Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super improved Colts positive thread

What is great is, only 4 teams/franchises have won 2 or more SB's since re-alignment happened in 2002. Pats with 5, Steelers 2, Giants 2, Bucs 2. At worse we have to be labeled in the top 5 franchises since 2002 because out of the 1-time SB winners, we have a better winning % than those other teams. We have also made 2 SB's where teams like the Packers haven't over the last 21 seasons and they have had Favre and Rodgers this whole time.  

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Thanks for the stats.  Peyton Manning was a special QB and I really enjoyed watching him play. Anthony Richardson is a freak athlete and it looks like we hired a head coach with a ton of potential. I’m on board to watch and see how this all unfolds. 

It wasn't just Peyton, Luck was great from 2012-2014 and in 2018. Rivers was good in 2020.

• Like 1

Want something added to your "Positive Thread"?

The year before last, we had 7 Pro Bowlers

Leonard

Nelson

Kelly

Taylor

Buckner

Moore III

Rhodes

and 5 All Pro's

Leonard

Nelson

Taylor

Rhodes

Dulin

We've added some quality guys to the roster since then.  It's not like there's no talent at all on this team.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Leonard

Nelson

Kelly

Taylor

Buckner

Moore III

Rhodes

and 5 All Pro's

Leonard

Nelson

Taylor

Rhodes

Dulin

We've added some quality guys to the roster since then.  It's not like there's no talent at all on this team.

I agree, this season will be interesting. Not sure how it will turn out but it will be fun finding out.

• Like 2

I don't know if I'm allowed to inject realism into this positive thread, but because we won a lot of games between 1 and 2 decades ago it doesn't mean we're a good team now.

We have A LOT of ultra athletic young guys on the team. I hope our coaches can get them to reach their potential, because if they do we can be THE team to beat within a handful of years.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't know if I'm allowed to inject realism into this positive thread, but because we won a lot of games between 1 and 2 decades ago it doesn't mean we're a good team now.

We have A LOT of ultra athletic young guys on the team. I hope our coaches can get them to reach their potential, because if they do we can be THE team to beat within a handful of years.

You are always allowed in any thread I make my friend. As is guys like Moose, Doug, Nesjan, Old Fan Man, etc.. Please interject. I just wanted to bring some postive to the site since many think we will stink this upcoming year. As being a realist, I will say we could stink this season. I don't think we will but that is just me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think people get the wrong idea about me when someone thinks we will stink and I just debate it. That is your opinion, only problem I have is when someone calls a player trash or just Trolls. Other than that have at it. 

Am I a Troll for saying Peyton Manning is the 3rd greatest QB of all-time but not #1. I wouldn't think so, it is an opinion but a strong one and saying Peyton is 3rd out of thousands that have played the position is actually a huge compliment. Now if I came on here and said Peyton isn't even top 5 - that is being a goofball troll Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I’m with you on this. I didn’t really want to interject much bc I get what 06BE is wanting to do and I respect that.  I have a couple opinions about players that I’m keeping to myself for now and going to wait and see how it unfolds. Honestly, I don’t know much more than the next guy so will enjoy this positive thread for what it is….a good fan supporting his team.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’m with you on this. I didn’t really want to interject much bc I get what 06BE is wanting to do and I respect that.  I have a couple opinions about players that I’m keeping to myself for now and going to wait and see how it unfolds. Honestly, I don’t know much more than the next guy so will enjoy this positive thread for what it is….a good fan supporting his team.  

It's cool. A lot of people are nervous about this upcoming season. I just wanted to point out all the winning we have done compared to almost every other franchise over the last 20 years. We need to stay positive and appreciate what the franchise has done. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's cool. A lot of people are nervous about this upcoming season. I just wanted to point out all the winning we have done compared to almost every other franchise over the last 20 years. We need to stay positive and appreciate what the franchise has done. 

Yeah. This is a good thread. I've been spoiled with the Braves, Avalanche, and Nuggets all winning championships the last 3 years. I'm hoping for the best with the Colts now. I'm thankful with the run we had with Peyton, and even though I wish we had better luck with Luck (no pun intended), he was a hit for the time we had him. 

I blame Reich for the QB carousel we had the last few years, but now it's time to move on as we were able to draft a possible franchise QB in Richardson. I'm very nervous because of how raw he is, but very excited because I know the potential upside. We may have a rebuilding year with him at the worst, but this is the only option to compete with a loaded AFC in the future. At least we know Ballard can draft a team besides the QB, so if Richardson hits, I think we'll be a contender in two years.

• Like 3

I'm the age that most of my time with Colts has been through good seasons (I was in high school when we drafted Peyton) and I think that's shaped my perspective. I can find a dozen reasons why we can win any game no matter the opponent and I always think we'll be good to the point that I willfully won't draft Colts on my fantasy team because I'm way too optimistic about what they will do.

