Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boo!! Who is the real Ghost? TY or AP

Indeee

19 hours ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

I have been called out for saying that AP was a wasted 2022 2nd round pick. Let's see if I turn out to be right.

This is a running weekly tab on how many games the real ghost, aka Alec Pierce, disappears.  

Week one: CHECK 

Week two: CHECK

Week Three: Partial CHECK ( 3 for 7 is better or aka a little Boo )

Week Four: CHECK 

Week Five:

Second time:   You were called out because you admitted you called Pierce a bust the night the Colts drafted him.    That you hated him and didn’t like the pick.   You wanted Pickens who wasn’t even available to the Colts when they picked 53rd.   He went to Pittsburgh with the 52nd pick. 

It doesn’t even occur to you Pierce has had only one game with a decent amount of targets.   That part of the problem is AR who is learning how to read defenses and some of the play calling.  Wayne has already admitted they need to do a better job getting Pierce more opportunities.  

On 9/14/2023 at 5:03 PM, EasyE said:

I'm glad we never gave up on Reggie Wayne this soon...

And what if we'd given up this soon on Parris Campbell, Dezmon Patmon, Mike Stratchan, Daurice Fountain and Deon Cain?

I'm kidding but I don't think that sticking with Pittman and Pierce as a starting combo in the seasons ahead will be good enough. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Second time:   You were called out because you admitted you called Pierce a bust the night the Colts drafted him.    That you hated him and didn’t like the pick.   You wanted Pickens who wasn’t even available to the Colts when they picked 53rd.   He went to Pittsburgh with the 52nd pick. 

It doesn’t even occur to you Pierce has had only one game with a decent amount of targets.   That part of the problem is AR who is learning how to read defenses and some of the play calling.  Wayne has already admitted they need to do a better job getting Pierce more opportunities.  

He Is A Bust. I don't care how you want to continue to spin it. Take your hogwash to another time zone.

I don't know who you keep trying to convince here, but I think I know.

You need some :help:

Either that or you just like to hear yourself pretend like you know what you're talking about. I don't care if Reggie Waynes grandmother says to get him the ball, he's a BUST that won't be in canton.

Mister "he's the beat you over the top with speed guy" can't gain separation. Mister out here to "win the contest/go up and get the ball over the defender guy" can't even secure a pass that was perfectly in his hands in a crucial part of the game against the rams. 

He's not good. Move on. Take your little ghost that could and go haunt another house! 

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

He Is A Bust. I don't care how you want to continue to spin it. Take your hogwash to another time zone.

I don't know who you keep trying to convince here, but I think I know.

You need some :help:

Either that or you just like to hear yourself pretend like you know what you're talking about. I don't care if Reggie Waynes grandmother says to get him the ball, he's a BUST that won't be in canton.

Mister "he's the beat you over the top with speed guy" can't gain separation. Mister out here to "win the contest/go up and get the ball over the defender guy" can't even secure a pass that was perfectly in his hands in a crucial part of the game against the rams. 

He's not good. Move on. Take your little ghost that could and go haunt another house! 

The funniest part about what you wrote is that you honestly believe it.    It’s nonsense.    You were wrong the first time you wrote this (draft night 2022) and it’s been wrong every time since then.   

But good for you,  you believe your own viewpoint no matter what.   Carry on.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The funniest part about what you wrote is that you honestly believe it.    It’s nonsense.    You were wrong the first time you wrote this (draft night 2022) and it’s been wrong every time since then.   

But good for you,  you believe your own viewpoint no matter what.   Carry on.  

The bolded applies to each of us. Heck, it applies to anyone's opinion. 

I think honestly what gets lost on you, like many others here is just the common sense of it in simple terms.

It's the Jack Doyle argument. There are a lot on here that believes Jack Doyle was a great player. The obvious is that Jack Doyle is a very good player or else he would not have played in the NFL at all.  Same applies to Pierce, but that's as far as it goes. That is what should be an obvious given.

With that said though, Jack Doyle still sucks. Did he make a catch every once in a blue moon that kept a drive alive or aided in a team positive progression in a clutch moment? Yes. But at the end of that day, he had a 3 target or less per game average over the lifespan of his career. That means he was NEVER really in the gameplan from the point of catching the ball. He might have been an awesome blocker, but that's irrelevant where my argument has always laid. 

Players that are viewed or trusted to make plays always get larger roles in the gameplan.

This is where AP comes in. Is he sometimes used as a decoy? Who cares. He shouldn't be because every coach in the league knows he sucks and he doesn't scare you, but I digress. Is he a good blocker? Who knows. Who cares.

This team has a major need at skill positions who make plays that lead to points, especially WRs and Alec Pierce should know this. Meaning that he's had, and he's currently got an excellent chance of filling that void, yet he is a no show and when he has been given the opportunity THIS YEAR, to date, he has been terrible. <Facts

But tying Pierce together with Jack Doyle, it's not, as you say, AR getting accustomed to reading defenses that's been Pierce's problem. That is total garbage. But Pierce's problem does fall right into your own words regarding Reggie Wayne, and I quote. Wayne admitted that the Colts need to get Pierce more opportunities. <<<Hello?? Obvious alert!!

Alec Pierce is not a part of the gameplan. Hence why he needs more opportunities and yet if Alec pierce was such an awesome player with so much promise and ceiling, wouldn't you believe that those opportunities would've already been given from a HOF WR himself? or is it just Pierce is so great that he's getting double and triple teamed while no one is really looking. 

You think Ballard and Steichen think there is a WR issue with this team currently? I know I do, have been saying it for years, but do you think they do?

You for one are always quick to believe the press junk, so it seems that the Colts were wanting to upgrade the WR room doesn't it, while trying to trade JT? You know Waddle and Watson or is the press junk only correct when it applies to an argument you are trying to win?

