Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matabix

Just now, Matabix said:

Here's a head scratcher.

What was the reason for the big turn around from Peyton's rookie year to his 2nd year?

Personel?

The entire team gelled. The line was more comfortable, and everyone was now familiar with the offense. And that 3-13 record helped us get more early picks similar to what happened recently with Cincy. 

And Peyton took a huge leap in development and confidence. 

11 minutes ago, El Potro said:

Edgerrin James 

Also, the game probably slowed down some for him as he grew more comfortable in the offense and league. 

Combining the fact that Peyton's comfort level in the offense went up and the offense became more balanced with Edge (Edge was a significant factor for the offense staying balanced so that Peyton didn't reproduce his 28 INT rookie year performance) allowed the O to take the burden off the D by not putting the D in bad spots with turnovers like the previous year. Thus, the team's record improved with the complementary elements all working together.

9 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Offense gelling more helped the defense. I know we got Edge that year in the draft but what other contributor did we get in the draft?

Mike Peterson was a heck of a LB we got in that draft, IMO. Hunter Smith was very good for field position too that we drafted in the same draft and played a LONG time for us.

Tarik Glenn was no slouch either.  Blind side protection helps a young QB’s confidence.

Peyton was the best at not taking a hit, wasn’t he?  Until that illegal mugging from Washington (which wasn’t even called) started his issues.  

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mike Peterson was a heck of a LB we got in that draft, IMO. Hunter Smith was very good for field position too that we drafted in the same draft and played a LONG time for us.

Brian Bulsworth was  the 3rd rd pick and was killed in a car wreck 11 days after being drafted. 

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brian Bulsworth was  the 3rd rd pick and was killed in a car wreck 11 days after being drafted. 

Yeah, I remember, it was really tragic. I saw the movie about him and it was definitely a little tear jerker.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Edge.  Watch his rookie highlights on YouTube and you can see that he became a huge focus of the offense and defenses were trying to stop him.

IOW...having playmaker's at all three levels of the offense really helps a QB.

So does a side order of pan cakes at a cost of 20 mill a season 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Tarik Glenn was no slouch either.  Blind side protection helps a young QB’s confidence.

Peyton was the best at not taking a hit, wasn’t he?  Until that illegal mugging from Washington (which wasn’t even called) started his issues.  

Tarik was in his 3rd year.

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

The obvious answer is ... Peyton Manning taking a big step forward... 

So safe to say if we draft a QB this year we will most likely stink cause it takes time to develop and get use to the speed of the game. Side note this is why I think Buckner might be traded. He'll be on tail end of his prime. Gilmore for a 5th made no sense, until maybe now. 

3 hours ago, El Potro said:

That's very true. Faulk was amazing. 

Edge was the offensive rookie of the year in '99. So he did provide something different. 

EDIT : see above.  i quoted the wrong one when i said he led the league in rushing.

3 minutes ago, Matabix said:

So safe to say if we draft a QB this year we will most likely stink cause it takes time to develop and get use to the speed of the game. Side note this is why I think Buckner might be traded. He'll be on tail end of his prime. Gilmore for a 5th made no sense, until maybe now. 

Here's a question... lets assume we draft Levis or Richardson at 4 and they are unsurprisingly raw and we go on and finish with the worst or second worst record in the league. Is there any universe where we don't draft Caleb Williams or Drake Maye next year? 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Here's a question... lets assume we draft Levis or Richardson at 4 and we go on and finish with the worst or second worst record. Is there any universe where we don't draft Caleb Williams or Drake Maye next year? 

Tbh I think it'd be hard for Ballard to pass up the King's ransom he'd get for trading down. Also, I don't think he'd give up on whoever he drafts that quickly. 

I'd want Maye or Williams though. 

Archived