Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We would have had to give up less than that. Don't pretend like trading up from the 4th pick would be the same compensation as trading up from the 9th pick.

So what? Ballard had already said he didn't believe he had to trade for the #1 to get a QB.  

Oh by the way, the Bears still fleeced the Panthers and I'm glad it wasn't the Colts. 

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

FWIW, if we go Richardson or any developmental guy the fan base needs to be patient and expect exactly what you said you don’t want. We would likely sign a Jameis Winston type to play now and let Richardson learn. 

the blueprint is there. Hurts sat the first 12 games as a rookie. 

played the last 4. Got a taste. Then played the entire next season and was OK but not great. Even questions if he was the guy or not. 

then in year 3 and with a big investment in DeVonta and AJ brown he took off 

if we get a guy that needs to sit we have to be patient. It’ll be a 2-3 year turn around process. Not just an insertion and immediate contention. 

if we as a fan base want instant gratification then we go the retread vet route. If we want sustained long term success we have to expect some lumps and have patience for a minimum of a year and likely two. (Same w Josh Allen taking off after 2+ years and the Diggs acquisition ) 

That’s why I don’t want him. It’s not fair either to fans or to the players. Winston probably can take you to the playoffs and play very well. Then what. Do they keep sitting Richardson for another year. Then your in Jordan love territory where you don’t know what you have and their contract comes do.

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You won’t be saying that when Reich has a SB within next few years. No one will care what they gave up. You can always fill those lost draft picks in FA.

He’s going to need to have many ‘good week of practices’ and ‘felt good’ on how we prepared this week for that to happen

12 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

FWIW, if we go Richardson or any developmental guy the fan base needs to be patient and expect exactly what you said you don’t want. We would likely sign a Jameis Winston type to play now and let Richardson learn. 

the blueprint is there. Hurts sat the first 12 games as a rookie. 

played the last 4. Got a taste. Then played the entire next season and was OK but not great. Even questions if he was the guy or not. 

then in year 3 and with a big investment in DeVonta and AJ brown he took off 

if we get a guy that needs to sit we have to be patient. It’ll be a 2-3 year turn around process. Not just an insertion and immediate contention. 

if we as a fan base want instant gratification then we go the retread vet route. If we want sustained long term success we have to expect some lumps and have patience for a minimum of a year and likely two. (Same w Josh Allen taking off after 2+ years and the Diggs acquisition ) 

I agree 100%. However, most fans and teams are not patient. Look what the Jets have done. They drafted Darnold and Zach Wilson high; yet they gave up on them after a year or two.  

I would love to be in a position to draft a guy and let him sit a year or two to develop into a top player. Unfortunately, my team rarely picks in the top 5. Only once in my thirty plus years of being a fan have they drafted 4 or higher. 

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

You keep seeming to miss that Indy is looking to build a scheme around an accurate pocket passing QB. Thats why Steichen emphasized Throwing to score first. Unlike Frank who in his Carolina presser emphasized Running the football.

Frank only said the league is moving towards having more movement type QBs, and his comment on running the football was just about the emphasis on running the ball. He did emphasize on dual threat QBs, nowhere he leaned on more of a mobile QB than pocket passing QB. 

What he said may fit Young and Levis as well, and if they think Stroud is dual threat too. It will fit Richardson if they believe in his passing ability. 

How do you conclude he meant exactly Richardson? 

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s why I don’t want him. It’s not fair either to fans or to the players. Winston probably can take you to the playoffs and play very well. Then what. Do they keep sitting Richardson for another year. Then your in Jordan love territory where you don’t know what you have and their contract comes do.

I totally get it. But that’s why you have to be ready to move on now matter how good the vet plays. Alex smith was solid. Still moved on a year later when Mahomes was ready. Wentz wasn’t terrible in Philly and they still moved on to hurts when it was time. You have a plan and stick to it. 

thenother reality is if we play a guy to get him experience early you run into the Zach Wilson stuff. He looks terrible. Confidence shattered. And the entire fan base claims the number 4 pick is a bust and calls for Ballards head for drafting some raw unprepared bust. 

that’s why this is the long game. 

2-3 years starts now. We need to strap in for a bumpy ride for a bit snd hope we come out on top on the other side. 

12 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

He’s going to need to have many ‘good week of practices’ and ‘felt good’ on how we prepared this week for that to happen

Fill those weak spots with Free Agents. She has No Clue they have little cap space NOW! 
 Post Sirriani we were not well prepared and players were not being held accountable.
Welcome to FranksWorld.

