this. In 2022 lady luck wasn't on our side at all. In 2023 we executed better late in games. Sucks we couldn't close the Texans game, we were possibly a play away from winning the division.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Texans game,

Baker doesn't miss the tackle on the flats pass that would have left Houston with a 3rd and something teen instead of 3rd and 3.

Maybe they convert, but if not and we get the ball back there, or hold them to 3. Different game.

• Like 4

Why too soon?  That was easily the closest game we played all year.  The bogus PI call was just one example, there was also Minshew protecting the ball better in the end zone so Garrett doesn't get a strip-sack TD.  Either of those things happen (and nothing else that bounced our way doesn't bounce the other way) and we're hosting a playoff game.

I still can't get over the egg we laid vs the Falcons. At least the Bengals game, we fought for a half. The Falcons game, we were just uninspired throughout. Our OL got manhandled and our D kept missing tackles throughout the game. That late into the season, we couldn't afford to play lackadaisically in any game and we did, and paid for it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I still can't get over the egg we laid vs the Falcons. At least the Bengals game, we fought for a half. The Falcons game, we were just uninspired throughout. Our OL got manhandled and our D kept missing tackles throughout the game. That late into the season, we couldn't afford to play lackadaisically in any game and we did, and paid for it.

It’s why I still think this team is lacking a couple dawgs still. That game should never happen that late in the season with everything on the line.  Early or midway through season ok. But they knew what was at stake.

• Thanks 1

Looking at it in hindsight, the opening day game vs the Jags is the one I would like to have back. That is a game that could have gone either way by the way. We were up 21-17 before they pulled away at the end.

If we win that game and the rest of the season would have played out like it did, we would have won South because we would have the tiebreaker over Houston at that point at 10-7. 

We can't not allow anyone in our division to sweep us. That is a recipe for disaster.

Saying the Texans game is too easy lmao .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Like 1

This seems like a good place to add on to this discussion.

So the Colts offense this year were tied for 4th in the AFC and 10th in the NFL for Point Per Game with 23.3 points. Meanwhile the defense was 28th in points allowed with 24.4 points.

Now combining this information that we had 9 one score games, this makes me think that if the defense can improve to the mid teens we should have less one score games next year, as our offense should improve with AR returning and hopefully the defense stops being one of the worst in the NFL. Like the Falcons game should have been an easy win but we let Heineke look like Mahomes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Jerry Hughes didn’t get hurt in that game last week colts probably get a TD and win. It took away all the momentum.

Browns game sticks out because we actually did win with a sack strip fumble recovery.

Jerry Hughes?  Sorry, I'm not sure which play you're talking about.

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Jerry Hughes?  Sorry, I'm not sure which play you're talking about.

Texans player that was hurt and stopped play when we were driving down the field in the second half. Lost all momentum and basically stopped in our tracks after the injury timeout. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Texans player that was hurt and stopped play when we were driving down the field in the second half. Lost all momentum and basically stopped in our tracks after the injury timeout. 

Hughes. Yeah, I thought the same thing, that and when Nico got 17 yards on 3rd and 20 when we should have stuffed him was bad too. That allowed them to go for it and get it on 4th and 3.

• Like 1

The obvious one is the Browns game. Officials once again being in the spotlight. 

The Atlanta game was a dumpster fire. Pittman out made a big difference but in a game we could have taken the division lead they let us all down

When Minshew was average we had a chance but when he was not we had very little chance to win