I have a good friend that's a Browns fan and he is the exact opposite. You could give the Browns the all-decade team in their prime and he'll tell you why they will only win 3 games next season.

I have to imagine our experience with the team's history informs both of our perspectives. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I'm the age that most of my time with Colts has been through good seasons (I was in high school when we drafted Peyton) and I think that's shaped my perspective. I can find a dozen reasons why we can win any game no matter the opponent and I always think we'll be good to the point that I willfully won't draft Colts on my fantasy team because I'm way too optimistic about what they will do.

I have a good friend that's a Browns fan and he is the exact opposite. You could give the Browns the all-decade team in their prime and he'll tell you why they will only win 3 games next season.

I have to imagine our experience with the team's history informs both of our perspectives. 

Over the last 21 seasons (2002-2022), we would have a hell of an all-time team.

Offense

QB - Peyton

RB - Edge

WR - Marv

WR - Reggie

Slot WR - TY

TE - Dallas

OT - Glenn

OG - Nelson

C - Saturday

OG - Smith

OT - Tony C.

Defense

End - Freeney

DT - Buckner

DT - Booger

End - Mathis

LB - June

LB - Leonard

LB - I would put Franklin here lol, quick dude, he has game.

CB - Davis

CB - Hayden

Safeties = Bob and Bethea, head bashers!

Kicker - Adam

Punter - Pat

Bring anyone on The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- RCA Dome is our HFA by the way!

• Like 5

Yah I live in Canada and I have 3 teams I cheer for. Toronto Bluejays baseball. Edmonton Oilers Hockey and Colts NFL Football.

The Bluejays won two World Series back to back when I was a kid so it doesn't really count for me I hadn't become the fan I am now yet.

The Oilers dynasty of 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years was just ending when I was a toddler. So that doesn't really count for me either. 

The Peyton Manning led Colts from 2000-2010 and the SB win in 06 were my glory years in sports. Ill never forget it how good that team was and Manning will forever be my favorite NFL player. 

The Jays and Oilers are looking alright lately, no championships yet but possibly soon. Colts are kind of restarting. And heres hoping we get another SB in my life!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Yah I live in Canada and I have 3 teams I cheer for. Toronto Bluejays baseball. Edmonton Oilers Hockey and Colts NFL Football.

The Bluejays won two World Series back to back when I was a kid so it doesn't really count for me I hadn't become the fan I am now yet.

The Oilers dynasty of 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years was just ending when I was a toddler. So that doesn't really count for me either. 

The Peyton Manning led Colts from 2000-2010 and the SB win in 06 were my glory years in sports. Ill never forget it how good that team was and Manning will forever be my favorite NFL player. 

The Jays and Oilers are looking alright lately, no championships yet but possibly soon. Colts are kind of restarting. And heres hoping we get another SB in my life!

Man I don't follow Hockey but Edmonton was unbeatable when they had Gretzky. I was 22 years old when the Jays went back to back, That was a great team. You missed out on some good times. I think the Jays can do something this year, I picked them to win the AL but Tampa Bay has been phenomenal so far. Jays are in a tough division. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Man I don't follow Hockey but Edmonton was unbeatable when they had Gretzky. I was 22 years old when the Jays went back to back, That was a great team. You missed out on some good times. I think the Jays can do something this year, I picked them to win the AL but Tampa Bay has been phenomenal so far. Jays are in a tough division. 

haha yup If I was born 15 years sooner I could have been apart of all that. I live in Edmonton. Oilers are the only sports team here. People are insane about hockey. Those dynasty years were and still are everything to this city.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

My sister lives outside of Belleville east of Toronto.  I'm planning on visiting my nephew to attend Jericho Underworld LARP at the end of September.  Yeah, LARPing at the age of 56.  Uh huh.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To all the people down on the team, let me remind you of our history. Since re-alignment of the divisions in 2002, here is what we have done since then.

2002 = 10-6 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2003 = 12-4 (2-1 in the playoffs, lost in the AFC Championship Game) Division Champs.

2004 = 12-4 (1-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2005 = 14-2 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2006 = 12-4 (4-0 in the playoffs, SB Champions) Division Champs.

2007 = 13-3 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2008 = 12-4 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2009 = 14-2 (2-1 in the playoffs, AFC Champs, lost in the SB) Division Champs.

2010 = 10-6 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2011 = 2-14 (no playoffs)

2012 = 11-5 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2013 = 11-5 (1-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2014 = 11-5 (2-1 in the playoffs, lost in the AFC Championship Game) Division Champs.