How many 4 receiver sets have you seen the Colts run lately? :thinking:. Seriously. How many? Come on old self-proclaimed guru of knowing what the Colts front office wants to do. What's the answer? Is it that their secret plan is to run 4 receiver sets but can't without a 4th receiver?

So, let's just play devil's advocate and say the Colts did make a trade and got Watson from the Packers for JT.

You think it was going to be Watson, Pierce, and Downs or Mackensie? :lol:

Or maybe Watson, Pittman, and Pierce was going to play the slot. :funny:

Come on. Who's the odd man out here? 

Pierce is a bust and they know it. Heck, everybody knows it except of course the all-knowing California guy who loves to throw out facts and chastise all who doesn't use facts all while never seeing real facts right in front of his face.

Yeah, and what I've been saying is nonsense... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think honestly what gets lost on you, like many others here is just the common sense of it in simple terms.

It's the Jack Doyle argument. There are a lot on here that believes Jack Doyle was a great player. The obvious is that Jack Doyle is a very good player or else he would not have played in the NFL at all.  Same applies to Pierce, but that's as far as it goes. That is what should be an obvious given.

With that said though, Jack Doyle still sucks. Did he make a catch every once in a blue moon that kept a drive alive or aided in a team positive progression in a clutch moment? Yes. But at the end of that day, he had a 3 target or less per game average over the lifespan of his career. That means he was NEVER really in the gameplan from the point of catching the ball. He might have been an awesome blocker, but that's irrelevant where my argument has always laid. 

Players that are viewed or trusted to make plays always get larger roles in the gameplan.

This is where AP comes in. Is he sometimes used as a decoy? Who cares. He shouldn't be because every coach in the league knows he sucks and he doesn't scare you, but I digress. Is he a good blocker? Who knows. Who cares.

This team has a major need at skill positions who make plays that lead to points, especially WRs and Alec Pierce should know this. Meaning that he's had, and he's currently got an excellent chance of filling that void, yet he is a no show and when he has been given the opportunity THIS YEAR, to date, he has been terrible. <Facts

But tying Pierce together with Jack Doyle, it's not, as you say, AR getting accustomed to reading defenses that's been Pierce's problem. That is total garbage. But Pierce's problem does fall right into your own words regarding Reggie Wayne, and I quote. Wayne admitted that the Colts need to get Pierce more opportunities. <<<Hello?? Obvious alert!!

Alec Pierce is not a part of the gameplan. Hence why he needs more opportunities and yet if Alec pierce was such an awesome player with so much promise and ceiling, wouldn't you believe that those opportunities would've already been given from a HOF WR himself? or is it just Pierce is so great that he's getting double and triple teamed while no one is really looking. 

You think Ballard and Steichen think there is a WR issue with this team currently? I know I do, have been saying it for years, but do you think they do?

You for one are always quick to believe the press junk, so it seems that the Colts were wanting to upgrade the WR room doesn't it, while trying to trade JT? You know Waddle and Watson or is the press junk only correct when it applies to an argument you are trying to win?

How many 4 receiver sets have you seen the Colts run lately? :thinking:. Seriously. How many? Come on old self-proclaimed guru of knowing what the Colts front office wants to do. What's the answer? Is it that their secret plan is to run 4 receiver sets but can't without a 4th receiver?

So, let's just play devil's advocate and say the Colts did make a trade and got Watson from the Packers for JT.

Pierce is a bust and they know it. Heck, everybody knows it except of course the all-knowing California guy who loves to throw out facts and chastise all who doesn't use facts all while never seeing real facts right in front of his face.

Good lord.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Pierce could get traded tomorrow and that wouldn’t make him a bust.    It would simply mean he’s no longer a good fit in the system Steichen runs.   You toss around the word bust way way too easily.  

The NFL world where a rookie WR catches 41 passes for 594 yards, a 14.5 average is a bust simply doesn’t exist.  Period.   That’s Pierce’s numbers for his rookie year. There isn’t a “yah but” response for that.

Pierce isn’t getting enough looks because the Colts are running plays to get the ball out of AR’s hand as soon as possible.   The Colts have to do more to get him involved.  Wayne wasn’t saying anything bad about Pierce, that’s just the way your mind works.  Remember you freely admitted you hated the Pierce pick the night of the draft.   And you weren’t even talking to me.  

Oh, and Jack Doyle SUCKS?    You seriously believe that?    Hey, you’re entitled to any opinion you want, but I’d be embarrassed to admit that publicly.  That’s a fans viewpoint, nothing more.   Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

@Indeee You lost me when you said Doyle sucks.

Do you realize we’re still trying to find a TE who could do what he did?

I understand your argument, you have a right to your opinion.   I’ll leave it (and this thread) at that.  

With all respect to you and anyone right now, do you even know what you said? 

You honestly believe the Colts have been trying to find a TE who could do what Doyle did? The Colts haven't had a true playmaking TE since Dallas Clark. So, you truly believe the Colts have been trying to find a TE to replace a guy who averaged 1.5 catches a game. Seriously? Or do you mean from an overall position where blocking was more of his thing. A utility guy who went out there and was a good soldier for the team because that is not relevant to my position. 

I don't think any of the people who seem to want to argue with me even reads what I write. I even bolded it. 

I said Doyle sucks from a position of catching passes. Meaning he was not a productive pass catcher unless you believe catching 1.5 passes a game is productive. He wasn't in the gameplan from a pass catching standpoint. He was always a true last resort or late read most of the time. I don't care about what else Doyle did for the team. My argument lies that he was not a productive skill position player. I don't care if he was an above average blocker or whatever, that's not what I'm talking about.

