Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Superman said:

We saw this coming, right?

This thing went from tropical disturbance to named hurricane over the course of the offseason. Now we have a couple weeks to see whether Hurricane Taylor makes landfall, but the storm has been building since at least April, with no indication that things would de-escalate.

I don't blame Taylor for wanting a new contract. I don't blame the team for wanting to wait, given the circumstances (JT's health last season, the team transitioning this season). I think Irsay blundered on Twitter last week, and I think Taylor's side is lashing out in a way that probably won't be productive. It's the business, and I'm not taking one side over the other, but I think the same situation could have played out with less acrimony. 

End of the day, I'm fine with whatever the resolution is. I don't think the Colts are going to budge; I wonder if Taylor is willing to sit out games, but I wouldn't be surprised. I definitely wouldn't trade him at this point. If I had to bet, he gets on the field and plays this season, and if he plays well, he either gets a new deal after the trade deadline, or gets tagged in March and we go through another round of media hype. If he doesn't play well, he hits free agency and signs somewhere else.

Eventually the storm will pass. It would have been great if everyone played nice, but there's a tough climate around RB contracts these days, and we just so happen to have a major test case on our roster right now.

I was listening to JMV and Kravitz was on the show and he kind of echoed what I have been saying for awhile, and I don't agree with Kravitz much lol. If Taylor was a better pass catcher and on the same level as Kamara and McAfferey in that area, a deal would probably have been done by now. Taylor's skill set fit more under Reich where he could be that bell cow kind of back. Steichen, I believe, thinks he can put a back with some talent back there and he will excel with RPO's and Richardson as their qb.  Kravitz stated this and I fully agree. I think Taylor is playing a very dangerous game at this time. If he sits out and one of these backs fills in admirably, it will even more destroy his  value and the rb market in general. There is speculation out there that Taylor may want to be the highest rb. I think we can all agree that he is not worthy of such a contract.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

This thing went from tropical disturbance to named hurricane over the course of the offseason. Now we have a couple weeks to see whether Hurricane Taylor makes landfall, but the storm has been building since at least April, with no indication that things would de-escalate.

Yep, there was a distinct change of direction once Taylor hired his new agent. There are statements from him from APRIL... THIS APRIL... like... 3-4 months ago of Taylor saying "I have a contract and I am going to honor it" and it has now come to... whatever this current thing is... 

I don't blame Taylor for wanting a new contract. I don't blame the team for wanting to wait, given the circumstances (JT's health last season, the team transitioning this season). I think Irsay blundered on Twitter last week, and I think Taylor's side is lashing out in a way that probably won't be productive. It's the business, and I'm not taking one side over the other, but I think the same situation could have played out with less acrimony. 

I don't blame Taylor for wanting a new contract. I just think he hasn't played his cards very well. I think he's been given really bad advice. I think the best chance he had of getting said new contract was with the Colts simply because it would have been the cheapest for the Colts to give him that contract(they would have had to only give him the contract, rather than having to give both the contract and draft picks) and both Irsay and Ballard value their own guys more than most in the league.

End of the day, I'm fine with whatever the resolution is. I don't think the Colts are going to budge; I wonder if Taylor is willing to sit out games, but I wouldn't be surprised. I definitely wouldn't trade him at this point. If I had to bet, he gets on the field and plays this season, and if he plays well, he either gets a new deal after the trade deadline, or gets tagged in March and we go through another round of media hype. If he doesn't play well, he hits free agency and signs somewhere else.

Eventually the storm will pass. It would have been great if everyone played nice, but there's a tough climate around RB contracts these days, and we just so happen to have a major test case on our roster right now.

