Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Henry got $25 million GTD in a 4 year $50 mill.

Give JT 4 years $40 million with the same $25 million guaranteed, there is a good chance he takes it based on the GTD money.

Huh ? When ?

According to spotrac Henry is only under contract for 2023 at 12.75 M

"Henry is entering the final year of a four-year, $50 million contract inked in 2020. The deal includes $25 million in guaranteed money, an average annual salary of $12.5 million, and a $12 million signing bonus.Mar 22, 2023"

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/derrick-henry-18994/#:~:text=Derrick Henry signed a 4,dead cap value of %2410%2C102%2C941.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Thing is, none of the pay-him-crowd would talk this way about JT if he wasn’t a Colt. It’s fanboyism and not looking at the bigger picture. 

Which is what exactly? He's only 24. No one is saying give him RB market changing money or even a 4 year contract. I even suggested 3 years 40 mil fully guaranteed. I think that's more then fair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Which is what exactly? He's only 24. No one is saying give him RB market changing money or even a 4 year contract. I even suggested 3 years 40 mil fully guaranteed. I think that's more then fair.

Taylor is not getting a 3 year, $40 mill contract that is fully guaranteed.   That would be unprecedented.   One year deals might get fully guaranteed.  But not 3 years at such a large number.   If JT could get 50-60 percent guaranteed he’d be fortunate.  

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Taylor is not getting a 3 year, $40 mill contract that is fully guaranteed.   That would be unprecedented.   One year deals might get fully guaranteed.  But not 3 years at such a large number.   If JT could get 50-60 percent guaranteed he’d be fortunate.  

Unprecedented for RBs, but there are fully guaranteed contracts 

7 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Huh ? When ?

According to spotrac Henry is only under contract for 2023 at 12.75 M

"Henry is entering the final year of a four-year, $50 million contract inked in 2020. The deal includes $25 million in guaranteed money, an average annual salary of $12.5 million, and a $12 million signing bonus.Mar 22, 2023"

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/derrick-henry-18994/#:~:text=Derrick Henry signed a 4,dead cap value of %2410%2C102%2C941.

Your link says exactly what the post you quoted says

10 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Thing is, none of the pay-him-crowd would talk this way about JT if he wasn’t a Colt. It’s fanboyism and not looking at the bigger picture. 

I disagree. I was saying how important it was for the Giants to sign Barkley, that him getting the franchise tag was insulting. I have also bashed the Vikings with the way they have handled Cook. Neither team is my favorite team. There are outliers, like it or not, giving JT a contract extension that is reasonable makes sense. You may not want him here but that is your take.

Anyone that thinks we are a better team without JT loses all credibility.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

You mean besides the fact you can get 75-85% of his performance for 25-40% of the cost?

So you suggested a 3 years and 40 mil fully guaranteed, what if he wants 14 per year? 15? 16? More? All of it fully guaranteed?

What if Ballard thinks his value is 11 per year? What if he only wants to guarantee half?

Overpaying for any position is a bad move and top RBs haven’t won super bowls in a long time. 

46 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

You mean besides the fact you can get 75-85% of his performance for 25-40% of the cost?

So you suggested a 3 years and 40 mil fully guaranteed, what if he wants 14 per year? 15? 16? More? All of it fully guaranteed?

What if Ballard thinks his value is 11 per year? What if he only wants to guarantee half?

Overpaying for any position is a bad move and top RBs haven’t won super bowls in a long time. 

You used the term fanboyism to the pay him crowd. Not sure why would you would even post something like that when there isn't 1 person in here that I have seen that thinks we should overpay him. All anyone wants is pay him at least what is reasonable. 39 million over 3 years with 25 million dollars guaranteed is very reasonable. He is a great RB and a HR hitter.

Now if wants 14-16 million a year than I am in your camp. That is too much.

