Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I really don’t think Ballard will let that happen. 

That rules out Richardson, But I do think Stroud is the perfect Ballard pick. He doesn't have the mind of Bryce Young or the elite measurables of Levis but I would say he does have a bit of both without the biggest faults (Young his lack of measurables and Levis his lack of anticipation on his throws) of the other two. He has a mind to throw with accuracy and anticipation with good measurables.

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Texans trade to 1 for QB1 then Bears draft WAJ 2! Colts call Cardinals to get QB2 and they want 2024 2nd! Do you accept?

I would try and trade our 2023 3rd rounder since it is a bit lower than our pick would of been, but everything else yes.

1 hour ago, Lurk McGurk said:

I don't understand how some people think there won't be big offers for the #1 pick.  Sure, there's not a generational QB in the draft, but then the cost of moving to #1 would become irrelevant because the Bears would take that QB and trade Fields.  No team that was bad enough to have #1 when Luck was drafted would've traded out.  The Colts were even willing to move on from Manning, and he won an MVP and went to 2 more Super Bowls after that.

There are 2-3 highly thought of QB's in this draft.  Everyone knows a QB is going #2 to Houston.  The reasonable assumption GM's are going to make is Chicago is trading #1 and 2 QB's are gone after the top 2 picks.  Fanduel has Young (-125) & Stroud (+220) as the clear top faves to go #1 overall and that would be assuming a trade.  There will also be the possibility of someone desperately trying to move up to get QB3 with Arizona if QB's go 1 and 2.  The teams drafting #2 and #4 are division rivals and will be facing the QB's drafted twice a year, possibly for over a decade (assuming those teams want a QB which I think is a reasonable conclusion).  There's also a few other teams (some with a ton of draft capital) that need or could use a QB in the top 10.  Throw in that people's jobs are on the line and the "sit and wait for next year", or the "see who drops" theories lose steam.  While it's possible a team would value all of the top 3 fairly equally, considering fit/skills/traits, it's more likely that they don't.  They would also have to be confident that they would get 1 of the 3 even if they did.  The teams behind the Colts will be expecting that the top 3 QB's are all gone by pick #4 if the Bears trade and it's not with the Colts.

This is exactly the environment that would exist to make the #1 pick very valuable.  What else would there need to be?

It's because we don't want to have to give up a lot lol

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What if bears trade with Carolina for a QB. Then Texans take one. Then cardinals trade down and someone else takes a QB. Then all but Richardson is gone.

In that highly unlikely scenario draft Will Anderson Jr then QB round 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I saw someone make a comment that 3tech is more valuable to eberflus then edge. Having watched our pass rush with eberflus I believe that is true.

That's why I think the Bears only trade to 2 so they have the option 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard would be fired if he let that happen.

No he wouldn't 

https://theathletic.com/4101361/2023/01/18/colts-quarterback-bryce-young-will-levis?source=user-shared-article

Not an excuse, but every year we have a new quarterback,” Hines said after the Colts lost to the Titans in Week 4 and started the season 1-2-1. “So each year we have growing pains while we sit here and watch Tennessee, which has had (Ryan) Tannehill, what, my whole career? And each year we’re restarting and we have to turn the page.”

We need some stability, if that makes sense, especially at the most important position,” Alie-Cox said. “We’ve just been going through it, and it finally reared its head this year.”

The Bears find themselves in a unique situation with promising young quarterback Justin Fields already on the roster, but are they completely sold on him? “I’d have to be absolutely blown away to make that decision,” said Bears GM Ryan Poles, asked whether his team would draft a quarterback with the No. 1 pick to supplant Fields.

Not ruling it out was a smart decision on his part because even if Chicago sticks with Fields, by leaving the door slightly open, it creates more leverage with potential trade partners for the No. 1 pick. The Colts could be one of them.

Yes, I’d do whatever it takes,” said Ballard, asked whether he’d trade up to No. 1 for a superstar-caliber QB. “If we thought there’s a player that we’re driven to get that makes the franchise and the team better, that’s what we would do.”

https://theathletic.com/4101361/2023/01/18/colts-quarterback-bryce-young-will-levis?source=user-shared-article

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I saw someone make a comment that 3tech is more valuable to eberflus then edge. Having watched our pass rush with eberflus I believe that is true.

He has said multiple times this year that 3T is the most important position on his D.  Also, Carter appears to be the dream fit for a 4-3 at 3T, and Anderson may be a better fit for a 3-4.  Add in that it's considerably more difficult to find a premiere 3T as compared to a premiere edge rusher and I think the Bears will have a preference for Carter.

Just now, JColts72 said:

Ballard should resign after Irsay over rules him again by hiring Jeff. The top 3QBs should do an Elway and ask to be traded if Jeff is HC.

Jeff is not going to be hired as the HC. Jeff will more than likely be offered a position we just don't know which one. 

5 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Just not sure Irsay would sign-off on that. I think it would be a lead balloon and the reaction from the folks that buy the seats would be meltdown level.  I would have to think that Ballard would need leave his car running if he did not take a QB at #4 on April 27th.

maybe

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Isn’t 2 to 1 TD INT ratio pretty good? Everyone has been dragging him for int but that seems pretty good to me. I would of thought it was the opposite the way people have been talking.

I give Levis a pass because he had awful supporting cast

48 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Everyone list who they want at 4 

Top 5 choices

1. Bryce Young 

2. Will Levis 

3. CJ Stroud 

4. Will Anderson Jr 

5. Anthony Richardson 

Trade back

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Isn’t 2 to 1 TD INT ratio pretty good? Everyone has been dragging him for int but that seems pretty good to me. I would of thought it was the opposite the way people have been talking.

2:1 is horrible 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have heard coaches say that is desirable. Any better is just icing on the cake. Maybe the TD should be higher in a 2:1 ratio I just don’t know.

You know what that ratio means right… for every two touchdown pass, he’s throwing one interception… 

now 2:1 is way better than Matt Ryan’s ratio but I’d like to see better yet

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

You know what that ratio means right… for every two touchdown pass, he’s throwing one interception… 

now 2:1 is way better than Matt Ryan’s ratio but I’d like to see better yet

No I am stupid. For all the bickering about his decision making I thought it would of been something like 19 to 15 or something horrible like that. Yes it can be better but it’s not horrendous. 

Archived