I think the most likely scenario right now is that he comes back and plays this season. The second most likely scenario is we make a trade. The Achane + day 2 pick framework IMO is workable... the other option is something like... Chase Young for Jonathan Taylor(who says no?)... player for player type deal where we are getting a good player that is on the outs with his team similar to Taylor. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was listening to JMV and Kravitz was on the show and he kind of echoed what I have been saying for awhile, and I don't agree with Kravitz much lol. If Taylor was a better pass catcher and on the same level as Kamara and McAfferey in that area, a deal would probably have been done by now. Taylor's skill set fit more under Reich where he could be that bell cow kind of back. Steichen, I believe, thinks he can put a back with some talent back there and he will excel with RPO's and Richardson as their qb.  Kravitz stated this and I fully agree. I think Taylor is playing a very dangerous game at this time. If he sits out and one of these backs fills in admirably, it will even more destroy his  value and the rb market in general. There is speculation out there that Taylor may want to be the highest rb. I think we can all agree that he is not worthy of such a contract.

No offense but it doesn't surprise me that you heard something that coincides with your opinion and latched onto it. I don't think there's anything deficient with Taylor's skill set. And even if he was an elite pass catcher, I still don't think it would be smart to pay him like Kamara and McCaffrey. 

I think if Taylor had a strong season in 2022, the Colts probably would have already made an offer to him. Don't know if he would have found the offer acceptable or not, but things would be different for sure. It's not all about having a new coach, although that's definitely a factor.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think the most likely scenario right now is that he comes back and plays this season. The second most likely scenario is we make a trade. The Achane + day 2 pick framework IMO is workable... the other option is something like... Chase Young for Jonathan Taylor(who says no?)... player for player type deal where we are getting a good player that is on the outs with his team similar to Taylor. 

I would not trade him, period. I mean, make me the amazing offer and we'll talk, but that's true of every player. And he's the least likely of our good players to bring back an amazing offer, so it is what it is. 

Overall though, I'm not letting a player's nuclear threats strong-arm me into making a move. While I get JT's frustration, his side is being very impatient right now. And maybe that's strategic, but it wouldn't have the intended result if I were running the show. 

As for the Chase Young scenario, Washington says no for sure. He might be on the outs, but he has more value around the league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This dispute has been a common situation in the earlier years with the Colts organization. Example: Dickerson, Faulk, Edge...  Irsay is Irsay and basically did a poor job in convincing JT to be patient and wait out this year. His timing to march into that bus was TERRIBLE and any amateur would have told him that it was inappropriate.

Bottomline, only JT can change JT's attitude. He chose to be confrontational about his contract and now he will have to live with it. Lamar Jackson did the same and now he is trying to mend the fences. Lamar did not get what he wanted but he is back on the field. Remember: Money talks and nonsense walks. Irsay and Ballard has done more negotiations that JT or his agent, so the only thing on JT's corner is to cry for the sports media simpathy. (Who by the way is loaded with has been players trying to push eyeballs and attention). JT is a nice guy but not wise.

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They are correct, as are you.  This entire situation is due to JT being a limited RB, not a fully-skilled RB in the ways a RB needs to be in today's NFL.  Like that one tweet suggested, JT is looking to get traded to 1997.

The reason he did not have a great 2022 is precisely because he is limited.  The NFL knows this.  His success....the crux of his perception of value....came from having a 2021 season where he busted off a bunch of big runs for TDs midseason that no other RB in the NFL could have done.  

That's a great skill to have.  But that's not what CMC and Kamara get paid to do.  JT is a bit of an outlier, and there are few market comparables by which to set his value.  In cases like this in business, the buyer sets the market, so JTs value is truely going to be based upon which team wants to pay him money for what he has demonstrated he can do.  There is no real established market for a really fast downhill RB.  There is no "Kellys Blue Book" for an agent to use as support.

Sure, maybe he has the skills to be Kamara.  It hasn't been fully demonstrated yet, so he should get paid based upon the desire of a team to run him up the gut in hopes he breaks a long run.  You pay him elite money for what he shows he can do. if any team wants that skill as the centerpiece of their running game.  And you don't pay elite money on spec.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would not trade him, period. I mean, make me the amazing offer and we'll talk, but that's true of every player. And he's the least likely of our good players to bring back an amazing offer, so it is what it is. 

