Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF OL Rankings 2023

PFF's Sam Monson has published probably this season's first OL Rankings, with starting line-up and best player in each group. Colts rank 10th, but he says it's based on assumption that they could get back to their previous form.

Will it happen?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

10. Indianapolis Colts

Projected Starting Lineup

LT Bernhard Raimann

LG Quenton Nelson

C Ryan Kelly

RG Will Fries

RT Braden Smith

The Colts' line was a mess last season but should have been much better. This ranking assumes a significant bounce back to their previous baseline of play.

Quenton Nelson, one the best lineman in all of football, allowed four sacks in his first four years in the league before letting up five in 2022, his worst year as a pro.

Best Player: Quenton Nelson

Theoretically, Quenton Nelson is still the best lineman in this group, but he is now under pressure to reverse a steep decline in his play. After three elite seasons to start his career, he has had back-to-back seasons with a PFF grade below 70.0 overall.

• Like 3

@NFLfan  Vikings rank 15th, with question marks on two spots.

LT Christian Darrisaw
LG Ezra Cleveland
C Garrett Bradbury
RG Ed Ingram
RT Brian O’Neill

The Vikings aren’t projected to change any of their five starters, but therein lies the problem. Ed Ingram at right guard and Garrett Bradbury at center are players who could be considered weak links and in need of an upgrade. Ingram at least has the upside of a Year 2 jump.

Bradbury had his best season in the new system in 2022 but still earned just a 63.8 PFF pass-blocking grade and allowed 29 pressures — a lot for a center.

Best Player: Christian Darrisaw

It was a breakout season for left tackle Christian Darrisaw. He allowed 20 pressures all season and will hopefully avoid the rapid-succession concussions he suffered this year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Personally I would have Pinter at C, more athletic by far. Move Smith to RG, and Freeland at RT. Most athletic OL I've ever seen. Only problem is Pinter's power. 

Pinter is terrible. He is a backup only. Indy needs to either bring in another vet at RG or let Ekiyor compete for it and hope he wins it. 

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Pinter is terrible. He is a backup only. Indy needs to either bring in another vet at RG or let Ekiyor compete for it and hope he wins it. 

Awful at guard but has been more then serviceable at center.

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Pinters best games was at C. Center sometimes doesn't have blocking assignments. Help left, help right on passing downs. Pinter is the 2nd best OLineman to get to 2nd level. Pinter is only going to be C or 6th lineman. BTW when Kelly has to pass pro he's worse than Pinter. Kelly is a road grader at center.

Honestly, Pinter failing to make the team would be one of my bold predictions for the year.  Back-up OL need to be able to play more than one position, and he proved last year that he doesn’t have the strength to hold up at OG.  Unless you want Pinter to start at Center, I’d just as soon keep French or Shepley who theoretically might not be pathetic at OG…

French Ive had an eye on,has technique but lacked strength. This is likely kellys last season with us so who takes over French or Pinter ? Freeland getting rave reviews and Braden Smith can play either Guard or Tackle so may come down to Freeland vs Fries who is more ready to play at high level ? Ekiyor wild card in all of this 

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

PFF's Sam Monson has published probably this season's first OL Rankings, with starting line-up and best player in each group. Colts rank 10th, but he says it's based on assumption that they could get back to their previous form.

Will it happen?

10. Indianapolis Colts

LT Bernhard Raimann

LG Quenton Nelson

C Ryan Kelly

RG Will Fries

RT Braden Smith

The Colts' line was a mess last season but should have been much better. This ranking assumes a significant bounce back to their previous baseline of play.

Quenton Nelson, one the best lineman in all of football, allowed four sacks in his first four years in the league before letting up five in 2022, his worst year as a pro.

Theoretically, Quenton Nelson is still the best lineman in this group, but he is now under pressure to reverse a steep decline in his play. After three elite seasons to start his career, he has had back-to-back seasons with a PFF grade below 70.0 overall.

That high?

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

LT Christian Darrisaw
LG Ezra Cleveland
C Garrett Bradbury
RG Ed Ingram
RT Brian O’Neill

The Vikings aren’t projected to change any of their five starters, but therein lies the problem. Ed Ingram at right guard and Garrett Bradbury at center are players who could be considered weak links and in need of an upgrade. Ingram at least has the upside of a Year 2 jump.