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You used the term fanboyism to the pay him crowd. Not sure why would you would even post something like that when there isn't 1 person in here that I have seen that thinks we should overpay him. All anyone wants is pay him at least what is reasonable. 39 million over 3 years with 25 million dollars guaranteed is very reasonable. He is a great RB and a HR hitter.

Now if wants 14-16 million a year than I am in your camp. That is too much.

YOU think 39 mill is a good deal, what if JT thinks it isn’t enough. What if Ballard thinks it’s too much?

He’s an average pass catcher and a bad pass blocker - both of which are important pieces of the game right now. 

Edit: and I never said I didn’t want him, stop the melodrama. I just hope we sign him to a reasonable price. If he doesn’t want that, we can find adequate replacements at a MUCH cheaper price. 

21 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

YOU think 39 mill is a good deal, what if JT thinks it isn’t enough. What if Ballard thinks it’s too much?

He’s an average psas catcher and a bad pass blocker - both of which are important pieces of the game right now. 

He is an above average pass catcher when given the opportunities.    His ypc is pretty good

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is an above average pass catcher when given the opportunities.    His ypc is pretty good

If he was an above average pass catcher Reich would’ve designed pass plays around him. He was used as a dump off target. 

He’s an average pass catcher and a bad pass blocker - both of which are important pieces of the game right now. 

Edit: and I never said I didn’t want him, stop the melodrama. I just hope we sign him to a reasonable price. If he doesn’t want that, we can find adequate replacements at a MUCH cheaper price. 

You started the melodrama nonsense by calling people fan Boys. The contract I posted is fair and reasonable. I have seen many other posters in here post pretty much what I think he is worth. BOWEN and QUERY also agree with me. 

To say JT is just an average pass catcher is another dig at him too. How do we fully know that when he has had Carson Wentz and had bad Matt ryan at QB the last 2 seasons. For someone that claims that he wants JT, you sure show it with all compliments you give JT which is basically zero. chuckling homer simpson GIF

32 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Hines wasn't a between the tackles runner either,   but that play got called a lot.   

Touché, but then Reich was a complete * for calling that play over and over. Guess you could argue then same about not passing to JT, but JT never showed he was a dominant pass catcher like a Kamara or CMC. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You started the melodrama nonsense by calling people fan Boys. The contract I posted is fair and reasonable. I have seen many other posters in here post pretty much what I think he is worth. BOWEN and QUERY also agree with me. 

To say JT is just an average pass catcher is another dig at him too. How do we fully know that when he has had Carson Wentz and had bad Matt ryan at QB the last 2 seasons. For someone that claims that he wants JT, you sure show it with all compliments you give JT which is basically zero. chuckling homer simpson GIF

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to JT, for some reason some in here are having a mental block and they don't factor in that he is a homerun hitter. Not many teams have that. On any given carry he can take it for 60-80 yards, all it takes is just 2 of those a game and that could be the difference in scoring 10-14 points more in a game. He is an outlier.

Did I now…

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

there isn't 1 person in here that I have seen that thinks we should overpay him. All anyone wants is pay him at least what is reasonable. 39 million over 3 years with 25 million dollars guaranteed is very reasonable.

You seem to be defining what an overpay is to a lot of us by your personal opinion of what is reasonable.  I think based upon the limited kind of usefulness JT has displayed in college and carried to the NFL so far, paying him $4.3M for this season in a new offense coming off of an ankle that he says is till a problem seems reasonable.  Anything MUCH more than that is an overpay, IMO.

And I agree with @Solid84.  If he wasn't a Colt, people would be looking at his (reported) contract demands combined with his apparent attitude a lot differently.

• Thanks 1

When it comes to JT, for some reason some in here are having a mental block and they don't factor in that he is a homerun hitter. Not many teams have that. On any given carry he can take it for 60-80 yards, all it takes is just 2 of those a game and that could be the difference in scoring 10-14 points more in a game. He is an outlier.

