Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders request interview Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds

1959Colts

On 1/10/2024 at 2:11 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Ballard hired Dobbs from Seattle and yes it is a reflection of Ballard's decision making. How have the two of them been at recreating the Legion of Doom??

Who ever said they were trying to recreate the Legion of Boom?    No one.   Once again you jump to conclusions based on false assumptions. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 12:57 PM, chad72 said:

Now that the Seahawks coaches have all been asked to look elsewhere for jobs, Dodds may try to go back home to Seattle and join the gang, especially if Dan Quinn is hired as HC there like a re-union.

Seattle HAS a GM.   John Schneider.  Dodds is not leaving to be the #2 to another GM.    If he leaves, he’s going to bet the GM for another franchise.  

Maybe Dodds’ replacement will be better. Maybe Ballard would benefit from a new voice in his ear. It’s not like a Super Bowl-winning front office is being broken up. I’ll be happy for Dodds if he gets a promotion to GM somewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/13/2024 at 1:03 PM, richard pallo said:

Just read Dodds is now going to interview with the Panthers.  He seems like he’s ready to move on this year.

Uhhh….  This is Carolina we’re talking.   The owner is now viewed as the worst in the NFL.   I don’t pretend to know why Dodds would be interested in this job?    We’ll see how the interview process plays out. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Uhhh….  This is Carolina we’re talking.   The owner is now viewed as the worst in the NFL.   I don’t pretend to know why Dodds would be interested in this job?    We’ll see how the interview process plays out. 

Someone once told me take all the interviews you can get just to get the experience interviewing.  Maybe Dodds has decided to take that approach this year.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 11:11 PM, ShuteAt168 said:

Maybe Dodds’ replacement will be better. Maybe Ballard would benefit from a new voice in his ear. It’s not like a Super Bowl-winning front office is being broken up. I’ll be happy for Dodds if he gets a promotion to GM somewhere. 

Dodds has been really good.  It’s going to be hard to be “better”.  Dodds had a lot to do with Richardson and Taylor being here.  

On 1/13/2024 at 9:59 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Who ever said they were trying to recreate the Legion of Boom?    No one.   Once again you jump to conclusions based on false assumptions. 

It’s almost like he likes to make things up so he can celebrate people he doesn’t like failing to meet those expectations…. Almost like he has an agenda he’s really pushing…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Someone once told me take all the interviews you can get just to get the experience interviewing.  Maybe Dodds has decided to take that approach this year.

I’ve always subscribed to that viewpoint.  I think it’s enormously helpful.   I just want better for Dodds.   I’m sure we all do. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Harbaugh is most likely going to chargers. If he does look for DODDS to go with him.

Since you follow this so closely….

Why would Dodds go with Harbaugh?  What's the connection?    Has Dodd’s interviewed with the Chargers twice? 

Thanks in advance. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since you follow this so closely….

Why would Dodds go with Harbaugh?  What's the connection?    Has Dodd’s interviewed with the Chargers twice? 

Thanks in advance. 

The Chargers have interviewed 8 candidates, including Ed Dodds. Not sure if Harbugh and Dodds are friends or have a connection, but it is a fact that Dodds interviewed with the Chargers. I can tell you that.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

News to me that Chargers had one of the best rosters in the NFL, LOL

If they mean getting high priced vet free agents that didn't work out well...

He drafted Herbert though, so maybe he'll help Raiders find a QB! 

I think he’s was trying to imply the talent underperformed due to the recently fired head coach.   Thats my hunch…. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

News to me that Chargers had one of the best rosters in the NFL, LOL

If they mean getting high priced vet free agents that didn't work out well...

He drafted Herbert though, so maybe he'll help Raiders find a QB! 

Maybe "on paper" they have one of the best rosters?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s was trying to imply the talent underperformed due to the recently fired head coach.   Thats my hunch…. 

Rapoport isn't gonna hurt anybody, he needs every team to be in good rapport with him :)

In a way, they seem to assemble lot of free agents that look promising, but not really explosive anymore in their career as they used to be.

In last two years, he acquired Linval Joseph, and Eric Kendricks after Vikings let them go, and they ended up being rotational pieces. Khalil Mack has been just okay and lots of such vets in CB and S, that didn't make a large difference. 

He did draft very good players too, and had had lot of injuries on the roster. So, Raiders are betting on him being able to collect promising talent in both draft and FA, and they have better luck with him. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Rapoport isn't gonna hurt anybody, he needs every team to be in good rapport with him :)

In a way, they seem to assemble lot of free agents that look promising, but not really explosive anymore in their career as they used to be.

