Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Week #14 All Around the NFL game thread

NFLfan

Steelers @ Patriots  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Week #14 starts with a game tonight featuring two of the Colts' biggest nemeses of the recent past. Who will you be rooting for?

• Steelers
    • Patriots
    • Neither. I hope it ends in a tie.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2023 at 04:12 AM

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I’m thinking the league might be getting a bit tired of the Chiefs???

I don’t think refs cost the colts the game today but they were really bad in the colts game today. Makes me wonder. Who wants colts in playoffs. Not many. The Nelson penalty and the miss block in the back on Moore were ridiculous.

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was the right call on the Chiefs, but the problem is it is rarely called is why Reid and Mahomes were complaining. This happens in almost every game actually and has happened 100's of times where the Refs don't call a WR offsides because his toe is off sides. It just happened these REFS had Superman vision and seen it. It had no bearing on the play which makes it worse, Chiefs would have scored regardless. 

The problem was when a player with bad history on penalties and such like Toney does, and if it's true that he did it egregiously blocking the officials view, what do you think would happen?

This is why it's important for a player to conduct himself well most of the time that he'd get leniency in situations like this but Toney just keeps adding more to his ugly resume. 

• Like 2

What a Dominant game tonight by the Cowboys. Jerry has really assembled a All around power house and he spares no expense to win and gladly picked up Gilmores  $10 million contract to boost team.. Also a shout out to their scouts for spottimg Skip Bayless calls "Eleven from.Heaven". 

Dak is in MVP form and my choice for making Super Bowl which would great for Jerry as he is maybe the best owner in league or at least true to win as.much other. 

Mahomes said in his post press conference this is the 1st time in his career that penalty call has been made against any snap he has took. Let that sink in. We are talking 6 years+ . The REFS are complete poop this year. They need to start letting the players decide games because they are ruining the NFL. As a diehard football fan since 1977 and a diehard Colts fan since 1984, people don't realize how close I was to just boycotting watching after the Browns game. I was so close. I am still not over that game to be honest because we flat out got cheated and everyone knows it but ignores it. We should be 8-5 and if that was the case, we would have a 80% of making the playoffs. As of now we are at 50%.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mahomes said in his post press conference this is the 1st time in his career that penalty call has been made against any snap he has took. Let that sink in. We are talking 6 years+ . The REFS are complete poop this year. They need to start letting the players decide games because they are ruining the NFL. As a diehard football fan since 1977 and a diehard Colts fan since 1984, people don't realize how close I was to just boycotting watching after the Browns game. I was so close. I am still not over that game to be honest because we flat out got cheated and everyone knows it but ignores it. We should be 8-5 and if that was the case, we would have a 80% of making the playoffs. As of now we are at 50%.

Yet it was a clear foul.  Not calling it decides the game against the Bills.  You can’t just ignore clear penalties to let “players decide games”.  If the Chiefs don’t like it there is an easy solution.  Don’t line up offsides.

Last week KC was up in arms about fouls that weren’t called (ignoring they got a free 15 yards for a hit out of bounds that didn’t happen to kick start their drive).  Now they are whining about one that was called.  They can’t have it both ways.  Either let them play or call it.  They aren’t calling for one or the other which tells me they are just upset they didn’t get calls to go their way.

9 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

They never call that. Now watch closely the rest of season and see how often that goes uncalled.

I heard that it has been called over 10 times this year. Last year it was called twice. It seems that they have made a point to call it this year. But this guy was clearly off the line of scrimmage. It was glaring.

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

imagine if colts still had Gilmore. Wow 

This is hillarious 

I’m 

As funny as that is, and I am not a chiefs fan by any means, I think there is some validity to their complaint. It’s not like he was a yard into the neutral zone, and we see players on both sides in the replay, lined up in the neutral zone, so there should have been offsetting penalties if they’re gonna call it for a toe over the line by half an inch. 

considering nearly every play , of any game, I bet there’s a part of a player lined up offsides and not getting called, and when the refs have a history of only calling it when it’s grossly over the line, the penalty at that time in the game seemed pretty odd. 

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What a Dominant game tonight by the Cowboys. Jerry has really assembled a All around power house and he spares no expense to win and gladly picked up Gilmores  $10 million contract to boost team.. Also a shout out to their scouts for spottimg Skip Bayless calls "Eleven from.Heaven". 

Dak is in MVP form and my choice for making Super Bowl which would great for Jerry as he is maybe the best owner in league or at least true to win as.much other. 

