Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. I don’t like the way the Colts did this. The Colts can communicate what JT is seeking in a contract when making trade negotiations. If JT gets other teams to make him an offer even if the Colts don’t like their trade compensation it’s going to make the Colts look poor if they don’t want to pay what the player has already demonstrated his market value is. Again..not saying they have to…but how this reflects to other players and agents and how teams will use it against us can matter. Especially when it looks like we won’t pay our star player.

I don't know if we're saying the same thing. I believe the Colts are only allowing teams to negotiate with Taylor if those teams have acceptable trade offers on the table already. That way, if Taylor gets a contract offer he's willing to accept, the Colts now get to decide if they'll just trade Taylor, or if they'll offer to match/beat the offer he's received. Either way, the Colts would be in the driver's seat, and come out in reasonably good shape.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know if we're saying the same thing. I believe the Colts are only allowing teams to negotiate with Taylor if those teams have acceptable trade offers on the table already. That way, if Taylor gets a contract offer he's willing to accept, the Colts now get to decide if they'll just trade Taylor, or if they'll offer to match/beat the offer he's received. Either way, the Colts would be in the driver's seat, and come out in reasonably good shape.

Gotcha. I was unaware of this. I didn’t like that they just let him go out on his own and seek a trade with any team. If they have already agreed on compensation first and now he can negotiate a salary that is different and I would be on board with that. If they just let him go shopping first I am saying I don’t like how this is being handled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

The problem is you have a team moving a stud player because of his unhappiness, which would be made worse by the above.  So yes he has team control.  But no team that trades for him will do so blindly, they will require his representation to agree in principle to at least a rough range and framework of a deal.

What this means is that he will very much affect where the Colts move him.  There may be some teams he refuses to come to any agreement with.  There may be some others he wants badly to join and will more easily agree to terms with.

As to his deal nobody is going to pay him above market.  Last team to do that was the Rams with Gurley and they got burned big time.  But what they will do is give his team a reality check, and once he realizes the ballpark range he's looking at it will be about getting him as much up front as possible so it'll be all about the bonus.

He will be happy to be anywhere else. 

The Colts are not going to take a lesser package for him from a the team that offers most $$ and least draft capital. That actually gives the Colts more leverage on the draft capital side of it. Shows the team REALLY wants Taylor. Well, pay up then, again. They will take highest package, that meets their standards, and move on. If he is moved at all.

He realizes he played this all wrong(injury angle). Now he needs to prove himself for the big pay day, he knows this too. He will get some extension offers, doubt anywhere near what he wants. He will then need to decide if he wants to take that offer or play the season out in hopes of landing bigger extension next year. Right now though just seems like he would be happy to get out of town. 

Colts are only concerned about potential compensation not his extension, unless of course it comes back at a number they would be willing to beat and he would accept.

Just think that this talk about him forcing his way to a team is overblown a little.

Clock is ticking. Should all be resolved by the end of the weekend I think. Either way.

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

He will be happy to be anywhere else. 

The Colts are not going to take a lesser package for him from a the team that offers most $$ and least draft capital. That actually gives the Colts more leverage on the draft capital side of it. Shows the team REALLY wants Taylor. Well, pay up then, again. They will take highest package, that meets their standards, and move on. If he is moved at all.

He realizes he played this all wrong(injury angle). Now he needs to prove himself for the big pay day, he knows this too. He will get some extension offers, doubt anywhere near what he wants. He will then need to decide if he wants to take that offer or play the season out in hopes of landing bigger extension next year. Right now though just seems like he would be happy to get out of town. 

Colts are only concerned about potential compensation not his extension, unless of course it comes back at a number they would be willing to beat and he would accept.

Just think that this talk about him forcing his way to a team is overblown a little.

Clock is ticking. Should all be resolved by the end of the weekend I think. Either way.

Yes…would think Aug 29th is a major date to figure this all out with players on PUP would have to miss the first 4 games.

19 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

See below. 

I agree and understand the Colts are in a good position. I’m not trying to question any of that. But the Colts could have done all of what you are saying without ever giving JT to seek a trade, no? They could have called teams or otherwise let it be know that they would entertain trade proposals. This would more less be how the Buckner trade played out.

