Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

1 hour ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I know… I’m not doing a good job of hiding it lol. My mom told me the news on my way home from work and I immediately got on the forum when I got home to see what my “Colts family” was saying about it.

I’m sad with the others who find it surprising and/or sad.

I’m sad about the ones who are saying it’s just business and it was time to move on.

I understand all the different points of view given, but it all just makes me more sad the more I read. There have been some players on our team that I grew attached to as a fan, and Shaq was certainly one of them. I don’t care if he was just a cheerleader on the sidelines lol, I would never want to see him NOT apart of the Colts. I know eventually my brain will have to cope with this and I am a Colts fan for life no matter what. Just feeling really down about it is all :Cry:

I hear you. A lot of what I am reading makes me shake my head. But it is not surprising. A lot of sports fans do not understand that these athletes are human beings. Making money does not change that. They are not robots who can turn it on and off. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I was listening to Zach Hicks podcast and he was calling Franklin a top LB in the league, which I don’t really agree with. I mean I would say he’s an above average run stopper but his pass defense isn’t good. 

He did emphasize though that Bradley’s system just isn’t a good fit for Leonard because Leonard needs to be able to follow his instincts to make plays and turnovers but Bradley’s system is pretty much the opposite. Where you have to strictly follow the rules set for the position. 

Hicks is a silly Colts fanboy. Franklin, at best, is a top 5 LB in the AFCS. He's a solid run tackler though.

• Like 1

The entire situation is sad. You have a guy that was on a HOF trajectory have his career altered by injuries.  I don’t wish that on any player.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Hicks is a silly Colts fanboy. Franklin, at best, is a top 5 LB in the AFCS. He's a solid run tackler though.

Hicks is defiantly not a fan boy. I think he is too harsh sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Not really, LB core has been pretty bad all year.

Shaq included.

Franklin is going to asking for a big raise next year. He only has 1yr $3.39m left on deal. He claimed he was #1 LB in the league a month back or so.

He going to be asking for $15m+ next year. I wouldn't even give him $5m.

Just the thought of that alone makes me hope we move on from Gus after the year(Gus loves Franklin). Can't fathom paying big money to Franklin.

Think it was the other way around.

Got booted, then went and handed out Turkeys.?

Agree. The LB room has become really overrated for some reason. Franklin is can ask, but he's not going to get it. If they are extending any d guys into their 30s, it has to be Grover or DeFo. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

A big part of that is because they haven't even tried to find a replacement or even legit depth at LG.

But Speed is only a replacement because Leonard's play hasn't been good. Speed is not some star being held back.

And the Q of the past 2+ years is very much replaceable...at a position that is not too difficult to address. So given two offseasons, I think there would be a replacement option. 

But again, it's more about the direction the team is taking. It's not anything against Q.

Speed won us the browns game until refs stole the game. There was another game where speed had a 4th down pass breakup to win the game. Everything he is on the field in important moments he seems to come through.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Probably not but, that is just a reference people love to use, so it was probably just some comedic relief. Help him hide some pain in the moment.

It's got to be hard, whether it was the team, his or a mutual decision.

Read the article that @csmopar  shared. To me, Leonard clearly was not expecting to be waived.

Some believe that he got "punished" for speaking his mind. If that is the reason for being released (waived), that is disappointing. I know that he was not playing well, but others were not playing well either.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Read the article that @csmopar  shared. To me, Leonard clearly was not expecting to be waived.

Some believe that he got "punished" for speaking his mind. If that is the reason for being released (waived), that is disappointing. I know that he was not playing well, but others were not playing well either.

I think he indeed did not ask to be released but I do think colts did him a favor because they  knew he would be unhappy on the bench. 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think he indeed did not ask to be released but I do think colts did him a favor because they  knew he would be unhappy on the bench. 

Maybe he goes to a team like the Broncos where Vance Joseph would give him the freedom to roam and make plays for turnovers. That is the style the Broncos seem to be playing lately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I said he was probably not(expecting it).

Just don't read to much into the "fired on my day off" quote.

It is just a famous quote, people use to shine a funny side to a situation.

Disappointed but I understand the decision. 

For 6M, I would have kept him on the roster to the end of the season.

But like other posters have said, Colts had no plans to bring him back in 2024 at that price so why not let him go so he can find another team.

