Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 10 draft pick incoming....

ThorstenDenmark

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Tanking for what though?  They don't own their 1st or 2nd rounder next year.

If they are tanking it would be for the highest 3rd rounder possible lol. 

I think the Broncos have their 1st round pick in the next  years draft,last years 1st went to Seattle,but as of this week they’re projected to have the 3rd pick.

47 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

may need a qb depending on ars throwing arm and an elite pass rusher and a elite wr

Maybe. Still a lot to play out between now and then. I think the Colts should finish out the season and see where they stand. If we are drafting in a spot where a top QB is available, they should do their due diligence. If it shows they are better for the Colts, then I support drafting another QB and trading AR. If AR is the better fit, decide if they are taking another player at that spot or trading down. I’m fine either way bc it means we have chosen a franchise QB. Again, a lot will happen between now and then so we will see how it plays out. 

may need a qb depending on ars throwing arm and an elite pass rusher and a elite wr

Maybe. Still a lot to play out between now and then. I think the Colts should finish out the season and see where they stand. If we are drafting in a spot where a top QB is available, they should do their due diligence. If it shows they are better for the Colts, then I support drafting another QB and trading AR. If AR is the better fit, decide if they are taking another player at that spot or trading down. I’m fine either way bc it means we have chosen a franchise QB. Again, a lot will happen between now and then so we will see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

Why?  He didn't win ANY games lol. 

False, Pro-Football Reference shows every stat to every player. Even a QB's W/L record before his numbers. He is 2-2 as a starter, he got credited for the wins over Houston and Tennessee because he started and when he left the Colts were ahead in both games. Having said that, after watching AR play in the 1st 4 games it was obvious to me that teams feared him more than Mustache because of his ability to run (he has 4 Rushing TDs) + he has a stronger arm so he at least can throw deep on occasion. AR was also playing much better than I thought he would, despite what his QBR says. He is damn near 3-1, he led a comeback down 23-0 vs the Rams to send it into OT, he never got a chance in OT because they won the coin toss and scored. If that Rams game didn't get you excited about AR then nothing will. 

3 hours ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I think the Broncos have their 1st round pick in the next  years draft,last years 1st went to Seattle,but as of this week they’re projected to have the 3rd pick.

Ok then they need to tank.  They gotta get a rookie great QB right away to defray Wilson’s dead whale of a sunken contract.  He doesn’t appear any better.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

False, Pro-Football Reference shows every stat to every player. Even a QB's W/L record before his numbers. He is 2-2 as a starter, he got credited for the wins over Houston and Tennessee because he started and when he left the Colts were ahead in both games. Having said that, after watching AR play in the 1st 4 games it was obvious to me that teams feared him more than Mustache because of his ability to run (he has 4 Rushing TDs) + he has a stronger arm so he at least can throw deep on occasion. AR was also playing much better than I thought he would, despite what his QBR says. He is damn near 3-1, he led a comeback down 23-0 vs the Rams to send it into OT, he never got a chance in OT because they won the coin toss and scored. If that Rams game didn't get you excited about AR then nothing will. 

Ok 2 and 2 for his 2 1Q wins lol.  A starting pitcher wouldn’t get a win for three innings but I guess FB players officially get wins for that lol.  So false on my part.

But I stand by the point.

Sure defenses fear AR more.  

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m not excited about AR yet. I like some of what I see.  Visually, he’s stunning, both physically and with his elusiveness in the pocket.

Looking at him throw, I’m unconvinced.  

You seem to read everything on here so you might recall me saying that it may no longer be that the deciding prerequisite to be a quality NFL QB you had to be able to attack the boundary from the pocket.  There’s nothing that I’ve seen from AR on film from college or at the combine yet this year that makes he over confident that he’ll ever do that consistently.

However it might not matter as much.  AR can attack the boundary running and or throwing on the roll out, sprint out or scramble.  

He’s gonna miss a lot of development with this apparently pending surgery.  He will have to relearn to throw and that may or may not be a bad thing.