In last two years, he acquired Linval Joseph, and Eric Kendricks after Vikings let them go, and they ended up being rotational pieces. Khalil Mack had been just okay and lots of such vets in CB and S, that didn't make a large difference. 

He did draft very good players too, and had had lot of injuries on the roster. Raiders also like to collect lot of free agents every off-season. So, Raiders are betting on him being able to collect promising talent in both draft and FA, and they have better luck with him. 

On 1/14/2024 at 11:42 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Dodds has been really good.  It’s going to be hard to be “better”.  Dodds had a lot to do with Richardson and Taylor being here.  

We were told that there was a scout that reported Richardson exceptional, so to be looked at.

And Taylor couldn't have been more well known, and Irsay was credited for telling his GM to move up and get him.

I don't know if Telesco's draft record was undermined by poor coaching, or if the coaching was undermined by Telesco's drafting. But I know he got 11 seasons with the Chargers, and while there were times the roster was considered among the best in the league, they never actually contended for a SB. I always say that it's one thing to take a team from bad to pretty good, but it's a whole different story to get a team to the top.

Telesco also hired three HCs, which is kind of rare for any GM, especially someone with no championship pedigree. And now he takes the Raiders job, after they already hired a HC, so he wasn't responsible for the Pierce decision.

It's also possible that Telesco had a hand tied behind his back for most of his time with the Chargers. Reported cash issues, arena issues, relocation, ownership squabbles, a lot of player injuries, etc. 

What seems obvious is that Telesco can run a professional operation, he's a no drama/no fuss guy, and I think he has a pretty good eye for talent. He ran point on the 2020 draft and came away with Justin Herbert, so I think he can pick a QB. I wonder if he can build a complete roster and sustain it.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:42 AM, GoColts8818 said:

I don't know about Taylor, but Dodds didn't want AR - he wanted Stroud. It was Marocco Brown who scouted AR and was pounding the table for him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't know about Taylor, but Dodds didn't want AR - he wanted Stroud. It was Marocco Brown who scouted AR and was pounding the table for him.

Dodds said "What are we doing? Like 13 games?"

He did say he came around on AR, but of course he is going to say that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

No where did he say he wanted stroud. 

Second you want people questioning a decision play devils advocate which in turn helps make a better decision.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Second you want people questioning a decision play devils advocate which in turn helps make a better decision.

I am perfectly fine with us drafting AR

It was rumoured Dodds wanted Stroud over anyone else, but Ballard and, especially, Brown wanted AR.

I know you get butthurt whenever anyone mentions Stroud in a positive tone, but I'm not out to get you. I'm fine with us drafting AR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He didn’t say he wanted Stroud.  He was the last to get on the AR train though.  It took some convincing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It was rumoured Dodds wanted Stroud over anyone else, but Ballard and, especially, Brown wanted AR.

I know you get butthurt whenever anyone mentions Stroud in a positive tone, but I'm not out to get you. I'm fine with us drafting AR.

Do you have a link to this rumor?   I’d be a little shocked on that one.  

On 1/8/2024 at 6:12 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

How many playoff games have we won since Ed Dodds came to the colts?

Is he likable... for sure, but I won't mind him leaving. 

Just imagine how many more games under .500 ballard would be without him? :funny:

On 1/14/2024 at 11:40 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I also live by that saying.

When or if I get my first interview I will let everyone know how it goes..:funny:

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

....but how would the colts have drafted Stroud, regardless if Ballard, Brown, and Dodds all loved him since he wasn't falling to #4 AND the colts weren't moving up to get him?? They were worried to death someone would trade up to #3 and get AR5 and still.wouldn't even move up to #3, one spot, to get their guy. 

They were content on getting whoever fell to them and probably expected it would be a choice between Levis and AR5.

7 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Dodds said "What are we doing? Like 13 games?"

He did say he came around on AR, but of course he is going to say that.

What does this alleged Dodds quote even mean?   Is he referring to the number of games AR played in college?   And when did he allegedly say this?   

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I also scouted AR5(on YouTube) and wanted him and pounded my table for him with my tackle box on it and it opened and a Rapala plug jumped up and a treble hook went in my hand. 

They sure don't make tackle box's like they used too. haha

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you have a link to this rumor?   I’d be a little shocked on that one.  

