Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 15: Colts @ Vikings, Sat, Dec. 17, 2022, 1:00PM ET

NFLfan

Just now, EastStreet said:

Pretty sure both Irsay and Ballard tried to support Frank, and get him what he wants. And Irsay signed off every time (for QBs). 

So IMO, the Rivers and Wentz were Frank pushes, and Irsay likely pushed for Ryan (after pushed Wentz out).

All have onus. But I don't fault Ballard at all for QBs. For all we know, Ballard wanted draft a QB the last several years. We just don't know...  

Falcons showing they had interest in moving on from Ryan opened the door for talks. Irsay pushing for Ryan isn’t known. 

Pretty sure both Irsay and Ballard tried to support Frank, and get him what he wants. And Irsay signed off every time (for QBs). 

So IMO, the Rivers and Wentz were Frank pushes, and Irsay likely pushed for Ryan (after pushed Wentz out).

All have onus. But I don't fault Ballard at all for QBs. For all we know, Ballard wanted draft a QB the last several years. We just don't know...  

All the rumors were that Ballard wanted Love.  Packers moved up and took him.  Then the next rumor was Fields. Frank and Carson made sure we got Wentz so Bears were able to move up for Fields.  I personally believe that Ballard was gonna trade with Seattle and take Love that year and I believe he also would’ve traded up for Fields if he had seen him fall pass the Niners.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I dont really buy that narrative, I think that if Ballard wanted to draft a QB, or if he didn't like a guy that Frank liked he would over rule him. He is the GM, its his job on the line, his roster.

Also think if he was just laying down and let Frank make the calls thats also on Ballard for not taking the reigns. And if Irsay is meddling as much as some say, and he is making decisions over Ballards head. IMO thats not a good look. In that case does Irsay trust Ballard. How much power does he actually have to build "his" team.

Your right we just dont know. My point is however the cookie crumbled, and continues to crumble. Ballard is very much a part of it. 

We were without a QB.

Ryan became available. 

I'm sure Jim was cheering as loud anyone. 

And most said it was smart move.....

I haven’t disagreed with Irsay being in favor. You said Irsay is who pushed for Ryan to get signed which is what I disagreed with. That would suggest the whole signing was because it is what Irsay wanted. It paints the owner in a certain light that I disagree with. 

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

Your right we just dont know. My point is however the cookie crumbled, and continues to crumble. Ballard is very much a part of it. 

One thing about this is Ballard has owned his mistakes.  Frank owned some of his but never did ANYTHING to make a change to things.  Jeff however many weeks in has already made changes and is owning his mistakes and makign changes to help change them. 

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

I dont really buy that narrative, I think that if Ballard wanted to draft a QB, or if he didn't like a guy that Frank liked he would over rule him. He is the GM, its his job on the line, his roster.

Also think if he was just laying down and let Frank make the calls thats also on Ballard for not taking the reigns. And if Irsay is meddling as much as some say, and he is making decisions over Ballards head. IMO thats not a good look. In that case does Irsay trust Ballard. How much power does he actually have to build "his" team.

Sorry, not every GM controls everything. Some HCs have more power. Some GMs have more power. Some owners call the shots, especially when it comes to QBs. 

Irsay knows who wanted what. And it's likely why Ballard is still here next year. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

It was a good move IMO. Didn't work out... 

Yup, agreed. 

Might have worked out better, if the OL played better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, strt182 said:

One thing about this is Ballard has owned his mistakes.  Frank owned some of his but never did ANYTHING to make a change to things.  Jeff however many weeks in has already made changes and is owning his mistakes and makign changes to help change them. 

While I agree he has in the past, Ballard hasn’t owned anything this season instead throwing blame at the media. 

2 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I haven’t disagreed with Irsay being in favor. You said Irsay is who pushed for Ryan to get signed which is what I disagreed with. That would suggest the whole signing was because it is what Irsay wanted. It paints the owner in a certain light that I disagree with. 

I'm sure all 3 discussed. But it was obvious Jim was a fan of the move. 

• Like 1