I’m not so sure. We’ve seen time and time again, the Cowboys make noise in November and December, but get one and done in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

NFC East Eagles do the same too, assembling stars.

The last 4 weeks of the NFL are going to be very interesting for AFC and #1 seeding:

Dolphins - playing Jets, Cowboys, Ravens and Bills

Ravens - playing Jaguars, 49ers, Dolphins, Steelers

Chiefs - Patriots, Raiders, Bengals, Chargers 

Now, tell me which team has the best chance of winning all 4 of their last 4 games. 

Chiefs might end up at No.2 seed eventually if not #1, IMO

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I heard that it has been called over 10 times this year. Last year it was called twice. It seems that they have made a point to call it this year. But this guy was clearly off the line of scrimmage. It was glaring.

10 times in 14 weeks is not even 1% of the time. 2 times last year. Going by the letter of the law, yes it was a penalty so if people want to tell me that I can't debate it. Having said that, they rarely call a guy for being offsides when his toe is offsides and it had no bearing on the play which made it worse. Chiefs would have scored regardless. A REF could call that a bunch in every game technically. I see guys lining up offsides on a lot of plays, but the REFS normally just let it go. If they called that in every game, there would be 4 hours games. 

58 minutes ago, csmopar said:

As funny as that is, and I am not a chiefs fan by any means, I think there is some validity to their complaint. It’s not like he was a yard into the neutral zone, and we see players on both sides in the replay, lined up in the neutral zone, so there should have been offsetting penalties if they’re gonna call it for a toe over the line by half an inch. 

considering nearly every play , of any game, I bet there’s a part of a player lined up offsides and not getting called, and when the refs have a history of only calling it when it’s grossly over the line, the penalty at that time in the game seemed pretty odd. 

He was blatantly off sides. If you have seen the screen shot it’s ridiculous how offsides he was. Probably over a yard.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was blatantly off sides. If you have seen the screen shot it’s ridiculous how offsides he was. Probably over a yard.

No he wasn't, part of his foot was (a toe basically) and when the Chiefs lined up, I didn't even notice it in real time. You notice things in real time if a guy is obviously almost touching a defender. 

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No he wasn’t. The replays and screenshots show his two was in front of the ball. The ref even gave a statement saying as much, and said the reason they threw the flag was because the position of the leg was partially blocking the refs view of the ball, 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No he wasn't, part of his foot was (a toe basically) and when the Chiefs lined up, I didn't even notice it in real time. You notice things in real time if a guy is obviously almost touching a defender. 

By rule, they can be up to the tip of the ball, which is represented by the line. He’s about 2 inches in front of it. 

IMG_3046.png

• Thanks 1

So obstructing the refs view calls for immediate flag... fine. But who's obstructing their view from so many blatant holds and passing interferences all across the league? We had our own defensive backs getting practically assaulted... And then I counted at least three times last night during the Cowboys - Eagles game where the Cowboys defense were offsides a full second before the ball was snapped. No flag. 

Really seems like the refs practice the whole "rules for thee, but not for me" approach. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So obstructing the refs view calls for immediate flag... fine. But who's obstructing their view from so many blatant holds and passing interferences all across the league? We had our own defensive backs getting practically assaulted... And then I counted at least three times last night during the Cowboys - Eagles game where the Cowboys defense were offsides a full second before the ball was snapped. No flag. 

Really seems like the refs practice the whole "rules for thee, but not for me" approach. 

Like I posted earlier, I am never pro-REFS when they help decide a game in the final 2 minutes unless the penalty is obvious and has bearing on a play. We could get a bogus call late in a game that helps us win and I still would complain about it. I would be happy we won but it would be a sick feeling knowing we cheated someone to do so. I don't mind losing, I am here after every loss, just don't cheat me as a fan! Browns game did that. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I posted earlier, I am never pro-REFS when they help decide a game in the final 2 minutes unless the penalty is obvious and has bearing on a play. We could get a bogus call late in a game that helps us win and still would complain about it. I would be happy we won but it would be a sick feeling knowing we cheated someone to do so. I don't mind losing, I am here after every loss, just don't cheat me as a fan! Browns game did that. 

They did the same thing to Cincy last year in the playoffs against Kansas. One b.s. penalty gave the Chiefs the win in the final minutes of the game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’m not so sure. We’ve seen time and time again, the Cowboys make noise in November and December, but get one and done in the playoffs. 

That is true and that's what I say to my cousin who loves them and thinks this is their year. 