Same goes for Pierce. He's a JAG. He makes no impact on the game with where he stands right now. Zero. Impact. That is my point. Pierce is the equivalent to getting to round 6 of your fantasy draft and realizing you haven't focused on your Wr's so you just take best available. Sometimes it might work out, most times it doesn't. If your focused on WR's more, Pierce doesn't even enter into your zip code other than a late round flier with no expectation. This guy was taken in the 3rd. Coming out most had Pierce as a boom or bust prospect. At this point he is a total bust. What Impact has he truly had on this team. Where is the boom aside from the implosion of disappointment. <Facts!

This team needs impact players. Not more years of hoping a bunch of bums get better. I get where some want to still give chances and wait sees as that's all we have so why not. I mean yea, at this moment he's all we have. It's one thing to hope, and also realize that the player just isn't that good, but you got people like @NewColtsFan who want to continuously make excuses and preach innuendos for a bunch of bums and a GM instead of just saying yea, I hope he gets better, but he's looking like the lights might be too bright for him. <This is a more realistic sense of the situation, but the above-mentioned forum member gets off on having everyone believe he's the smartest guy in the room and he's far from it. He will never be realistic from a fan point of view because then his whole narrative is exposed as a leaky boat and that would mean his whole foundational arguments don't hold water and he'd end up sinking down here with the rest of us. God forbid that ever happens. 

If Pierce gets better and I'm wrong, so be it. I will gladly be wrong, but all signs are pointing away from that. The bust meter is filling up and the Colts making plays for receivers tells you that. I think most get upset with me because I'm a quick trigger on some players. I get that is not a good look sometimes but it's right on point with this guy and yes, I knew it on draft night. 

He's a bust until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

With all respect to you and anyone right now, do you even know what you said? 

You honestly believe the Colts have been trying to find a TE who could do what Doyle did? The Colts haven't had a true playmaking TE since Dallas Clark. So, you truly believe the Colts have been trying to find a TE to replace a guy who averaged 1.5 catches a game. Seriously? Or do you mean from an overall position where blocking was more of his thing. A utility guy who went out there and was a good soldier for the team because that is not relevant to my position. 

I don't think any of the people who seem to want to argue with me even reads what I write. I even bolded it. 

I said Doyle sucks from a position of catching passes. Meaning he was not a productive pass catcher unless you believe catching 1.5 passes a game is productive. He wasn't in the gameplan from a pass catching standpoint. He was always a true last resort or late read most of the time. I don't care about what else Doyle did for the team. My argument lies that he was not a productive skill position player. I don't care if he was an above average blocker or whatever, that's not what I'm talking about.

Same goes for Pierce. He's a JAG. He makes no impact on the game with where he stands right now. Zero. Impact. That is my point. Pierce is the equivalent to getting to round 6 of your fantasy draft and realizing you haven't focused on your Wr's so you just take best available. Sometimes it might work out, most times it doesn't. If your focused on WR's more, Pierce doesn't even enter into your zip code other than a late round flier with no expectation. This guy was taken in the 3rd. Coming out most had Pierce as a boom or bust prospect. At this point he is a total bust. What Impact has he truly had on this team. Where is the boom aside from the implosion of disappointment. <Facts!

This team needs impact players. Not more years of hoping a bunch of bums get better. I get where some want to still give chances and wait sees as that's all we have so why not. I mean yea, at this moment he's all we have. It's one thing to hope, and also realize that the player just isn't that good, but you got people like @NewColtsFan who want to continuously make excuses and preach innuendos for a bunch of bums and a GM instead of just saying yea, I hope he gets better, but he's looking like the lights might be too bright for him. <This is a more realistic sense of the situation, but the above-mentioned forum member gets off on having everyone believe he's the smartest guy in the room and he's far from it. He will never be realistic from a fan point of view because then his whole narrative is exposed as a leaky boat and that would mean his whole foundational arguments don't hold water and he'd end up sinking down here with the rest of us. God forbid that ever happens. 

If Pierce gets better and I'm wrong, so be it. I will gladly be wrong, but all signs are pointing away from that. The bust meter is filling up and the Colts making plays for receivers tells you that. I think most get upset with me because I'm a quick trigger on some players. I get that is not a good look sometimes but it's right on point with this guy and yes, I knew it on draft night. 

He's a bust until proven otherwise. 

Goodness gracious, what are you talking about?    And where are you getting your stats?     1.5 receptions per game?   Huh?

Here are Doyle’s career numbers:

Games played:

Games started:

Career receptions:

So if you divide the catches by games played the average catches per game is 2.25.    If you divide the catches by games started, the average is 3.5.   If you were still unhappy with either of those and wanted the average of both, the number is 2.5.    So, where you got 1.5 is a complete mystery.  It’s false and misleading at best.  But all of those numbers are better than your 1.5

And why are you comparing Jack Doyle to Dallas Clark?   Who does that?   The Colts gave Manning a great pass catching TE and used a first round pick to do it.  Jack Doyle was an un-drafted free agent.  The Colts claimed him off waivers and it took him 4 years to become a starter.   But his strength was as a blocker which is what the Colts wanted.  And he became a 2x Pro Bowler.   But, by all means, compare the two and convince yourself you’re making a fair argument.   More Nonsense.

Again, 42 catches for 594 yards and a 14.5 avg is not a bust.  Period.   And only a fan says a player is a bust until he proves otherwise is the view of a hater.   You make arguments based on hate.  They’re not hard to prove false. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goodness gracious, what are you talking about?    And where are you getting your stats?     1.5 receptions per game?   Huh?

