Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just really hope Ballard isn’t playing hardball. You don’t have leverage in this situation. Taylor is still injured and has to be extended. IMO get a pick that you can use to draft another RB with next year (so a 2024 2nd or 3rd round pick) and another day 2 pick. Asking for anything more would be insane.

Don’t think it’s a matter of Ballard playing hardball. I think the Colts geniunely don’t want to trade JT, but if a team gives an offer they can’t refuse.. well then..

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just really hope Ballard isn’t playing hardball. You don’t have leverage in this situation. Taylor is still injured and has to be extended. IMO get a pick that you can use to draft another RB with next year (so a 2024 2nd or 3rd round pick) and another day 2 pick. Asking for anything more would be insane.

This isn’t Ballard playing hardball.   This is also as much about what Ursay wants as well.   His voice is the most important.  

Also, to the best of my knowledge, there are no reports of any team offering two day 2 picks which appears to be what you want.

Last thought….  Do you really want to use a day 2 pick to replace Taylor?   Why?  Why risk another unsatisfied running back with a premium pick?   My hunch is the Colts will use maybe a R4 pick on RBs in the future.    

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Last thought….  Do you really want to use a day 2 pick to replace Taylor?   Why?  Why risk another unsatisfied running back with a premium pick?   My hunch is the Colts will use maybe a R4 pick on RBs in the future.    

I don't have any problem with riding a RB for 3-4 years and replacing them with staggered draft picks. I don't think it matters whether the back is drafted in the 2nd or the 4th round, if he feels he's outplayed his contract by the end of Year 3, he'll be asking for a new contract. If you get four good years out of any Day 2 pick, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

And I think the Colts would be fine with that if not for the changes and uncertainty with the Colts and Taylor this year. New coach, Taylor's injury, those things really affect the decision about doing a new contract for Taylor right now. If he had been eligible after 2021, I think the Colts would have extended him pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think the state of the RB position increases the likelihood of teams using 1st or second day picks on RBs.  Since no one wants to bet the salary cap on elite RBs, get them in the draft and use them up on their rookie contracts…

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Honestly, I think the state of the RB position increases the likelihood of teams using 1st or second day picks on RBs.  Since no one wants to bet the salary cap on elite RBs, get them in the draft and use them up on their rookie contracts…

Biggest risk, though, is the union getting involved and changing the rules in the next few years…

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

Oh, I think the league knows he’s healthy…

Yet we have other “insiders” saying he’s not.  My point is be careful what you trust right now because I think there is a lot of throwing things at the wall and see what sticks going on. 

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Hmmm, interesting point… you might be on to something.

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yep, he shouldn’t be on PUP, but on MUP - Mentally Unable to Perform! haha:facepalm:

Ha Ha. I wonder, if he's not really hurt, but is pretending he is, to better his contract situation, then shouldn't the Colts be afraid to sign him to a long term extension? since then, who knows what crap he may pull down the road?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Ha Ha. I wonder, if he's not really hurt, but is pretending he is, to better his contract situation, then shouldn't the Colts be afraid to sign him to a long term extension? since then, who knows what crap he may pull down the road?

Personably a big reason colts wanted to wait. This was such a bad move to make to use a injury as a hold in.  That’s the big reason it has gotten this nasty.

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yet we have other “insiders” saying he’s not.  My point is be careful what you trust right now because I think there is a lot of throwing things at the wall and see what sticks going on. 

Take what these insiders are saying with a grain of salt because my guess they are getting that info from Taylor’s agent. There is too much poor Taylor with them.

Listened to his podcast and this is a summary. He basically said that it sounds like Holder is working for the agent. He is pretty tuned into the league and he said it is very quiet and does not expect anything. He said that nobody wants your problem. He did not play all that well last year, he is not a great pass blocker,  he fumbled last year, he's s presenting himself as a   malcontent this , he was rated the 24 rated RB last year, but he does run the ball well.  He says that the agent is out there putting it out there that there is   is a lot of interest and he is trying to force Ballard into making a trade. He said what team is going to reward a player like Taylor and give up draft capital and make him the highest paid RB?  He feels that a trade would have been done by now and said that he feels that he will remain on the PUP and the Colts will continue to move  forward. They will either get more backs or that back is on the roster. U can go to GM Shuffle and listen to the whole podcast.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If Dolphins offered this would you accept

Conditional 2nd

Becomes 1st if Miami makes playoffs

2025 5th 

Probably, but I’m currently unreasonably hooked on the idea of us getting Robert Hunt in this trade and I REALLY want that to happen. haha

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't have any problem with riding a RB for 3-4 years and replacing them with staggered draft picks. I don't think it matters whether the back is drafted in the 2nd or the 4th round, if he feels he's outplayed his contract by the end of Year 3, he'll be asking for a new contract. If you get four good years out of any Day 2 pick, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

And I think the Colts would be fine with that if not for the changes and uncertainty with the Colts and Taylor this year. New coach, Taylor's injury, those things really affect the decision about doing a new contract for Taylor right now. If he had been eligible after 2021, I think the Colts would have extended him pretty quickly.

