Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t believe this. Running backs are needed. The problem is they usually hit a wall when second contract comes up. That’s why teams don’t want to pay them big dollars.

There are more teams using a RB committee than in the past.  Teams are not putting the big money on one RB like they have been in the past.  And yes, the offensive philosophy has changed. With the QBs and the pass rushers signing huge contracts the teams are reevaluating where the big money goes and it is the RB that is left out.

27 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I get it, but do you expect Ballard to pay him above market value? If he does, then it sets a precedent for all RBs to get more. No GM or owner really wants to be the one responsible for doing it. Barkley gave in already, and that's going to hurt their leverage.

I didn't say make JT the highest paid RB. I think 14 mil is more then reasonable 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

And at that time, RBs got paid. Zeke, Gurley, Henry, Cmac, and Chubb. What happened in three years for RBs to get devalued 

Ok. That wasn't the majority of RBs that said that.

Zeke and Gurley feel off. JT should get Chubb money in my opinion if a healthy go. Cmac got over paid IMHO. But 49ers were in contention mode and felt that was a superbowl move. We are in build mode with ?s I support Ballard wanting to see Taylor healthy and how the oline looks in this new scheme before pulling the strings on a contract.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And I don't have a clue why he accepted that when the Giants will just tag him again next year. 

What other option did he have?

Sit out the year, lose money and still get tagged again next year?

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

And yet Henry, Cmac, and Chubb are some of the best players in the league 

But the dude is right - RBs on big second contracts are bad investments.  This day in age, analytics play a HUGE part of how the game is played AND signing players.  Back in the day, * owners and GMs used to pay players based on what they had done in the past.  Then these analytics guys came along and said "Why the heck are you *s paying for what a player has done in the past? You should be paying a player based on what he is predicted to do in the future". That's why people don't want to pay RBs a nice second contract.  The odds are that most RBs are out of the league in less than 5 years.  Even the really GOOD ones like JT usually only have 5 REALLY productive years that you wouldn't be able to get from any other RB in the draft .  Sure, there are anomalies like Adrian Peterson and Derrick Henry, but those guys are unicorns and not the norm.  And it's dumb to give out guaranteed money in hopes that your guy is the anomaly.  Look at those players you mentioned.  When's the last time Titans went to a SB? And Cleveland? They've been one of the biggest mismanaged teams for decades.  Yeah, they paid Chubb and won't win a SB.  It was a sucker play to pay him that much, and great teams with great GMs like the Chiefs know this. That's why teams like the Chiefs win Super Bowls.  

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What happened? RBs are not needed because of the changes in offensive philosophy.  RB by committee has made paying one RB obsolete. Why should any team wrap up a huge contract for a position that is injury  prone?

I'm curious to opinions on Taylor's trade value. Is it a possible option the Colts could consider. Could it land us value at oline or cb depth...? I don't think we would get his value in draft picks...

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm curious to opinions on Taylor's trade value. Is it a possible option the Colts could consider. Could it land us value at oline or cb depth...? I don't think we would get his value in draft picks...

I would say a 2nd and maybe a conditional 4th, that can turn into a 3rd if he meets whatever conditions called for.

CMC got a 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

What other option did he have?

Sit out the year, lose money and still get tagged again next year?

What was the point though? You're basically signing the franchise tag

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He had incentive money if he meets certain goals. The franchise tag didn't offer that.

Only gets incentive money if they make the playoffs.

via Spotrac

2023 Incentives, $303,000 each for
1,350 rushing yards + playoff berth
11 total touchdowns + playoff berth
65 receptions + playoff berth

He did score $2m SB, so it got him some money now, instead of waiting. Not too big a deal but whatever. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What was the point though? You're basically signing the franchise tag

Couldn't get a long term deal at that point.

Only thing he could do was get a little more money on a 1yr deal than the Tag amount, which he did, well at least gave himself a chance to.

Or sit out, those were the options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Couldn't get a long term deal at that point.

Only thing he could do was get a little more money on a 1yr deal than the Tag amount, which he did, well at least gave himself a chance to.

Or sit out, those were the options.

Can they still tag him twice?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Can they still tag him twice?

Teams can tag players more than twice(3 times), it's just not a good fiscal move.

Tag amount goes to QB Tag amount or 144% of 2nd tag. Whichever is greater, which will be the QB tag amount.

I think you're asking since he didn't sign the tag, did it count?

If so, yes, it still counts as soon as it is designated.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Our owner tweets impulsively like a 12 yearold.  Been saying it for years.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

So?  This clown hat with his "Fam" chain is crap posting to anyone he can find, Irsay was just one he responded to.  

What likely happened is 12+ young millionaire athletes and a few Agents (who aren't at the top of the barrell, like Milk Kawaii here) got all up in their feelings and worked into a lather and now are feeling "empowered" to act stupid on social media.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Dalvin Cook is a top 5 RB & is still on the market. 

I doubt a team would trade assets for Taylor to pay him even more than Cook.  

I love Taylor. I hope we keep him. But, he does have little leverage right now. The demand is so low with no teams wanting to pay their RB’s. 

You’re definitely correct on all those points. 

14 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

So?  This clown hat with his "Fam" chain is crap posting to anyone he can find, Irsay was just one he responded to.  

What likely happened is 12+ young millionaire athletes and a few Agents (who aren't at the top of the barrell, like Milk Kawaii here) got all up in their feelings and worked into a lather and now are feeling "empowered" to act stupid on social media.

