Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Great play design?  The guy can’t get our number two receiver open all year.  17 games and something like 30 catches.  Seriously.  He had all year to get him involved and that’s the best he can do.  The jury is still out on Steichen.  People loved Reich early and he got us to a playoff game.  Things can change pretty quickly.  I’m hoping he can do it but his game management, situational football decisions, player utilization and game planning need a lot of attention.  It was a good season but the reason we didn’t make the playoffs is on him.

The reason is bad qb play,

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Logic would say it was a bad call because it didn’t work.

Logic is everything that doesn’t work is a bad call?  What?  If the execution was sound and it didn’t work THEN you say it was a bad call.  Clearly this was an execution problem not a play calling issue. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, husker61 said:

The reason is bad qb play,

Our bad QB couldn't throw an accurate pass to our #2 receiver time and time again, and was too cowardly, doesn't have the arm to make the throws downfield to the oft open Pierce.

We had bad safety play, lots of bas CB play, bad tackling, and yes we missed having a healthy Smith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Our bad QB couldn't throw an accurate pass to our #2 receiver time and time again, and was too cowardly, doesn't have the arm to make the throws downfield to the oft open Pierce.

We had bad safety play, lots of bas CB play, bad tackling, and yes we missed having a healthy Smith.

A lot of the issues you are saying are because of injuries and every team has to deal with them. If the colts had a backup qb that could get the ball down field, I think they would be in the playoffs. Gm was here to teach Richardson not to play almost all year, and that was a big problem. Nobody can anticipate injuries.

This kind of stuff drives me nuts. How many teams made the playoffs with a backup QB. Flacco don’t count he is a superbowl champ and browns defense is elite. Steelers don’t even have a starting QB on the roster. Bengals with all their weapons couldn’t  even make it. People like this are miserable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

it's football, sometimes things just don't go your way even though everything was right. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It wasn’t right,  Goodson, with his six career catches shouldn’t have been on the field and the target of the most important play of the season.  This is the same crud people got mad at Reich for (rightfully so) when he would take Taylor out and try to force the ball with Hines.  

Even though you both see the play differently, I agree with both of these comments.

I did not have a problem with the play itself. I just thought the Colts should have used another player, not Goodson. But, yes, it is not guaranteed that if the pass went to another player (a starter) that it would have worked.

• Like 1

My last post on the playcall. 

hindsight- it’s 20/20 vision. Everyone uses hindsight following plays and games. But hindsight doesn’t matter on a playcall, what matters is logic. Shane Steichen called in to Minshew to try and draw the defense offsides after 3rd and 2 fell well short. Try and draw them off ,take the timeout. Gives us a moment to see how they line up and discuss it going into the timeout. What does that discussion look like? Well for one, JT getting stuffed for no gain or not enough to get that first down on 4th, not just once or twice on that very drive, but four times. Take running off the table as a low percentage chance with the look the defense gave. What look? Man coverage with what, 7/8 guys stacked in tight?

What is a high percentage chance? Goodson in the flat. Not expected, Pittman picking, have practiced it flawlessly. How many coaches discussed this? More than just Steichen in his head. Analytics, scooter, minshew all in on the discussion during a lengthy timeout. Play was wide open as designed. The throw and catch was not as designed. That isn’t a playcall issue, that’s a player execution issue. “Well playcall and execution are one and the same.”only in hindsight. The logical thing is to think through this analytically and without prejudice of using hindsight that it wasn’t executed or that it would have been higher chances of success doing something differently. It wouldn’t have been. They used logic to design an open play concept and it worked, except for the execution of two players. 

“Jonathan Taylor had 188 yards and is your best player. He should have been catching that ball” - Well, would it be open, or keyed on forcing the decision further into Minshew’s hands? Would he catch it? Idk, he has a bad thumb and now a bum heel. He ran out of bounds conservatively twice on this set of downs instead of sticking his nose in and gaining the necessary yards to avoid this situation. Can he even get us another yard? What was his comments like coming off the field? These aren’t things we even know, but the coaching staff does and they weighed it all and called a perfectly designed and well prepared play that failed only because the throw and catch weren’t executed. 

