Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Presser at 4:15

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

When Granson was drafted, my full expectation was that he'd become a true asset in year 3 at the earliest. Like Dallas Clark.

I continue to hold onto that expectation. I think Granson will have a good season this year then watch out next season. Folks will wonder where he came out from.

Richardson seems to use him as a security blanket so I agree I think granson will have a big year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KB said:

If we win 4 games again then nobody deserves a second contract. Pretty simple. Those player don't equate to wins. It should also mean Ballard should go since those wete his best 2 draft picks recently. I like Ballard and alot of the things he's done. All the things he says about JT and the team are a direct reflection of him, and he I'm sure he knows that.

If this teams wins four games and looks like a team on the up and up, and has several young players play 'well' including JT (if he ever plays), then you think you won't see deals done? I think they'll get done.

Now that leads to the inevitable question of paying RBs. Someone mentioned this earlier and i think it's a good point -  JT's best chance of getting a decent RB contract might actually lie with the Colts just based on Ballard's history.

12 hours ago, adubb84 said:

The “JT praise / Let’s bash the colts” tirade is getting old quick. There’s no real analysis on how the other side sees things. 

Best post of this thread. That is probably why you got 12 LIKES and 2 TROPHY's - well deserved. I gave you a Trophy. I couldn't agree more. I like the way you posted Sharpe, Mina Kimes, and Nick Wrong with their little jabs too. Great stuff!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AKB said:

I think Granson will have value like Conklin from the Jets, basically the same player type. 

But Dallas Clark? NO, I don't think so 45

I'm not saying Granson will be #44 reincarnated. I'm saying Dallas had a quiet first couple seasons compared to what he became. That's typically the case at that position. They start slow and then blow up.

Now, I dunno if Granson will get into Indy's ROH like Dallas but I expect his peak to start between this season and the next, thats the timeline. I hope he surpasses Dallas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Best post of this thread. That is probably why you got 12 LIKES and 2 TROPHY's - well deserved. I gave you a Trophy. I couldn't agree more. I like the way you posted Sharpe, Mina Kimes, and Nick Wrong with their little jabs too. Great stuff!

Pure worthless garbage.

• Thanks 1

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Pure worthless garbage.

Of course it is, they have no idea what they are talking about and 2 work for ESPN, the other for Fox. Sad. It isn't just this issue, those 3 have posted so much nonsense over the last 5 years, it would make a Billy Goat puke lmao . 

As a football player I do respect Sharpe, that is as a football player. He is a top 5 TE of all-time but some of his takes has me doing this Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course it is, they have no idea what they are talking about and 2 work for ESPN, the other for Fox. Sad. It isn't just this issue, those 3 have posted so much nonsense over the last 5 years, it would make a Billy Goat puke lmao . 

As a football player I do respect Sharpe, that is as a football player. He is a top 5 TE of all-time but some of his takes has me doing this Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Years of working with Skip has clearly slowed his mind. 

power witness GIF

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Years of working with Skip has clearly slowed his mind. 

power witness GIF

The nature of their job isn't about being objective. Those guys are here to entertain and regenerate the fruits of that entertainment. Once you accept that, everything that comes out of their mouths becomes much easier to understand. Their objective isnt about truth or the quest for it :D 

15 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I'm not saying Granson will be #44 reincarnated. I'm saying Dallas had a quiet first couple seasons compared to what he became. That's typically the case at that position. They start slow and then blow up.

Now, I dunno if Granson will get into Indy's ROH like Dallas but I expect his peak to start between this season and the next, thats the timeline. I hope he surpasses Dallas.

i hope so too, but i think he ends up a Conklin type of TE. Which isn't bad by any means, but also nothing special

Dallas was a special player

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

The nature of their job isn't about being objective. Those guys are here to entertain and regenerate the fruits of that entertainment. Once you accept that, everything that comes out of their mouths becomes much easier to understand. Their objective isnt about truth or the quest for it :D 

Blows my mind anyone still watches them. But obviously someone still is because they're still employed. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sharpe left is joining Stephen A over at ESPN Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

OMG... What a nightmare that will sound like on TV. Two dudes just endlessly yelling at each other spouting nonsense. Then again, that's what most of America wants and loves. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I think in code Ballard means "We want to see how you fit with the new coach and QB bc Shane came in the door with a few issues about your fit in his system. We pay our great players, but we don't force them on our coaches without them being 100 about it. You've had no snaps at all with him, and we would like to see how that meshes(get Steichen opinion from experience with you) before we pay you. That's why it's always "we need him to be healthy".

Notice how Shane Steichen hasn't been banging the table for Taylor. He always refers back to Ballard. I think if Shane came in the door 100 about it they go ahead and pay him. I don't think Shane is completely sold. I also think just in general they want to get the right guys and fits around AR.

Does anyone think that Steichen was in the know regarding the Philly philosophy regarding where the $$ needs to go in his offensive (Hurts/Richardson) system?

Get real. He explained it to Irsay and Ballard in the hiring process. One can speak to the last 5 SB Winners. 