This is true, but I look at it in totality.  When he isn't scoring those big runs, how does he help the offense move the ball?  Does he get stuffed a lot when not breaking one?  Does he create on his own or does he pretty much run to where the play-block was called?  Does he fumble more, average, or less than other RBs? 

How many of those non-contributory plays have to be run in order to get the game breaking ones?  Does the offense get first downs or three and outs when it feeds it to JT looking for a game break.  When not running, does he help the QB stay upright?

You can refer to the game breaking stats and possibilities similarly with a WR.  Take a fast straight ahead guy like TY Hilton and throw bombs to him all game long.  I'd bet the offense would connect on one or two of them for 14 pts.  But what would happen to the O when they didn't?   Would he help the QB or RB get yards by running wide behind TY's great block?  Can that WR run outs and comebacks, or muscle a catch for a FD?

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Can you expound on this?

see my post above.  JT was this way in college too.

And another has mentioned about Frank calling runs up the gut with Hines and JT.  That's exactly why JT was drafted, because that's what Wisconsin's offense is based on and what JT did for 4 years there.

He might be able to do more.  But paying him big money now before he has shown it would be paying a RB big guaranteed money on spec.  

I agree 100% with Irsay, Ballard, and SS at this point.

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You seem to be defining what an overpay is to a lot of us by your personal opinion of what is reasonable.  I think based upon the limited kind of usefulness JT has displayed in college and carried to the NFL so far, paying him $4.3M for this season in a new offense coming off of an ankle that he says is till a problem seems reasonable.  Anything MUCH more than that is an overpay, IMO.

And I agree with @Solid84.  If he wasn't a Colt, people would be looking at his (reported) contract demands combined with his apparent attitude a lot differently.

Of course you agree with him, I wouldn't expect anything less. It is funny how some of the best posters in here think the contract I posted is reasonable and fair and Bowen and Query both have thrown out the same numbers I have as well to what isn't an overpay. So it is just not my personal opinion. Not of that matters though. Trust me, you don't know more than 2 guys that have their own radio show that is around the team 24/7. 

• Like 1

The Eagles paid 4M for their whole RB room last year. Kenny Gainwell was no. 1 in EPA/play, Miles Sanders was no. 9 in EPA/play in the league and if you filter out the RBs with small samples Sanders was no. 1 in the entire league for RBs with over 100 carries. And now Sanders was up for new contract and they just let him go for 6M a year to the Panthers. They let the most efficient starting RB in the league go for 6M a year. And just replaced him with Swift for whom they paid a 4th rounder.

IMO Steichen doesn't see the value to paying huge money to RB. IMO he's probably told Ballard "if you are going to be spending big on skill positions - give me a receiver, not RB". That system just works without the need of superstar RB. That Eagles offense built around Hurts's running ability really took off when they added AJ Brown. And their running game was one of the most efficient in the league without having superstar at RB. The foundation of the running game are the OL and the... QB(scheme)... NOT the RB(for 99.99% of cases). 

This was one of the reasons I was advocating for trading Taylor BEFORE he even requested a trade or requested a huge contract. IMO we can do perfectly well without him. Of course, it would be really nice to have him... but IMO when RBs start requiring huge contracts they become luxury. That money is much better spent elsewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course you agree with him, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I don't know what this means.  Are you saying that we both share the same reasoned opinion on this matter or that we have some sort of perpetual tribal bond that's based on something else?

It is funny how some of the best posters in here

Who are the good posters and the bad?  I suppose, the good ones here provide links to another person's opinion, where that other person happens to have their own YouTube channel or Twitter Feed or something.? 

Trust me, you don't know more than 2 guys that have their own radio show that is around the team 24/7. 

But yet the media guys and twitter feedies know more about JT vs the landscape than Irsay, Ballard, and SS; who are actually around the team 24/7.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know what this means.  Are you saying that we both share the same reasoned opinion on this matter or that we have some sort of perpetual tribal bond that's based on something else?

