Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio state seems to be making one announcement a day for their players. Stroud will be last. Fields in 21 declared in the last day. OSU will have a entire new Oline next season. It would not be smart to go back when you have a chance at 1 this year. Next years class is going to be good. The NIL money changes things bur I don’t think it will in this case.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:22 PM, DaColts85 said:

The Cards might be a spot for someone to trade just to leap us for a QB. I agree not to many teams will want to pay the price to move up to #1 I don’t think. 

I think you are onto something there. If picks one and two go by without the Colts moving up, can Indy afford to take that chance, because it’s too late for them to do anything about it at that point.  Another incentive for the Colts to trade up with the Bears it appears.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ohio state seems to be making one announcement a day for their players. Stroud will be last. Fields in 21 declared in the last day. OSU will have a entire new Oline next season. It would not be smart to go back when you have a chance at 1 this year. Next years class is going to be good. The NIL money changes things bur I don’t think it will in this case.

Basically, if you’re, with confidence, a projected 1st rounder, financially, it’s insane not to declare, especially if you’re projected to be drafted in the top half of the NFL draft.

Thank goodness Luck was nuts!

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Am I wrong in that all of these exorbitant prices paid over the years for the 1st and 2nd pick for a non generational QB have generally been abject failures, when retrospectively analyzed?  (Note, KC’s moving up for Mahomes was much more reasonable than so many of the other moves that were only a few spots, so I don’t include that one.)

I think it would be a HUGE mistake to pay a bunch to move up from the 4 spot.  Just stay put and let the chips fall where they may.  One of the top 4 (interchangeably ranked) QB prospects will be there and there will be free agent stop gap options available as well.  I say, stay put at 4!

Someone else gets it, thank you. 

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Basically, if you’re, with confidence, a projected 1st rounder, financially, it’s insane not to declare, especially if you’re projected to be drafted in the top half of the NFL draft.

Thank goodness Luck was nuts!

Luck and Herbert both. But both are brainiacs that are into their studies. Stroud isn’t a med major or anything.

21 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The same could be said of Edge Rushers…. If the deal is good enough, the Bears could trade further down and get their edge rusher next year (with multiple #1’s)  The Media might think the Bears have to get one of the top 2 defenders, but the Bears might not.  

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

People eat all kinda of weird stuff. I dip pizza in mustard.

This sounds like one of those "you dont have to get too personal to get all states personal price plan" commercials. Lol

15 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Sad how this has turned into food grossout thread. 

I still don't want anyone other than Young or Stoud with that fourth pick and tbh none too wild about either one anyway. 

I see no reason why Young can't be as good as Hurts. He will add 10-20 pound of muscle once he gets to the pro's as well. If we draft Young and hire a coach like Harbaugh to go along with Taylor and Pittman, we could easily win 9 or 10 games. We lost 3 games by 1 point this year with bad play.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see no reason why Young can't be as good as Hurts. He will add 10-20 pound of muscle once he gets to the pro's as well. If we draft Young and hire a coach like Harbaugh to go along with Taylor and Pittman, we could easily win 9 or 10 games. We lost 3 games by 1 point this year with bad play.

Young will be better than hurts. I believe he is a much better passer than hurts when he entered the league

53 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

How do you guys think the HC hire will have on who colts take at QB? You don’t think a HC could talk Ballard into young?

If it is Eric from the chiefs I could see him being successful with young because he is like a smaller Mahomes

18 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Did you see where arians said he thought he was or would have been better than manning and Brady

He would could have been top 5 at worse. JMO. Brady, Manning, Montana, Elway of course, even Aaron or old school Unitas but Andrew had it all = accuracy, speed, strength, and 3 11-5 seasons in a row with an average roster, average coach, no running game.

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hurts Weighed in at the combine at 222, his playing weight this year 223. 

28 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Hurts Weighed in at the combine at 222, his playing weight this year 223. 

Hurts weighed 205 in college and I know this for a fact because I followed him in college, he now weighs 223. Almost every NFL player puts on 10-20 pound of muscle when they are in the NFL for over a year, I can list you 100 examples of it if you want me too. Emmitt Smith weighed 195 as a RB at Florida but by 1992 he weighed 210 pounds and that was 30 years ago. Michael Jordan in the NBA weighed 192 pounds at NC but by 1991 he weighed 212 pounds because he was being bullied by Detroit. Anyone that doesn't think guys get bigger stronger when they enter the pro's need to study it more. That is just common sense.

Go back and look at a pic of Hurts in college and now, he looks like a hulk compared to then. lmao 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hurts weighed 205 in college and I know this for a fact because I followed him in college, he now weighs 223. Almost every NFL player puts on 10-20 pound of muscle when they are in the NFL for over a year, I can list you 100 examples of it if you want me too. Emmitt Smith weighed 195 as a RB at Florida but by 1992 he weighed 210 pounds and that was 30 years ago. Michael Jordan in the NBA weighed 192 pounds at NC but by 1991 he weighed 212 pounds because he was being bullied by Detroit. Anyone that doesn't think guys get bigger stronger when they enter the pro's need to study it more. That is just common sense.

