Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Combine: News, Measurements, Testing, Discussions

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No I get it. Especially for pass rushers. I think of Ade Ogundeji or Julian Okwara who had almost identical builds and tested amazing, but haven’t amounted to much in the NFL. Foskey had a lot of production though. Back to back seasons with 11.5 sacks. 

Id say take him 2nd round but I know people would say he’s just another typical Ballard 2nd round edge rusher lol. African, elite athlete, and senior bowl guy.

African:   Who cares?

Elite Athlete:  isn’t that good?

Senior Bowl:  isn’t that good?

You yourself noted he has two years of good production.  I’m with you,  I like him at pick 35.   

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize its early at the Combine, but the Colts already have a few players that match former draft strategy.  More will be added and verified as the combine continues but so far here is my ongoing list of top draft prospects for the Colts in Round 2:

• MLB Jack Campbell (Iowa) - Great athletic that test well at the combine 9.98 RAS – won 2022 Butkus Award as the top LB and William V Campbell Trophy as a scholar-athlete.  Named Nagurski-Woodson Defensive POY - Depends on what happens with Okereke
  • LDE/LDT Colby Wooden (Auburn) – earning top marks at Combine (Ranked 1stProduction/Athleticism/Total Score) – 5-tech like Buckner 9.53 RAS - to me too soon to be looking for Buckner's replacement but Wooden would be the future if we do move on sooner rather than later

• Edge Isaiah Foskey (ND) - Scored a 9.54 RAS and is being compared to Yannick Ngakoue - could be a cheaper option to draft/sign

• Edge Nolan Smith (Georgia) - blazing fast 4.39 40-yard, 41.5 vertical and 10' 8" broad jump and had a 9.20 RAS

• Edge Derick Hall (Auburn) impressive 4.55 40-yard with a 9.22 RAS

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The arms are really really short.   And small hands too.   So many are trying to make the comparison to Aaron Donald.   I think it’s a little over-blown.   But his stock seems to be up.   

Yeah, that comparison is a bit unfair to the kid, but he really is similar when it comes to stature and style of play. It's very likely he never becomes anything close to the player Donald has been, but yeah... I don't think as a stylistic comp it's too bad. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Some people knock Ballard for going almost exclusively for high level athletes but at least at DE IMO it's very understandable. Athleticism wins in the NFL:

Of all the players we’ve taken a pass on, the one that makes me scratch my head the most is Maxx Crosby.    He went in the 19 draft,  and not until the top of the 4th round, just ahead of the Colts taking Khari Willis.   

But the Colts picked both Banogu and Okereke in the 3rd instead.   I wonder what the Colts didn’t like about Crosby?    What was the deal breaker?    To me, this one is a big miss.   

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of all the players we’ve taken a pass on, the one that makes me scratch my head the most is Maxx Crosby.    He went in the 19 draft,  and not until the top of the 4th round, just ahead of the Colts taking Khari Willis.   

But the Colts picked both Banogu and Okereke in the 3rd instead.   I wonder what the Colts didn’t like about Crosby?    What was the deal breaker?    To me, this one is a big miss.   

Yeah, no idea... he was from a small school so it's possible our scouting network didn't quite reach him and he flew under our radar, but not sure this is a good excuse. 

Results from the Combine are reporting that lots of EDGEs and potential 3 Tech DLs impressed with their size, quickness, and position drill performance.  Some big surprises.  Perhaps its deeper there than previously thought.

Just saying, it makes potentially trading Buckner doable if the draft has more players that could backfill his position and be in their prime when the new QB is.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Results from the Combine are reporting that lots of EDGEs and potential 3 Tech DLs impressed with their size, quickness, and position drill performance.  Some big surprises.  Perhaps its deeper there than previously thought.

Just saying, it makes potentially trading Buckner doable if the draft has more players that could backfill his position and be ready when the new QB is.

I agree but there will be short term pain with parting with Buckner, mainly because DL and DE require seasoning going against NFL caliber OL, from a strength and technique point of view. Buckner was seasoned enough when Ballard pulled the trigger and if not for the QB situation, there would be no second guessing of that move because Buckner has fortified our D as a leader and hasn't missed too many games either.

