Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com win total projection by Cynthia Frelund

Solid84

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Tennessee (or Indy) had a better QB to win it all, then Taylor or Henry would have been much less relied on. They would probably be 1200 yard RBs because the QB play would carry them. I just don't see, in the modern era, a team led by a franchise RB being able to win a SB, or even make the playoffs most of the time. If we make the playoffs this year, it will be because of Richardson and Steichen IMO.

I never said a franchise should be led by RB. It is and always been a QB driven league. Having Taylor would help the team and that is a fact.

• Like 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never said a franchise should be led by RB. It is and always been a QB driven league. Having Taylor would help the team and that is a fact.

I agree with this. All I'm saying is that if we had an elite QB than the RBs usage and production would be reduced. It wouldn't be as simple as having Taylor rush for 1800 yards and our QB throw for 4500 yards in the same season. 

• Like 2

Luck probably overachieved in how many 4th quarter comebacks he made, but he put this team in a bad situation most games by starting off slow and having to comeback late. Even the Chiefs playoff game happened that way in 2013. It was a lot of fun watching it, but Luck padded his stats pretty well, and if teams played him in the 2nd half like the 1st half, Luck would have been an average or worse QB.

Jared, you seem to be describing Kirk Cousins. Luck was so much better. I remember in 2016 when everyone but Superman here thought the Vikings were going to destroy the Colts. I recall someone saying that Luck may not even make it through the game because the Colts OL was so bad that year. Luck played brilliantly with the likes of Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen chasing him. The Vikings defense was very highly rated that year. Luck destroyed them.

I would have loved Luck as my QB.

Edit:

@Jared Cisneros @2006Coltsbestever  I edited the post but I was not able to change it to show who I quoted.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I understand how Luck won those 4th quarter comebacks his rookie season, I just wasn't a fan of him consistently putting the team in a bad situation and having to work his way out of it the rest of the game. Then, people acted like it was a great thing when he got us out of the hole he put us in in the first place. I'm merely explaining the process behind why he was able to come back those games, and why I don't believe it was "clutch", and why it was more the defense played prevent, and gave him an opportunity to get back in the game because they thought the game was under control. 

As I said, Luck overachieved in those spots, but when defenses tried 100%, he underperformed a lot of the time. Call me a hater, but I always consistently said that about him, and my opinion has never wavered. 

We have to agree to disagree. To me that is a bad take. "when defenses tried 100%" he underperformed a lot of the time". When Luck had the ball in a 1 score game, defenses didn't play prevent, they were giving 100% and then some trying to win the game in the end. What you are saying is making little sense??

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Cynthia Frelund is an analytics expert. She's probably the smartest female in the business for NFL. I generally trust her for the most part as she puts pride into her work and tries to put her own unique spin on things. Having said that, I do believe that we win around 6 games this year. This year will expose Jonathan Taylor in a big way by showing he made little to no difference in the teams win total. It will show that Richardson and Steichen are ultimately more important than he was, and even with a young team with holes, a rookie QB with high potential and a rookie coach with high potential are more important than an elite RB.

We'll have ups and downs (more downs), but it'll at least be respectable to the point where the games are entertaining IMO. The coaching will actually be at a professional level (unlike Pagano and Reich) where we won't have to worry about random inconsistencies every drive. My patience is thin with this team with all the drama surrounding it, but they have a chance to win me back with their performance on the field. Actions speak louder than words, lets see if the Colts can do anything this year.

So,you are only a Colts fan if and when they are good? Just asking for a friend:D

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So,you are only a Colts fan if and when they are good? Just asking for a friend:D

I'm not going to play this game. You know good and well I'm a fan of this team. I just hate the lack of effort a lot of the time, the mediocrity, and the drama surrounding this team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think our defense is going to be better than you think, I might be wrong wouldn't be the first time, but they played hard last tyear and kept us in many games.

Regarding the division, that 1-4-1 is deceiving. We just blew 2 games against the Texans, 1 by missing a FG so it ends in a tie, then the Texans beat us on a prayer/short hailmary lmao . We really should have been 3-3. Also I think the Titans will not be as good either this year. 

I mean...technically, JAC blew the game they lost against IND cause they gave up a late TD on 3rd and 10.

But NFL games often tend to be close. I just think, for at least this upcoming season, we can't count on the AFCS for a few wins like we could in the past.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not going to play this game. You know good and well I'm a fan of this team. I just hate the lack of effort a lot of the time, the mediocrity, and the drama surrounding this team.

“The lack of effort” ?!?   

The Colts have their share of short comings,  but I’m not sure I can remember a lack of effort? 

I guess we all see the same thing differently.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

“The lack of effort” ?!?   

