Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders request interview Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds

1959Colts

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not trying to be argumentative, but the key sentence says Ed Dodds really likes him.  But it does not say Ed Dodds PREFERS him.   Not trying to be cute or clever.   I’m happy to concede the point, that Ed Dodds likes him.   I just stop short of stating that Dodds prefers Stroud.   Words matter and I think some are reading too much into the comment. 

I get that, but here's my thinking on it:

• "Like" is the best you're gonna get pre-draft from anyone on any player - there are no certainties in who you're gonna get unless you draft 1st overall.
    • This also means no one is going to say "want" in case they don't get their guy and have to "settle" - it's just a bad look saying you wanted someone over the guy you drafted.
  • Dodds was specifically called out as "liking" Stroud. How often does a non-GM/Owner/HC get called out on any specific players when it comes to the draft?
    • Breer doesn't cover the Colts exclusively, so him calling out Dodds' name makes it even weirder.
      • This tells me Dodds was REALLY high on Stroud and arguing against picking AR.

ALSO, if we're getting REALLY nitpicky here:

GM Chris Ballard is intrigued with Richardson

Did Ballard not "want" Richardson either then?

I honestly didn't mean to make this into a whole lot, I just wanted to point out it was Marocco Brown who was pounding the table for AR and not Dodds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not trying to be argumentative, but the key sentence says Ed Dodds really likes him.  But it does not say Ed Dodds PREFERS him.   Not trying to be cute or clever.   I’m happy to concede the point, that Ed Dodds likes him.   I just stop short of stating that Dodds prefers Stroud.   Words matter and I think some are reading too much into the comment. 

I remember vividly the context in Albert Breer piece because it was released a couple of days prior the NFL Draft when he gives a final, complete information on every team and their learning towards the position or specific player that may draft in first round.

He or someone else during that week said Colts have kept things to their chest, and Breer said other teams have mentioned that Colts seem to be high on Levis. Colts could've led other teams to believe so, or they did have Levis as next option. 

Breer did mention that Ballard likes Richardson, but we don't know if he assumed because he calls Ballard "traits happy". One information that they could get from sources was that Dodds liked Stroud, but that could be from earlier time of the off-season. 

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I get that, but here's my thinking on it:

• "Like" is the best you're gonna get pre-draft from anyone on any player - there are no certainties in who you're gonna get unless you draft 1st overall.
    • This also means no one is going to say "want" in case they don't get their guy and have to "settle" - it's just a bad look saying you wanted someone over the guy you drafted.
  • Dodds was specifically called out as "liking" Stroud. How often does a non-GM/Owner/HC get called out on any specific players when it comes to the draft?
    • Breer doesn't cover the Colts exclusively, so him calling out Dodds' name makes it even weirder.
      • This tells me Dodds was REALLY high on Stroud and arguing against picking AR.

ALSO, if we're getting REALLY nitpicky here:

Did Ballard not "want" Richardson either then?

I honestly didn't mean to make this into a whole lot, I just wanted to point out it was Marocco Brown who was pounding the table for AR and not Dodds.

Who do you think assigned Brown to scout AR on a weekly basis?   

Who do you think assigned Dodds to scout Stroud on a regular basis?   

It’s the same guy. 

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who do you think assigned Brown to scout AR on a weekly basis?   

Who do you think assigned Dodds to scout Stroud on a regular basis?   

It’s the same guy. 

What does that have to do with Dodds reportedly "liking" Stroud and Marocco being head over heels for AR?

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 2:51 PM, ArmchairQB said:

This is an annual thing.  I think Dodds wants the perfect situation before he takes that leap. Working for Humpty Dumpty and having to find a QB in Vegas isn’t it.  But a team like the Chargers that has a franchise QB in place may be of interest to him 

Seems he is asking for a lot if indeed he is asking for the perfect situation as he really has done nothing with the Colts since being here. He was apparently brought here to replicate the Seattle D. It has been a disaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Seems he is asking for a lot if indeed he is asking for the perfect situation as he really has done nothing with the Colts since being here. He was apparently brought here to replicate the Seattle D. It has been a disaster.

You have no idea what he has and hasn't done, nor if that was why he was brought here.

He seems to be extremely well regarded within the NFL, so I'd trust the front office guys that know more than either of us do about what Dodds brings to the table.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I've seen you say this numerous times.  Is there a source that shows Ballard brought him in specifically to replicate the Legion of Boom?  I don't think I've ever seen that.  Doesn't seem to make much sense.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I've seen you say this numerous times.  Is there a source that shows Ballard brought him in specifically to replicate the Legion of Boom?  I don't think I've ever seen that.  Doesn't seem to make much sense.