It feels like they decided it was best to let JT seek a trade and begin negotiating contract demands with teams so he could gauge his market. And if there was a market, teams could start making offers to the Colts to meet their demands. So while the principle is essentially the same as the Buckner trade, it is different in that JT has to be allowed to at least begin contract negotiations with other teams prior.

I like the strategy of letting JT and his agent do the work.  The Colts just sit back and wait for the calls and sure enough they came.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Here's what he found...

• One AFC exec said he’d ballpark it at a third- and a fifth-round pick.
  • Another AFC exec said a third- or fourth-rounder.
  • An NFC exec said he’d consider a package carrying the value of a second- or third-rounder.
  • A second NFC exec said he’d put the value at a fourth-rounder with play-time triggers to make it a third.
  • A third NFC exec said a second- or third-rounder (“Less than [Christian] McCaffrey,” he added).
  • A fourth NFC exec said “maybe” a Day 2 pick.
  • A third AFC exec said a third-rounder.
  • A fifth NFC exec said “possibly” a Day 2 pick, and a fourth AFC exec said a second-rounder.
  • And an AFC GM also pegged it at a second-rounder.

It seems to settle on a third rounder.  So based on this, my sarcastic? value of two 5th rounders is not THAT out of line.  

And then we'll see what happens as the Colts head towards the trade deadline.

58 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

See below. 

I agree and understand the Colts are in a good position. I’m not trying to question any of that. But the Colts could have done all of what you are saying without ever giving JT to seek a trade, no? They could have called teams or otherwise let it be know that they would entertain trade proposals. This would more less be how the Buckner trade played out.

It feels like they decided it was best to let JT seek a trade and begin negotiating contract demands with teams so he could gauge his market. And if there was a market, teams could start making offers to the Colts to meet their demands. So while the principle is essentially the same as the Buckner trade, it is different in that JT has to be allowed to at least begin contract negotiations with other teams prior.

Yes but by doing it this way, the teams talk directly to JT and his agent, not thru the Colts. Therefore, JT nor his agent can say the colts aren’t telling them the truth. In this manner, JT gets to hear directly what his worth is

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes…would think Aug 29th is a major date to figure this all out with players on PUP would have to miss the first 4 games.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You only take a physical after a trade has been agreed upon. You can’t just make up a trade, force the player to take a physical, then pull the offer. 

The Colts know Taylor’s health status. The guise that he is hurt is just PR so as to avoid the optics of a player holding out or the Colts supposedly forcing a guy that says he is hurt to practice on it.

Actually, no. It’s required by league rules. Yea, the offer must be legitimate and yes he has

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Gotcha. I was unaware of this. I didn’t like that they just let him go out on his own and seek a trade with any team. If they have already agreed on compensation first and now he can negotiate a salary that is different and I would be on board with that. If they just let him go shopping first I am saying I don’t like how this is being handled.

Yeah, now we're saying the same thing. Especially the bolded.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes but by doing it this way, the teams talk directly to JT and his agent, not thru the Colts. Therefore, JT nor his agent can say the colts aren’t telling them the truth. In this manner, JT gets to hear directly what his worth is

Says 4 here.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-pup-list-2023/#

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Actually, no. It’s required by league rules. Yea, the offer must be legitimate and yes he has

I’ll take your word for it. Seems weird as guys fail physicals all the time and it voids the trade and they are sent back. Never heard of passing the physical and then taking back the player.

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

anything new guys?

Down here in south Florida the local guys say there is definitely interest…but a lot of pieces have to line up…ultimately however they don’t think they will meet Colts or JTs demands…not unless there isn’t some movement from those sides.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Says 4 here.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-pup-list-2023/#

I’ll take your word for it. Seems weird as guys fail physicals all the time and it voids the trade and they are sent back. Never heard of passing the physical and then taking back the player.

The trade is dependent on him passing the physical.   If he passes I don't think the Colts can then call the trade off.  If he passes he will go to the new team

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Down here in south Florida the local guys say there is definitely interest…but a lot of pieces have to line up…ultimately however they don’t think they will meet Colts or JTs demands…not unless there isn’t some movement from those sides.

I would think if there are players involved the Colts will probably need time to get consensus there is a fit and need at the position.

JT easily could've been a Colt legend.  Now it seems like he will play in Florida. 