Here are Doyle’s career numbers:

Games played:

Games started:

Career receptions:

So if you divide the catches by games played the average catches per game is 2.25.    If you divide the catches by games started, the average is 3.5.   If you were still unhappy with either of those and wanted the average of both, the number is 2.5.    So, where you got 1.5 is a complete mystery.  It’s false and misleading at best.  But all of those numbers are better than your 1.5

And why are you comparing Jack Doyle to Dallas Clark?   Who does that?   The Colts gave Manning a great pass catching TE and used a first round pick to do it.  Jack Doyle was an un-drafted free agent.  The Colts claimed him off waivers and it took him 4 years to become a starter.   But his strength was as a blocker which is what the Colts wanted.  And he became a 2x Pro Bowler.   But, by all means, compare the two and convince yourself you’re making a fair argument.   More Nonsense.

Again, 42 catches for 594 yards and a 14.5 avg is not a bust.  Period.   And only a fan says a player is a bust until he proves otherwise is the view of a hater.   You make arguments based on hate.  They’re not hard to prove false. 

I realize that it was I who inserted the per game average in the first place, so it is on me for missing 1 catch per game, however...

So, what if I said 1.5 instead of 2.5. You're seriously going to hang your hat on 1 more catch per game average? From a pass catching standpoint that is still terrible. It's putrid. 

You are a nitpicker and borderline petty. You seem to go out your way most times to prove your own worth to everyone here instead of realizing that both sides on here are normally equally correct or at very least close in their assertions of players. It's one thing to be a stickler for getting the info right, but it's another to believe that the said info is the only factor in the story telling, because it's not. The eye or smell test does hold a lot of weight most times with everything in life. Pierce, if released tomorrow, may not turn out to be a true bust and might have great success with another team, however that wouldn't take away from him being a bust with this team. Isn't that what we all are ultimately aways talking about here? This team. 

My point has always been that these players that I feel are busts are only busts IMO from the sense that they are not consistent impact players. We can differ on what we consider a bust to be all day. It does not take away from the fact that the two players used in these examples were not impact players on a consistent basis for this team. Doyle was most certainly not and Pierce at this point most certainly is not. You can give any reason you want to as to why but that doesn't change the fact that Pierce has no impact on the game from a "catching the ball" phase and neither did Doyle, consistently week in and week out.

Do players like Doyle and Pierce occasionally make plays that might impact a game in the moment? Absolutely, however that is not what this team or fan base should be ultimately looking for. The Colts need consistency from their players. So, the moments can stop being habitually loathed and become more habitually celebrated.

You are also overlooking the fact that I have stated all along that I am hoping I am wrong about Pierce as an impactful player as me being wrong about him would ultimately be helping a team that I root for who is in desperate need of impact players at the skill positions or at very least players who can get consistently open and put themselves in position to help a young QB so that said young QB doesn't have to think he has to run to make plays every drop back because there's nobody open. This we should at least agree with.

Pierce has yet to do this. Based on what I have seen so far, without giving consideration to any little reason to as to why he has yet to show up consistently, it doesn't take the smartest guy in the room to figure out something just isn't quite right here in regards to the player and to me, it's that little shred of intuition of something missing that put this guy originally in the boom or bust category coming out of college from those who actually studied his game much more than you or I.

This is why I'm more apt to believe he is going to bust then boom, although I'm hoping I'm wrong.

On to week 5

33 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I realize that it was I who inserted the per game average in the first place, so it is on me for missing 1 catch per game, however...

So, what if I said 1.5 instead of 2.5. You're seriously going to hang your hat on 1 more catch per game average? From a pass catching standpoint that is still terrible. It's putrid. 

You are a nitpicker and borderline petty. You seem to go out your way most times to prove your own worth to everyone here instead of realizing that both sides on here are normally equally correct or at very least close in their assertions of players. It's one thing to be a stickler for getting the info right, but it's another to believe that the said info is the only factor in the story telling, because it's not. The eye or smell test does hold a lot of weight most times with everything in life. Pierce, if released tomorrow, may not turn out to be a true bust and might have great success with another team, however that wouldn't take away from him being a bust with this team. Isn't that what we all are ultimately aways talking about here? This team. 

My point has always been that these players that I feel are busts are only busts IMO from the sense that they are not consistent impact players. We can differ on what we consider a bust to be all day. It does not take away from the fact that the two players used in these examples were not impact players on a consistent basis for this team. Doyle was most certainly not and Pierce at this point most certainly is not. You can give any reason you want to as to why but that doesn't change the fact that Pierce has no impact on the game from a "catching the ball" phase and neither did Doyle, consistently week in and week out.

Do players like Doyle and Pierce occasionally make plays that might impact a game in the moment? Absolutely, however that is not what this team or fan base should be ultimately looking for. The Colts need consistency from their players. So, the moments can stop being habitually loathed and become more habitually celebrated.

You are also overlooking the fact that I have stated all along that I am hoping I am wrong about Pierce as an impactful player as me being wrong about him would ultimately be helping a team that I root for who is in desperate need of impact players at the skill positions or at very least players who can get consistently open and put themselves in position to help a young QB so that said young QB doesn't have to think he has to run to make plays every drop back because there's nobody open. This we should at least agree with.

Pierce has yet to do this. Based on what I have seen so far, without giving consideration to any little reason to as to why he has yet to show up consistently, it doesn't take the smartest guy in the room to figure out something just isn't quite right here in regards to the player and to me, it's that little shred of intuition of something missing that put this guy originally in the boom or bust category coming out of college from those who actually studied his game much more than you or I.

This is why I'm more apt to believe he is going to bust then boom, although I'm hoping I'm wrong.

On to week 5

A lot of people nitpick on here, you should know that by now. Several people in here think I am Justin Herbert hater (they read want they want to read and nitpick it), because I have him rated the 7th best QB in the league and not in the top 5. Like 7 sucks or something Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons, 7 is actually very good. He just hasn't won enough for my taste. Another example is when I did my all-time QB list, I had Brady 1, Montana 2, and Peyton 3. I have Peyton 3rd out of over 1,000's of QB's that have started in the history this league, and some think I am hater. My all-time top 5 QB list is agreed upon by around 90% of the media at ESPN and the NFL Network. I have - #4 is Mahomes, #5 is Unitas. Mahomes doesn't have the longevity as many of the other greats but his accomplishments are overwhelming in 5 seasons. My eye test says he is 4. He has as many SB wins as Elway and more League MVP's than Elway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pierce could get traded tomorrow and that wouldn’t make him a bust.    It would simply mean he’s no longer a good fit in the system Steichen runs.   You toss around the word bust way way too easily.  