He doesn’t learn how to get down, he won’t last.  You can’t play QB like you're superior to these animals on NFL fields no matter how good you are.  He needs the fall coach someone was mentioning.

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

Based upon my limited college football watching this season (which includes a lot of UGA games and some OSU games) he looks like the one college player that is truly a generational talent at his position.

And his position scores touchdowns and makes first downs, so its a great position to have a generational talent.

MJHj looks great, but I don't know if he's that much greater than a typical NFL WR.

Actual NFL scouts and Execs have compared MHJ talent to the likes of Randy Moss. Calling him a generational talent . You dont get that type of praise being a Typical NFL WR. 

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Ok 2 and 2 for his 2 1Q wins lol.  A starting pitcher wouldn’t get a win for three innings but I guess FB players officially get wins for that lol.  So false on my part.

But I stand by the point.

Sure defenses fear AR more.  

You posted "Why? He didn't win ANY games lol".

I simply said that is false and I am right, it is a fact. The starter rule and only playing 1 or 2 Qtrs is an NFL rule, not something I made up. It is actually a good rule because if a QB starts and leaves with lead, at that point if his team loses, it isn't his fault.

Let's go to QBR. Do you realize that Trevor Lawrence has a QBR almost equal to Mustache. It is 54.4 to 54.2 and that is even after the game on Sunday where Mustache was awful. Joe Burrow is 26th in QBR at 39.9 so by your logic, AR is better than Joe Burrow by a lot at 45.chuckling homer simpson GIF. See where QBR IS FLAWED. There isn't 5 QBs better than Joe Burrow in the whole league. I actually watch the games and see how players play, so I know who is bad, average, above average, good, very good, or great.

You posted "Why? He didn't win ANY games lol".

I simply said that is false and I am right, it is a fact. The starter rule and only playing 1 or 2 Qtrs is an NFL rule, not something I made up. It is actually a good rule because if a QB starts and leaves with lead, at that point if his team loses, it isn't his fault.

Let's go to QBR. Do you realize that Trevor Lawrence has a QBR almost equal to Mustache. It is 54.4 to 54.2 and that is even after the game on Sunday where Mustache was awful. Joe Burrow is 26th in QBR at 39.9 so by your logic, AR is better than Joe Burrow by a lot at 45.chuckling homer simpson GIF. See where QBR IS FLAWED. There isn't 5 QBs better than Joe Burrow in the whole league. I actually watch the games and see how players play, so I know who is bad, average, above average, good, very good, or great.

burrow hasn’t been very good this year.  He has an anemic 5.3 Yds per completion and has been sacked 14 times.  Where do you think he should rank this year so far ?

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

burrow hasn’t been very good this year.  He has an anemic 5.3 Yds per completion and has been sacked 14 times.  Where do you think he should rank this year so far ?

Joe Burrow has struggled but you know as well as I do by the end of the season he and his team will make the playoffs. In reality he isn't the 26th best QB in the league. My point is, stats can be misleading as can QBR. I just think someone that says AR isn't good because his QBR is 45 is a little misleading. That is just my opinion. I am not trying to knock your opinion but a lot of different factors determine how good a QB is.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joe Burrow has struggled but you know as well as I do by the end of the season he and his team will make the playoffs. In reality he isn't the 26th best QB in the league. My point is, stats can be misleading as can QBR. I just think someone that says AR isn't good because his QBR is 45 is a little misleading. That is just my opinion. I am not trying to knock your opinion but a lot of different factors determine how good a QB is.

Bestie you lose me sometimes man.  

I don’t think Burrows QBR is misleading.  He hasn’t been good.  

Hes a top 5ish QB but hasn’t produced this year.  QBR doesn’t measure what a player should do but what he does.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

You decided  this after just 6 games. And if we win next week we have a top twenty pick?.. lol

we wont win the next game against the best D# in 40 years, which the browns have.

Our best player is who? Nelson?

Just don´t find this colts team that good right now...:( 

9 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

we wont win the next game against the best D# in 40 years, which the browns have.

Our best player is who? Nelson?