No there isn’t because it’s not true.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This assertion that Dodds was brought to the Colts to replicate the Legion of Boom was started by YOU, and now REPEATED by YOU.   

You are literally quoting yourself.   

The last time you wrote this I wrote a long post explaining the different ways it wasn’t true.   You either ignored the post or have forgotten it.   The claim is false.  100 percent false. 

No one else here subscribes to it, but some repeat it because you keep repeating it over and over and over again.  

Ballard has never said it.  Dodds has never said it.  Neither has Irsay.   It’s a figment of your over-active imagination.  Does Dodd get some credit for it?   Sure.  So does GM John Schneider.  So does Pete Carroll.   Dodds also gets credit for drafting Russell Wilson at pick 75.  And for trading a 4 and a 5 to acquire Marshawn Lynch from Buffalo.  

Dodds was NOT the architect of the Legion of Boom.  He did NOT specialize on defense.   But it happened on his watch so he gets SOME of the credit. 

Did you read this?   We’ll see if you’re brave enough to answer.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This assertion that Dodds was brought to the Colts to replicate the Legion of Boom was started by YOU, and now REPEATED by YOU.   

The last time you wrote this I wrote a long post explaining the different ways it wasn’t true.   You either ignored the post or have forgotten it.   The claim is false.  100 percent false. 

No one else here subscribes to it, but some repeat it because you keep repeating it over and over and over again.  

Ballard has never said it.  Dodds has never said it.  Neither has Irsay.   It’s a figment of your over-active imagination.  Does Dodd get some credit for it?   Sure.  So does GM John Schneider.  So does Pete Carroll.   Dodds also gets credit for drafting Russell Wilson at pick 75.  And for trading a 4 and a 5 to acquire Marshawn Lynch from Buffalo.  

Dodds was NOT the architect of the Legion of Boom.  He did NOT specialize on defense.   But it happened on his watch so he gets SOME of the credit. 

Sssssh you are exposing him…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He will be back in a week and post the same tired stuff

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Chargers are hiring ravens guy 

Glad to see them taking away from another AFC team instead of us. Now we need to snatch away Tee Martin to serve as some sort of passing game coordinator. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Chargers are hiring ravens guy 

No one understands talent better than Baltimore.  They are loaded.  Good choice for the chargers.   But a word of caution for their new guy….    Working WITH Jim Harbaugh will be the HARDEST job of your career.   Hope it doesn’t turn into working FOR Jim Harbaugh.  

Good luck!    :lombardi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Glad to see them taking away from another AFC team instead of us. Now we need to snatch away Tee Martin to serve as some sort of passing game coordinator. 

The Colts have a passing game coordinator.  His name is Jim Bob Cooter, he’s the offensive coordinator for the Colts.  The Colts also have an offensive minded head coach, Shane Steichen who calls plays with the help of JBC.    The Colts do not need an additional coach to be the passing game coordinator. 

No one understands talent better than Baltimore.  They are loaded.  Good choice for the chargers.   But a word of caution for their new guy….    Working WITH Jim Harbaugh will be the HARDEST job of your career.   Hope it doesn’t turn into working FOR Jim Harbaugh.  

Good luck!    :lombardi:

I think Harbaugh likely has operational control, and was involved in picking the new GM. Which probably means Hortiz will be working for Harbaugh from Day 1. Those couple of days when Harbaugh and the Chargers were 'working out details' or whatever, part of that was probably about who reports to whom.

And I think a lot of that has to do with how things fell apart with the Niners, and Trent Baalke. I think Harbaugh is weird and obsessive and can be difficult to get along with, based on what I've read and heard over the years. But it doesn't sound like anyone is lining up to work with Baalke lately. So maybe the Niners fallout wasn't entirely on Harbaugh.

Either way, I think part of Harbaugh's conditions for going back to the NFL was that he'd be the head person in the football operation, and the GM would be his guy. It's no surprise that they're going with someone from Baltimore, whom John Harbaugh can vouch for, and Jim probably already knows.

JMO

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

It’s no surprise that they're going with someone from Baltimore, whom John Harbaugh can vouch for, and Jim probably already knows.

That’s my first thought!

For a while I almost expected Jim to take the Commanders Job- only because his Brother is 30 miles away- and it appears that Family means everything to those Brothers.  