Once he clears waivers, lots of teams will be interested 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

https://fox59.com/sports/colts/shaq-leonard-being-waived-by-colts-was-the-biggest-surprise-ever/?utm_source=wxin_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link

During the Monday meeting, Bradley informed Leonard he would be inactive – a healthy scratch – Sunday when the Colts returned to action against Tampa Bay at Lucas Oil Stadium.

“The first thing was ‘You are going to be inactive’,’’ Leonard said. “That’s kind of how it started. I told them a month ago, ‘Yes, I want to play. There’s no question I want to play.’ But I always told them if E.J.’s playing better than me, I have no problem with E.J. being the starter.

“I honestly thought if I wasn’t going to (start), I was going to be a backup. I did not think I was going to get the boot and get fired on my day off.’’

After being informed of his pending inactive status for the Buccaneers game, Leonard returned home.

Tuesday, he was informed he was being waived. The 2018 second-round pick whose gigantic mural is featured on the prominent façade at Lucas Oil Stadium no longer was a Colt.

A source with knowledge of the situation insisted it was a personnel decision, period. Leonard’s recent comments regarding his lack of playing time didn’t impact the move.

Yeah, there might be some grey area, but the ideas that Shaq asked for his release, or that the team was mad at him for making public comments, don't seem to be supported by the reporting right now.

We've only heard one side so far. It's possible that all the "sources" being referenced yesterday were Leonard's agent, with whom Indy media got real comfortable during the Taylor contract situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Maybe he goes to a team like the Broncos where Vance Joseph would give him the freedom to roam and make plays for turnovers. That is the style the Broncos seem to be playing lately.

I think once he clears waivers a team will sign him because I think then that contact is not good anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Q is playing good this season. Why would you want him gone. Our O.Line has been a bright point all season.

He’s looking for a new whipping boy.  It didn’t take long did it.  It looks like Q is the new target because of him not earning his salary.  Last I looked he was having a very good year.  Not good enough it appears for some.  He’s no longer the highest paid guard either.  Guards are easy to replace?  Sure ask the rest of the league about that.  It took us awhile to replace Glow didn’t it.  People wanted to run Kelly out of town too.  He was the highest paid center at one time.  Easy to find a starting center as well I guess.  I’m sure glad we didn’t go down that road.  I can’t even remember when the Colts had cap problems.  Probably when we franchised Peyton for awhile.  Worrying about what players get paid is something for the GM and owner to worry about.  If the are on the same page I have no worries.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. I can see him joining Sirianni with the Eagles. I don't know if he fits the Brian Flores defense but I would not mind him on the Vikings.

I think there is an outside chance a team like the Cardinals, where he probably wouldn't sign a FA deal with right now, might put a claim in and have him moving forward?

Gannon was on staff here with Leonard, although he was DB coach.

Eagles make sense

Malki liking Dolphins post

Bears obviously

Browns have plenty of cap

A lot of teams make sense really. Any team SB hunting.

The bottom teams are more after he clears waivers.(if he does)

Even though Bears are bad they probably have an edge with Eberflus if he is still there. Probably be Harbaugh, tbh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Bears can get him cheap maybe they  have a chance. What about Gannon in AZ?

I can see the Cardinals claiming him thinking ahead for next season.  If I were him I would want to go to a team that would let him play his old position.  Not sure if that’s the Cardinals.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

A big part of that is because they haven't even tried to find a replacement or even legit depth at LG.

But Speed is only a replacement because Leonard's play hasn't been good. Speed is not some star being held back.

And the Q of the past 2+ years is very much replaceable...at a position that is not too difficult to address. So given two offseasons, I think there would be a replacement option. 

But again, it's more about the direction the team is taking. It's not anything against Q.

The LT position has been unsettled the past three years.  Maybe now they can more seriously address the issue since Raimann seems solid. 

But then there is Kelly too, and his concussion.  And Q is playing well. 

I've never been a fan of the initial draft investment or the resign (didn't really care much) but I think there are a lot more priorities on this team than trying to save $10M at LG. 

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think there is an outside chance a team like the Cardinals, where he probably wouldn't sign a FA deal with right now, might put a claim in and have him moving forward?

Gannon was on staff here with Leonard, although he was DB coach.

Eagles make sense

Malki liking Dolphins post

Bears obviously

Browns have plenty of cap

A lot of teams make sense really. Any team SB hunting.

The bottom teams are more after he clears waivers.(if he does)

Even though Bears are bad they probably have an edge with Eberflus if he is still there. Probably be Harbaugh, tbh.