The NFL world where a rookie WR catches 41 passes for 594 yards, a 14.5 average is a bust simply doesn’t exist.  Period.   That’s Pierce’s numbers for his rookie year. There isn’t a “yah but” response for that.

Pierce isn’t getting enough looks because the Colts are running plays to get the ball out of AR’s hand as soon as possible.   The Colts have to do more to get him involved.  Wayne wasn’t saying anything bad about Pierce, that’s just the way your mind works.  Remember you freely admitted you hated the Pierce pick the night of the draft.   And you weren’t even talking to me.  

Oh, and Jack Doyle SUCKS?    You seriously believe that?    Hey, you’re entitled to any opinion you want, but I’d be embarrassed to admit that publicly.  That’s a fans viewpoint, nothing more.   Sorry. 

This past game, in the second half, is where they actually opened up the playbook, and one of those big plays was to Pierce, on one of his two targets.  He'll get more opportunities to "bust" or shine, in the upcoming games.  Like the other poster said, we all have opinions.  I'm in the opinion of he's still growing, has been a bit disappointing in some aspects of making tough catches, but will continue to grow, and can still make big plays down field.

• Thanks 2

Friendos...

I have been called out for saying that AP was a wasted 2022 2nd round pick. Let's see if I turn out to be right.

This is a running weekly tab on how many games the real ghost, aka Alec Pierce, disappears.  

Week Five: CHECK

Week 6: 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week 6: 

Why don’t you follow his example?

Friendos...

Week 6: CHECK

Week 7:

On 10/2/2023 at 7:32 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Ah, the excuses you make for Pierce are pure gold.  At this point, he's a bust.  No getting around it.  And good luck on actually trading Pierce to any team.  No team in their right mind would even trade for him.  He gets no separation, drops too many passes , can't make the catch if he gets hit in the slightest.  He has no TDs and 149  total yards in 6 games.  Somehow it's everyone else's fault but his, though.  Keep riding that train, though.  We know you're always right.  You will seriously stand firm on a sinking ship until it reaches the bottom of the ocean rather than admit that you were wrong.  Dude could be cut with no other teams picking him up, and you still wouldn't admit that you're wrong.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kymd82222 said:

Ah, the excuses you make for Pierce are pure gold.  At this point, he's a bust.  No getting around it.  And good luck on actually trading Pierce to any team.  No team in their right mind would even trade for him.  He gets no separation, drops too many passes , can't make the catch if he gets hit in the slightest.  He has no TDs and 149  total yards in 6 games.  Somehow it's everyone else's fault but his, though.  Keep riding that train, though.  We know you're always right.  You will seriously stand firm on a sinking ship until it reaches the bottom of the ocean rather than admit that you were wrong.  Dude could be cut with no other teams picking him up, and you still wouldn't admit that you're wrong.  

One of us responded with mostly facts.  The other responded with mostly opinion.  

I’ll take my facts over your point of view all day, every day.   But thanks anyway.  

And by the way, I’m wrong plenty and have always said since I arrived here 12 years ago. 

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of us responded with mostly facts.  The other responded with mostly opinion.  

I’ll take my facts over your point of view all day, every day.   But thanks anyway.  

And by the way, I’m wrong plenty and have always said since I arrived here 12 years ago. 

You aren’t going to like this but his post including facts about Alec’s lack of production.  You don’t own the market on facts so stop acting like it please.  You go to that line way too often when others include facts that you just tend to over look because they don’t support your argument.  

For the record I agree it’s too soon to give up on Alec.  I want him to produce and be better because that’s good for the Colts.  However, the facts are he’s not.  The numbers back it up.  Pittman and Downs are doing laps around him in terms overall production this year.  

Pittman:  40 catches on 60 targets for 406 yards 1 TD an average of 10.2, 4 catches of 25 yards or more and an average of 67.7 ypg

Downs:  28 catches on 41 targets for 276 yards 1 TD an average of 9.9, 3 catches of 25 yards or more and an average of 46 ypg.

Pierce:  11 catches on 22 targets for 149 yards 0 TD an average of 13.6, 1 catch of 25 yards or more and average of 24.8 ypg.  

The only thing Alec has on them is catch average and that doesn’t mean anything when you are averaging less than two catches per game and are so far behind them in the other numbers.  

You might be interested to know that Kyle Granson’s numbers are slightly better than him across the board.  Unless you have a tightend like Travis Kelce, which Granson is not, your number two WR should not be out produced by the the tightend.  Not only that he’s being way out produced by the slot WR who is getting fewer snaps than him because he comes out when they go to a two WR set.  Heck Zack Moss, who is a running back played one less game than him and the last two weeks has shared snaps with Taylor has more catches than him.  That’s concerning and that’s all based on numbers.

Now why is this?  The TV broadcast highlighted Alec’s inability to get open today on several plays.  It’s not that the Colts aren’t throwing deep.  Pittman and Downs have been getting targets down the field and making the catches when the Colts take those shots.  Also, the fact Alec has only 22 targets and has only caught half of them suggests he’s having trouble getting open.   

Again I like Alec and stand by his injury is concerning because the Colts have no one close to better than him behind him and no one near his potential on the bench.  Still for a second round pick he has failed to live up to expectations so far.  You can’t write him off, Reggie Wayne is proof of that, but until he does step up it’s fair to express concern about his lack of production and it’s time to acknowledge his lack of production.

