Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After the combine - which QB is the best for the Colts? POLL

After the combine - which QB is the best for the Colts?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB is the best fit for the Colts after the combine results ?

• Bryce Young
    • CJ Stroud
    • Will Levis
    • Anthony Richardson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you think the Colts will actually take/get

• Bryce Young
    • CJ Stroud
    • Will Levis
    • Anthony Richardson
    • Other

• Happy2BeHere changed the title to After the combine - which QB is the best for the Colts? POLL

The only loser in my eyes at the Combine was Levis.  Outside of the first route (in which he looked good), I didn’t like Levis’ passing.  And he was a loser on the podium, too.  Came off as cocky.  I didn’t like Stroud on the podium either, but he was unbelievable in the drills IMO.  Richardson was great in the press conference.  Seemed like a really cool dude.  And he looked a lot better than Levis throwing the ball IMO.  Young was the best on the podium - seemed like a humble, but quietly confident guy.  The combine muddied things up for me, as I came in as a solid Stroud guy, and now I have a growing appreciation of Richardson and Young…

18 minutes ago, Archer said:

The only loser in my eyes at the Combine was Levis.  Outside of the first route (in which he looked good), I didn’t like Levis’ passing.  And he was a loser on the podium, too.  Came off as cocky.  I didn’t like Stroud on the podium either, but he was unbelievable in the drills IMO.  Richardson was great in the press conference.  Seemed like a really cool dude.  And he looked a lot better than Levis throwing the ball IMO.  Young was the best on the podium - seemed like a humble, but quietly confident guy.  The combine muddied things up for me, as I came in as a solid Stroud guy, and now I have a growing appreciation of Richardson and Young…

Rhe one thing that  could off set Richardson's accuracy issues  are this receiving corp.  The tight ends and receivers are huge and this increases thier catch radius.  I am from  Saskatchewan and the Riders  head coach of  our CFL team believed in big receivers for that reason. He had athletic qbs and big  pass catchers. It could work lol.

I think Young and Levis were losers at the combine. Young because he measured at 5’10” tall and just over 200 pounds which isn’t his playing weight.

Levis seemed over confident and struggled with his throws. He did have the high pass velocity but that doesn’t mean much.

Richardson was by far and away the winner. He’s an extremely impressive athlete and he shows good accuracy.

Stroud was throwing great and showed some good velocity also.

Overall I think 3 QBs go top 5 Young, Stroud, and Richardson. For the Colts: Ballard has always said that game film holds way more weight than combine numbers. I think the Colts will go after Stroud unless Steichen falls in love with Richardson.

5 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Overall I think 3 QBs go top 5 Young, Stroud, and Richardson. For the Colts: Ballard has always said that game film holds way more weight than combine numbers. I think the Colts will go after Stroud unless Steichen falls in love with Richardson.

I agree.  I’ve been tempted to throw out Young due to his size and Ballard’s famous distaste for small players, but I have a sneaking feeling he’s in play for us too.  Off the charts intangibles.

I think AR15 came off well football I.Q. wise and heard he knows the X's & O's which is a pleasant surprise. No surprise he ran and jumped well. And has a very strong arm but accuracy needs improving. Definitely a Alpha Male

Levis, another Alpha Male and like AR15 his cockiness/confidence is a good, needed and welcomed trait for a QB. 

Stroud looks like a natural passer and that's a good trait for a QB plus he has mobility too.

Young is probably the most NFL ready and has a chance to be very good if he can withstand the punishment of playing in the nfl. 

I voted Young as best for the colts because I think he can play right away..it was  really more a toss up with Stroud.

I voted I think colts will wind up taking Levis because they will stand pat and some team will jump them and take AR15 ahead of them and Levis may be only one left at #4. I think even if the colts have a choice of AR15 or Levis they will choose Levis. 

I don’t think any of the QB’s stood out and I don’t think there’s a consensus number 1 pick.I really wish the Colts would take either Carter or Anderson at 4 and in the 2nd take Duggan or Hooker.But I don’t see that happening so if I have to pick one of those 4 I think we end up taking Stroud.