Jonathan is worthy of about $8m here because of his running ability and threat with the simple bubble screen. Discounting for his lack of overall receiving skills and sub par blocking. He would not take that so him going somewhere else was a done deal when Steichen was hired 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Does anyone think that Steichen was in the know regarding the Philly philosophy regarding where the $$ needs to go in his offensive (Hurts/Richardson) system?

Get real. He explained it to Irsay and Ballard in the hiring process. One can speak to the last 5 SB Winners. 

Jonathan is worthy of about $8m here because of his running ability and threat with the simple bubble screen. Discounting for his lack of overall receiving skills and sub par blocking. He would not take that so him going somewhere else was a done deal when Steichen was hired 

I agree with everything, except we need to specify when he was going to leave. 

I don't think anyone expected Taylor to hold in, coming off his worst year and injury. What does make sense? Show the league you can still average 5ypc, and dominate despite a young roster --> then go to FA and demand top dollar.

~This was not the approach clearly. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was great when Ballard said, the whole situation sucks, it sucks for our fans, Taylor, and everyone here. He didn't sugarcoat anything. He told the truth that is for sure.

He also admitted to it being the first time he's had to deal with it. There will be lessons learned from this I'm sure.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AKB said:

i hope so too, but i think he ends up a Conklin type of TE. Which isn't bad by any means, but also nothing special

Dallas was a special player

Dallas remains one of my fave all time Colts. On and off the field, he was class.

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Blows my mind anyone still watches them. But obviously someone still is because they're still employed. 

Yeah, don't get me started on the media. :D 

• Like 1

A friend of mine texted me last night, he is a Bears fan. He said not good that you guys didn't trade Taylor. I responded, nobody offered us a 1st round pick, I then said - it was a smart move we didn't trade him. Can't trade an impact player like that without great compensation. I even know that and if I know it, Ballard definitely knows it.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If this teams wins four games and looks like a team on the up and up, and has several young players play 'well' including JT (if he ever plays), then you think you won't see deals done? I think they'll get done.

Now that leads to the inevitable question of paying RBs. Someone mentioned this earlier and i think it's a good point -  JT's best chance of getting a decent RB contract might actually lie with the Colts just based on Ballard's history.

I didn't think about it that way. If there is promise in the 4 wins, like most other games are decided by 1 score and we were competitive, then yeah pay the players that earned it. If it's a mess like last year then no they can go somewhere else and we can try again. Maybe they'll have more success there. Maybe not.

As far as paying JT and if Ballard would give him the most lucrative contract, I really can't say. Ballard does have a history of overpaying his talent even at less important positions as long as they have high quality play. I dont blame him on the wait and see approach. What makes it dicey is the ankle injury. If its really still bad then no we shouldnt give him a large RB contract. You cant pay someone for past production, but he has played his heart out and deserves to get paid. If he isnt going to be that same player in the second contract and there's indication that he isnt, well that's really hard to say. That's where they're at I believe.

43 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah imagine if we even go 3-1 without Taylor. That would open many eyes and make Taylor think a lot more. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ixdo not beleive that. If Ballard requested Wassl

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Ballard seriously or even said it as a joke Waddle for Taylor, then he should be fired today. It would make me seriously question his intelligence and further question his abilities as a GM. I know u bargain, but I can tell u Miami would say no mid sentence so it is a non starter.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If Ballard seriously or even said it as a joke Waddle for Taylor, then he should be fired today. It would make me seriously question his intelligence and further question his abilities as a GM. I know u bargain, but I can tell u Miami would say no mid sentence so it is a non starter.

I heard straight from the Dolphins GM mouth on CBS radio (JR's show) at around 1am, no offers were made by him to us, and vice versa. The Dolphins GM said, he and Chris are good friends, and he was just exploring options for JT but nothing was really talked about. I believe this kind of stuff because it came from the GM's mouth himself. The GM of the Dolphins was ask this question about Taylor by the Miami media and he spoke about it.

• Thanks 3

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I heard straight from the Dolphins GM mouth on CBS radio JR's show at around 1am, no offers were made by him to us, and vice versa. The Dolphins GM said, he and Chris are good friends, and he was just exploring options for JT but nothing was really talked about. I believe this kind of stuff because it came from the GM's mouth himself. The GM of the Dolphins was ask this question about Taylor by the Miami media and he spoke about it.

Can we pin this to the NFL.com page? And basically all media outlets? 

This is what many people right now are missing. So many pundits were claiming we were asking for all these ridiculous things, and it sounds like there was never any real serious offers from any team. Just conversations of interest... 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Can we pin this to the NFL.com page? And basically all media outlets? 

This is what many people right now are missing. So many pundits were claiming we were asking for all these ridiculous things, and it sounds like there was never any real serious offers from any team. Just conversations of interest... 

According to the GM of the Dolphins, no offers were made either way. They talked about JT and that was that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

On Pat’s show yesterday, he posed the question, what is so out of line in asking for a team’s # 2 receiver in exchange for a team’s # 1 All-Pro RB?  His own answer, there is NOTHING out of line in asking for that.  Doesn’t mean it would be a trade that happens, but I concur with PMac on this. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks!

It’s just everywhere! We just seem to be the low hanging fruit and punching bag of the media lately. Drafting Richardson, starting Richardson, Rogers release for gambling, Irsay comments, JT drama. 