• Like 1

Nah I’m believing it too now. Pierce is trash. He’s soft and stiff as hell. Out of all our receivers, he’s got to be the worst at getting open. He’ll catch 1 big catch a game and then disappear.

I watched the Florida State receiver on Saturday make a one handed catch in the middle of the field, and take a shot doing it. That’s what we need. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nah I’m believing it too now. Pierce is trash. He’s soft and stiff as hell. Out of all our receivers, he’s got to be the worst at getting open. He’ll catch 1 big catch a game and then disappear.

I watched the Florida State receiver on Saturday make a one handed catch in the middle of the field, and take a shot doing it. That’s what we need. 

Keon Coleman.  I mentioned him earlier today as a more realistic possible WR target in this draft than Marvin jr.  He’s currently mocked to go in the middle of round one which is probably where the Colts will pick.  For the record even if Pierce starts to perform and the Colts re-sign Pittman they need more depth at WR.  They pretty much have three NFL level WRs IMO and one of them is seriously lacking in production so they need help at the position.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You aren’t going to like this but his post including facts about Alec’s lack of production.  You don’t own the market on facts so stop acting like it please.  You go to that line way too often when others include facts that you just tend to over look because they don’t support your argument.  

For the record I agree it’s too soon to give up on Alec.  I want him to produce and be better because that’s good for the Colts.  However, the facts are he’s not.  The numbers back it up.  Pittman and Downs are doing laps around him in terms overall production this year.  

Pittman:  40 catches on 60 targets for 406 yards 1 TD an average of 10.2, 4 catches of 25 yards or more and an average of 67.7 ypg

Downs:  28 catches on 41 targets for 276 yards 1 TD an average of 9.9, 3 catches of 25 yards or more and an average of 46 ypg.

Pierce:  11 catches on 22 targets for 149 yards 0 TD an average of 13.6, 1 catch of 25 yards or more and average of 24.8 ypg.  

The only thing Alec has on them is catch average and that doesn’t mean anything when you are averaging less than two catches per game and are so far behind them in the other numbers.  

You might be interested to know that Kyle Granson’s numbers are slightly better than him across the board.  Unless you have a tightend like Travis Kelce, which Granson is not, your number two WR should not be out produced by the the tightend.  Not only that he’s being way out produced by the slot WR who is getting fewer snaps than him because he comes out when they go to a two WR set.  Heck Zack Moss, who is a running back played one less game than him and the last two weeks has shared snaps with Taylor has more catches than him.  That’s concerning and that’s all based on numbers.

Now why is this?  The TV broadcast highlighted Alec’s inability to get open today on several plays.  It’s not that the Colts aren’t throwing deep.  Pittman and Downs have been getting targets down the field and making the catches when the Colts take those shots.  Also, the fact Alec has only 22 targets and has only caught half of them suggests he’s having trouble getting open.   

Again I like Alec and stand by his injury is concerning because the Colts have no one close to better than him behind him and no one near his potential on the bench.  Still for a second round pick he has failed to live up to expectations so far.  You can’t write him off, Reggie Wayne is proof of that, but until he does step up it’s fair to express concern about his lack of production and it’s time to acknowledge his lack of production.

I think you overlooked a key word I made sure to use….  mostly.   I mostly used facts vs his mostly using opinions.   

And even his response was opinion.   The Colts couldn't trade Pierce if they tried.  I seriously doubt you believe that.   

As for Pierce’s lack of production, even Reggie Wayne said recently the team had to do a better job of using him in the offense.   And as I’m reading the threads tonight,  all I’m seeing is people talking about how fast and short our passing game was today.   Those don’t sound like routes for Pierce.   It’s not that I don’t have concerns about Pierce.  They’re just not to the same extent as some others here. 

Finally, I appreciate your outreach with me recently.   It’s been noted and appreciated.  I’m sorry I couldn’t find more common ground in this exchange.  

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you overlooked a key word I made sure to use….  mostly.   I mostly used facts vs his mostly using opinions.   

And even his response was opinion.   The Colts couldn't trade Pierce if they tried.  I seriously doubt you believe that.   

As for Pierce’s lack of production, even Reggie Wayne said recently the team had to do a better job of using him in the offense.   And as I’m reading the threads tonight,  all I’m seeing is people talking about how fast and short our passing game was today.   Those don’t sound like routes for Pierce.   It’s not that I don’t have concerns about Pierce.  They’re just not to the same extent as some others here. 

Finally, I appreciate your outreach with me recently.   It’s been noted and appreciated.  I’m sorry I couldn’t find more common ground in this exchange.  

Sure, they could trade him for what, a 6th round pick? 5th round if they're lucky? No one is going to give anything better than that, so what's the point? At some point it's Pierce's responsibility that he's not producing.  There's instability at the QB position , but like GoColts said, MPJ and Downs are blowing Pierce's numbers out of the water, and it's not Downs is putting up earth shattering numbers either.  Even when we have run deep routes that Pierce should excel in, he's had a lot of drops, and is still barely getting any type of separation. He also isn't someone that you can count on to bring in tough catches like you can with MPJ, especially if he's getting hit by a DB. 