I totally get it. But that’s why you have to be ready to move on now matter how good the vet plays. Alex smith was solid. Still moved on a year later when Mahomes was ready. Wentz wasn’t terrible in Philly and they still moved on to hurts when it was time. You have a plan and stick to it. 

thenother reality is if we play a guy to get him experience early you run into the Zach Wilson stuff. He looks terrible. Confidence shattered. And the entire fan base claims the number 4 pick is a bust and calls for Ballards head for drafting some raw unprepared bust. 

2-3 years starts now. We need to strap in for a bumpy ride for a bit snd hope we come out on top on the other side. 

You are wasting your time with this one Tom. She has thousands of post repeating the same. Better to pound your own head against a rock.

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Of the QBs this year, is there one you prefer? 

Just now, NFLfan said:

I wanted Young but since that is out of the picture, I would go after Lamar Jackson who is still only 26 and is a franchise QB. That is the only way we can compete against KC, Cincy, or Buffalo come playoff time. It is time to poop or get off the pot and do something big.

Just now, NFLfan said:

truthfully, I genuinely can see a path to success w each of the four. But that path looks different for each. 

I pretty much wrote off young early on despite loving what he can do simply based on the likelihood he wouldn’t fit our profile. 

I had sold myself on the idea of Stroud as a Burrow-like potential guy. He also has the best mix of upside and immediate contribution. 

but lately I’ve grown into the “be patient” mindset snd would ideally want the player w the best traits and upside. If we miss so be it. We have missed the last few years anyhow. Eventually if you miss enough you fall into a chance to not miss. Ala Cincy w burrow and Jax w Lawrence. 

so I’m all for Richardson or Levis. Swing big and miss big as long as our future draft capital stays intact as a hedge. 

all things equal I’d go: Stroud, Richardson, Levis , Young in that order probably. 

but they’re all so different. Evidenced by the most and least accurate passers being my top 2 lol 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wanted Young but since that is out of the picture, I would go after Lamar Jackson who is still only 26 and is a franchise QB. That is the only way we can compete against KC, Cincy, or Buffalo come playoff time. It is time to poop or get off the pot and do something big.

I don't like that plan. The best plan is to draft a QB and build a strong team around him. I would not have paid Daniel Jones what the Giants gave him (and I like him). I would not give Lamar what he is asking for. Look what Cousin's contract did to us. We are losing all of our valued players because his contract is one that is hard to break from (lots of dead money if cut). 

If I were a GM, I would draft a QB every few years like the Pats and Eagles have. If I luck out and get a Mahomes or even Allen, then I pay him what he wants. Otherwise, I will pay a QB what works for the team. I'm not paying over a certain percentage of the cap for a QB unless the QB can do more with less. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

I don't like that plan. The best plan is to draft a QB and build a strong team around him. I would not have paid Daniel Jones what the Giants gave him (and I like him). I would not give Lamar what he is asking for. Look what Cousin's contract did to us. We are losing all of our valued players because his contract is one that is hard to break from (lots of dead money if cut). 

If I were a GM, I would draft a QB every few years like the Pats and Eagles have. If I luck out and get a Mahomes or even Allen, then I pay him what he wants. Otherwise, I will pay a QB what works for the team. I'm not paying over a certain percentage of the cap for a QB unless the QB can do more with less. 

Lamar is twice as good as Jones is and he is better than Cousins. He is only 26 years old as well. I am not buying he was even seriously injured last year, he sat out for different reasons which I have already explained. Lamar was an MVP and was a top 5 QB just 2 years ago. Pair him up with Taylor and 1 great WR, we could turn our situation around quickly. It will never happen though because Ballard is so conservative and we will continue to be mediocre. You can build around Lamar, Baltimore has just failed him. Jones didn't deserve the money I agree - he is average is why, at least Cousins went 13-4 and got you to the playoffs. Cousins isn't great but he is borderline good.

truthfully, I genuinely can see a path to success w each of the four. But that path looks different for each. 

I pretty much wrote off young early on despite loving what he can do simply based on the likelihood he wouldn’t fit our profile. 