Who are the good posters and the bad?  I suppose, the good ones here provide links to another person's opinion, where that other person happens to have their own YouTube channel or Twitter Feed or something.? 

But yet the media guys and twitter feedies know more about JT vs the landscape than Irsay, Ballard, and SS.  I see people question Irsay all of the time....but Bowen is off limits?  I would say that Irsay, Ballard, and SS are around the team 24/7 too.

There are no bad posters in here, let me make that clear! All I said is "some of the best posters in here", - best meaning, people that post accurate stuff with facts or that most people agree with. Bowen is not off limits, nor is anyone. I was just pointing out that many people that have great minds agree with me about JT's contract. Bowen and Query would not have their own radio show if they didn't know about football. How do you know how Irsay, Ballard, or SS really feel about JT? They haven't said one way or the other. You don't know with 100% certainty that JT won't get an extension.  

Look if you want to disagree with me, that is your right. I am sick of getting suckered into the back and forth's with you, you and a couple of other posters in here are the Kings at it. I will let you have the last word, enjoy the game today. I will.

Word of advice, you should start your own radio show here locally, that would be cool to hear.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree. I was saying how important it was for the Giants to sign Barkley, that him getting the franchise tag was insulting. I have also bashed the Vikings with the way they have handled Cook. Neither team is my favorite team. There are outliers, like it or not, giving JT a contract extension that is reasonable makes sense. You may not want him here but that is your take.

Anyone that thinks we are a better team without JT loses all credibility.

I think we’re a better team with JT on a 10-13 mil per year contract half guaranteed for 3 years that we would be with JT on a 14-20 mill per year fully or mostly guaranteed for 4-5 years like some are saying he’s wanting or that we should do.

that said, we are currently a better team without him because a player that’s just pouting and not being honest about his injury hurts the team more than it helps. I’m thoroughly convinced JT tried to pull a fast one and get a big contract knowing his ankle isn’t right and the Colts called his bluff 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are no bad posters in here, let me make that clear! All I said is "some of the best posters in here", - best meaning, people that post accurate stuff with facts or that most people agree with. Bowen is not off limits, nor is anyone. I was just pointing out that many people that have great minds agree with me about JT's contract. Bowen and Query would not have their own radio show if they didn't know about football. How do you know how Irsay, Ballard, or SS really feel about JT? They haven't said one way or the other. You don't know with 100% certainty that JT won't get an extension.  

Look if you want to disagree with me, that is your right. I am sick of getting suckered into the back and forth's with you, you and a couple of other posters in here are the Kings at it. I will let you have the last word, enjoy the game today. I will.

Word of advice, you should start your own radio show here locally, that would be cool to hear.

I just give my opinions, and in more than two sentences because I think all opinions should be backed up. 

I was supporting a position another poster took because I thought your definition of "overpay"  was based on an opinion.  I can't control if you are offended.  I had no desire...or ever do...to have a disagreeable back and forth with you or anyone.....but I also never back down.

BTW, I share your fandom of the Huskers.  Hopefully we can come together on that if a thread supports it.  Have a nice day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I just give my opinions, and in more than two sentences because I think all opinions should be backed up. 

I was supporting a position another poster took because I thought your definition of "overpay"  was based on an opinion.  I can't control if you are offended.  I had no desire...or ever do...to have a disagreeable back and forth with you or anyone.....but I also never back down.

BTW, I share your fandom of the Huskers.  Hopefully we can come together on that if a thread supports it.  Have a nice day.

You didn't offend me, it just seems like we always butt heads. Maybe part of it is my fault. I try and respect everyone's opinion in here. As much as I think I may be right on things, I definitely don't know it all. There are many people in here I have learned from knowledge wise.

Anyone that is a Husker fan, can't be all that bad :thmup:. I remember you were so every time we do debate, I am like this guy loves the Cornhuskers Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course you agree with him, I wouldn't expect anything less. It is funny how some of the best posters in here think the contract I posted is reasonable and fair and Bowen and Query both have thrown out the same numbers I have as well to what isn't an overpay. So it is just not my personal opinion. Not of that matters though. Trust me, you don't know more than 2 guys that have their own radio show that is around the team 24/7. 