Also, since Reggie Wayne has been brought up a lot when comparing his early numbers to Pierce - in Reggie's rookie season Peyton had a #1 that had 109 catches and about 1500 yards and 15 TDs, and a veteran TE that had close to 800 yards.  Coming in as a rookie, Reggie was not going to be that second option like we desperately NEED Pierce to be.  If you want facts , they've been given to you, but you don't like those facts. In Reggie's second year, he had 716 yards and 4 TDs, which absolutely destroys what Pierce is on pace for. (And the league isn't nearly as pass happy as it is now, and one less game played, by the way) And again, that's with Peyton's #1 WR accounting for over 1700 yards, 143 catches, and 15 TDs, as well as having a pass catching RB and TE.  During Reggie's second year, people were starting to predict how good he was going to be.  He had amazing hands, created great separation, and could catch the ball in traffic.  Some of us were actually fans before Andrew Luck and remember those years well.  Comparing the promise and potential that Wayne was showing to the disappointment that is Pierce is utterly ridiculous at this point unless Pierce makes a massive turn around.  Seriously, I've seen the charts where you compare Wayne's and even Harrison's early years to Pierce, and it's absolutely laughable.  If you had actually been watching back then, you wouldn't be doing that. Even so, since you supposedly love facts - Harrison never caught less than 6TDS or less than 776 yards in any of his first three years, so I have no idea why you'd ever compare his early years with Pierce, like I've seen you do.  

The Colts NEED Pierce to be that #2 next to MPJ.  It's not like MPJ is catching 150 balls and 1700 yards and there's just not enough yards to go around like there was in Wayne's early years.  We desperately need him to step up and he can't do it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Sure, they could trade him for what, a 6th round pick? 5th round if they're lucky? No one is going to give anything better than that, so what's the point? At some point it's Pierce's responsibility that he's not producing.  There's instability at the QB position , but like GoColts said, MPJ and Downs are blowing Pierce's numbers out of the water, and it's not Downs is putting up earth shattering numbers either.  Even when we have run deep routes that Pierce should excel in, he's had a lot of drops, and is still barely getting any type of separation. He also isn't someone that you can count on to bring in tough catches like you can with MPJ, especially if he's getting hit by a DB. 

Also, since Reggie Wayne has been brought up a lot when comparing his early numbers to Pierce - in Reggie's rookie season Peyton had a #1 that had 109 catches and about 1500 yards and 15 TDs, and a veteran TE that had close to 800 yards.  Coming in as a rookie, Reggie was not going to be that second option like we desperately NEED Pierce to be.  If you want facts , they've been given to you, but you don't like those facts. In Reggie's second year, he had 716 yards and 4 TDs, which absolutely destroys what Pierce is on pace for. (And the league isn't nearly as pass happy as it is now, and one less game played, by the way) And again, that's with Peyton's #1 WR accounting for over 1700 yards, 143 catches, and 15 TDs, as well as having a pass catching RB and TE.  During Reggie's second year, people were starting to predict how good he was going to be.  He had amazing hands, created great separation, and could catch the ball in traffic.  Some of us were actually fans before Andrew Luck and remember those years well.  Comparing the promise and potential that Wayne was showing to the disappointment that is Pierce is utterly ridiculous at this point unless Pierce makes a massive turn around.  Seriously, I've seen the charts where you compare Wayne's and even Harrison's early years to Pierce, and it's absolutely laughable.  If you had actually been watching back then, you wouldn't be doing that. 

The Colts NEED Pierce to be that #2 next to MPJ.  It's not like MPJ is catching 150 balls and 1700 yards and there's just not enough yards to go around like there was in Wayne's early years.  We desperately need him to step up and he can't do it.  

Reggie Wayne also wasn’t the number two WR his first couple of years in Indy.  Qadry Ismail was.  When the Colts let him go after unproductive 2002 season and gave Reggie the number two job Reggie took off and the rest as they say is history.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reggie Wayne also wasn’t the number two WR his first couple of years in Indy.  Qadry Ismail was.  When the Colts let him go after unproductive 2002 season and gave Reggie the number two job Reggie took off and the rest as they say is history.

Exactly

36 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Also, since Reggie Wayne has been brought up a lot when comparing his early numbers to Pierce - in Reggie's rookie season Peyton had a #1 that had 109 catches and about 1500 yards and 15 TDs, and a veteran TE that had close to 800 yards.  Coming in as a rookie, Reggie was not going to be that second option like we desperately NEED Pierce to be.  If you want facts , they've been given to you, but you don't like those facts. In Reggie's second year, he had 716 yards and 4 TDs, which absolutely destroys what Pierce is on pace for. (And the league isn't nearly as pass happy as it is now, and one less game played, by the way) And again, that's with Peyton's #1 WR accounting for over 1700 yards, 143 catches, and 15 TDs, as well as having a pass catching RB and TE.  During Reggie's second year, people were starting to predict how good he was going to be.  He had amazing hands, created great separation, and could catch the ball in traffic.  Some of us were actually fans before Andrew Luck and remember those years well.  Comparing the promise and potential that Wayne was showing to the disappointment that is Pierce is utterly ridiculous at this point unless Pierce makes a massive turn around.  Seriously, I've seen the charts where you compare Wayne's and even Harrison's early years to Pierce, and it's absolutely laughable.  If you had actually been watching back then, you wouldn't be doing that. Even so, since you supposedly love facts - Harrison never caught less than 6TDS or less than 776 yards in any of his first three years, so I have no idea why you'd ever compare his early years with Pierce, like I've seen you do.  

I think you have mistaken me for someone else.   Seriously.   Honestly.   

Never once have I compared Pierce to Reggie Wayne.   Why would anyone?   Reggie is a Hall of Fame level talent.  Pierce is clearly not.  And never once have I combusted Pierce with Marvin Harrison.  Same argument as Wayne.  And I don’t use charts.   I don’t link from my phone, so linking charts is impossible for me.   Again, I think you have me mistaken with someone else.   

And since you now say you think the Colts could get a mid-late day 3 pick for Pierce,  I don’t know why you added why bother.  Ballard loves to trade down and collect more picks.   He does so every draft.   If/when Ballard and Steichen decide to move on from Pierce they will take whatever pick they can get and try to turn it into something.   It might not seem like much to you, but it’s clearly something to Ballard.  