From here, hindsight can be used as a piece of data. We now know that play to Goodson isn’t as high percentage as we thought. Find someone new, because it still works as a playcall with a qb/pass catcher that can execute it. But it didn’t work as data last night because the data they had on it was from practicing it which by Minshew’s accounts was perfect.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Even though you both see the play differently, I agree with both of these comments.

I did not have a problem with the play itself. I just thought the Colts should have used another player, not Goodson. But, yes, it is not guaranteed that if the pass went to another player (a starter) that it would have worked.

Yep that’s where I am at.  It’s no sure thing if they used another player or play it would have worked but it’s also no sure thing it would have failed either.  

my issue all along has been the players they used more than the playcall.  Personally I would have probably ran to the outside (they had just had two successful outside runs) but after seeing how open Goodson was you can’t argue that it was a poor play design so I don’t take issue with that.  I just question the logic of trusting your season to your backup QB who was having a bad night and a guy who hasn’t played much all night and had six career catches and taking your best player off the field and not even using him as a decoy.  

I know others see it another way and that’s fine.  Smart people can both see something use logic and disagree about it.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

just question the logic of trusting your season to your backup QB who was having a bad night and a guy who hasn’t played much all night and had six career catches and taking your best player off the field and not even using him as a decoy.  

I think I wrote something like that this morning. The Colts needed just one yard to continue the drive and possibly get the win. I thought they should have opted for a safer play.

Anyway, congrats on a good season. As someone else wrote, you have your head coach, your QBofTF, and some young pieces to build around. Your coach will learn from some of what went right and what did not. Next year will be better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why do you have to bother me when it was Steichen who didn't call JTs number?   I'm just pointing out why he didn't.

JT ran through holes, because the defense was scattered wide most of the game to take away the short sideways passes that we throw.  When they decided to stop the run, they stuffed the middle because that's where JT runs.  He had a great game, but that's only because he was the alternative to us not having a passing game, which Aikman pointed out and which is NOT the way to have playoff success in the 2020's.

Go make your beef with Steichen and Aikman.

So the Texans allowed JT to keep us in the game........and almost beat them, because they were focused on our passing game, which features Gardner Minshew who cant hit a wide open RB in the flat, and a bunch of recievers that, also according to you, arent very good either.

Doug, you're hilarious. As usual. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

My last post on the playcall. 

hindsight- it’s 20/20 vision. Everyone uses hindsight following plays and games. But hindsight doesn’t matter on a playcall, what matters is logic. Shane Steichen called in to Minshew to try and draw the defense offsides after 3rd and 2 fell well short. Try and draw them off ,take the timeout. Gives us a moment to see how they line up and discuss it going into the timeout. What does that discussion look like? Well for one, JT getting stuffed for no gain or not enough to get that first down on 4th, not just once or twice on that very drive, but four times. Take running off the table as a low percentage chance with the look the defense gave. What look? Man coverage with what, 7/8 guys stacked in tight?

What is a high percentage chance? Goodson in the flat. Not expected, Pittman picking, have practiced it flawlessly. How many coaches discussed this? More than just Steichen in his head. Analytics, scooter, minshew all in on the discussion during a lengthy timeout. Play was wide open as designed. The throw and catch was not as designed. That isn’t a playcall issue, that’s a player execution issue. “Well playcall and execution are one and the same.”only in hindsight. The logical thing is to think through this analytically and without prejudice of using hindsight that it wasn’t executed or that it would have been higher chances of success doing something differently. It wouldn’t have been. They used logic to design an open play concept and it worked, except for the execution of two players. 

“Jonathan Taylor had 188 yards and is your best player. He should have been catching that ball” - Well, would it be open, or keyed on forcing the decision further into Minshew’s hands? Would he catch it? Idk, he has a bad thumb and now a bum heel. He ran out of bounds conservatively twice on this set of downs instead of sticking his nose in and gaining the necessary yards to avoid this situation. Can he even get us another yard? What was his comments like coming off the field? These aren’t things we even know, but the coaching staff does and they weighed it all and called a perfectly designed and well prepared play that failed only because the throw and catch weren’t executed. 