Just don´t find this colts team that good right now...:( 

Your not wrong, and our hope is with a rookie QB who is out for the year and a GM who is passive. Meaning, he does little in Free Agency and typically stays put or trades back in the draft.  New vision is needed at the top IMO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Bestie you lose me sometimes man.  

I don’t think Burrows QBR is misleading.  He hasn’t been good.  

Hes a top 5ish QB but hasn’t produced this year.  QBR doesn’t measure what a player should do but what he does.

I really don't know how to explain it to you, of course his QBR is 26th right now because he has struggled, so yes that particular stats is factual as of today regarding Burrow. The misleading thing is, he is a lot better than being the 26th best QB. Has he played good this year - no, but anyone that follows football would still rank him in the top 5 QB's in the league. A few bad games does not mean he is who the QB he is. That is about the only way I can explain it. If you disagree with me that is fine because I can't find a way to explain it any better lol.

Bottomline is, I just think using 1 thing to measure how good a QB is, doesn't tell the whole story. One thing I have learned from stats people is, they never factor in a QB's presence/leadership, fear factor, or clutch factor - those things do not show up on a stat sheet. It is just all about stats. I am even a stats guy to an extent, but I would take Joe Montana over Drew Brees all-time and that would be an easy decision but statistically by almost any measure, Brees was better. No matter how I explain things I doubt you will get my point, but I tried. 

1 hour ago, Peter Nova said:

Your not wrong, and our hope is with a rookie QB who is out for the year and a GM who is passive. Meaning, he does little in Free Agency and typically stays put or trades back in the draft.  New vision is needed at the top IMO.

Yeah after we win this week, he won't post all week and the people saying we should tank will once again look silly chuckling homer simpson GIF. It's a week to week league. Last week Dallas looked like a bunch of CowPatties vs the 49ers, this past week everyone says they are a top 5 in the league again since they won at LA. Too many people are way too fickle and overreact to 1 loss.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't know how to explain it to you, of course his QBR is 26th right now because he has struggled, so yes that particular stats is factual as of today regarding Burrow. The misleading thing is, he is a lot better than being the 26th best QB. Has he played good this year - no, but anyone that follows football would still rank him in the top 5 QB's in the league. A few bad games does not mean he is who the QB he is. That is about the only way I can explain it. If you disagree with me that is fine because I can't find a way to explain it any better lol.

Bottomline is, I just think using 1 thing to measure how good a QB is, doesn't tell the whole story. One thing I have learned from stats people is, they never factor in a QB's presence/leadership, fear factor, or clutch factor - those things do not show up on a stat sheet. It is just all about stats. I am even a stats guy to an extent, but I would take Joe Montana over Drew Brees all-time and that would be an easy decision but statistically by almost any measure, Brees was better. No matter how I explain things I doubt you will get my point, but I tried. 

He was starting to look like himself again against a good defense in the Seahawks. Was his 2nd half great? No, but Joe has always had quiet quarters. What matters is his ability to elevate the team around him. Let's see how he looks after a much needed bye week. 

@Nickster: who were you wanting the Colts to draft? Obviously not Richardson. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He was starting to look like himself again against a good defense in the Seahawks. Was his 2nd half great? No, but Joe has always had quiet quarters. What matters is his ability to elevate the team around him. Let's see how he looks after a much needed bye week. 

Let me ask you this, I know you will answer me honestly. Do you think Joe Burrow is a top 5 QB in the league? Do you think he is the 26th best QB in the league?

12 hours ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I think the Broncos have their 1st round pick in the next  years draft, last years 1st went to Seattle, but as of this week they’re projected to have the 3rd pick.

The Bears have the 1st and 2nd pick, right? They would be crazy not to trade away Justin Fields and draft Caleb Williams. The other pick, they will at least get a 2nd rounder out of Broncos. I am sure Eberflus will be gone, so will Justin Fields. 

17 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yes, I was impressed there. For the Bengals and him, the bye week came at the right time. One thing is for sure, the Bengals rarely get into shootouts in the 30s, they can thank Lou Anurumo for being that steady factor there. Plus, part of it is also Joe Burrow mastering the art of time consuming drives to control tempo, limit possessions for the other team and keep his D fresh, just my observation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let me ask you this, I know you will answer me honestly. Do you think Joe Burrow is a top 5 QB in the league? Do you think he is the 26th best QB in the league?