Again, I appreciate you and I see things differently.  But I’m confident you have me mistaken for someone else.   Because the views you think I’ve stated here I’ve never said or even thought at all.   Never.  Sorry. 

51 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brought me back some Troy Walters vibes...Lol. Hadn't thought of Qadry in years...

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Keon Coleman.  I mentioned him earlier today as a more realistic possible WR target in this draft than Marvin jr.  He’s currently mocked to go in the middle of round one which is probably where the Colts will pick.  For the record even if Pierce starts to perform and the Colts re-sign Pittman they need more depth at WR.  They pretty much have three NFL level WRs IMO and one of them is seriously lacking in production so they need help at the position.  

Eben if Pittman is brought back you need more explosion. Our receivers aren’t separating down the field, which is killing the offense. That’s the issue with Pierce. That’s supposed to be what he’s good at but he doesn’t do it enough consistently, and he’s not good at working the intermediate part of the field so he ends up being one dimensional most times. You need a guy you can line up at the X and he’ll either run past the corner or catch the 50/50 ball when it’s single coverage.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you have mistaken me for someone else.   Seriously.   Honestly.   

Never once have I compared Pierce to Reggie Wayne.   Why would anyone?   Reggie is a Hall of Fame level talent.  Pierce is clearly not.  And never once have I combusted Pierce with Marvin Harrison.  Same argument as Wayne.  And I don’t use charts.   I don’t link from my phone, so linking charts is impossible for me.   Again, I think you have me mistaken with someone else.   

And since you now say you think the Colts could get a mid-late day 3 pick for Pierce,  I don’t know why you added why bother.  Ballard loves to trade down and collect more picks.   He does so every draft.   If/when Ballard and Steichen decide to move on from Pierce they will take whatever pick they can get and try to turn it into something.   It might not seem like much to you, but it’s clearly something to Ballard.  

Again, I appreciate you and I see things differently.  But I’m confident you have me mistaken for someone else.   Because the views you think I’ve stated here I’ve never said or even thought at all.   Never.  Sorry. 

Someone here posted the first few years of Wayne's, MPJ's, and I believe Marvin Harrison's career, in order to make a point that Pierce is right on track, which isn't the case at all.  That wasn't you? If it wasn't I do sincerely apologize for getting you mixed up with someone else.  

1 hour ago, kymd82222 said:

Someone here posted the first few years of Wayne's, MPJ's, and I believe Marvin Harrison's career, in order to make a point that Pierce is right on track, which isn't the case at all.  That wasn't you? If it wasn't I do sincerely apologize for getting you mixed up with someone else.  

Not me.   But no worries.   It’s often hard to remember who wrote what and when.   

Goodness, I hate comparing anyone to Hall of Fame players.   That’s a level of greatness that most can only dream of.  

And for all of my defense of Pierce, I like him, I don’t love him.  I base my support on his rookie year, which was good, not this year which has been disappointing.   I try to be patient with young players.   I preach patience in lots of ways, so I need to use it myself.  I expect Pierce to improve.   But there’s no guarantee.  But young players typically improve and I believe in Reggie to coach him up.  Pierce has to get better this year.  He needs to and the team really needs him to.   Hoping for better days as the season progresses. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not me.   But no worries.   It’s often hard to remember who wrote what and when.   

Goodness, I hate comparing anyone to Hall of Fame players.   That’s a level of greatness that most can only dream of.  

And for all of my defense of Pierce, I like him, I don’t love him.   I try to be patient with young players.   I preach patience in lots of ways, so I need to use it myself.  I expect Pierce to improve.   But there’s no guarantee.  But young players typically improve and I believe in Reggie to coach him up.  Pierce has to get better this year.  He needs to and the team really needs him to.   Hoping for better days as the season progresses. 

There were a few people on here that just said it took Reggie Wayne 3 seasons to become good, so lets have patience with Pierce who is only in year 2. Very reasonable. In a lot of cases it does take a WR going into year 3 before they start to look good. Nobody in here was saying Pierce could be like Reggie Wayne. If they did, I missed that one.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There were a few people on here that just said it took Reggie Wayne 3 seasons to become good, so lets have patience with Pierce who is only in year 2. Very reasonable. In a lot of cases it does take a WR going into year 3 before they start to look good. Nobody in here was saying Pierce could be like Reggie Wayne. If they did, I missed that one.

Yeah….   That sounds familiar.   But it wasn’t me.  But I believe I remember reading that from another poster.   I try to read as much as I can here.  But from time to time, thread to thread, I miss some stuff.   Hey, it happens.   

• Thanks 1

Friendos...

Week 7: Partial CHECK (3 catches today on 3 targets, all decent and 1 pretty good on a key free-play spot downfield)

Week 8: 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Friendos...

Week 7: Partial CHECK (3 catches today on 3 targets, all decent and 1 pretty good on a key free-play spot downfield)

Week 8: 

"Partial check" 😂

More like no check. 

Today was what we need more of. Downs is starting to command some attention as a receiver. Pierce, for whatever reason hasn’t been able to do that yet. But having someone like Downs come along is also going to open up some opportunity for Pierce. 

Let’s see how defenses paying attention to Downs over the next few weeks changes things for Pierce. However we can open up some opportunities for him, let’s do it. 

Pierce had his best game of the season today IMO.  

still only three catches for 53 yards but he also only got three chances too.

You’d have to really go back and watch film and see why he’s not getting more targets.  You’d also have to know play calls and play designs which none of us do.  Is it he’s just not getting open?  Is it Minshew didn’t see him or made another read because someone else was more open or was supposed to be Minshew’s first read?  What was Pierce asked to do on the play?  Was he a decoy or was he asked to just “get in the defenses ways” on a pass?  

it’s a mystery that none of us can answer.  However, one thing we ALL know at the end of the day you get judged and paid on your production in this league and right now Pierce needs an uptick and in that department.