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Harbaugh likely has operational control, and was involved in picking the new GM. Which probably means Hortiz will be working for Harbaugh from Day 1. Those couple of days when Harbaugh and the Chargers were 'working out details' or whatever, part of that was probably about who reports to whom.

And I think a lot of that has to do with how things fell apart with the Niners, and Trent Baalke. I think Harbaugh is weird and obsessive and can be difficult to get along with, based on what I've read and heard over the years. But it doesn't sound like anyone is lining up to work with Baalke lately. So maybe the Niners fallout wasn't entirely on Harbaugh.

Either way, I think part of Harbaugh's conditions for going back to the NFL was that he'd be the head person in the football operation, and the GM would be his guy. It's no surprise that they're going with someone from Baltimore, whom John Harbaugh can vouch for, and Jim probably already knows.

JMO

Very good and very thoughtful post.   

Appreciate it.     :thmup:

• Like 1

Makes sense they would get a Ravens guy. As I said in an earlier post, the colts have drafted 2 Pro bowlers on the roster since 2017. The Ravens have drafted 8 in that time span on their roster. (Averages 1 per draft) does not include Zay Flowers who will be another great player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Based on what?

It's not rocket science dude. They had an incompetent HC and still lost seven one score games. They have one of the best young QBs in the league in a QB driven league. They have a talented roster and Jim has turned around programs like SSU, Stanford ,49ers and Michigan in a heartbeat. 

Wanna tell me why he won't?

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't get why Ed Dodds gets interviews. Colts have only had two playoff seasons and one playoff win during his time here.

The Colts draft well tbh. A lot of our reasoning for losing is that we've had bad QB play (and bad defenses from time to time). However, the lifeline of this team is the draft, and Ed Dodds has a lot to do with that. The problem is we rely too much on the draft. I think other teams are aware of this.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't get why Ed Dodds gets interviews. Colts have only had two playoff seasons and one playoff win during his time here.

Sarcasm?    Hopefully you’re kidding?   You’ve lifted the same quote from @Moosejawcolt almost exactly.  

I can explain if you need me to. 

I wonder how common it is for assistants to get hired away for GM after the team goes sub-.500 for seven years during that front office tenure. Serious question not piling on Dodds. He does seem well regarded but it seems like winning organizations are the ones to get talent poached. 

18 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I wonder how common it is for assistants to get hired away for GM after the team goes sub-.500 for seven years during that front office tenure. Serious question not piling on Dodds. He does seem well regarded but it seems like winning organizations are the ones to get talent poached. 

Says you, the same guy who roughly two weeks ago said maybe Ballard would be better off if Dodds got one of the GM jobs and moved on. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Says you, the same guy who roughly two weeks ago said maybe Ballard would be better off if Dodds got one of the GM jobs and moved on. 

How are those comments contradictory? You’re so angry all the time you can’t even handle the posting of a legit question. Take a break from the forum for your own sake. 

On 1/29/2024 at 1:07 PM, CheezyColt said:

Really. Ballard loves that D and he is on record saying it. Dodds had a hand in building that defense in Seattle. I don't think it takes Sherlock Holmes for one to assume that Ballard brought him in because they believe in the same scheme and hoping Dodds could help replicate the success that he may have had in building that Seattle D. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Really. Ballard loves that D and he is on record saying it. Dodds had a hand in building that defense in Seattle. I don't think it takes Sherlock Holmes for one to assume that Ballard brought him in because they believe in the same scheme and hoping Dodds could help replicate the success that he may have had in building that Seattle D. 

So you're saying that it IS just an assumption on your part.  Ok cool, just wanted to verify since you've been stating that as a fact all over the place so I thought I might have missed an article or something.  Carry on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Find me and everyone else the quote where Ballard said Dodds helped build the Legion of Boom defense.    

Go ahead.     We’ll wait.   

In fact, I don’t think the defense in Seattle is the same defense that Ballard runs here in Indy.   Ballard has repeatedly said his defense, the two most important spots are the 3-tech and the Will.   I don’t think that was the case with the legion of Boom.  The best part of their defense was the secondary, the players who inflicted the whole BOOM part. 

Can we finally stop with this whole nonsense?    

On 1/29/2024 at 3:26 PM, NewColtsFan said:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/5/12/15632810/seattle-seahawks-executive-ed-dodds-joins-indianapolis-colts-front-office

Dodds was hired by Ballard from SEA during/right after the Lame Duck Pagano season.  Then in the spring, IIRC, Flus was hired and the 4-3 was implemented.  There could be some reasonable inference that Dodds was picked out of SEA because he "understood" 4-3 defenses, which Ballard seemed to be gearing up for.  But I wouldn't pin the task of building a SEA like defense here with the Colts solely on Dodds.