I'm biased as someone who grew up in a Bengals household. But yes. I trust in Burrow, even if he doesn't quite look like himself at the moment. 

I'm a macro, big picture kind of person. I see his overall body of work and he has the experience to back it up. If he was playing like this in his 2nd season then perhaps we'd be worried about him, but this isn't his first rodeo and he's shown to be clutch and a winner. 

I think it's way to early to crown Richardson as a bust or a great QB yet. I need two full seasons of him playing to see what he's got. But I don't think he's nearly as bad as some think he is, nor do I think he's as great as some think he is. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm biased as someone who grew up in a Bengals household. But yes. I trust in Burrow, even if he doesn't quite look like himself at the moment. 

I'm a macro, big picture kind of person. I see his overall body of work and he has the experience to back it up. If he was playing like this in his 2nd season then perhaps we'd be worried about him, but this isn't his first rodeo and he's shown to be clutch and a winner. 

I think it's way to early to crown Richardson as a bust or a great QB yet. I need two full seasons of him playing to see what he's got. But I don't think he's nearly as bad as some think he is, nor do I think he's as great as some think he is. 

Mainly, the people that did not want us to draft AR are coming up with everything imaginable to justify why we shouldn't have taken him. From the 4 games I have seen him play, he looked above average to me. My only worry is, can he stay healthy? 

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah, can you imagine folks giving up on Josh Allen and Joe Burrow when their injuries happened in Year 1, wondering if they will ever make that jump or stay healthy?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Stafford too and he won a SB in his 13th season whos your daddy dancing GIF

Delayed gratification but gratification nevertheless. Just that Stafford didn't stand a chance with the Lions. :) Not all successes follow the same script. We got used to Peyton not missing a game in years, then evolved/adapted to Luck with his on and off appearances as time went on, and then a Russian Roulette of QBs, and then AR in this Year 1. But for all the iron man longevity Peyton showed, our only SB still came in his Year 9. 

We understood AR was a raw prospect with his ebbs and flows, we were ready to withstand his passing inaccuracies or inefficiencies. Apparently, we fans weren't ready for his injuries/lack of availability. We have to give ourselves a period of reconciliation, relying on whatever ounce of positivity we might have left in our tank, to help us move forward to his Year 2. That is all I can say. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Actual NFL scouts and Execs have compared MHJ talent to the likes of Randy Moss. Calling him a generational talent . You dont get that type of praise being a Typical NFL WR. 

Colts will not be in position to draft MHJ even if they lose out, there will be a team or 2 ahead of them to take MHJ! I wouldn’t mind though if they were to draft that WR out of Washington, Odunze, at some point! Kid can create separation and can be a deep threat. Also, I don’t see the Colts going after Bowers with the current depth they already have. Ogletree, Granson, Mallory, and Woods are a good core. I do see them finally moving on from Mo though. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, can you imagine folks giving up on Josh Allen and Joe Burrow when their injuries happened in Year 1, wondering if they will ever make that jump or stay healthy?

I'm sure there are other QBs in history who had injuries their first year as well. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mainly, the people that did not want us to draft AR are coming with everything imaginable to justify why we shouldn't have taken him. From the 4 games I have seen him play, he looked above average to me. My only worry is, can he stay healthy? 

And only time can tell us that. For now, the Colts are committed to AR and their partnership is there at least through next season….. 

Anyone expecting the Colts to draft another QB is wasting their time. They have their guy. Now they need to get him a #1 WR and shore up the D backfield. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Colts will not be in position to draft MHJ even if they lose out, there will be a team or 2 ahead of them to take MHJ! I wouldn’t mind though if they were to draft that WR out of Washington, Odunze, at some point! Kid can create separation and can be a deep threat. Also, I don’t see the Colts going after Bowers with the current depth they already have. Ogletree, Granson, Mallory, and Woods are a good core. I do see them finally moving on from Mo though. 