I doubt any team makes a waiver claim. They can get him far cheaper by waiting out the time period. No doubt that those interested are already in touch and getting a feel for the contract demand. 

And remember, Shaq hasn’t been very good this year. His market will be there but it’s a depressed one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoose said:

I doubt any team makes a waiver claim. They can get him far cheaper by waiting out the time period. No doubt that those interested are already in touch and getting a feel for the contract demand. 

And remember, Shaq hasn’t been very good this year. His market will be there but it’s a depressed one. 

I agree 99.99%

Cardinals just the only team where a claim might make sense.

Coach on prior staff

Shaq will be able to pick his destination if he clears and doubt Cardinals with the status of their season would make the list 

Building for next year.

Claiming him isn't as bad as it seems.

It really is only a $12.6m(ish) gamble. The rest is non guaranteed, and if he were to stay healthy the rest of the year that gamble only goes down to $6.1m(pro rated base for rest of season), the $6.5m injury only guarantee wouldn't kick in, because he can pass a physical.

That makes the final 3 years all non guaranteed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. "Gag order" sounds more serious than what I wanted to convey.  What I meant is that no one is saying anything. It reminds me a bit of Bill Belichick who would not reveal anything to the public.

I understood what you meant. When no one wants to talk about it, something happened lol. Doesn’t really matter anyways. With how long it’s been since he has played well, Leonard will mostly be forgotten by Colts fans in 2 years anyways. This league moves fast. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hoose said:

To be fair, I really think he has been playing out of position and asked to something he shouldn't of been.

Everyone(not everyone ,lol)said he can't hold up with his size in the league, throwing his body around. This is when he had people keeping him clean so he could make plays.

So now, we think he can survive in this league taking out the blockers to free up Franklin? Then expect the same play making ability in a role that has shifted substancially?

Leonard had a valid complaint in that aspect. He wasn't given the opportunity to play the position he excelled at. Can he when he moves on? Who knows, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried he's about to make us wish the Colts didn't let him go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If Malki and Shaq are smart, they should be on the phone with teams right now, trying to get them to make the claim 

He isn't going to see that $50m+ that is left on his contract for a while, if at all, if he goes unclaimed.

I would be calling teams now and saying you would rework the contract if they claim him.

Maybe turn it into a 5yr deal with same numbers to lower the AAV, and get some or all of '24 guaranteed for agreeing to rework the deal for the betterment of both parties.

After typing all that, still probably going to go unclaimed though. Lol.

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

To be fair, I really think he has been playing out of position and asked to something he shouldn't of been.

Everyone(not everyone ,lol)said he can't hold of with his size in the league throwing his body around. This is when he had people keeping him clean so he could make plays.

So now, we think he can survive in this league taking out the blockers to free up Franklin? Then expect the same play making ability in a role that has shifted substancially?

Leonard had a valid complaint in that aspect. He wasn't given the opportunity to play the position he excelled at. Can he when he moves on? Who knows, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried he's about to make us wish the Colts didn't let him go.

I get what you’re saying.  It’s possible we were holding him back. However, great players make plays wherever you put them. Maybe not to their potential but the talent shines.  Move Buckner or Donald to DE, put Hill, Adams and Hopkins at any receiver spot, Watt can play with his hand in the dirt or from LB spot…Roquan and Warner can impact games from any LB position.  Put great players on the field and they will make plays.  Leonard had great production for 4 years, obviously the scheme and health had a lot to do with it. He has neither now and it points to it was time to move on. He may play great for someone else but I don’t think he was ever going to play great here again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

Everyone(not everyone ,lol)said he can't hold up with his size in the league, throwing his body around. This is when he had people keeping him clean so he could make plays.

Yup. They changed his role and asked him to do something he's never been known for doing. It's also a role that doesn't lend itself to the playmaking he was previously known for. They reduced his snaps, then told him 'when you start making more plays, we'll give you more snaps.' 

It's like taking a hybrid TE who is known for making explosive plays in the passing game, and making him an inline blocker, then telling him 'you'll get more snaps when  you get back to making plays in the passing game.' 

I understand his complaint. We can turn on the tape and see that he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire, but I still get why he was frustrated.

