Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sources Colts have called about Jerry Jeudy

Restinpeacesweetchloe

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's average of top 5 salaries over the last 5 years then some other math.

Tagged players really do get screwed then.   Salaries 5 years old don’t seem all that relevant to me.  Wonder if the union will stand against it next CB.  It only effects a handful of players, but it is certainly not in those few player’s’ interest.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Tagged players really do get screwed then.   Salaries 5 years old don’t seem all that relevant to me.  Wonder if the union will stand against it next CB.  It only effects a handful of players, but it is certainly not in those few player’s’ interest.

I expect the tag to be a big issue in the next contract. When the dust settles, I’m guessing that teams will only be able to tag a player once. 

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I expect the tag to be a big issue in the next contract. When the dust settles, I’m guessing that teams will only be able to tag a player once. 

Yeah I’m not necessary a big union guy.  I belong to one but don’t agree with everything.

But the tag deal sacrifices a few guys each year put doesn’t negatively effect anyone else.  

I don’t really usually deal much in fair/unfair these days.

BUT this tag thing seems pretty unfair for the guys who get tagged against management AND other union members.

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think tagged players get paid pretty well.

$23m for WR is the 13th highest paid wr next year currently. That's before restructures, trades and cuts happen.

So probably will end up being in the top 10 and is all guaranteed. Of course players are going to want more long term security, but they have an option come to that agreement if they want and are willing to accept what the team is offering.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2024/cap-hit/wide-receiver/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-rumors-jerry-jeudy-hunter-renfrow-broncos-chiefs-raiders/

Partial quote from link above:

"Jeremy Fowler  talked with multiple executives that said they couldn't justify a 2nd round pick for Jeudy now.

Late 3rd value might suffice."

So what's that potentially look like?

Jeudy + 4th for 3rd

I could see Ballard doing that.  

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Could you be so kind as to search for the top nfl wr list for 2023, and give us your head count regarding how many sure fire #1 wr's there are in the NFL.

I put the number about 11-12. 

Like you I want one.

Devante Adam's is extremely good.

Check his numbers for his first 4 seasons with Roger's.

Match a "true #1" with a true #1 QB and your path to  the playoffs, and perhaps a Conference Championship game is more likely. 

What we desperately need is a really good TE to attack the middle of the zone. Pierce and Pittman's stories are still unwritten.

I think our tes are enough to do that but sometimes  we simply  don't  use them in the passing  game 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w87r said:

$23m for WR is the 13th highest paid wr next year currently. That's before restructures, trades and cuts happen.

So probably will end up being in the top 10 and is all guaranteed. Of course players are going to want more long term security, but they have an option come to that agreement if they want and are willing to accept what the team is offering.

But if you are among the best 5 WRs for instance , I think you deserve to have a chance to be paid like that.  I don’t think it even makes since that a player can be held back for two years in getting a greater share of guaranteed money just because the team doesn’t want to give the money.  Another player with  another club who isn’t as good can get more if his team tags someone else or doesn’t tag anyone.

I understand why a guy would be * when tagged.  I personally if I were a player would be willing to strike against that rule and I’m not the biggest union guy out there.

It’s unfair IMO because it applies differently to players.  Tagged players that are worth more on the open market are treated differently than non tagged players. That is unlucky. It has nothing to do with dollar amounts to me.  1 mill  is a lot of money to play  Sports to me.

Technically, yes it is part of the rookie contract but it is a weird rule that as far as I know no other sport has.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

But if you are among the best 5 WRs for instance , I think you deserve to have a chance to be paid like that.  I don’t think it even makes since that a player can be held back for two years in getting a greater share of guaranteed money just because the team doesn’t want to give the money.  Another player with  another club who isn’t as good can get more if his team tags someone else or doesn’t tag anyone.

I understand why a guy would be * when tagged.  I personally if I were a player would be willing to strike against that rule and I’m not the biggest union guy out there.

It’s unfair IMO because it applies differently to players.  Tagged players that are worth more on the open market are treated differently than non tagged players. That is unlucky. It has nothing to do with dollar amounts to me.  1 mill  is a lot of money to play  Sports to me.

Technically, yes it is part of the rookie contract but it is a weird rule that as far as I know no other sport has.

From an article:

”Between 2015 and 2019, there was an average of just 6.2 total players across the league tagged per season. Since then, NFL teams have averaged 11 franchise tags per offseason, including 15 used in 2020 across the league.”