2015 = 8-8 (no playoffs)

2016 = 8-8 (no playoffs)

2017 = 4-12 (no playoffs)

2018 = 10-6 (1-1 in the playoffs)

2019 = 7-9 (no playoffs)

2020 = 11-5 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2021 = 9-8 (no playoffs)

2022 = 4-12-1 (no playoffs)

So I am giving everyone a 21 season sample size = 2002-2022. Here are the totals: 17 non losing seasons/at least 8 wins or more, 4 Conference Championship Games appearances = 2003/2006/2009/2014, 2 SB appearances = 2006/2009, 1 World Championship = 2006.

Overall W/L record = regular season 205-132-1/61% winnings. You win 61% of your regular season games over 21 seasons, that is phenomenal.  If you gamble and win 61% of the time you would be a millionaire The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO). Our playoff record isn't too bad either = 13-13 which is .500 but that is against the best competition out there. 13 wins is a lot. Most franchises would kill for our success over a 21 year span since re-alignment lmao . Winning it all in 2006 plants our greatness!

We have owned the AFC South since re-alignment (9 Division Championships) and have been a top 5 team/franchise since 2002 in the whole league. So the haters can suck it lmao . FACTS ARE WONDERFUL.

As we all know, you sure can come up with different ways to make yourself feel good about the Colts.  Instead of choosing the draw the line at the AFC South creation, a person could draw a line anywhere if they needed certain facts to make their case.

I was going to say in another thread, that the Colts have been playing uninspiring football since the AFCCG 45-3 loss.  Thanks for showing the data that supports my feeling.  (The two playoff seasons were uninspiring)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I vaguely remember the Blue Jays winning as well.  Didn’t they have a great player with the last name Carter?  I don’t really remember anymore 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Over the last 21 seasons (2002-2022), we would have a hell of an all-time team.

Offense

QB - Peyton

RB - Edge

WR - Marv

WR - Reggie

Slot WR - TY

TE - Dallas

OT - Glenn

OG - Nelson

C - Saturday

OG - Smith

OT - Tony C.

Defense

End - Freeney

DT - Buckner

DT - Booger

End - Mathis

LB - June

LB - Leonard

LB - I would put Franklin here lol, quick dude, he has game.

CB - Davis

CB - Hayden

Safeties = Bob and Bethea, head bashers!

Kicker - Adam

Punter - Pat

Bring anyone on The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- RCA Dome is our HFA by the way!

It’s a shame, with all those names you’d think during that time period we’d have more than one SB win. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

It’s a shame, with all those names you’d think during that time period we’d have more than one SB win. 

At least were not the Dan Marino Dolphins or the Jim Kelly Bills. Dont overcome that deficit against NE in the AFCG and were probably forever labeled the best team ever to never win a SB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

At least were not the Dan Marino Dolphins or the Jim Kelly Bills. Dont overcome that deficit against NE in the AFCG and were probably forever labeled the best team ever to never win a SB.

Yeah, we at least got the one which is huge because never winning one would have been disastrous. I feel bad for Bills fans, great team from 1990-1993 but no championships to show for it. Ouch.

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

As we all know, you sure can come up with different ways to make yourself feel good about the Colts.  Instead of choosing the draw the line at the AFC South creation, a person could draw a line anywhere if they needed certain facts to make their case.

I was going to say in another thread, that the Colts have been playing uninspiring football since the AFCCG 45-3 loss.  Thanks for showing the data that supports my feeling.  (The two playoff seasons were uninspiring)

We lost 45-7 and they cheated. Now I feel better :thmup:

6 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah the Patriots stopped us 3 times from going to the SB = 2003, 2004, 2014. They were just a loaded team for nearly 2 decades. We should have won SB 44 but made too many mistakes. We beat ourselves that game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

How unbelievably sad that you feel this way.    I’m sure you’re not alone.   At least you’re willing to cop to it publicly.  

8 years of being unhappy with your favorite team.    Sad.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

How unbelievably sad that you feel this way.    I’m sure you’re not alone.   At least you’re willing to cop to it publicly.  

8 years of being unhappy with your favorite team.    Sad.

With out the Doug's in this forum, this place would be boring lol.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 8:55 AM, John Hammonds said:

Leonard

Nelson

Kelly

Taylor

Buckner

Moore III

Rhodes

and 5 All Pro's

Leonard

Nelson

Taylor

Rhodes

Dulin

Hoping that we ascend to that point again - either this year or next.

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, we at least got the one which is huge because never winning one would have been disastrous. I feel bad for Bills fans, great team from 1990-1993 but no championships to show for it. Ouch.