Overall though, I'm not letting a player's nuclear threats strong-arm me into making a move. While I get JT's frustration, his side is being very impatient right now. And maybe that's strategic, but it wouldn't have the intended result if I were running the show. 

As for the Chase Young scenario, Washington says no for sure. He might be on the outs, but he has more value around the league.

What's the trade package that would make you trade him? Is 2nd and 3d enough? That's basically what Achane+2nd would mean... 

Kenny Moore is much wiser than JT.  He kept his mouth shut and kept playing (although poorly). Ballard will keep  him. Look at Hines, he kept his mouth shut and kept sawing wood. He was no big thunder but Ballard rewarded him. Yes he eventually traded him to a playoff team last year and did him a favor. JT just blew it royally !!!

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

What's the trade package that would make you trade him? Is 2nd and 3d enough? That's basically what Achane+2nd would mean... 

It's not enough for me. It would have to include a first. Also, Achane would be nice to have, but he doesn't fill the void that would be left by losing JT. I wouldn't trade the guy who is demanding a trade because we didn't offer him a contract the second he became eligible, not unless someone is blowing me out of the water with an incredible offer, and a 2nd and 3rd isn't big enough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

What's the trade package that would make you trade him? Is 2nd and 3d enough?

Doubt the team will actually have to worry about that.  Nobody wants to trade much for a disgruntled rb seeking a big contract after expiring this year

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

When I write about a code inside a locker room, that’s because I’ve read about it for many years, even decades.   If you don’t believe it, that’s your choice. 

You don’t know what I read or the information I gather.    

The 99 percent number is a guesstimate implying the vast majority.   Could it be 98 percent or 97 percent?   Sure.  But does it really matter?   

One of us covered the NFL for 30 years and I’m confident it wasn’t you.   You can try to engage with me all you want.  But you’ve made it clear it’s a waste of my time.   I’d be happy to engage with you if you were even the slightest bit sincere, but you’re not.   Nothing I say to you is ever going to change your mind about anything I say.    Your choice.   

Trying to ignore you is my choice. 

Enjoy the website.     :hat:

All due respect, my engagements and comments are sincere. There’s a lot of knowledge on this board, including on your posts. But you always play the “these discussions are insincere” card or variation of when you receive pushback. Your best bit is demanding ONLY FACTS from everyone else but opinions are ok for you.

“NINETY NINE percent of the locker room thinks this!!!”

”Really, source?”

”Could be 97, 96, who cares.” 
“Source?” 
“You’re insincere. I wrote about the NFL.” 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

Taylor is right for wanting paid. But he jumped the gun. It would suited him much better to go out and play hard this year and show he can still do JT things. Then if the Colts tagged him instead of given him a contract he would have been right to hold out. Right approach but bad timing on his behalf. Now Irsay pinned him into a corner where he is forced to play his way out. If he holds out he won't get paid and will have to prove himself a year later somewhere else...can't blame the Colts for playing this the way they did. Kawa didn't do Taylor justice as an agent. What scares me is Taylor worried he won't be the same and was trying to land a pay day before he was exposed. He's a great player and I hope this can be worked out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

This is true and why you pick and choose your battles. You don't do this to WRs CBs QBs DEs. But you can't have every position on your team playing hardball with and expect the Colts not to play back. Especially at RB. I truly believe if Taylor would sit downwith Jim and Ballard and say I'm not happy I don't agree but said I'll play it out. He would get a contract half way through the season if he was healthy and playing well. Impatience is hurting JT. I think he sees the organizations a suckered who over pay and thought he could bully and milk them. It's about time we stood up. We have overpaid on too many players at non skilled positions or with injury questions and got bit in the but. Wentz, Fisher are injury examples Leonard, Moore, and Nelson are position examples. We can't keep that trend going and build a competitive roster down the road.

that doesn’t make sense to think that because Moore tried to hold out and it got him no where. 