We got our bang for our buck and while it is good to have a plan behind him, we better get real good compensation for the pain short term, if we trade him.

Jack Campbell official 40 time was a 4.65 which is insane for a 250 lb off-ball linebacker. Also had a 6.74 3-cone which is bananas.

The tape is elite too. On the NFL stock Exchange podcast they said Campbell doesn’t have any bad tape. Maybe one bad play in a game, but all of his tape is excellent. He may be a better version of Leighton Vander-Esch.

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

are you aware of his character issues though? He was dismissed from both Georgia and Florida.

Thanks, didn't know... this seems serious enough to throw some doubt into whether he will be a fit here at all... 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

are you aware of his character issues though? He was dismissed from both Georgia and Florida.

You sure that is Gervon Dexter?

I don't see anything online that mentions him ever being associated with Georgia, not being dismissed from any team.

Were you thinking of Brenton Cox?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Just saying, it makes potentially trading Buckner doable if the draft has more players that could backfill his position and be in their prime when the new QB is.

Buckner and Moore for Chicago's 2nd and 3rd.

15 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

You sure that is Gervon Dexter?

I don't see anything online that mentions him ever being associated with Georgia, not being dismissed from any team.

Were you thinking of Brenton Cox?

You seem to be right, I was trying to find about Dexter's problems, but didn't find anything and instead something showed up about Cox being dismissed from Florida. 

48 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Buckner and Moore for Chicago's 2nd and 3rd.

I don't think CHI is interested in giving up the potential for two very good young players to get our old and expensive players.  I'd like it, but I doubt CHI would do it.

Look at all those LONG corners! This is insane! Ballard must come away from this draft with at least one CB... 

Joey Porter Jr., Penn State- 34

Julius Brents, Kansas State- 34

Darius Rush, South Carolina- 33 3/8

Terell Smith, Minnesota- 32 7/8

Anthony Johnson, Virginia- 32 5/8

Rejzohn Wright, Oregon State- 32 1/2

Jay Ward, LSU- 32 1/2

Eli Ricks, Alabama- 32 3/8

Darrell Luter Jr, South Alabama- 32 3/8

Nic Jones, Ball State- 32 3/8

Tyrique Stevenson, Miami- 32 3/8

Cory Trice Jr., Purdue- 32 3/8

Lance Boykin, Coastal Carolina- 32 3/8

Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State- 32 1/4

Mekhi Garner, LSU- 32 1/4

Carrington Valentine, Kentucky- 32 1/4

Christian Gonzalez, Oregon- 32

Kyu Blu Kelly, Stanford- 32

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't think CHI is interested in giving up the potential for two very good young players to get our old and expensive players.  I'd like it, but I doubt CHI would do it.

IS interested?
  Like you have first hand knowledge. chuckle.

There is a huge rub with YOUR thinking perhaps.

A couple of good rookie prospects will take 2-3 years to get good, if they do at all.

Sounds like you have No Clue that they have $100M that they can spend.

And i'll bet they spend a chunk of it somewhere.

Neither of these two are OLD BTW. Buckner is one of the best as you should know, and KENNY desperately needs to get back to EB because EB knows how to use him.

Chicago is in position to be divisional contenders again by next year and EB, I AM SURE, would love to have those two leading the defensive resurgance.

And No, i don't think Irsay has the nuts to think we are in a 2-3 year rebuild so WE wouldn't do it anyway.

Buckner should be playing for a contender, I hope he asks to be traded, quietly.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think you’re right.   At least not for a 2 and a 3.    Maybe something more modest.  

12 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

IS interested?
  Like you have first hand knowledge. chuckle.

There is a huge rub with YOUR thinking perhaps.

A couple of good rookie prospects will take 2-3 years to get good, if they do at all.

Sounds like you have No Clue that they have $100M that they can spend.

And i'll bet they spend a chunk of it somewhere.

Neither of these two are OLD BTW. Buckner is one of he best as you should know, and KENNY desperately needs to get back to EB because EB knows how to use him.

Chicago is in position to be divisional contenders again by next year and EB, I AM SURE, would love to have those two leading the defensive resurgance.

And No, i don't think Irsay has the nuts to think we are in a 2-3 year rebuild so WE wouldn't do it anyway.