The Albert Breer section of this article

Albert Breer, Sports Illustrated: Stroud

Stroud is the best fit for Shane Steichen’s offense. I’ve heard assistant GM Ed Dodds, who has juice in that building, really likes him. But, as I’ve also heard it, GM Chris Ballard puts stock in the S2 test, which could be an issue for Stroud. Ballard was all over Will Levis in the fall, and I don’t think Indy has the issue with his personality that other teams do. Then, there’s how the developmental template used on Jalen Hurts (whom Steichen coached in Philadelphia) could work wonders for Anthony Richardson. And even the little tell in the workout with BYU’s Jaren Hall being tucked in with all the others when the Colts were traveling around to see these guys (which could be for the scenario in which the Colts go with a non-QB at No. 4). So I’m holding my breath here and going with Stroud.

The fascination that is Anthony Richardson can be summed up pretty well by listening to Chris Ballard’s most trusted lieutenants.

Initially, Ed Dodds was really skeptical.

Whereas, Morocco Brown was blown away.

The uncertainty with Dodds revolves so much around the unique profile of Richardson, centered around the quarterback’s lack of experience.

“I went down there early in the year, and he wasn’t playing as well,” Dodds said following the Colts selection of Richardson at No. 4 overall. “It’s just a hard study, right? You hit on it, 13 games played total. Last year, I’m talking his sophomore year, he threw like 60 balls. There’s really not an accurate grade on the scale for a guy that, okay, he’s got blue traits, but there’s no resume. Then the very little part that he has, it was a rollercoaster all year. I watched him like four or five times. I was kind of late. I was hard on him at first and then the more I watched – Chris (Ballard) hit on it – poise. I always watch games. I’m kind of old school. I don’t want to watch all these cut ups, I want to watch games. We have a cutup that Stew (Video Director Stewart Cramer) and the guys do that’s like all throws under pressure. That’s where you see, alright the dude has got natural instincts that some of these other guys did not. So, you’re going, ‘Alright, we can fix some things.’ Like the accuracy, I would say a lot of it is his feet. I actually asked him about it one night. I’m like, ‘Hey, what do you think it is?’ I go, ‘Why wouldn’t you have so much time that your perfect protection you’ll just miss one and then when you are under pressure and you have to move up and slide to your left and make the throw it’s perfect.’ He’s like, ‘It’s because I’ve got all these people in my ear talking about mechanics.’ There are like gurus for everything nowadays. I think that just shows he is accurate, he just needs to stop thinking about all this other ancillary nonsense that all these guys harp on all the time

.”

https://1075thefan.com/92965/colts-scouts-take-anthony-richardson/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That just says Dodds really liked Stroud.  You are making a bit of jump to just take that and say that means he wanted him above everyone else.  That article also says Ballard was all over Levis yet he still ultimately selected Richardson.  

More from Breer

Levis has had a rough pre-draft process, but I’ve heard his name linked to the Colts over and over from other teams last week. And I heard he made a very positive impression with the Manning brothers at their passing academy last summer, and, obviously, owner Jim Irsay still listens to Peyton on these things. Then, there are rumblings that traits-happy GM Chris Ballard is intrigued with Richardson, while assistant GM Ed Dodds likes Stroud, who’s seen as the best fit for Shane Steichen’s offense. So obviously, the Colts have done a decent job of making others believe that all things are possible.

This one says Ballard wanted AR and again Dodds liking Stroud. 

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That just says Dodds really liked Stroud.  You are making a bit of jump to just take that and say that means he wanted him above everyone else.  That article also says Ballard was all over Levis yet he still ultimately selected Richardson.  

Question of getting that Proof was whether Dodds liked Stroud in earlier conversations. Whether he liked Stroud more or not can only be known to him, but it's said he liked Stroud.  He thought Stroud was sure prospect to take him, but he's not the GM. And, when he didn't really think high of Richardson, he liked Stroud. 

Dodds initially didn't think high of Richardson until he got to see his poise as Ballard pointed to him but he also says, without anyone having to point out, Richardson has got Blue traits but there's no resume.

I don't know why the discussion is so much around what exactly Dodds wanted other than he liked Stroud and he had to come around on Richardson, for which @Solid84 has given necessary quotes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Im not trying to be argumentative, but the key sentence says Ed Dodds really likes him.  But it does not say Ed Dodds PREFERS him.   Not trying to be cute or clever.   I’m happy to concede the point, that Ed Dodds likes him.   I just stop short of stating that Dodds prefers Stroud.   Words matter and I think some are reading too much into the comment.