So essentially the current situation is that: 

A. The organization is officially saying he's injured and he'll be able to play once he's cleared medically. 

B. The client and his agent are stating A is false.

Am I getting the gist of this correct? That neither JT nor his agent have said anything about him being injured? 

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

He held out after we gave him a contract.

He didn't get anything new after last year's displeasure.

My bad I thought the hold out was before his contract. I don't see why he's unhappy he got a pretty fair deal for a Nickle CB. It's seems to be a trend in Indy for players to look for top dollar when the performance and availability is always there. I can't blame Indy for handling this they way they have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

So essentially the current situation is that: 

A. The organization is officially saying he's injured and he'll be able to play once he's cleared medically. 

B. The client and his agent are stating A is false.

Am I getting the gist of this correct? That neither JT nor his agent have said anything about him being injured? 

I don't think you are. Set aside the "reports" and posturing. JT reported to camp and was placed on PUP, meaning the team and the player have acknowledged that he's injured.

The part that's being disputed is that some sources say the Colts have considered placing JT on NFI for a back injury, which means he suffered an injury away from the team that he could be held responsible for. JT is saying he never had or reported a back injury. So if we assume those sources are connected to the Colts, that would indicate there's a disconnect somewhere.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

You would just cut him instead of considering a trade?  That doesn't make sense. 

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

No it doesn't.

Its looking like if he plays for the Colts, its going to be for simply accruing his needed time.  No, I would not hold a roster spot for a player who shows up only for that reason.

If he doesn't report and play, what team would trade meaningful capital for a RB who is not going to play under his current contract or shows up to simply accrue time.?

Like I said before, the only teams that I could see that would want JT are teams that are looking to rent his skills for one season.  If JT could be sold that he will be the feature RB for a team like BUF or NYJ that could use one for a playoff run, it might change his attitude to where he shows up to actually play hard and not just to accrue time.

There are about 4 or 5 teams that fit that mold?  If no trade can be worked out with those teams, I'm assuming no trade is possible, and then the Colts are back to my first sentence. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

No offense but it doesn't surprise me that you heard something that coincides with your opinion and latched onto it. I don't think there's anything deficient with Taylor's skill set. And even if he was an elite pass catcher, I still don't think it would be smart to pay him like Kamara and McCaffrey. 

I think if Taylor had a strong season in 2022, the Colts probably would have already made an offer to him. Don't know if he would have found the offer acceptable or not, but things would be different for sure. It's not all about having a new coach, although that's definitely a factor.

I disagree.  Taylor would be a much much much hotter commodity if the league considered him a better pass catcher and protector.

I think that's obvious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The part that's being disputed is that some sources say the Colts have considered placing JT on NFI for a back injury, which means he suffered an injury away from the team that he could be held responsible for. JT is saying he never had or reported a back injury. So if we assume those sources are connected to the Colts, that would indicate there's a disconnect somewhere.

This was the piece I was missing, thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How are they between a rock and hard place? He is under contract. He needs to have a stellar year to  hopefully get that extension that  he covets.  He holds out and he loses money and risks some young buck taking his place. He decides to dog it through the season and his stock will plummet.  This is not Mahommes, Herbert or Burrows making noise. This is a running back which is probably the most replaceable position in the NFL. Don't believe me,  just ask Jacobs and Barkley and the next star rb that is up for a 2nd contract. The Colts will go forward with or without Taylor this year. This will all fade away once the season starts and if he is on the bench, no matter. The team will be focused on the development  of  Richardson, Peirce, Woods, the hopefully rejuvenated Oline, the hopefully health Leonard. If some of these stories  develop, he wont be missed. Having and/or not having Taylor is not going to make much difference in this team making the playoffs. The theme for this year is young player development and the future.  Sadly ,and I think the team knows this, but by  the time Taylor's wheels start to come off,  we will hopefully start to see some of these young picks start to show what they have. Hard to say this, but Taylor is not really part of the future plan. He is here and the now and that is easily expendable. If they make the playoffs then that is a bonus but that is not my expectation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think colts got JT to admit he wasn’t injured. Which should move things along.