I'm not too worried about him going somewhere else and playing well. I think he might be able to go somewhere else and make more splash plays, but he probably isn't explosive enough to do so consistently anymore.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. They changed his role and asked him to do something he's never been known for doing. It's also a role that doesn't lend itself to the playmaking he was previously known for. They reduced his snaps, then told him 'when you start making more plays, we'll give you more snaps.' 

It's like taking a hybrid TE who is known for making explosive plays in the passing game, and making him an inline blocker, then telling him 'you'll get more snaps when  you get back to making plays in the passing game.' 

I understand his complaint. We can turn on the tape and see that he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire, but I still get why he was frustrated.

I'm not too worried about him going somewhere else and playing well. I think he might be able to go somewhere else and make more splash plays, but he probably isn't explosive enough to do so consistently anymore.

I understand what the two of you are saying and both may indeed be right….

But for what it’s worth, when Ballard picked Bradley he said then that GB was picked because his defense was closest to the Flus defense.  Ballard said it should be easy for the players to transition from the former defense to the new defense.  Both were simple, easy to pick up and stressed playing fast.  That it was a defense even rookies should be able to pick up quickly.   

So it feels like there’s a gap between your views — which I respect — and what Ballard believes.    I’d love to be able to ask CB about this now.  But we might have to wait until the post-season review. 

2 hours ago, DEColtsLover36 said:

I know… I’m not doing a good job of hiding it lol. My mom told me the news on my way home from work and I immediately got on the forum when I got home to see what my “Colts family” was saying about it.

I’m sad with the others who find it surprising and/or sad.

I’m sad about the ones who are saying it’s just business and it was time to move on.

I understand all the different points of view given, but it all just makes me more sad the more I read. There have been some players on our team that I grew attached to as a fan, and Shaq was certainly one of them. I don’t care if he was just a cheerleader on the sidelines lol, I would never want to see him NOT apart of the Colts. I know eventually my brain will have to cope with this and I am a Colts fan for life no matter what. Just feeling really down about it is all :Cry:

I am sad too

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But for what it’s worth, when Ballard picked Bradley he said then that GB was picked because his defense was closest to the Flus defense.  Ballard said it should be easy for the players to transition from the former defense to the new defense.  Both were simple, easy to pick up and stressed playing fast.  That it was a defense even rookies should be able to pick up quickly.   

So it feels like there’s a gap between your views — which I respect — and what Ballard believes.    I’d love to be able to ask CB about this now.  But we might have to wait until the post-season review. 

The only problem with this is, he wasn't playing the same role. He had to swap positions and roles. Went from roaming around being kept clean, making impact plays, to sacrificing his body, just to free up Franklin, on reduced snap counts.

The role he excelled in, is the role Zaire plays now, at a very underwhelming level at that. Seriously this is one of my biggest concerns right now moving forward. Giving this guy a big contract.

Would Shaq of excelled if given his role back? We will never know, but he most definitely wasn't given that opportunity.

Was complete asinine to not let Leonard take that role when Franklin was out injured, to see what he could do there.... That's coming from a guy who actually likes Olubi too. 

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

Great post as a whole, to highlight this part.

This is a great analogy right here.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there's room for both to be true.

My understanding is that in Bradley's system, Franklin is playing the role that's most similar to the role Leonard played in Eberflus' system. And vice versa. So Leonard is more often playing over an uncovered gap and taking on a blocker, while Franklin is more often playing behind a DL that's taking on the blocker, and has more opportunity to get to the ball.

I don't think Leonard had any problem picking up Bradley's defense, and I don't think he was missing assignments. I think he's just ill suited for the role. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We can never have a season without turmoil or distraction it seems. Why not just cut him at the end of the season, we still have to pay him this season anyway.

You know what, as we were joking about the obsession in weekly Pick 'Em thread, I thought this forum hasn't had a big thread since JT saga as you even said you go to that thread to have fun amongst all other things here.

So I wanted to say that something's gonna break out in the forum but stopped short of saying it lmao 

Anyway, this thread has kick started the conversations that would lead to off-season and soon there will be plenty to argue and debate about here :D Just another day! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Bears can get him cheap maybe they  have a chance. What about Gannon in AZ?

Cardinals, yes, and Broncos, yes, IMO because they might be giving a few more years for their HC unless something drastic happens. But Bears, Eberflus might be a sitting duck and Leonard may not like that situation. By proving he can work with a DC/HC other than Eberflus, he might actually make a better statement for the remainder of the season, and for his future.

• Like 1