I would not let differences of opinion upset me, and I would not go back and forth with anyone.

I think a lot is going on here. JT being under contract and not practicing because of what is perceived to be a holdout is one factor. I don't think they believe he is physically unable to perform (PUP). Many fans do not like that. Second, his supposed or reported request of $20million per year has some very angry.  Younger fans also do not seem to appreciate the RB position the way fans who have been watching the NFL for 25+ years do. They feel the RBs job can be performed by many. So, they believe RBs are dispensable and therefore not worth investing much money on.

Having said that, $4 million to $5 million per year for JT is well below what I think he merits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I would not let differences of opinion upset me, and I would not go back and forth with anyone.

I think a lot is going on here. JT being under contract and not practicing because of what is perceived to be a holdout is one factor. I don't think they believe he is physically unable to perform (PUP). Many fans do not like that. Second, his supposed or reported request of $20million per year has some very angry.  Younger fans also do not seem to appreciate the RB position the way fans who have been watching the NFL for 25+ years do. They feel the RBs job can be performed by many. So, they believe RBs are dispensable and therefore not worth investing much money on.

$4 million to $5 million per year for JT is well below what I think he merits.

I am fine, I think whole situation sucks. I just give an opinion what I think is fair and many do agree with it. I just hope JT is near 100% healthy and it this thing gets resolved because we are a better team with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't offend me, it just seems like we always butt heads. Maybe part of it is my fault. I try and respect everyone's opinion in here. As much as I think I may be right on things, I definitely don't know it all. There are many people in here I have learned from knowledge wise.

Anyone that is a Husker fan, can't be all that bad :thmup:. I remember you were so every time we do debate, I am like this guy loves the Cornhuskers Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

As a clue to my way.  I don't form opinions based upon other peoples credentials.  I don't think of stuff that is linked as being fact or accurate.  So if I make an opinion based solely upon my own observations and reasoning, I guess it comes off as an assertion that's based on "not accurate" stuff to folks who hold the-credentialed in higher esteem.   

All I can say is that's the way I form opinions, so that's how I post.  There is no malice or ill-intent.

Edit: BTW, I don't recall us ever butting heads...are you thinking of the right guy?  The only thing I remember is a couple of weeks ago I called you a HOMER...you know, because you attach Homer GIFS a lot.  I was acknowledging your badge of honor I thought you wore proudly, but it got interpreted as a personal shot.  Sorry.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Can you expound on this?

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

This is true, but I look at it in totality.  When he isn't scoring those big runs, how does he help the offense move the ball?  Does he get stuffed a lot when not breaking one?  Does he create on his own or does he pretty much run to where the play-block was called?  Does he fumble more, average, or less than other RBs? 

How many of those non-contributory plays have to be run in order to get the game breaking ones?  Does the offense get first downs or three and outs when it feeds it to JT looking for a game break.  When not running, does he help the QB stay upright?

You can refer to the game breaking stats and possibilities similarly with a WR.  Take a fast straight ahead guy like TY Hilton and throw bombs to him all game long.  I'd bet the offense would connect on one or two of them for 14 pts.  But what would happen to the O when they didn't?   Would he help the QB or RB get yards by running wide behind TY's great block?  Can that WR run outs and comebacks, or muscle a catch for a FD?

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Can you expound on this?

see my post above.  JT was this way in college too.

And another has mentioned about Frank calling runs up the gut with Hines and JT.  That's exactly why JT was drafted, because that's what Wisconsin's offense is based on and what JT did for 4 years there.

He might be able to do more.  But paying him big money now before he has shown it would be paying a RB big guaranteed money on spec.  

I agree 100% with Irsay, Ballard, and SS at this point.

Did these posts answer your question?