Bradbury had his best season in the new system in 2022 but still earned just a 63.8 PFF pass-blocking grade and allowed 29 pressures — a lot for a center.

It was a breakout season for left tackle Christian Darrisaw. He allowed 20 pressures all season and will hopefully avoid the rapid-succession concussions he suffered this year.

I think we have two top tackles in Darrisaw and O'Niell. Hopefully we will be able to retain them.

What I like most is that all those guys were drafted by us. Hopefully they grow together and become consistent for us. I recall the golden days of Randall McDaniel, Todd Steussie, David Dixon, Korey Stronger, Jeff Christy and Matt Birk.  Even the backups were pretty good. We have not had that in many years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

French Ive had an eye on,has technique but lacked strength. This is likely kellys last season with us so who takes over French or Pinter ? Freeland getting rave reviews and Braden Smith can play either Guard or Tackle so may come down to Freeland vs Fries who is more ready to play at high level ? Ekiyor wild card in all of this 

Someone on here said Ekiyor has played center. I heard opposite about French. Had strength lacked technique. Only by memory without looking it up and it was last training camp.

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Honestly, Pinter failing to make the team would be one of my bold predictions for the year.  Back-up OL need to be able to play more than one position, and he proved last year that he doesn’t have the strength to hold up at OG.  Unless you want Pinter to start at Center, I’d just as soon keep French or Shepley who theoretically might not be pathetic at OG…

I keep going back to that Cardinals game 2 years ago, Pinter was amazing. But yea I'll cringe if I see him at guard. I think he's our best center with a mobile QB, but Kelly I think is better for a rookie QB. Idk they both could. 

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Where have you read that Freeland is getting rave reviews?    I have not seen that anywhere.    Can you point me to something?   Thanks.   

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where have you read that Freeland is getting rave reviews?    I have not seen that anywhere.    Can you point me to something?   Thanks.   

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-2023-rookie-class-impressing-early#gid=ci02c1b344c000256b&pid=blake-freeland

Blake Freeland

So far, fourth-round pick Blake Freeland has spent most of his time at right tackle. He even has got to play with the starters at times due to Braden Smith missing some time early in OTAs. A source within the team shared their thoughts on Freeland so far by saying, “When he was drafted, starting him at right tackle wasn't something I heard people talk about, but he's been rock solid so far. If he can continue this level of play into training camp, I could see him forcing some tough conversations to be had about moving some people around to get him on the field.”

Only time will tell if Freeland will end up starting early in his career, but he is making a strong enough impression to believe at the very least, Freeland could be the most important reserve lineman for the Colts in 2023.

I've seen quite a few things along these lines as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

Thanks for finding that.    I’ll be diplomatic and simply say with Freeland I’ll be highly, Highly, HIGHLY skeptical until he demonstrates he can play at a top level against much better competition than what he’s faced so far.   That’ll happen in August….   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for finding that.    I’ll be diplomatic and simply say with Freeland I’ll be highly, Highly, HIGHLY skeptical until he demonstrates he can play at a top level against much better competition than what he’s faced so far.   That’ll happen in August….   

I actually feel pretty good about the line. Wouldn't mind adding a Norwell(when he gets released) or looking at a Dalton Risner.

Do feel that Ekiyor is a solid addition, and Freeland obviously as well.

Raimann came along fairly fast last year, hopefully Freeland can as well.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:29 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Will it happen?

10. Indianapolis Colts

LT Bernhard Raimann

LG Quenton Nelson

C Ryan Kelly

RG Will Fries

RT Braden Smith

With the weekly game of "musical chairs" for last season's offensive line - it was impossible for this unit to build continuity and "gel" as a unit.

Quenton Nelson shouldn't have been counted on to play both left-side positions.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:32 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

LT Christian Darrisaw
LG Ezra Cleveland
C Garrett Bradbury
RG Ed Ingram
RT Brian O’Neill

Perhaps you should have posted this separately in the NFL section.

• Like 1

I think that it's possible... Honestly, my biggest worry (outside of RG) is Nelson. Does he get back to form this season after 2 rough ones?

RK is probably due to bounce back. He's dealt with a lot of personal stuff, but I think he will look better this year. 

If Nelson looks like Nelson and we get the kind of OT play that this dude is expecting, we might be top 10, after all, but I think it's probably the best case scenario.