At the end of the day, there is no guarantee Harrison will be the first player chosen. He may not even be the first WR to go.

Right now, there is a group of really great looking college receivers. And quite a few are ahead of MHJ statistically. 

I'm not saying he won't end up the top pick. But nearly everyone here is convinced he will be. Even if we don't land Harrison, several other big time receivers may be available if we pick low enough.

• Like 1

Well Dude I don't know what to tell you other than the QBR for Burrow seems to be a pretty good indicator of how he is playing.  Yeah, leadership yada yada yada.  Not to say it's not important, but Burrow is leading the WORST OFFENSE STATISTICALLY IN THE NFL.  In two of there three wins they scored less than 20 points per game and have only scored 3 TDS combined.

I guess he led the defense lol?

So I am not even clear on what you are arguing.  I guess OK QBR isn't everything.  You are shadow boxing on that because I've never that that it was everything.

But overall it's a good indicator of how a dude is playing.  Burrow is playing bad on terrible offense right now.  The QBR reflects that.  the fact that Burrow has a low QBR is a reflection of how QBR is effective at judging play overall not a reflection of how it's flawed the play of Joe Burrow.  

In the simplest terms, Cincy offense and Joe Burrow are not playing well right now as is indicated by the QBR of their QB.

19 hours ago, DougDew said:

Throughout the entire NFL?  I don't pay attention to stuff like that.   But Robert Mathis' game improved exponentially the year he was taking a supposedly benign fertility drug....and led the entire NFL in sacks that year. 

He never had as good of a year as the year he took the PEDs.  Then he retired. 

Are you saying that PEDs cannot be performing enhancing in Grover's case?  How did he perform in the 5 years? he didn't test positive for PEDs?  And is he surprising people with his play this year and a part of last year?

So, just a couple of points...Yes Mathis improved his game in 2013 and had the 19.5 sacks.  But for some context, 2012 was his first year playing in Pagano's new defense.  however he was playing Sam for most of 2012 because they still had Freeney and he was playing Rush.  Freeney didn't return for 2013 and Erik Walden was signed.  For the 2013 season, Walden played Sam and Mathis moved to Rush, a position many felt he was more suited for than RDE.  So yeah he had his best year in 2013 but it was also the only time he played Rush and started a full 16 games.  He missed most of 2014 due to the PED suspension and then a torn Achilles.

He didn't play as well in 2015 or 2016, but he also didn't play either season fully.  So, was it the PEDs that gave him that one big year or was it him being in his most natural position, and the reason he never had the same success was due to never being the same after the torn Achilles?

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

why is that obvious?  I'm not anti-Richardson.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

IF you were really interested in what I was thinking about AR and the other prospects, here's a history of what I said lol.

Here's what I said around the combine on March 10

You didn't ask me but I like Stroud and Levis.  I like Stroud's accuracy and Levis release. 

Young is a munchkin.  I have said a few times in threads here though that if there was a ever time a small guy like that could be good it's now with the QB friendly rules.

AR is an incredible athlete.  Other than the deep balls, he looked terribly in accurate throwing the FB against air at the combine. 

He could be a great runner that learns to throw accurately though.  

I've never watched Hooker play or throw, but from what I understand from reading he played in no read/1 read system and that always turns me off when translating to THE League.

But I don't have real strong opinions on any of these guys.  I gave up projecting college QB talent to the NFL over a decade ago lol.  Tough business. 

THIS was my quote about AR the day before he was drafted on april 27.  I don't watch much CFB.  I was unimpressed with his accuracy during the combine, but I'll spare you the quote. 

"Watching this vid Chugga.  Sure. Effortless.  But also.  Too high.  too low.  Behind the pass catcher. And short throws almost never in stride so that the receiver can get YACS.

From the film I've seen and the combine session, I can't believe this kid is near the conversation of a top 5 pick.

Not saying he won't be good with the athleticism and he seems like a smart kid and quick processer I guess fromt he S2 test.

But good lord he's an erratic thrower of the football right now.

