Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Week #14 All Around the NFL game thread

NFLfan

Steelers @ Patriots  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Week #14 starts with a game tonight featuring two of the Colts' biggest nemeses of the recent past. Who will you be rooting for?

• Steelers
    • Patriots
    • Neither. I hope it ends in a tie.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/2023 at 04:12 AM

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

What is the NFL's definition of taunting? That reaction by Chubb (slamming the helmet) did not look like what I consider "taunting". I don't think any opposing player viewed that as taunting. He looks as if he is upset with himself.

Usually, taking off helmet on the field would be 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' or so.. I've not seen the play, if he didn't direct it to or near opponents, hard to consider it as taunting. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What is the NFL's definition of taunting? That reaction by Chubb (slamming the helmet) did not look like what I consider "taunting". I don't think any opposing player viewed that as taunting. He looks as if he is upset with himself.

Chubb was flagged for "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" for slamming his helmet, and he was upset for having tried and failed to tackle Levis, and watching him run for alot of yards as a result.

As for taunting, I guess it's whatever the refs think a player is doing to show up an opponent.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Usually, taking off helmet on the field would be 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' or so.. I've not seen the play, if he didn't direct it to or near opponents, hard to consider it as taunting. 

I was mistaken. I thought he was called for taunting, but @Lancer1 clarified that Chubb was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"Unsportsmanlike conduct" could mean any action that a ref believes is unbecoming of a player or coach?? It seems like a judgment call. I would consider celebrating to be somewhat "unsportsmanlike". Taunting also falls under that category. For those concerned about refs making a bad judgment call at the end of games, "unsportsmanlike conduct" is what would worry me most. The NFL should clarify exactly what is "unsportsmanlike".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I was mistaken. I thought he was called for taunting, but @Lancer1 clarified that Chubb was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

"Unsportsmanlike conduct" could mean any action that a ref believes is unbecoming of a player or coach?? It seems like a judgment call. I would consider celebrating to be somewhat "unsportsmanlike". Taunting also falls under that category. For those concerned about refs making a bad judgment call at the end of games, "unsportsmanlike conduct" is what would worry me most. The NFL should clarify exactly what is "unsportsmanlike".

Throwing helmet on the field gets that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty almost  every time, think of penalty given to Diggs in Minneapolis Miracle play. 

Even talking off the helmet on the field unless it comes off during the play gets it, so players usually take off as they walk off close to the sidelines. 

• NFLfan unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Are you saying that Ballard read the landscape and decided it was safe to trade down to 52 and still get ADM?  Nothing in his interview supports that.   Whose to say that if Ballard trades down once again because he thought no team would take a WR in the 2nd, that a team like SF now sees value in ADM, and possibly reevaluates and pushes to trade Deebo or Ayiuk.  Teams, draft boards can change as the draft is happening, and Ballard is right to say that nobody knows how this stuff will play out.  He doesn't know that another team won't trade up to 53, or 47 for that matter.
    • Ranked on their draft boards or ranked in terms of being an NFL prospect?  Yes, those aren't the same things.   In terms of NFL prospects, yes, I think all teams have pretty much the same 250 players ranked in pretty much the same order.  That's what the "Top 100 prospects means".  Its prospects.  Of course, they are more certain about the players they have ranked highly than the players they have ranked lower.  The margin of error for the lower players is higher than it is for the higher players, so there is a chance that a player with a 7th round grade by one team gets selected in the 5th round by another, over a 5th round ranking guy getting selected in the 3rd round by another.  I'd wager that teams have their top 25 ranked pretty much the same.   I'm speaking in terms of understanding the players' attributes, talents, Character risks, and abilities to play in the NFL...which is NOT the same as their draft boards...meaning who they might want to actually draft.   Draft boards would be based upon those attributes combined with the uniqueness of the teams,  So even though a team may think Marvin Harrison is the number 1 prospect, they may choose to pick their number 12 ranked prospect guy JJ McCarthy.  Knowing talent and needs, they probably have JJ higher on their Draft board than MHJ.    But no, I do not think that each team knows how the other 31 teams have their draft boards ranked, with any degree of certainty.   I think every GM had ADM ranked as a prospect the same as every other, in terms of risks, talents, etc.  The team that actually picked him has unique reasons for picking him.  And if you put almost ay other GM in the place of Ballard at the time, who understands the Colts, he would have picked ADM for the Colts too.  And they too would have felt lucky that their, say, 35th ranked prospect was still available at pick 52.  Ballard said that "nobody has any idea how this stuff plays out"  Its not my opinion to argue with.  I'm trying to help those on the forum understand what he's saying, even if it conflicts with the opinions they've held for years.       So you judge the validity of a post based upon consensus?  That's all you got?  Yeah, ok, the consensus apparently does not agree with me.  Big deal.
    • Looking forward to watching it later.  Love when the colts do this.  
  • Members

• adubb84

adubb84 1,376

• JFreeman

JFreeman 7

• 1959Colts

1959Colts 3,768

• midmoColtsfan

midmoColtsfan 0

• MarquisJ

MarquisJ 509

• stitches