I had sold myself on the idea of Stroud as a Burrow-like potential guy. He also has the best mix of upside and immediate contribution. 

but lately I’ve grown into the “be patient” mindset snd would ideally want the player w the best traits and upside. If we miss so be it. We have missed the last few years anyhow. Eventually if you miss enough you fall into a chance to not miss. Ala Cincy w burrow and Jax w Lawrence. 

so I’m all for Richardson or Levis. Swing big and miss big as long as our future draft capital stays intact as a hedge. 

all things equal I’d go: Stroud, Richardson, Levis , Young in that order probably. 

but they’re all so different. Evidenced by the most and least accurate passers being my top 2 lol 

Thanks. I think having a head coach like Steichen is an asset, as I believe he will succeed with any of the QBs. He will use the QB's strengths and put him in a position to succeed. 

I like Young the best but it is because I value football intelligence and I think it goes a long way to helping teams win. I am very impressed with his smarts. However he is small in stature and if he does not have protection, he may not succeed.

Who knows? I think fans have to adopt a "Don't Worry. Be Happy" approach. I would be very excited drafting 4 whether it is a QB or other player. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I think having a head coach like Steichen is an asset, as I believe he will succeed with any of the QBs. He will use the QB's strengths and put him in a position to succeed. 

I like Young the best but it is because I value football intelligence and I think it goes a long way to helping teams win. I am very impressed with his smarts. However he is small in stature and if he does not have protection, he may not succeed.

Who knows? I think fans have to adopt a "Don't Worry. Be Happy" approach. I would be very excited drafting 4 whether it is a QB or other player. 

I think Young is the best as well, I just didn't want to devalue Tom's opinion.

11 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Well then you are a very poor judge of yourself.  Add that to your insecurities.  Lol

you are an excellent poster 

Much appreciated. I think you and a very large portion of people on here are better. Sometimes I let my emotions get me. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lamar is twice as good as Jones is and he is better than Cousins. He is only 26 years old as well. I am not buying he was even seriously injured last year, he sat out for different reasons which I have already explained. Lamar was an MVP and was a top 5 QB just 2 years ago. Pair him up with Taylor and 1 great WR, we could turn our situation around quickly. It will never happen though because Ballard is so conservative and we will continue to be mediocre. You can build around Lamar, Baltimore has just failed him. Jones didn't deserve the money I agree - he is average is why, at least Cousins went 13-4 and got you to the playoffs. Cousins isn't great but he is borderline good.

But we are losing our assets left and right because of the Cousins contract. We cut Eric Kendricks and Adam Thielen, two of the top ten players on our team. We still have to cut more to get under the cap. We might lose Dalvin Cook and Harrison Smith. If only we could cut Cousins without being subjected to dead money, we could keep all of our other guys.

Point is:  go with a young guy that does that take up 15% of your cap. I don't think Lamar is bad just as I don't think Cousins is bad. It is the contracts that they sign that I am afraid of. What more did Lamar want than what he was offered.

Anyway, back to the topic, if I was a Colts fan I would be elated that my team did not mortgage the future to acquire a higher pick. Remember the Jets moving up for Darnold and Chicago moving up for Trubisky? Nah, let my QB fall to me. :)

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No, @TomDiggs's opinion is welcome and I appreciate it. I just like Young. 

Having different opinions does not mean that I don't appreciate another's opinion. Just because I don't want to pay Lamar does not mean that your wanting Lamar is bad. It makes sense. He is young which is important to me. However he will cost too much. I just have a different approach. (I'm the one who like singles and doubles and not home runs. :) )

43 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Frank only said the league is moving towards having more movement type QBs, and his comment on running the football was just about the emphasis on running the ball. He did emphasize on dual threat QBs, nowhere he leaned on more of a mobile QB than pocket passing QB. 

What he said may fit Young and Levis as well, and if they think Stroud is dual threat too. It will fit Richardson if they believe in his passing ability. 

How do you conclude he meant exactly Richardson? 

Very easy. #1 They are in Carolina in Cam Newton country on a team that knows exactly what to do with a QB like Richardson.  You most certainly cant rule it out. And the rumors and reports are there as well. Should certainly be a consideration

More than a week ago, Matt Miller of ESPN reported that Carolina is “all in on Anthony Richardson.”