Luck was here, so its not like Dodds was picked from SEA to find the Colts another Wilson-ish QB.

I don't care about them, but I'm not sure why Dodds or Brown deserve any type of meaningful defense of their competence over the past 7 years.

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/5/12/15632810/seattle-seahawks-executive-ed-dodds-joins-indianapolis-colts-front-office

Dodds was hired by Ballard from SEA during/right after the Lame Duck Pagano season.  Then in the spring, IIRC, Flus was hired and the 4-3 was implemented.  There could be some reasonable inference that Dodds was picked out of SEA because he "understood" 4-3 defenses, which Ballard seemed to be gearing up for.  But I wouldn't pin the task of building a SEA like defense here with the Colts solely on Dodds.

Luck was here, so its not like Dodds was picked from SEA to find the Colts another Wilson-ish QB.

I don't care about them, but I'm not sure why Dodds or Brown deserve any type of meaningful defense of their competence over the past 7 years.

Doug….   I want to make sure I understand you.   It’s possible I don’t.   Why would you single out Dodds and Brown?   If you’re unhappy with them, shouldn’t you also be unhappy with their boss, Chris Ballard?   And if you’re unhappy with all three, then aren’t you basically saying fire all three and start over? 

I don’t want to boil this down to you saying you don’t think much of Dodds/Brown while I’ll say I think they’re both very good.   Isn’t it enough that the NFL thinks both are very good?   Both have been interviewing for GM jobs the last 3-4 years.   Shouldn’t that tell you what the NFL thinks of them?  Shouldn’t that be enough? 

It’s my view that you and Moose don’t think much of this roster.   I think this roster has been good to very good except one spot.   The most important spot, quarterback.  We’ve had the wrong quarterback most every year.  If the Colts had a good QB, I think this franchise would be in the playoffs most every year.  The two years the Colts had high QB level of play, 18 with Luck and 20 with Rivers, Indy was in the playoffs.   

Everything went wrong in 22,  and now the Colts hope to have their QB of the future.  I think Ballard’s seat is hotter than most think.  He’s got 2-3 years tops.   I think he’s connected to AR.   If CB is right about Richardson then everyone should be happy.   And if not, Ballard will likely get fired.  

One last thought regarding Dodds.   He was brought here because he’s got a reputation as a good judge of talent.  I think that’s his credential. 

I look forward to your response. 

Doug….   I want to make sure I understand you.   It’s possible I don’t.   Why would you single out Dodds and Brown?   If you’re unhappy with them, shouldn’t you also be unhappy with their boss, Chris Ballard?   And if you’re unhappy with all three, then aren’t you basically saying fire all three and start over? 

I don’t want to boil this down to you saying you don’t think much of Dodds/Brown while I’ll say I think they’re both very good.   Isn’t it enough that the NFL thinks both are very good?   Both have been interviewing for GM jobs the last 3-4 years.   Shouldn’t that tell you what the NFL thinks of them?  Shouldn’t that be enough? 

It’s my view that you and Moose don’t think much of this roster.   I think this roster has been good to very good except one spot.   The most important spot, quarterback.  We’ve had the wrong quarterback most every year.  If the Colts had a good QB, I think this franchise would be in the playoffs most every year.  The two years the Colts had high QB level of play, 18 with Luck and 20 with Rivers, Indy was in the playoffs.   

Everything went wrong in 22,  and now the Colts hope to have their QB of the future.  I think Ballard’s seat is hotter than most think.  He’s got 2-3 years tops.   I think he’s connected to AR.   If CB is right about Richardson then everyone should be happy.   And if not, Ballard will likely get fired.  

One last thought regarding Dodds.   He was brought here because he’s got a reputation as a good judge of talent.  I think that’s his credential. 

I look forward to your response. 

Not sure where you're going with this.

The last several posts were talking about Dodds and I think Brown was mentioned...and was included in the article I linked..as being hired the same time Dodds was.  Those names were mentioned in this thread before I entered it.  I mentioned Dodds, because as is typical, the usual band pile on @Moosejawcolt's comment,  which itself are not far off from an intelligent inference about what made Dodds qualified for the Indy hire........

Seemed like a vigorous criticism over dislike of a poster, rather than taking a breath to intelligently, IMO, look at the situation.