After the combine, I feel better with picking any of them.  They are none perfect but I feel they all showed their strengths are legit and enough to work with and develop into a franchise QB. 

The traits of these guys would be ridiculous to make a Frankenstein monster out of. 

I’ll be pumped with any of them. Though I think at this moment I have Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis. But so close I won’t complain regardless of the pick. 

I think Stroud stood out in the passing drills. Easily a step above the others. A bit surprised we haven't anything about his interviews.

Richardson is athletically really impressive, but his poor accuracy showed in my opinion. He's a project.

The ball jumped off Levis hands, but he also showed his overconfidence in the first two deep balls that went short.

I'd prefer Stroud, then Richardson, then Levis.

I picked Levis because I'm falling away from Stroud due to his size, frankly.   6'3"/214 is not great, IMO.  Unless he has power like Hurts that can make up for lack of weight/frame, I think Stroud is best suited to be a pocket passer.  Levis is already 229.

And the combine did not really answer questions about Stroud playing out of structure.  While he had a great games against UGA, Levis probably made 10 times as many of those plays during each of the past two seasons.  Although some resulted in interceptions too.

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Rhe one thing that  could off set Richardson's accuracy issues  are this receiving corp.  The tight ends and receivers are huge and this increases thier catch radius.  I am from  Saskatchewan and the Riders  head coach of  our CFL team believed in big receivers for that reason. He had athletic qbs and big  pass catchers. It could work lol.

No Way Bounce GIF

I’m slightly down on Young too. It’s not just the height, but I can’t help but wonder if one of the reasons he didn’t throw at the combine was because he doesn’t have the arm talent the other 3 guys have.

It also dawned on me that the last couple of QBs from Alabama all looked equally good in college. Tua, Hurts (before he was benched), and Max Jones were all really good in that same system. But Tua and Mac (both had just average traits as well) have had mixed results in the NFL.

I just wonder if the floor will always be greater than the ceiling because he doesn’t have enough unique traits for him to be truly special. When you read most of his scouting reports there’s nothing that jumps out. Seems like he’s really good at playing within the scheme and great at creating out of structure. Those are his best traits.

He’ll be QB4 for me. I’d rather take a swing on Richardson, Levis, or Stroud who are all bigger, more athletic, and have better arm talent. Those guys are who you want to go against Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert.

Not sure how some are thinking Levis failed? He still threw good in pretty well all scenarios. His deep ball wasn’t a high lofty ball, it was a flatter ball with higher velocity which I prefer. High balls that flutter tend to get picked off. I prefer a QB with a little personality honestly. If it’s between him or Richardson I think I’m taking Richardson though

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m slightly down on Young too. It’s not just the height, but I can’t help but wonder if one of the reasons he didn’t throw at the combine was because he doesn’t have the arm talent the other 3 guys have.

It also dawned on me that the last couple of QBs from Alabama all looked equally good in college. Tua, Hurts (before he was benched), and Max Jones were all really good in that same system. But Tua and Mac (both had just average traits as well) have had mixed results in the NFL.

I just wonder if the floor will always be greater than the ceiling because he doesn’t have enough unique traits for him to be truly special. When you read most of his scouting reports there’s nothing that jumps out. Seems like he’s really good at playing within the scheme and great at creating out of structure. Those are his best traits.

He’ll be QB4 for me. I’d rather take a swing on Richardson, Levis, or Stroud who are all bigger, more athletic, and have better arm talent. Those guys are who you want to go against Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Herbert.

Im not sure what you’re reading about Young’s best traits, but I don’t think I agree with your assessment.  

“Nothing that jumps out at you” ????

Young is off the charts great at everything you can’t measure with a tape, or scale or stop watch.   His leadership, poise, pocket awareness, pre-snap read, post snap reads,  processing information.   On and on, that’s what everyone RAVES about with Young. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Im not sure what you’re reading about Young’s best traits, but I don’t think I agree with your assessment.  