The Colts have their share of short comings,  but I’m not sure I can remember a lack of effort? 

I guess we all see the same thing differently.

Not all of that is from the players. Some of the lack of effort is from Ballard and Reich (when he was here). Stuff as simple as being so stubborn in your beliefs, that you refuse to change anything about yourself to where it becomes a detriment to the team. There has been a lack of effort on the field, no doubt, but half of the "lack of effort" goes toward the GM and HC for doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results and not realizing that they are the problem.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Jared, you seem to be describing Kirk Cousins. Luck was so much better. I remember in 2016 when everyone but Superman here thought the Vikings were going to destroy the Colts. I recall someone saying that Luck may not even make it through the game because the Colts OL was so bad that year. Luck played brilliantly with the likes of Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen chasing him. The Vikings defense was very highly rated that year. Luck destroyed them.

Edit:

@Jared Cisneros @2006Coltsbestever  I edited the post but I was not able to change it to show who I quoted.

I remember that game. It was a blowout. Really wish they had won the week before against HOU.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, Indyfan4life said:

I want to win every game, but I also know this will *probably* be a rough - but fun season. If we somehow draft in the top 3, I can’t imagine us NOT getting Harrison Jr. 

So for me, I’m torn. 

we should easily make top 3 in next seasons draft , but i am predicting we get the number one pick

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

we should easily make top 3 in next seasons draft , but i am predicting we get the number one pick

For what it’s worth….  Most media outlets have the Colts ranked the 4th worst.   

The worst is Arizona, (by far) then Tampa, then Houston and then Indy.    Most project the Colts to win 6-7 games.   

I just hope we win more than the patriots.  I have a bet with a pats fan.  Whoever’s team wins more games is paid a certain sum for each game won over the other’s team’s wins.   Heads up match is worth double. 

go colts! Especially in Germany 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

Number 1 pick is the floor IMO. I see us getting a top-five pick and going after Marvin Harrison Jr. That will be an Irsay decision if it happens IMO, as Ballard would probably prefer to go after an elite T.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Edit:

Luck is the best quarterback i've seen play. Would take him over mahomes, tbh

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 12:27 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? 

Steichen was on board.   But the ultimate decision came from Chris Ballard.  

Actually Irsay has spoken how the QB decision is his call.

He was so excited pre-draft he slipped about the 12th man aspect of Steichen's Philly offense.

There is no doubt in my mind Steichen sold both of them on Richardson being teachable to do it, and Excel. In the same lengthy discussion he would have explained not needing to waste big money on JT but to put the money elsewhere.

1 hour ago, AKB said:

no

When it comes to Luck, he had 4 great seasons here. 2012-2014, 2018. Some could argue and say they were very good, not great because we didn't win a SB in those years. Not a huge sample size but enough a sample size for me to say that he is the 3rd best QB in Colts history. His stats and wins will back up my opinion. He even won 4 playoff games.

1. Peyton Manning 

2. Johnny Unitas 

3. Andrew Luck is here. I have him ranked higher than Bert Jones.

Where he ranks all-time is tough. He just didn't play very long.

2 hours ago, AKB said:

Luck is the best quarterback i've seen play. Would take him over mahomes, tbh

They are different. I love Luck but I don't know if I would take him over Mahomes. But I am a huge fan of Luck.

I also loved the guy you called Noodle Arm. He was one of my favorite QBs to come out of college.  I cannot wait to see him go to the Hall. He is not first ballot but will go in eventually. Luck unfortunately will not, as he did not play long enough. Had he won a SB, Luck may have but not sure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

They are different. I love Luck but I don't know if I would take him over Mahomes. But I am a huge fan of Luck.

I also loved the guy you called Noodle Arm. He was one of my favorite QBs to come out of college.  I cannot wait to see him go to the Hall. He is not first ballot but will go in eventually. Luck unfortunately will not, as he did not play long enough. Had he won a SB, Luck may have but not sure. 

Luck imo is probably a top 40 QB of all-time. Based on just enough of a sample size with his 4 solid seasons = 2012-2014, 2018 + his talent. After about 35 QB's all-time, the list narrows down a bit. He isn't a Hall of Famer though unfortunately. Didn't play long enough. ROH, yes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lester said:

I loved Andrew Luck. Loved him. One of my favorite players. Ever.

But, No.

I love Jim Harbaugh, even got his autograph when I was young, he's in.

So yes.