Week 1 can’t get here soon enough as it should help blunt the distractions and craziness. I’m curiously optimistic lol. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Thanks!

It’s just everywhere! We just seem to be the low hanging fruit and punching bag of the media lately. Drafting Richardson, starting Richardson, Rogers release for gambling, Irsay comments, JT drama. 

Week 1 can’t get here soon enough as it should help blunt the distractions and craziness. I’m curiously optimistic lol. 

I know we can't do right in the media's eyes. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio. I won't say his name but it was late at night, he was just trashing us for not playing AR vs the Bears because he thought AR needed the REPS. Then when it was announced AR was playing at Philly, I swear the same guy said we are a joke for playing AR in the last pre-season game because he may get injured. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know we can't do right in the media's eyes. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio. I won't say his name but it was late at night, he was just trashing us for not playing AR vs the Bears because he thought AR needed the REPS. Then when it was announced AR was playing at Philly, I swear the same guy said we are a joke for playing AR in the last pre-season game because he may get injured. 

To be fair, the Colts in the post Luck era have been mostly a disaster. They got handed a winking lottery ticket by having the number one pick when Luck was coming out but he retired early because they couldn’t figure out how to protect him. They then proceeded to fill his void with guys like Jacoby Brissett, Phillip Rivers, and Matt Ryan. Last year they were victim to the biggest comeback in NFL history in a season where they fired the HC mid season and the owner decided to replace him with an ESPN analyst with no prior coaching experience. They hire what most people think is a great hire and finally draft a QB for the future, but now the best offensive player they’ve had since Luck isn’t getting extended. It’s warranted.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I definitely think it's a coach Steichen issue bc if Frank Reich were here after a 4 win season we know JT would be paid already. The 4 win season claim is smoke bc we know and they would know what JT can do in Franks system and how he fits so there wouldn't be a let's see what you can do requirement.

Absolutely. Taylor was the best player in Reich’s offense even though Frank wanted the QBs to carry the load. Without him Frank probably doesn’t even make it to 2021. 

The 4 win line from Ballard would’ve been better served if they won 4 games when JT was healthy the whole season. Winning 4 games says more about how putrid the rest of your team is/was then it does about the overall importance of JT to the team.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

To be fair, the Colts in the post Luck era have been mostly a disaster. They got handed a winking lottery ticket by having the number one pick when Luck was coming out but he retired early because they couldn’t figure out how to protect him. They then proceeded to fill his void with guys like Jacoby Brissett, Phillip Rivers, and Matt Ryan. Last year they were victim to the biggest comeback in NFL history in a season where they fired the HC mid season and the owner decided to replace him with an ESPN analyst with no prior coaching experience. They hire what most people think is a great hire and finally draft a QB for the future, but now the best offensive player they’ve had since Luck isn’t getting extended. It’s warranted.

Of course we were bad last year and since Luck has retired it has been up and down. We deserve criticism for the way things have gone for a while. Watching ESPN and listening to the radio, we seem to be the ultimate punching bag though. Patriots should be a huge punching bag right now because since Brady left, they have been a disaster over the last 3 years. Yet nobody ever talks bad about them. Hell, the media in general even brag about the Browns now and look at what Watson did + they stunk last year as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

On Pat’s show yesterday, he posed the question, what is so out of line in asking for a team’s # 2 receiver in exchange for a team’s # 1 All-Pro RB?  His own answer, there is NOTHING out of line in asking for that.  Doesn’t mean it would be a trade that happens, but I concur with PMac on this. 

Waddle!!! He is a number 2 because of Hill being a number one. If Waddle was traded and/or was signed as a free agent, his contract would reflect that they would be paying him as a number #1. Number 1 or number 2,it really doesn't matter,  based on his position and his skill set, he has tons more value in todays NFL than Taylor does. That was my point. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Waddle!!! He is a number 2 because of Hill being a number one. If Waddle was traded and/or was signed as a free agent, his contract would reflect that they would be paying him as a number #1. Number 1 or number 2,it really doesn't matter,  based on his position and his skill set, he has tons more value in todays NFL than Taylor does. That was my point. 

Miami is loaded with weapons, too bad they don't have the QB to get them where they need to be. Tua is above average, top 15ish but he can't stay healthy either. 

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If you don’t like what the media is saying about your team don’t listen or watch them.

Impossible to do if you follow the sport. You are going to hear it if you watch and keep up with the league. Nobody is going to shut their radio and TV off 6 days a week and just watch on Sunday, sorry it doesn't work like that.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Impossible to do if you follow the sport. You are going to hear it if you watch and keep up with the league. Nobody is going to shut their radio and TV off 6 days a week and just watch on Sunday, sorry it doesn't work like that.

Not impossible to do.  I follow the Colts and don’t have this problem.  If you don’t like someone don’t watch or listen to them it really is that easy.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not impossible to do.  I follow the Colts and don’t have this problem.  If you don’t like someone don’t watch or listen to them it really is that easy.

I follow the league and other sports so impossible for me. Most people do. I want to keep up and know who is injured by Friday for example.