Yah 4 straight SB losses. So brutal. Shout out to the 70's Vikings who lost 4 in 6 years also. Winning a championship in any sport is incredibly hard. You can probably count the amount of Dynasties that have happened in the big 4 sports on your fingers and toes. Im happy we won 1. Nothing wrong with it.

• Like 2

Its obvious the success since 2002 is because of Manning & Polian and neither are here anymore. And even with them many of those seasons they quickly exited the postseason with way too many one and dones and gave us fans frustrating ends to otherwise Fun and promising seasons. 

We may not currently have a HOF talent GM like Polian, but we do have a very High Ceiling, exciting, super physically talented rookie QB that we can rally around and look forward to watching him lead the Colts to glory. Through I won't go far back to the Baltimore teams with Unitas & Jones, I think AR5 has the chance(hopefully) to be on a very, very short list of the Best things to happen to this Organization since fleeing Baltimore and arriving to Indy. 

I just hope he gets a supporting cast worthy of his potential like Manning had, that includes coaching,and not have to carry the team on his back like Bert Jones did.

Regardless, I think the colts will be Fun to watch again so enjoy.

• Like 4

On 6/24/2023 at 3:14 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Patriots stopped us 3 times from going to the SB = 2003, 2004, 2014. They were just a loaded team for nearly 2 decades. We should have won SB 44 but made too many mistakes. We beat ourselves that game.

We probably coulda, shoulda,woulda had a minimum of 3 Super Bowl Wins if it wasn't for those cheaters.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 2:27 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Its obvious the success since 2002 is because of Manning & Polian and neither are here anymore. And even with them many of those seasons they quickly exited the postseason with way too many one and dones and gave us fans frustrating ends to otherwise Fun and promising seasons. 

We may not currently have a HOF talent GM like Polian, but we do have a very High Ceiling, exciting, super physically talented rookie QB that we can rally around and look forward to watching him lead the Colts to glory. Through I won't go far back to the Baltimore teams with Unitas & Jones, I think AR5 has the chance(hopefully) to be on a very, very short list of the Best things to happen to this Organization since fleeing Baltimore and arriving to Indy. 

I just hope he gets a supporting cast worthy of his potential like Manning had, that includes coaching,and not have to carry the team on his back like Bert Jones did.

Regardless, I think the colts will be Fun to watch again so enjoy.

Pretty good post. Since Peyton Manning was let go, here is the Colts record and accomplishments: (2012-2022)

94-83-1 with 2 Division Championships and an AFC Championship Game appearance. That is still much better than average = 11 games above .500. I even took Peyton out of the equation + that is real recent history. The Texans in their existence since 2002 have never made an AFC Championship Game to put this in perspective. Since Tom Brady was let go, the Patriots have been a .500 team over the last 3 seasons.

Lat season was just a disaster for us, our record since 2012 would even be better had it not been for last season.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pretty good post. Since Peyton Manning was let go, here is the Colts record and accomplishments: (2012-2022)

94-83-1 with 2 Division Championships and an AFC Championship Game appearance. That is still much better than average = 11 games above .500. I even took Peyton out of the equation + that is real recent history. The Texans in their existence since 2002 have never made an AFC Championship Game to put this in perspective. Since Tom Brady was let go, the Patriots have been a .500 team over the last 3 seasons.

Lat season was just a disaster for us, our record since 2012 would even be better had it not been for last season.

It's an average record of 8.6 - 7.6... that's pretty average...

The Chiefs and Patriots for comparison in the same period:

Chiefs 119-59 with 3 conference championships and 2 SBs. An average record of 10.8 - 5.4

Patriots 123-55 with 4 conference championships and 3 SBs. An average record of 11.2 - 5.0

That's just over a decade of dominance from those teams. The Patriots are closer to two decades really. Granted the Patriots are on the decline, but the Chiefs will have a lot more years before they start declining. We had our time in the sun with Peyton at the rudder, but that doesn't mean we're a good team now. We have a lot of improving to do and unfortunately not a lot has happened in that regard the last 7+ years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Rating the best QBs is mute because of the changes made to the position in the past decades. No comparison. Look at the changes in baseball in the past 100 years. 

Somewhat but look at the last 9 QB's that have won SB's:

2014 - Tom

2015 - Peyton

2016 - Tom

2017 - Foles

2018 - Tom

2019 - Mahomes

2020 - Tom

2021 - Stafford

2022 - Mahomes

All are pocket passers first, the only QB that can really rely on the run is Mahomes, but he is pass 1st. Mahomes isn't super fast either like a Jackson for example. Also I think Joe Burrow is the 2nd best QB going into the 2023 season and he is almost strictly a pocket passer. Now days it is an advatage to have a QB that can run, I love dual QB's like we have now with AR but comparing the best from 30 years ago to now is still reasonable. 

• Like 1