As far as how the roster designations and payments are concerned, yes.  The NLI? is off the table.

So JT will get paid for showing up in the manner he wants to show up, whatever that ends up being.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How are they between a rock and hard place? He is under contract. He needs to have a stellar year to  hopefully get that extension that  he covets.  He holds out and he loses money and risks some young buck taking his place. He decides to dog it through the season and his stock will plummet.  This is not Mahommes, Herbert or Burrows making noise. This is a running back which is probably the most replaceable position in the NFL. Don't believe me,  just ask Jacobs and Barkley and the next star rb that is up for a 2nd contract. The Colts will go forward with or without Taylor this year. This will all fade away once the season starts and if he is on the bench, no matter. The team will be focused on the development  of  Richardson, Peirce, Woods, the hopefully rejuvenated Oline, the hopefully health Leonard. If some of these stories  develop, he wont be missed. Having and/or not having Taylor is not going to make much difference in this team making the playoffs. The theme for this year is young player development and the future.  Sadly ,and I think the team knows this, but by  the time Taylor's wheels start to come off,  we will hopefully start to see some of these young picks start to show what they have. Hard to say this, but Taylor is not really part of the future plan. He is here and the now and that is easily expendable. If they make the playoffs then that is a bonus but that is not my expectation.

I interpreted the tweet of the Colts being between a rock and a hard place as saying that JT has very little trade value given the circumstances.  I agree.  The Colts won't get much for him, and JT is no longer motivated to play for the Colts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, I would not hold a roster spot for a player who shows up only for that reason.

The team wont go by that logic.  He's signed and has talent that can help us win games this season.  

They dont have to do anything about the contract until next season, even if he tired to hold out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The back thing is a baffler Supe.  

I was tracking with at least the reasonableness of the JT camp until that came out.  Like you, I don't think it was a good strategy likely to yield the desired outcome, but the back thing, if he told them he hurt his back in the off season, that's a shocking level of incompetence by the JT team, and a just mystifying lack of critical thinking skills by the Harvard level philosopher.

His premises seem flawed to the nth degree.  I guess the logic from there to here could be sound lol. 

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think you are. Set aside the "reports" and posturing. JT reported to camp and was placed on PUP, meaning the team and the player have acknowledged that he's injured.

The only thing that makes sense to me is maybe the agent... or JT unofficially mentioned something about his back trying to hint to the Colts that he can always invent an injury and sit out the season, but didn't put in any report officially. But that doesn't jive with the report. Just listen and read to Holder's reporting. If what he's saying is true, I have hard time believing Taylor. Holder has details. He's talking about specific days, he's talking about them doing an actual exam on Taylor to confirm and he's saying what they saw was not an injury that happened during his play with the Colts... even if it is super minor... it means they saw something... 

Someone has to be telling a very very nasty false story for... some reason... I don't know what reason. Or Taylor just got caught trying to prime the environment for sitting instead of playing. Someone is lying here. I don't know who... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I interpreted the tweet of the Colts being between a rock and a hard place as saying that JT has very little trade value given the circumstances.  I agree.  The Colts won't get much for him, and JT is no longer motivated to play for the Colts.

Agreed. Looks like he'll sit out for the season. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If i was the Colts, i would honestly send him home with a free 12 month Netflix subscription. I do agree that the Colts are in a new phase with some exciting young players and it is a breath of fresh air. They have lived with the qb carrousel for years and I dont think the teams needs to be dealing with this soap opera all year long. Just my 2 cents.