It appears that the league is heading this way with RBs

I will reiterate that my first and preferred option is to resign JT

But......

Lets be honest

MANY if not MOST, RBs start to decline in their 5th or 6th year, especially if they have had many carries

Counting College, JT has been used much. At some point, the constant wear and tear slows down the RB

IMHO, JT is an amazing talent that may be at his peak for the next two years, possibly more

He could be that talent that takes a good team, to the superbowl.

The Colts arent going to the SB this year and probably next.

A case could be made, if we could get a very high pick(or picks)  for JT, it might help us get some needed stars so when AR is starting to peak, we can win..... then.

It will be interesting to see what happens

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Listened to his podcast and this is a summary. He basically said that it sounds like Holder is working for the agent. He is pretty tuned into the league and he said it is very quiet and does not expect anything. He said that nobody wants your problem. He did not play all that well last year, he is not a great pass blocker,  he fumbled last year, he's s presenting himself as a   malcontent this , he was rated the 24 rated RB last year, but he does run the ball well.  He says that the agent is out there putting it out there that there is   is a lot of interest and he is trying to force Ballard into making a trade. He said what team is going to reward a player like Taylor and give up draft capital and make him the highest paid RB?  He feels that a trade would have been done by now and said that he feels that he will remain on the PUP and the Colts will continue to move  forward. They will either get more backs or that back is on the roster. U can go to GM Shuffle and listen to the whole podcast.

I actually agree. Holder, Destin Adams, king of colts all sound like they are getting info from his agent.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Probably, but I’m currently unreasonably hooked on the idea of us getting Robert Hunt in this trade and I REALLY want that to happen. haha

Me too dude..... Me too

We are thin as can be on the OL. We are heading into the season with a recently converted OT as our RG

I would take Robert Hunt and a 2nd for JT all day, every day

Be careful, you will get laughed at for holding this position :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Me too dude..... Me too

We are thin as can be on the OL. We are heading into the season with a recently converted OT as our RG

If Colts got Hunt Dolphins would only send day 3 pick with him like 5th or 6th

Their OL has been rough for years so they wont give him up with top pick too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Me too dude..... Me too

I mean, I’m on record saying I’d take Hunt for JT straight up. haha

IOL is a much bigger need than RB this year in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I mean, I’m on record saying I’d take Hunt for JT straight up. haha

IOL is a much bigger need than RB this year in my opinion. 

Now I am going to laugh at YOU   :)

LOL

I think we at least need a decent pick for JT as well as Hunt

• Shive changed the title to Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)
33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I actually agree. Holder, Destin Adams, king of colts all sound like they are getting info from his agent.

If Holder is getting info from the agent — GOOD!!    It’s about time this site gets another voice.   I’d say opinion here is better than 95 percent against Taylor and 99 percent against the agent.   

Another perspective is needed.   Hopefully this sad event is over in about 24 hours one way or another. 

34 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

What trade would you all like from Eagles realistically

They just late their back walk for like 6 million a year and u think they are going to trade for Taylor and give him north of 19 mill a year? Saunders was a better fit for their offence is than Taylor would be!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me.   Why would you use a precious Day 2 pick with the idea that you’d be happy getting 4 good years?    To me,  that is a spectacular waste of a premium asset.   

If a team in theory would like 10 years from their first round pick if possible, they’d also like 8 years for a R2 player and 6 years for a R3.  Longevity has value as we’re finding out the hard way right now.   You have to get some bang for your buck.  Keeping a player roughly 4 years is fine with Day 3 picks, but not with Day 2 players.  

I don’t understand this line of thinking at all…. I’m as confused as can be.   Sorry.  

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Teams will just move on if RB's try this. Colts in some ways have to take a stand and I think Irsay and Ballard know this. They bend and then every RB could try this. They stand pat and teams will stand pat and give the Colts a pat on the back. They cannot start a trend and as you have seen, Irsay is a staunch supporter of the collective bargaining agreement.

• Like 1