So if I’m not a player that is likely to be tagged (which is 99% of players), why would I strike over that?  Also, seems most players that get tagged end up getting long, term deals.  Have no numbers on that as didn’t bother to research but I feel fairly confident that’s the case.

6 minutes ago, Nate! said:

From an article:

”Between 2015 and 2019, there was an average of just 6.2 total players across the league tagged per season. Since then, NFL teams have averaged 11 franchise tags per offseason, including 15 used in 2020 across the league.”

So if I’m not a player that is likely to be tagged (which is 99% of players), why would I strike over that?  Also, seems most players that get tagged end up getting long, term deals.  Have no numbers on that as didn’t bother to research but I feel fairly confident that’s the case.

Well that’s kind of the point of a union isn’t it?  

This year there are six tags and 3 already have deals.

8 hours ago, w87r said:

And according to wiki an exclusive franchise tag would be an average of the top five salaries for April of that year.  I’m sure you knew that @throwing BBZ lol.  This would mean a player must take that contract or sit out basically.  

There is quite a bit of difference there.  Does spotrac have a number for that? That number would be around 27.

it’s the non exclusive tag that is an average of 5 years.  What that means is that player can try to find a deal with other clubs but the team gets a chance to match.

IS wiki wring or is that how you understand it?

EDIT: Just saw that the non exclusive comes with 2 draft picks if another team signs and the home club doesn’t match lol.  So basically the non exclusive is iron clad.  

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And according to wiki an exclusive franchise tag would be an average of the top five salaries for April of that year.  I’m sure you knew that @throwing BBZ lol.  This would mean a player must take that contract or sit out basically.  

There is quite a bit of difference there.  Does spotrac have a number for that? That number would be around 27.

it’s the non exclusive tag that is an average of 5 years.  What that means is that player can try to find a deal with other clubs but the team gets a chance to match.

EDIT: Just saw that the non exclusive comes with 2 draft picks if another team signs and the home club doesn’t match lol.  So basically the non exclusive is iron clad.  

The union would have to give up a lot to get rid of the tag.   They won't .  It effects very few players

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The union would have to give up a lot to get rid of the tag.   They won't .  It effects very few players

It’s a bad deal for those few guys.  

I did some reading on the tag. It was supposed to be temporary for the transition to free agency starting in 1993.  

It’s in the media a lot these days and the NFL doesn’t like bad pub.  They might feel screwing 5-6 guys a year isn’t with the negativity.  If the minions in the sports media started honing in on this like they did some other things, I’d bet it would get changed.

And although I haven’t liked some of the bullying the Sports Media Minions have precipitated, I would like to see this changed.

It screws a few players and doesn’t save much. It screws greatness and excellence and that is often a union drawback IMO.

Excellence should be rewarded.  With the tag, the exact opposite happens.  Excellence is punished for the guys that get tagged.

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

The last time an Exclusive Franchise Tag was used was on Dak Prescott in 2021 + 2020 and before that was LeVeon Bell in 2018 + 2017 and Kirk Cousins in 2017.

It's rarely used, probably why the league doesn't even announce those numbers. Just calculate them when it is used 

If Pittman were to get tagged it wouldn't be an Exclusive Franchise Tag.

And yeah, last time a non exclusive changed teams was Joey Galloway in 2000. At least where two 1st was given up and went through the offer sheet process. 

There have been a few where a trade was worked out without going through the offer sheet process, since.(Ngakoue, Clowney, Frank Clark, Dee Ford, Jarvis Landry too name a few)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

The last time an Exclusive Franchise Tag was used was on Dak Prescott in 2021 + 2020 and before that was LeVeon Bell in 2018 + 2017 and Kirk Cousins in 2017.

It's rarely used, probably why the league doesn't even announce those numbers. Just calculate them when it is used 

If Pittman were to get tagged it wouldn't be an Exclusive Franchise Tag.

And yeah, last time a non exclusive changed teams was Joey Galloway in 2000. At least where two 1st was given up and went through the offer sheet process. 

There have been a few where a trade was worked out without going through the offer sheet process, since.(Ngakoue, Clowney, Frank Clark, Dee Ford, Jarvis Landry too name a few)

I never really paid attention to tagging.  I’ve changed some paradigms as I’ve gotten older.  I used to be pert near offended lol when a dude would turn down millions. But, I’ve backed off of that some.

It’s just a really bad deal for the excellent players who end up getting less than market value, risking their future earnings with every snap, while guys that aren’t as valuable get the guaranteed cash.  