You and others know that back in 2017, the defense was going a complete rebuild and change of scheme.  Its not hard to connect that experience Dodds had at SEA with the idea of finding that type of talent for our new defense.  After all, we had Luck, AC, and TY at the time so a retool of the offensive personnel was not really the focus...just maybe some improved offensive coordination.  While not specifically said that defense was the reason to hire Dodds, its inferred that defensive personnel would be a big part of it at the time.  We hired Flus to coach the system, and hired FO people to find him the players.

So Moose's ...yes rather extreme comment ( I wouldn't have said it that way)...that Dodds "was brought here to build the legion of doom"...at its root is probably more correct than not, so I just entered the thread to point out how humorous the vigorous counterpoints to his comment seem....borderlining on attacks motivated by historic grudges, just by looking at how some of the comments were worded.  

I don't care about Dodds or Brown...just a couple of front office wonks to me.   But them and Ballard have been pretty good at giving the Colts .500 personnel for 7 years.  Yawn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Ballard’s seat is hotter than most think.  He’s got 2-3 years tops.

I think that's the generous end of the consensus on Ballard. I don't think anyone sees him being here beyond 2025 if the Colts aren't serious contenders in the playoffs by then.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not sure where you're going with this.

The last several posts were talking about Dodds and I think Brown was mentioned...and was included in the article I linked..as being hired the same time Dodds was.  Those names were mentioned in this thread before I entered it.  I mentioned Dodds, because as is typical, the usual band pile on @Moosejawcolt's comment,  which itself are not far off from an intelligent inference about what made Dodds qualified for the Indy hire........

Seemed like a vigorous criticism over dislike of a poster, rather than taking a breath to intelligently, IMO, look at the situation.

You and others know that back in 2017, the defense was going a complete rebuild and change of scheme.  Its not hard to connect that experience Dodds had at SEA with the idea of finding that type of talent for our new defense.  After all, we had Luck, AC, and TY at the time so a retool of the offensive personnel was not really the focus...just maybe some improved offensive coordination.  While not specifically said that defense was the reason to hire Dodds, its inferred that defensive personnel would be a big part of it at the time.  We hired Flus to coach the system, and hired FO people to find him the players.

So Moose's ...yes rather extreme comment ( I wouldn't have said it that way)...that Dodds "was brought here to build the legion of doom"...at its root is probably more correct than not, so I just entered the thread to point out how humorous the vigorous counterpoints to his comment seem....borderlining on attacks motivated by historic grudges, just by looking at how some of the comments were worded.  

I don't care about Dodds or Brown...just a couple of front office wonks to me.   But them and Ballard have been pretty good at giving the Colts .500 personnel for 7 years.  Yawn.

Ok, well,  I tried.   But you kept talking about these attacks on poor Moose and we both know I’m the guy who has been challenging him the most.   So let’s be up front about it.  

I don’t know how many of my posts about this ongoing debate you’ve read, but I’ve pretty much crushed Moose.  And you can tell that I have because I’ve addressed my posts to him directly and he’s responded exactly ZERO times.   He’ll talk to other posters, but not me.  

I think you’ve made a number of leaps to justify your position.  We don’t agree on anything.  I’m sorry to see that.  But I don’t see any common ground.  I gave you the easiest thing to agree with.  (Forget our viewpoints, Dodds and Brown have been interviewing for jobs for 3-4 years.  That should tell you all you need to know)  and yet you still couldn’t acknowledge that.  So I’m out of ideas.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  I’m sorry about that. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think that's the generous end of the consensus on Ballard. I don't think anyone sees him being here beyond 2025 if the Colts aren't serious contenders in the playoffs by then.

You know how much I think of your views.  But another poster whose opinion I value recently wrote that he didn’t think Ballard’s seat was hot at all.  I was very surprised at that.    What can I say?  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know how much I think of your views.  But another poster whose opinion I value recently wrote that he didn’t think Ballard’s seat was hot at all.  I was very surprised at that.    What can I say?  

"Hot seat" might seem kind of loaded, like he's about to get fired. I wouldn't exactly say he's on the hot seat, because I think the trajectory is favorable right now. But if the Colts sputter this season, I think things start to look different. 

It's the 2-3 years projection that I think is pretty much the longest anyone thinks Ballard will continue as GM if the Colts don't start some serious winning, like advancing in the playoffs. I'd say if the Colts don't win at least one playoff game over the next two seasons, Ballard is gone.

And I'm probably viewed as one of the more pro Ballard posters here.