“I think it’s a good situation for Richardson,” Miller said. “You can bring back Sam Darnold, who can really hold the door for a year and let someone like Richardson develop. I think you get him on the field immediately, see some packages for him — a lot like we saw at Florida in 2021 — but then you get him more ready to be that starter in 2024. I do think this is an ideal situation for him as a guy who it’s really dealing like it’s a lock for him to be a Top 10 pick.”

https://fansided.com/2023/03/10/nfl-rumors-panthers-signaled-qb-draft/

As well it just doesnt make much sense to build a running offense around a pure pocket passing QB like Stroud. And then they gave away all their draft picks and they have no WR. I wouldnt really even say Stroud is entirely dual threat bc you wont use him on the ground very much. And Young is just not the type of QB Frank has ever targeted size wise for his scheme. I completely dont see it with him at all. What got the Eagles in the Super Bowl on offense is primarily being able to take that QB and use him as a real extension of the ground game during passes and designed runs. Why did the Eagles move to this? Bc they didnt have a ground game before that.  Does Carolina currently have any major threats at RB? No they traded Mcaffrey to San Fran. You can start building that running game with that move quarterback and go from there. Problem is thats not Stroud and I highly doubt Frank wants Young. If you use your QB like Cam or Hurts then accuracy is not as highly coveted so you dont necessarily need a Stroud type thrower. Richardson has elite type traits as a runner, not that bad as a short thrower and has a really strong arm in the vertical game although hed stink right now if you tried to emphasize passing.  But you can absolutely use him right now if you want the Philly approach. Philly was a top rushing team and that is Franks MO.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But we are losing our assets left and right because of the Cousins contract. We cut Eric Kendricks and Adam Thielen, two of the top ten players on our team. We still have to cut more to get under the cap. We might lose Dalvin Cook and Harrison Smith. If only we could cut Cousins without being subjected to dead money, we could keep all of our other guys.

Point is:  go with a young guy that does that take up 15% of your cap. I don't think Lamar is bad just as I don't think Cousins is bad. It is the contracts that they sign that I am afraid of. What more did Lamar want than what he was offered.

Anyway, back to the topic, if I was a Colts fan I would be elated that my team did not mortgage the future to acquire a higher pick. Remember the Jets moving up for Darnold and Chicago moving up for Trubisky? Nah, let my QB fall to me. :)

Vikings won a lot of close games last year and a lot of it was due to Cousins. I think 11-0 in games decided by 3 or less. With an average QB, the Vikings may not have been .500. No matter how one slices it, you need a good QB to win. Vikings downfall was their defense. 

Sounds like I am in the minority here, but when I heard this news yesterday I was ecstatic! I was hoping the Colts wouldn't sell the farm to move up 3 spots.

I think they believe they can work with and win with any of these guys. As well, I think they really like Anthony Richardson (much to the chagrin of some on here). They have been scouting him for quite sometime. I would be pumped if they landed him, for to me he is that home run swing of a pick. 

Also, this could play out in different ways that could all work to how the Colts really wanted anyway. We just don't know. This class could be riddled with Hall of Famers, or riddled with bust. Time will tell... And for those that like CJ or Bryce there is honestly a chance one of them are there when the Colts pick, or at least at 3 to trade to that spot if they want one. As small of a chance as it may seem, you don't know what teams like and who they will go for.

If a Peyton Manning type player was there, then sure trade the farm, but he is not. A lot of QB's in the past 10 years have been considered risky picks and picks people touted would be bust and were bad picks at those times. Many over that span are some of the top QB's in the league right now. Time will tell people. It always does!

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Very easy. #1 They are in Carolina in Cam Newton country on a team that knows exactly what to do with a QB like Richardson.  You most certainly cant rule it out. And the rumors and reports are there as well. Should certainly be a consideration

More than a week ago, Matt Miller of ESPN reported that Carolina is “all in on Anthony Richardson.”

“I think it’s a good situation for Richardson,” Miller said. “You can bring back Sam Darnold, who can really hold the door for a year and let someone like Richardson develop. I think you get him on the field immediately, see some packages for him — a lot like we saw at Florida in 2021 — but then you get him more ready to be that starter in 2024. I do think this is an ideal situation for him as a guy who it’s really dealing like it’s a lock for him to be a Top 10 pick.”