He's kinda like Ebby Nuke Laloosh.  Great velocity, horrible accuracy.

Maybe he'll wear some Women's lingerie and get accurate. 

I am very skeptical of this kid being a NFL caliber thrower of the football.  Something drastic has to change for that to the case.  But the talent package is there no doubt. "

Here's what I said the day after he was drafted April 28

Steichen probably sees an even more explosive version of Hurts. 

Hurts played 4 years of CFB and was a much more polished passer with actual success in college.  I get that.

I don't know how it will play out, but I really think CB and SS think they can develop this guy into a stud.  I think they probably think the guy is too good to pass up.

I have serious doubts about the kid as an accurate enough passer of the football at the NFL level, but he's still 20.  Football has changed dramatically.  Hurts is a run first QB and just put up 35 in the the big bowl.  It's a reality.  It's different.

But AR will be perdy good Day 1 running the mesh with JT if we get minimally competent line play.  I don't think he will start right away, but I expect to see him taking some snaps in Game 1.

Don't know Doug.  I'd really like to see us go for Levis or Hooker in R2.  I think we could likely convert a pick like that into a nice draft pick in year or two when we are really ready to compete and have a better handle on where our needs are going to be when and if AR is ready to be a good QB.  Will the austrian work out at LT?  Will our young Pass catchers develop?  will our Dline with all the investment improve?  Lots of unanswered questions that will also take a year or two to judge.  

There will likely be even more QB desperate teams next season than this season IMO. 

On 10/17/2023 at 5:48 AM, DougDew said:

We will be staring JT, so our run game will go back to running into the pile for a 1 yard gain.   Since JT will surpass Moss as the starter because of contract, we'll probably go 3 and 8.

I think that TE Brock Bowers will get open more often in the NFL than MJH jr.

Agreed. Bill Walsh always said that wr is the last position you draft in building a team.  I think this team might be lucky to win 2 games moving forward. It is going to be tough . The Oline is going to face loaded boxes. It is basically going to be on Minshew to win games and I don't have a lot of faith in him as a starter. Plus, the wr talent on this team is very average except for Downs who has shown some big play ability.

32 minutes ago, Nickster said:

IF you were really interested in what I was thinking about AR and the other prospects, here's a history of what I said lol.

Here's what I said around the combine on March 10

You didn't ask me but I like Stroud and Levis.  I like Stroud's accuracy and Levis release. 

Young is a munchkin.  I have said a few times in threads here though that if there was a ever time a small guy like that could be good it's now with the QB friendly rules.

AR is an incredible athlete.  Other than the deep balls, he looked terribly in accurate throwing the FB against air at the combine. 

He could be a great runner that learns to throw accurately though.  

I've never watched Hooker play or throw, but from what I understand from reading he played in no read/1 read system and that always turns me off when translating to THE League.

But I don't have real strong opinions on any of these guys.  I gave up projecting college QB talent to the NFL over a decade ago lol.  Tough business. 

THIS was my quote about AR the day before he was drafted on april 27.  I don't watch much CFB.  I was unimpressed with his accuracy during the combine, but I'll spare you the quote. 

"Watching this vid Chugga.  Sure. Effortless.  But also.  Too high.  too low.  Behind the pass catcher. And short throws almost never in stride so that the receiver can get YACS.

From the film I've seen and the combine session, I can't believe this kid is near the conversation of a top 5 pick.

Not saying he won't be good with the athleticism and he seems like a smart kid and quick processer I guess fromt he S2 test.

But good lord he's an erratic thrower of the football right now.

He's kinda like Ebby Nuke Laloosh.  Great velocity, horrible accuracy.

Maybe he'll wear some Women's lingerie and get accurate. 

I am very skeptical of this kid being a NFL caliber thrower of the football.  Something drastic has to change for that to the case.  But the talent package is there no doubt. "

Here's what I said the day after he was drafted April 28

Steichen probably sees an even more explosive version of Hurts. 

Hurts played 4 years of CFB and was a much more polished passer with actual success in college.  I get that.