"I don't think" tends to indicate that I am not certain about anything said after that.

I think Buckner and Moore will be past their primes when CHI is ready to compete for the Division/Conference.  Like us, they would want more younger players to build with.  I'd think that JT, Pitt, Franklin, Rogers, etc would be players CHI wants.

I think Buck and Moore are the vet players that teams buy/rent because they are ready to win more playoff games now.  So show me a playoff team that has cap space and needs defense and I think those teams are better fits than CHI. 

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

"I don't think" tends to indicate that I am not certain about anything said after that.

I think Buckner and Moore will be past their primes when CHI is ready to compete for the Division/Conference.  Like us, they would want more younger players to build with.  I'd think that JT, Pitt, Franklin, Rogers, etc would be players CHI wants.

I think Buck and Moore are the vet players that teams buy/rent because they are ready to win more playoff games now.  So show me a playoff team that has cap space and needs defense and I think those teams are better fits than CHI. 

I see our differences. Buckner will play next season at 29 years old, so I see a minimum of 3-4 more years of very high level play. 2-3 of those could be in the playoffs.

Kenny is only 27 so at least the same for him. EB, I Know, would love to have them. Chuckle 

You see them as gap pluggers, I think they are foundational.

Some 40s from the DBs: (Unofficial)

Alex Austin - 4.56 / 4.55 

Deonte Banks - 4.36 /4.35 !!!!

Jakorian Bennett - 4.31 !!!

Mekhi Blackmon 4.47

Brian Branch 4.58

Julius Brents 4.53

Arquon Bush 4.54

Kei'Trel Clark 4.42

Emmanuel Forbes 4.35

Mekhi Garner 4.55

Christian Gonzalez 4.44

Anthony Johnson 4.64

Jaylon Jones 4.60

Nic Jones 4.56

Kyu Blu Kelly 4.52

Darrell Luter Jr 4.46

Cameron Mitchell 4.48

Riley Moss 4.48

Clark Phillips III 4.51

Joey Porter Jr 4.47

Kelee Ringo 4.36

Darius Rush 4.37

Cam Smith 4.45

Terrell Smith 4.42

Tyrique Stevenson 4.46

Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson 4.42

Cory Trice Jr 4.51

DJ Turner II 4.27 !!!

Jay Ward 4.57

Just now, John Hammonds said:

Maybe he kept his weight down to improve on his 4.59 time in college.  And then will bulk up for his pro day, and weight in around 180 or so?

Was that 4.59 real?  4.59 to 4.35 is a huge difference in speed.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

You seem to be right, I was trying to find about Dexter's problems, but didn't find anything and instead something showed up about Cox being dismissed from Florida. 

Gervon Dexter was a great player and leader for Florida. He was a role model citizen, had a child last year and became a father, and even decided to play in their bowl game with nothing to prove. He just wanted to be there for his teammates....that is the kind of player you want.

Brenton Cox on the other hand was apparently a locker room distraction at both Georgia and Florida. He has football ability but would need a veteran locker room to keep him in line.

6 hours ago, Aces101 said:

Gervon Dexter was a great player and leader for Florida. He was a role model citizen, had a child last year and became a father, and even decided to play in their bowl game with nothing to prove. He just wanted to be there for his teammates....that is the kind of player you want.

Brenton Cox on the other hand was apparently a locker room distraction at both Georgia and Florida. He has football ability but would need a veteran locker room to keep him in line.

Dexter been on my draft watch list for a while now.  Thinking of Stewart comparisons late round 4-5 target off hand without my field notes.  

Was not a fun drive tonight around Indy loop with all this rain and wind and seeing some snow on vehicles.

Missing the combine this weekend but glad to be back home again.  Appreciate the updates you all keep posting.

QBs are throwing... 

Slants:

-Duggan with bad placement on first slant... 

- Will Levis... throwing... looks nice throwing the ball on the slants... 

Out route:

- Duggan late on out route... 

- Haener looks good... 

- Hall leaves the throws a bit too much to the inside... 

Dig routes:

- Haener looks good throwing it again...

- Hall behind on one and too much in front on the next throw.

- Levis looks good ... really good on this one... he looks like the best thrower in this group IMO

Archived