As well it just doesnt make much sense to build a running offense around a pure pocket passing QB like Stroud. And then they gave away all their draft picks and they have no WR. I wouldnt really even say Stroud is entirely dual threat bc you wont use him on the ground very much. And Young is just not the type of QB Frank has ever targeted size wise for his scheme. I completely dont see it with him at all. What got the Eagles in the Super Bowl on offense is primarily being able to take that QB and use him as a real extension of the ground game during passes and designed runs. Why did the Eagles move to this? Bc they didnt have a ground game before that.  Does Carolina currently have any major threats at RB? No they traded Mcaffrey to San Fran. You can start building that running game with that move quarterback and go from there. Problem is thats not Stroud and I highly doubt Frank wants Young. If you use your QB like Cam or Hurts then accuracy is not as highly coveted so you dont necessarily need a Stroud type thrower.

The Panthers do have some good running backs on the roster, they’re just not elite. 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

As well it just doesnt make much sense to build a running offense around a pure pocket passing QB like Stroud. And then they gave away all their draft picks and they have no WR. I wouldnt really even say Stroud is entirely dual threat bc you wont use him on the ground very much. And Young is just not the type of QB Frank has ever targeted size wise for his scheme. I completely dont see it with him at all. What got the Eagles in the Super Bowl on offense is primarily being able to take that QB and use him as a real extension of the ground game during passes and designed runs. Why did the Eagles move to this? Bc they didnt have a ground game before that.  Does Carolina currently have any major threats at RB? No they traded Mcaffrey to San Fran. You can start building that running game with that move quarterback and go from there. Problem is thats not Stroud and I highly doubt Frank wants Young. If you use your QB like Cam or Hurts then accuracy is not as highly coveted so you dont necessarily need a Stroud type thrower.

Hey, you move to No.3, if Stroud or Young are there, you at least give yourself a chance.

Ballard needs to move to No.3, and yes I’m a broken record for the move up to No. 3 :) 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Vikings won a lot of close games last year and a lot of it was due to Cousins. I think 11-0 in games decided by 3 or less. With an average QB, the Vikings may not have been .500. No matter how one slices it, you need a good QB to win. Vikings downfall was their defense. 

I get that but we still lost in the first round of the playeoffs. We might win 4 games or less next year because we don't have enough players to play with Cousins. I would rather keep the other players and go with Nick Mullens, Cooper Rush or other QB that does not cost too much.

I strongly believe in football being a complementary game. I do not want one player taking up a lot of my cap at the expense of other players. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I get that but we still lost in the first round of the playeoffs. We might win 4 games or less next year because we don't have enough players to play with Cousins. I would rather keep the other players and go with Nick Mullens, Cooper Rush or other QB that does not cost too much.

I strongly believe in football being a complementary game. I do not want one player taking up a lot of my cap at the expense of other players. 

To your last sentence nor do I but without a good QB you aren't winning a SB which is the ultimate goal unless you have a defense like 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears.

10 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Panthers do have some good running backs on the roster, they’re just not elite. 

They are decent

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hey, you move to No.3, if Stroud or Young are there, you at least give yourself a chance.

Ballard needs to move to No.3, and yes I’m a broken record for the move up to No. 3 :) 

I want to move to 3 as well

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You liking one best that I may not is actually welcome. I love hearing all opinions and takes to learn more myself. 

I admit In a vacuum my ranking would be Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson. 

but I just alter my preference based on what I think we can do with each and how they fit not just now but in 3+ years. 

if our line was a top-5 unit again I’d be all for young. 

my fear is he gets killed and we have not as much threat of him running at the pro level due to size concerns. But again that’s just my opinion and he could be amazing here or anywhere if he lives up to his potential 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

They are decent

I want to move to 3 as well

They should resign Foreman for sure. He’s now twice taken over for an all star running back and matched the production. First with replacing an injured Henry and now with McCaffrey. I imagine Foreman with Richardson would be music to Reich’s ears if he can convince the front office. 

Id be somewhat alright with Richardson for Indy and not against it as i have been if we were talking about running the football a lot Philly style and we didnt already have Taylor. Problem is our staff is talking about being a primary passing team. And thats not Richardson strength. If Steichen came out talking about doing what they did in Philly id be more inclined towards the idea bc we can take more advantage of his feet now and teach the passing skills as we go. But first thing out his mouth was passing. Plus i dont think what they do in Philly is as needed here bc we have Taylor and Moss to spark the ground game. Since we want to pass more I think Stroud, Young, and Levis fit our approach better.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it came down to that I would take AR without hesitation.

I don’t think I would be so quick to pick AR15 unless we had a really good veteran quarterback to bridge him. Levis on the other hand I could see the Colts throwing right into the fire.

Archived