Jim isn't near the QB Andrew Luck was. People may hate the way he retired but this isn't about feelings, it is about was he a very good if not great football player for this franchise. Answer is yes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I couldn't disagree more with this. Andrew Luck wasn't clutch IMO. He started off slow in the majority of games (whether it be because of a low football IQ, poor coaching, or the poor team around him), and he came back late in games because teams played the prevent defense and allowed the Colts to make comebacks late in games. Yes, Luck probably overachieved % wise in how many 4th quarter comebacks he made, but he put this team in a bad situation most games by starting off slow and having to comeback late. Even the Chiefs playoff game happened that way in 2013. It was a lot of fun watching it, but Luck padded his stats pretty well, and if teams played him in the 2nd half like the 1st half, Luck would have been an average or worse QB.

1. I agree that there were some times where Luck made bad plays and put the team in a bad situation.

At the same time, I think:

2. It's MORE likely that the team underperformed and put Luck in a bad situation.

When Luck was playing, the Colts did not have a good O-line. They had NO run game and an average to really bad defense. They also had several different offensive coordinators, so there was no continuity. The result of all of this was an overall bad team and that bad team would often find themselves behind in many games.

To his detriment, Luck was a team player. He wanted to abide by the system and allow his coaches and teammates to shine in victory. They could not. So, often Luck would have to take it upon himself to fight for first downs, just to keep drives alive. (Broncos TD drive). This would entail Luck diving and reaching for first downs or TDs while getting hit, (Chiefs Playoff Win).  This would include running through defenders to keep drives alive, otherwise they would lose. (Green Bay Miracle Game). He put his body on the line in order to win and did what was necessary when the system and the team failed him. That's what I saw as the main reason for the 4th quarter comebacks.

You could easily see a parallel universe where Luck played for a team with a great O-line, a great run game, and a stout defense, and he doesn't have to perform those 4th quarter heroics. He would still make some bonehead plays from time-to-time, as all QBs do, but maybe the team could overcome them without Luck having to ball out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

1. I agree that there were some times where Luck made bad plays and put the team in a bad situation.

At the same time, I think:

2. It's MORE likely that the team underperformed and put Luck in a bad situation.

When Luck was playing, the Colts did not have a good O-line. They had NO run game and an average to really bad defense. They also had several different offensive coordinators, so there was no continuity. The result of all of this was an overall bad team and that bad team would often find themselves behind in many games.

To his detriment, Luck was a team player. He wanted to abide by the system and allow his coaches and teammates to shine in victory. They could not. So, often Luck would have to take it upon himself to fight for first downs, just to keep drives alive. (Broncos TD drive). This would entail Luck diving and reaching for first downs or TDs while getting hit, (Chiefs Playoff Win).  This would include running through defenders to keep drives alive, otherwise they would lose. (Green Bay Miracle Game). He put his body on the line in order to win and did what was necessary when the system and the team failed him. That's what I saw as the main reason for the 4th quarter comebacks.

You could easily see a parallel universe where Luck played for a team with a great O-line, a great run game, and a stout defense, and he doesn't have to perform those 4th quarter heroics. He would still make some bonehead plays from time-to-time, as all QBs do, but maybe the team could overcome them without Luck having to ball out.

He simply had no run game, had a Reggie Wayne that was good not even great anymore but good which help for 1 year in 2012 though. Ty Hilton is the only scary threat he ever had outside of Wayne's season in 2012. Teams simply just game planned for Luck passing over and over and Luck had too in order for us to win. He also had to run to make the team better. In Luck's 1st 3 years = 48 games, only 1 game was there a 100 yard rusher in those 48. We still won 33 games and only lost 15. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Definitely take Maholmes. over Luck.  I think the bottom for the Colts is 3 wins where the ceiling is 7 wins.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Definitely take Maholmes. over Luck.  I think the bottom for the Colts is 3 wins where the ceiling is 7 wins.

Mahomes could quit playing today and still make the Hall of Fame. Only 5 years of play but 2 SB wins, 3 SB apps, 2 League MVP's, 2 SB MVP's. He doesn't have the longevity yet that Tom, Joe, and Peyton had obviously but in his first 5 years as a starter, it is unmatched.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 11:43 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

the mediocrity is all on ballards method of roster filling, i think he watched the movie moneyball one too many times

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 10:19 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Number 1 pick is the floor IMO. I see us getting a top-five pick and going after Marvin Harrison Jr. That will be an Irsay decision if it happens IMO, as Ballard would probably prefer to go after an elite T.

I got feeling you're going to have crow feathers protruding from your mouth this season.

Animation Illustration GIF by Pierre-Julien Fieux

12 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I got feeling you're going to have crow feathers protruding from your mouth this season.

Animation Illustration GIF by Pierre-Julien Fieux

I hope so. Definitely want us to do well. It's more of a prove-it-to-me thing now. As I don't believe it until I see it now. Hopefully Richardson is our QB of the future. I'd rather be positive than negative, I really would. This organization has been a clown show since Luck retired, and Richardson needs to get it on track.