And as of now the only 3 players that it’s actually being used in is RBs which is the most punishing position in the league with the shortest shelf lives.

It’s obviously unfair to these individuals IMO.  I hope they get rid of it.  I’d almost be willing to bet it will be gone soon.  The media is hyping it and they are very powerful lately in shaping and dictating many things in sports these days.

I dislike when excellence is punished. Happens a lot in society, especially in collectively bargained situations.

23 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I never really paid attention to tagging.  I’ve changed some paradigms as I’ve gotten older.  I used to be pert near offended lol when a dude would turn down millions. But, I’ve backed off of that some.

It’s just a really bad deal for the excellent players who end up getting less than market value, risking their future earnings with every snap, while guys that aren’t as valuable get the guaranteed cash.  

And as of now the only 3 players that it’s actually being used in is RBs which is the most punishing position in the league with the shortest shelf lives.

It’s obviously unfair to these individuals IMO.  I hope they get rid of it.  I’d almost be willing to bet it will be gone soon.  The media is hyping it and they are very powerful lately in shaping and dictating many things in sports these days.

I dislike when excellence is punished. Happens a lot in society, especially in collectively bargained situations.

Oh boo hoo. These guys make millions. Let’s not act like it is the same as the guy or gal on the Ford assembly line making 19 bucks an hour for the last 15 years with inflation at 20 percent year over year. 

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh boo hoo. These guys make millions. Let’s not act like it is the same as the guy or gal on the Ford assembly line making 19 bucks an hour for the last 15 years with inflation at 20 percent year over year. 

I hear you but I just completely disagree.  Guys should get paid what they are worth.

On 10/20/2023 at 9:36 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

When Ballard can prove himself to be a winning GM, then the hate will stop. He has a losing record, hasn't won a playoff game since 2018, and took until this year to finally draft a franchise QB (that may or may not hit, not a guarantee yet). Maybe if he was more aggressive in building the team in FA and trades people would feel different, but besides drafting Richardson (who we won't see until next year and a somewhat better overall team (which took 7 years), we're not that much closer to winning anything since Ballard became the GM while many other teams have drafted their franchise QB and are contenders year in and year out). 

There's a Ballard grievances thread for all you haters. I suspect that is why they put it there. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I hear you but I just completely disagree.  Guys should get paid what they are worth.

Most do.   A few get tagged.  The union isn't going to give into what the league will want in return to get rid of the tag.  I think it sucks for some of those guys as well. There are usually underlying reasons those guys get tagged as opposed to extended.  

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Stick a fork in that trade rumor.

Funny thing about it is... From what I saw, after Jeudy caught the pass, and was running, he looked like he started to show off by "high stepping", then it appeared he pulled something and he fell to the ground in pain

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Funny thing about it is... From what I saw, after Jeudy caught the pass, and was running, he looked like he started to show off by "high stepping", then it appeared he pulled something and he fell to the ground in pain

Definitely did.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good grief.  We just can’t catch a break.

There's more options out there if we want.

Or I guess it may lower his asking price?

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like the defender hit him in the privates.  Did he go back in?

No, but it was with 5 minutes to go. Kicked FG 3 plays later, then ran the clock out when they got the ball back with 1:40 to go.

• Thanks 1

Big ups for Josh Downs. Kid is emerging, and showing why Reggie was so hyped on him after the draft. 

Having a WR the defense actually has to cover other than Pittman helped open things up for Pierce as well. 

We’ve spent a ton of draft capital on this position in the last 3 years. We need these guys here to produce more like this every Sunday. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think there is a good chance it’s nothing serious.

Watching it live on tv, it looked like he pulled a muscle. The video on youtube was from a different angle than was shown live, and from that view, you can see the GB player punch him down south.

After the injury time out (commercial break) the camera did show Jeudy standing on the sidelines, taking a drink. He looked ok.

I would say he's fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Still seems like a bonehead move, to do that "high step" act, on a ten yard reception, while his team is loosing.

I guess but he’s had a rough start to the season on a bad team that is struggling.  I would guess it’s his best play of the season and he was excited and he wanted to celebrate.  I got a kick out of it actually.  He would be a colorful addition no doubt.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I guess but he’s had a rough start to the season on a bad team that is struggling.  I would guess it’s his best play of the season and he was excited and he wanted to celebrate.  I got a kick out of it actually.  He would be a colorful addition no doubt.

If that was his best play of the season, then maybe the Colts should reconsider? lol