From here, hindsight can be used as a piece of data. We now know that play to Goodson isn’t as high percentage as we thought. Find someone new, because it still works as a playcall with a qb/pass catcher that can execute it. But it didn’t work as data last night because the data they had on it was from practicing it which by Minshew’s accounts was perfect. 

You can live in hindsight, or you can choose to better use the brain you were gifted. 

Hey you know what we should have done? Send our backup DT Eric Johnson on a fly route.....nobody wouldve expected that.

Cmon man. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

But can he also drop a 4th and 1 pass? That’s the real question…

Dan Klecko is the answer to the back up DT question above but then, there are so many DL and OL reporting eligible that have caught TD passes. Heck, Peyton Manning threw to Dominic Rhodes once on a 4th down for a TD pass vs the Chargers, if I remember right (the Freeney Lis Franc injury game in 2007). Mike Vrabel made a living out of it catching passes from Tom Brady.

Steichen brought Minshew this far, and Minshew brought Steichen this far, and just because Minshew had a bad first half, Steichen did not stop trusting Minshew and that almost brought the Colts back. Minshew completed a lot of good passes in the second half, that is getting lost in the shuffle, even though overall it was a sub par game for him. Steichen trusted Minshew to put a simple pass on the money in a second half where he had been doing relatively better. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Steichen trusted Minshew to put a simple pass on the money in a second half where he had been doing better. I don't see anything wrong with that.

All-in-all, I stand by my long time stance that your team is only going as far as your qb takes you. For the Texans, cj stroud won them a division. For the 2023 Colts, we weren’t winning that game without throwing again. Just very little chance. They were putting the ball in Minshew’s hands and we took what they gave. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

All-in-all, I stand by my long time stance that your team is only going as far as your qb takes you. For the Texans, cj stroud won them a division. For the 2023 Colts, we weren’t winning that game without throwing again. Just very little chance. They were putting the ball in Minshew’s hands and we took what they gave. 

This is so true, but its just so disappointing given the situation. We were right there. 

But the gap between Minshew and Stroud was just too great and it showed at the end of the game.

The throws Stroud made to Collins to start the game and on that scramble in the 4th quarter vs Minshews throw to Pittman that sailed 15 yards over his head out of bounds and his attempted swing pass on 4th down, is the entire story here. 

The play call is just frustrating for me because I honestly think we couldve still won, in spite of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

This is so true, but its just so disappointing given the situation. We were right there. 

But the gap between Minshew and Stroud was just too great and it showed at the end of the game.

The throws Stroud made to Collins to start the game and on that scramble in the 4th quarter vs Minshews throw to Pittman that sailed 15 yards over his head out of bounds and his attempted swing pass on 4th down, is the entire story here. 

The play call is just frustrating for me because I honestly think we couldve still won, in spite of it. 

too reminiscent of Carson Wentz lobbing overthrows against the raiders 2021… “just make the layups.”-Chris Ballard 

I would love to have been a fly on the wall next to Ballard and Irsay that last play. I wanna know what they looked like.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How long do you guys think it will be before we know if they are going to let go of Bradley? Within a week?

Probably longer. When Ballard gives his presser, it will be “we’re going to evaluate.” 

and they will. Meaning- not just his performance, but what other options they have. 

my favorite mantra- grass is always greener… 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You should be able to see it right there because  I embedded it.

I mean what did he say that the guy responded with moral victories on? I can’t see the initial post and it won’t let me view when I click on it. 

nevermind- found it

21 hours ago, coming on strong said:

its a harder catch then it looks like .   he had to run then completely turn around mid run and fall back towards the ball  while worrying about making the first down after the catch .    i dont know how minshew with zero pass rush cant throw a yard pass accurate and lead goodson .

With as many 4th-an-1 plays the Colts have, you would think we would have an easy 2-yd curl in our playbook.