Go back and look at a pic of Hurts in college and now, he looks like a hulk compared to then. lmao 

Not trying to give you a hard time here, but I can’t find anything to support your claims. 

I’m working from my phone and can’t link, but if you Google Hurts from Oklahoma the school listed Hurts his senior year as 6’2” and 218.   Looks like he’s gained roughly 5 pounds in the NFL.  

As for Smith, he might have weighed 195 as a freshman, but I don’t think that was his weight when he was drafted.  The only numbers I’ve seen for Smith are 216 and 221.    He might have weighed as little as 210 when he was drafted, but it’s hard to imagine any lighter, and I believe it was more.   Smith was a power back, his specialty was running between the tackles.  Speed wasn’t his game.   

Also….  I think if you look at the Colts roster, you’ll see the claim that almost every player gains roughly 10-20 pounds is false.   Some do, but not as many as you might think.   Besides, some players get to the NFL and actually lose weight, not gain. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m sorry but your wrong look up his combine weight it’s public information and you can’t cheat it. Between his combine weigh in and his current weight is 1 pound. Also did you really think you estimating a dudes weight is more accurate than the actual scale and officials of the combine?

lastly you’re two examples are from the late 80s and early 90s. Athletics have changed a lot in that time, not great examples. 

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

lol.  Whatever floats your boat.  The banana thing is more common than you would think.   Not my cup of coffee though.

Heard of the banana peel thing.  

Get this dude.  Some people eat raw fish.  I seent it myself.  Raw fish.  Like uncooked fish like a raccoon or a grizzly bear.  Darndest thing I ever saw.

hate to admit this on a public forum but my wife and son do that.

unbelievable 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you are disputing his combine weight?  Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

I

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Never could have happened mainly because he lacked the self preservation instinct.

That’s a good point.  Does it even matter if he had a good ol or not because he was taking linebackers on when he scrambled anyway? Wouldn’t even step a yard to get out of bounds.  Lol. Super intelligent guy with a  warrior mentality in the field.  

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s a good point.  Does it even matter if he had a good ol or not because he was taking linebackers on when he scrambled anyway? Wouldn’t even step a yard to get out of bounds.  Lol. Super intelligent guy with a  warrior mentality in the field.  

When I was younger I used to think it was female anatomy when PM would drop and curl up in fetal position when a free rusher would be barreling down on him.

Now I realize he was the smart one and I was the dumb one.

Like Craigs Dad said.  Put the gun down son.  Live to fight another day.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He would could have been top 5 at worse. JMO. Brady, Manning, Montana, Elway of course, even Aaron or old school Unitas but Andrew had it all = accuracy, speed, strength, and 3 11-5 seasons in a row with an average roster, average coach, no running game.

Luck was .500 outside of his division. Made me want to throw up with his inabiity to hit open guys right in front of him accurately, held onto the ball to look for deep throws and got his * pounded for it. Won too many games with his legs and got pounded for it.

He probably would have been good enough to win SB, if he had the brains to get the ball out of his hands. But, he didn't so he had to QUIT!

As i recall he missed the last part of his final season with a calf injury.

And his final show was bouncing up and down on the sidelines showing his calf was good enough to play. He was mocking the game, fans, Irsay, etc.

And he quit, he lost heart, he took the $$$ and ran. 

He should have played smarter!

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not trying to give you a hard time here, but I can’t find anything to support your claims. 

I’m working from my phone and can’t link, but if you Google Hurts from Oklahoma the school listed Hurts his senior year as 6’2” and 218.   Looks like he’s gained roughly 5 pounds in the NFL.  

As for Smith, he might have weighed 195 as a freshman, but I don’t think that was his weight when he was drafted.  The only numbers I’ve seen for Smith are 216 and 221.    He might have weighed as little as 210 when he was drafted, but it’s hard to imagine any lighter, and I believe it was more.   Smith was a power back, his specialty was running between the tackles.  Speed wasn’t his game.   

Also….  I think if you look at the Colts roster, you’ll see the claim that almost every player gains roughly 10-20 pounds is false.   Some do, but not as many as you might think.   Besides, some players get to the NFL and actually lose weight, not gain. 

Most gain weight once in the NFL because they need to get stronger. All I can say is, look at a Pic of Hurts in college compared to now. He looked a twig in college. Emmitt at one time did bulk up to 220. He gained over 20 pounds by the time he retired. Players do that because of the pounding they take. There are a few that do lose weight but is mainly pass rushers/LB's because they rely on speed more than anything. Leonard for example has lost weight but it is rare, usually QB's, RB's always put on weight. My point to the whole subject is, Young will put on weight once he gets into pro training regiment so I am not worried about him being little.

Archived