So odd

I guess Colt's history with RBs is older than mine, so what do I know? but common sense says you just don't let a player like that walk away 

to me, this seems more like Irsay refusing to budge on resetting the RB market. We can definitely afford him at 16m a year with a rookie QB. This easily could've been done

yet Irsay seems to want to take a league-wide stand on contracts and NFLPA value, vs. team and individual player value. 

Basically saying we won't pull a Browns at the RB position

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AKB said:

JT easily could've been a Colt legend.  Now it seems like he will play in Florida. 

So odd

I guess Colt's history with RBs is older than mine, so what do I know? but common sense says you just don't let a player like that walk away 

to me, this seems more like Irsay refusing to budge on resetting the RB market. We can definitely afford him at 16m a year with a rookie QB. This easily could've been done

yet Irsay seems to want to take a league-wide stand on contracts and NFLPA value, vs. team and individual player value. 

Basically saying we won't pull a Browns at the RB position

I think the bigger issue is he is coming off an injury into a new offense.   He is under contract this year.    If he just played and had a monster year,  he may have gotten a new contract during the season or before next season

• Like 1

Watching a few talking heads this afternoon….

There are a few teams that a player like JT MIGHT put that team into the Super Bowl

Miami, Dallas, Buffalo, Chargers, Baltimore

These fan bases have waited a long time to reach the big game

JT is at or near his peak…Today

The Colts are NOT near their peak, we probably will not be there next year either…..

The “math” averages say that a RB loses that edge year 5-6.

JT may be sooner as he had a ton of carry’s  in college

I am coming around to the fact that the Colts may be OK  2-3 years from now if we use the pick or picks wisely from a JT trade

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Looks to me the odds are highly in favor of the Colts trading Taylor. IMO , this is a big mistake. There is no way say... 2nd round compensation from a good team is worth 2 years of J Taylor. Colts have all the leverage ... just as Oakland and the Giants have. One year at 4 mill and the next year at around 10 mill is a bargain price for a RB of his caliber. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

We’ll see what they say when he is a former teammate. Of course they aren’t critical now.

They will say the same.   Their day at the contract table will come soon.   The players have JTs back for good or bad.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Looks to me the odds are highly in favor of the Colts trading Taylor. IMO , this is a big mistake. There is no way say... 2nd round compensation from a good team is worth 2 years of J Taylor. Colts have all the leverage ... just as Oakland and the Giants have. One year at 4 mill and the next year at around 10 mill is a bargain price for a RB of his caliber. 

To serve what purpose, though? Unless Richardson is outstanding this season, I think we're a 6-7 win team at best, even with Taylor. Maybe we have a higher ceiling in 2024, but we also have ways of replacing Taylor's production next offseason.

I think, from a resource management standpoint, trading him now is an acceptable move. I'd be fine with tagging him next year, but we're seeing a preview of how that would go right now; I have little doubt that he'd decline to sign the tender, not report for camp, and then who knows what we get during the season. If we could get a 2nd rounder and change (maybe a player?) for him now, that's a good recoup. It also gives us some additional ammo as we go into what should be a pivotal offseason in 2024.

And that's setting aside questions of whether he's healthy or not.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Tampering 

Okay, prove it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Depends what we get in return. Ballard isn’t grigson. He typically gets great returns on the few trades he has done. The outlier being Gilmore but I still think that was done more as a courtesy to Gilmore than it was anything else

1 minute ago, Superman said:

To serve what purpose, though? Unless Richardson is outstanding this season, I think we're a 6-7 win team at best, even with Taylor. Maybe we have a higher ceiling in 2024, but we also have ways of replacing Taylor's production next offseason.

I think, from a resource management standpoint, trading him now is an acceptable move. I'd be fine with tagging him next year, but we're seeing a preview of how that would go right now; I have little doubt that he'd decline to sign the tender, not report for camp, and then who knows what we get during the season. If we could get a 2nd rounder and change (maybe a player?) for him now, that's a good recoup. It also gives us some additional ammo as we go into what should be a pivotal offseason in 2024.

And that's setting aside questions of whether he's healthy or not.

Okay, prove it.

Seems his agent has really been pushing him to dolphins. Even way back when Irsay made that tweet. Just seems fishy to me.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How is that tampering?

There were reports Miami was talking to JTs agent weeks ago. Reports by very reputable people including Holder and Rapport. It was even mentioned and compared to miamis history of tampering in the past that got them in trouble