I don't know how it will play out, but I really think CB and SS think they can develop this guy into a stud.  I think they probably think the guy is too good to pass up.

I have serious doubts about the kid as an accurate enough passer of the football at the NFL level, but he's still 20.  Football has changed dramatically.  Hurts is a run first QB and just put up 35 in the the big bowl.  It's a reality.  It's different.

But AR will be perdy good Day 1 running the mesh with JT if we get minimally competent line play.  I don't think he will start right away, but I expect to see him taking some snaps in Game 1.

Don't know Doug.  I'd really like to see us go for Levis or Hooker in R2.  I think we could likely convert a pick like that into a nice draft pick in year or two when we are really ready to compete and have a better handle on where our needs are going to be when and if AR is ready to be a good QB.  Will the austrian work out at LT?  Will our young Pass catchers develop?  will our Dline with all the investment improve?  Lots of unanswered questions that will also take a year or two to judge.  

There will likely be even more QB desperate teams next season than this season IMO. 

Fair enough. I think he has the ability to be an NFL QB throwing-wise. Time will tell. 

For the good of the jury, I actually wanted Stroud but knew we weren't going to get him. 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Fair enough. I think he has the ability to be an NFL QB throwing-wise. Time will tell. 

For the good of the jury, I actually wanted Stroud but knew we weren't going to get him. 

The only way we would have gotten him is by giving up a future 1st to the Bears AND a key player like the Panthers gave up D J Moore. We weren't going to part with the 1 good WR we had in Pittman and everyone's consensus was there are no stand out QB candidates in this group with everyone having flaws that it wouldn't be the draft to move up. Texans weren't trading with us, period.

Who knows, Stroud is looking very good right now but in a couple of years, Bryce Young may prove folks wrong or AR may prove folks wrong. It is not a co-incidence that even Zach Wilson, yeah I said his name :), is doing well "enough" in Year 3. 

Bottom line, we need to give 3 years for any of these young QBs with stability of offensive system and opportunity to learn and show they can be productive at a high level. If by Year 3, they aren't making you a division contender, it is time to look in a different direction.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The only way we would have gotten him is by giving up a future 1st to the Bears AND a key player like the Panthers gave up D J Moore. We weren't going to part with the 1 good WR we had in Pittman and everyone's consensus was there are no stand out QB candidates in this group with everyone having flaws that it wouldn't be the draft to move up. Texans weren't trading with us, period.

Who knows, Stroud is looking very good right now but in a couple of years, Bryce Young may prove folks wrong or AR may prove folks wrong. It is not a co-incidence that even Zach Wilson, yeah I said his name :), is doing well "enough" in Year 3. 

Bottom line, we need to give 3 years for any of these young QBs with stability of offensive system and opportunity to learn and show they can be productive at a high level. If by Year 3, they aren't making you a division contender, it is time to look in a different direction.

Or we could've just lost that stupid tie game to the Texans at the start of last year... And the Denver game... 

We honestly should've been picking first with how bad we were. Bears were just ridiculous... 

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed. Bill Walsh always said that wr is the last position you draft in building a team.  I think this team might be lucky to win 2 games moving forward. It is going to be tough . The Oline is going to face loaded boxes. It is basically going to be on Minshew to win games and I don't have a lot of faith in him as a starter. Plus, the wr talent on this team is very average except for Downs who has shown some big play ability.

Bill Walsh also coached in a very, very different era.  I wonder if he'd feel the same way if he were coaching in today's NFL

• Like 1

Let's be honest here folks!!

Following the draft - the majority of us thought the Colts would end up with a top 10 pick - and - that hasn't changed.

So stop wringing your hands over the bad luck we've had thus far this season - and - stand behind OUR TEAM for the remainder of the year.

Maybe we end up with a high enough draft pick to select Marvin Harrison Jr??

45 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don't think that AR is ever going to be an accurate enough thrower without the designed runs, scrambles, roll/sprint outs.

But I've also said that that might not be necessary any more with the running QB.  Like over and over, I've said AR might work out running with JT (even though that didn't make any differnce.)