It would be nice for Jerry if they do win it or at least make it to the super bowl. 

I remind him long trends in the NFL usually remain  trends lol. But if they do fail in the playoffs its no fault on him as he's done a good job fielding a talented team. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

By rule, they can be up to the tip of the ball, which is represented by the line. He’s about 2 inches in front of it. 

IMG_3046.png

Firstly, the blue line is not 100%. Most of the time those lines are generated based on the nearest hash mark for yard indicator. Second, the ball itself isn’t even on the blue line (I doubt the center moved it that far back when they picked up the ball). Third, the white hash marks are 4 inches thick, and his foot is at minimum 3/4 of the way into it.

Im not trying to be combative but this is a penalty. Petty as it may be, the WR has to be better about that. I’ve never seen a WR line up that close to the line of scrimmage before as they’re usually way off of it.

47 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Firstly, the blue line is not 100%. Most of the time those lines are generated based on the nearest hash mark for yard indicator. Second, the ball itself isn’t even on the blue line (I doubt the center moved it that far back when they picked up the ball). Third, the white hash marks are 4 inches thick, and his foot is at minimum 3/4 of the way into it.

Im not trying to be combative but this is a penalty. Petty as it may be, the WR has to be better about that. I’ve never seen a WR line up that close to the line of scrimmage before as they’re usually way off of it.

I agree with all that. But 3/4 of 4 inches is 3 inches, so you’re gonna split hairs over an inch?

my point is, they lined up this way multiple times all game long. They were never warned, confirmed by both the refs and the team, never had a penalty on it, not until the game is on line, and after they score a TD. It should have been called all night long . Not start in the final 63 seconds. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree with all that. But 3/4 of 4 inches is 3 inches, so you’re gonna split hairs over an inch?

my point is, they lined up this way multiple times all game long. They were never warned, confirmed by both the refs and the team, never had a penalty on it, not until the game is on line, and after they score a TD. It should have been called all night long . Not start in the final 63 seconds. 

That was my point to the whole thing as well. I bet if I went back and watched film of the whole game even the Bills did the same on a few plays and nothing was called. I just think calling anything in the last 2 minutes of a game unless it is a obvious blatant penalty like a WR being mugged and tackled or someone being hit out of bounds that was way out, they need to let the players decide the game. 

Every week, it seems like players and fans are talking about the REFS and that is a bad look. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s taking the blue line as the true line of scrimmage which is not always the case. It looks like the sticks were just shy of the 49 which would mean half of his foot is ahead of the line of scrimmage, which means more than his whole foot is in the neutral zone (the length of the football).

I’ve added another picture to show just how far over the line he was. That’s egregious and I highly doubt it was anywhere near that bad all game. The referee even stated he couldn’t even see the ball he was that far over. 

The timing of calling it in the final minute, is not ideal but again, with him being that far over, that’s absurd.

While I hate the refs impacting games like that, if they don’t call it for that, why have it as a rule at all? And to be fair to the refs, they threw the flag fairly quickly before the play developed.

IMG_9642.jpeg

I don't have a problem with the call even though it nullified what would have been a great play. Toney was glaringly lined up in the neutral zone. He was farther in than the ball -- his right foot is at the 49 yard line while the ball is behind that.

Referee Carl Cheffers addressed the call after the game, saying the down judge saw that Toney’s “alignment was over the ball and that’s what he ruled on the field.” Regarding Reid’s comment about getting a warning, Cheffers said that if a coach or receiver looks for alignment advice, officials will give it to them, but “ultimately, they are responsible for wherever they line up.”

“And certainly, no warning is required, especially if they are lined up so far offsides where they’re actually blocking our view of the ball,” Cheffers said. “So, we would give them some sort of warning if it was anywhere close, but this particular one is beyond warning.”

https://theathletic.com/5129229/2023/12/11/chiefs-andy-reid-kadarius-toney-offside?source=user-shared-article

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure either will get fined because the REFS being bad all season is nothing new. Players and fans both are fed up with it for the most part. It seems like every week, there is a huge game or even 2, everyone is talking about the REFS a lot. I have never seen that before.

Sure seems to be the case. Not sure if it’s just being noticed more or what. 

• Like 1

I don’t really care if the penalty occurred in the last 2 minutes or first 2 minutes…if it’s a penalty it should be called. What’s the point of having a rule if it isn’t followed? Again, as some have said I would also argue it was a little bit too far over the line otherwise they probably would have let it go.

• Like 1