“Nothing that jumps out at you” ????

Young is off the charts great at everything you can’t measure with a tape, or scale or stop watch.   His leadership, poise, pocket awareness, pre-snap read, post snap reads,  processing information.   On and on, that’s what everyone RAVES about with Young. 

If I had to choose 1 QB to take, I am taking Young. His size doesn't bother me. He has everything you would want in a QB except he isn't 6'4. Brees and Wilson are barely 6'0 tall if that and they are Hall of Famers. Fran Tarkenton is another.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I had to choose 1 QB to take, I am taking Young. His size doesn't bother me. He has everything you would want in a QB except he isn't 6'4. Brees and Wilson are barely 6'0 tall if that and they are Hall of Famers. Fran Tarkenton is another.

Your risk tolerance is different than mine.  Notice I’m not saying better or worse, just different.   

As for height, you continue to miss the point.   Height isn’t the issue.  Body type is.   Young is slender, looking more like a baseball player or a golfer than a football player.   Brees and Wilson are much more stocky.  Even Murray is stocky compared to Young.   And Tarkenton played back in the 60’s and 70’s when there was no such thing as 300 pound lineman.   50 years later, it’s an entirely different world that players live in.  

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your risk tolerance is different than mine.  Notice I’m not saying better or worse, just different.   

As for height, you continue to miss the point.   Height isn’t the issue.  Body type is.   Young is slender, looking more like a baseball player or a golfer than a football player.   Brees and Wilson are much more stocky.  Even Murray is stocky compared to Young.   And Tarkenton played back in the 60’s and 70’s when there was no such thing as 300 pound lineman.   50 years later, it’s an entirely different world that players live in.  

His size doesn't bother me either. He weighed in at 204 at the combine (which is a legit weight right there for everyone to see - no lies) and I will stick to my guns and say he will gain 10 more pounds by opening day. The NFL trainers and nutritionist are on a different level than they are in college. He will be at least 210 at worse when all said and done, JMO. Just by lifting weights you can gain 10 pounds of muscle over a few months with a great protein diet.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His size doesn't bother me either. He weighed in at 204 at the combine (which is a legit weight right there for everyone to see - no lies) and I will stick to my guns and say he will gain 10 more pounds by opening day. The NFL trainers and nutritionist are on a different level than they are in college. He will be at least 210 at worse when all said and done, JMO. Just by lifting weights you can gain 10 pounds of muscle over a few months with a great protein diet.

And as a pro he will have a lot more money to eat!!! haha

10 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think Stroud stood out in the passing drills. Easily a step above the others. A bit surprised we haven't anything about his interviews.

Richardson is athletically really impressive, but his poor accuracy showed in my opinion. He's a project.

The ball jumped off Levis hands, but he also showed his overconfidence in the first two deep balls that went short.

I'd prefer Stroud, then Richardson, then Levis.

I thought Richardson was MUCH more accurate than I expected.  It was Levis that I thought struggled with accuracy…

On 3/4/2023 at 11:07 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

You’re not off base here. I feel the same way that AR needs big tall WRs with good catch radius. That was a reason Wentz got more out of Pittman than Ryan. Timing offenses are what Peyton and Ryan ran most of their lives. It takes a LOT of work between QB and pass catchers for chemistry. With us changing QBs so many times, it wasn’t easy to establish quickly and thus not productive consistently.

With the bigger WRs drafted, an athletic QB would be the way to go that could pass well on the move. I’d love to get Stroud first but if he isn’t there, I’d like to cash in on the AR talent and developing it.

Look into these guys family backgrounds and history.

guys from football families succeed much more at qb than those who are not from a football or even a high level (college)

sport background. Those who eat film…have more success. So who are those guys here? I need to still look at hooker but..

shroud- dad in jail?

young- educators parents 

richardson- no idea who his dad is

levis- football coaching family background 

Archived