Jennifer Aniston Yes GIF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

RBs aren't asking to sign one or two years after their rookie deal. RBs just want to avoid getting franchise tagged and not getting paid during their prime.

Not getting paid? Are you serious? They’re making MILLIONS! And the tag is worth 10 million plus. They’re getting paid. 

4 hours ago, teganslaw said:

JT's agent doesn't think that the situation can be fixed. Maybe he will end up testing the free agent market, after all. I'm not confident that Taylor will remain in Indy. 

They’ll tag him if he fits the system. 

28 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I read Taylor changed the picture on his Twitter from running out the tunnel at LOS to him on Vacation. Took Colts out of his Bio and liked a comment stated he only showed up for camp to not be fined...smh

Childish if you ask me

38 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yeah but Boomer Jim has been doing stupid feces for decades.  God only knows what would have happened there’d been cellphones in his day.

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not getting paid? Are you serious? They’re making MILLIONS! And the tag is worth 10 million plus. They’re getting paid. 

They’ll tag him if he fits the system. 

They are getting paid by your standards (and most people’s standards) but not by their peers.  If anyone feels they are significantly being under paid compared to their peers you are going to have issues.

• Like 1

Was listening to a podcast. They said Ballard could use a couple trump cards.  One he could tell his agent if your so sure you can find a team willing pay him more then us you have permission to go find it. Then come back to us. Chances are he won’t find it. He could also tell the agent we aren’t negotiating with a injure player. Then bring Pittman in and pay him and tell Taylor he has to wait.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

They are getting paid by your standards (and most people’s standards) but not by their peers.  If anyone feels they are significantly being under paid compared to their peers you are going to have issues.

They are getting paid what the market determines is their value.  There is nothing unfair about that.

It’s just a reality in todays game.  There’s nothing sad about it.  Other position groups that the market has determined are more valuable than RBs are getting a greater share than they used to.  Was it sad when TEs were lol underpaid?  Or centers?

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Was listening to a podcast. They said Ballard could use a couple trump cards.  One he could tell his agent if your so sure you can find a team willing pay him more then us you have permission to go find it. Then come back to us. Chances are he won’t find it. He could also tell the agent we aren’t negotiating with a injure player. Then bring Pittman in and pay him and tell Taylor he has to wait.

Both of these are what I’ve suspected was going on with Irsay and the Colts.  

Irsay was responding to proposed changes to the CBA for running backs in general right now and pretty much saying honor what you agreed too and don’t try to renegotiate it out of cycle.  That’s fair on his part.  

With that he should be smart enough to know when he has a RB wanting a contract rather the comments were directed at Taylor or not some were going to take it that way.

I wasn’t really thinking the Colts had offered a Taylor a contract yet.  Again, I felt that was a lot of people making assumptions on what they felt should be going on.  There is really no reason for the Colts to rush into a contract with Taylor.  Right or not the running back position is becoming devalued.  It’s one of the easier star positions to replace if you have too.  He’s coming off an injury plagued season where his production dropped way off.  They can also franchise tag him (and they might prefer to do that in general) if they want to keep him past this season.

Pittman is the other big free agent coming up this season and frankly I think he’s the priority even if he’s not the better player.  The Colts really have nothing proven at WR beyond him and WRs are a lot harder to find.  He’s also been relatively healthy and has produced.  I’d expect a deal with Pittman to get done before the end of the season and they will deal with Taylor after the season but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Both of these are what I’ve suspected was going on with Irsay and the Colts.  

Irsay was responding to proposed changes to the CBA for running backs in general right now and pretty much saying honor what you agreed too and don’t try to renegotiate it out of cycle.  That’s fair on his part.  

With that he should be smart enough to know when he has a RB wanting a contract rather the comments were directed at Taylor or not some were going to take it that way.

I wasn’t really thinking the Colts had offered a Taylor a contract yet.  Again, I felt that was a lot of people making assumptions on what they felt should be going on.  There is really no reason for the Colts to rush into a contract with Taylor.  Right or not the running back position is becoming devalued.  It’s one of the easier star positions to replace if you have too.  He’s coming off an injury plagued season where his production dropped way off.  They can also franchise tag him (and they might prefer to do that in general) if they want to keep him past this season.

Pittman is the other big free agent coming up this season and frankly I think he’s the priority even if he’s not the better player.  The Colts really have nothing proven at WR beyond him and WRs are a lot harder to find.  He’s also been relatively healthy and has produced.  I’d expect a deal with Pittman to get done before the end of the season and they will deal with Taylor after the season but I could be wrong.

I hope your right about Pittman. Going to be interesting if Taylor returns to practice soon realizing he isn’t going to get that deal or if he really is just not ready.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Makes JT agent look even worse when colts haven’t even offered a deal yet.  Is it JT who is impatient or his agent. I wonder.

I think what happened last night was more about JT’s agent dislike of Jim Irsay which has been documented to go back long before JT.

I do think JT feels pressure from his other running backs to hold the line knowing he’s the next one in line.  I am also sure he does legit want his next contract, what player doesn’t?

I think it’s important to remember we haven’t heard a word from Taylor yet and people are making a lot of assumptions based on what they THINK is going on or what they THINK they know.  Until then, and maybe this is just me, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  

• Like 1