Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday's first game plan

BlueShoe

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

Imo a lot of whether Saturday is successful or not lies at the feet of our new young OC.  I am curious to see if Jeff will have any impact on improving our oline.

Parks Frazier is calling the plays. Offensive Playcaller is not the same thing as offensive coordinator. 

From my understanding, we are taking a collective approach and do not currently have an offensive coordinator. 

I propose we all just give this a few weeks. The Colts could surprise some folks with what they are doing. IF, my gut instinct is correct... Our offense is going to surprise some folks this week. They could go a lot of different ways, but I expect to see a very aggressive ground game on Sunday. With packages that we do not often use. I am excited, because all signs point to this brand of football... And it is my favorite brand of football. 

image.png.597de5b97396311e501952e1bc0af933.png

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I kind of get that feeling too... But this could also be a smokescreen...

THE ONE THING, the Colts have going for them... The Raiders have no idea what the Colts are going to do... Meaning they have no idea what to game plan for. Even hinting that Ryan could play, adds a new wrinkle to the way the Raiders prepare. 

14 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Parks Frazier is calling the plays. Offensive Playcaller is not the same thing as offensive coordinator. 

From my understanding, we are taking a collective approach and do not currently have an offensive coordinator. 

I propose we all just give this a few weeks. The Colts could surprise some folks with what they are doing. IF, my gut instinct is correct... Our offense is going to surprise some folks this week. They could go a lot of different ways, but I expect to see a very aggressive ground game on Sunday. With packages that we do not often use. I am excited, because all signs point to this brand of football... And it is my favorite brand of football. 

image.png.597de5b97396311e501952e1bc0af933.png

ah okay. I thought he had the position/title of OC.

13 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I kind of get that feeling too... But this could also be a smokescreen...

THE ONE THING, the Colts have going for them... The Raiders have no idea what the Colts are going to do... Meaning they have no idea what to game plan for. Even hinting that Ryan could play, adds a new wrinkle to the way the Raiders prepare. 

I would be shocked if they trot Ryan or Foles out there. That would indeed be a surprise.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:11 PM, DougDew said:

You mean run, run, pass?  As a good game plan?

If you don't run a lot on first down, how exactly do you plan to run the ball a lot?

Shorten the games. Run the football. Don't turn the ball over. Control the clock. Give yourself a chance to win a close game.

That's exactly the GP Reich had for 3 years....and everybody thought was a losing plan.  (you have that plan when you know your personnel is sub par)

To be exact:

Run

Run

Pass long

Punt

On 11/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, BlueShoe said:

Preface; if you don't really want to talk football... And instead want to wine about the team. Pretty much every other thread is a great place for that. I want to focus on talking about football. To me, the drama is over. That drama has its place, in all the other threads. But for those who want to talk about this team playing football, this thread might be for you. 

I believe we should prepare for some smashmouth football. It would make a lot of sense to focus on running the football, and it is in Jeff Saturday's DNA to do just that. 

Do not be surprised if we incorporate some 22 personnel this week (2 backs and 2 tight ends), and even more over the next few weeks. Get ready for some crackback blocks, and old fashion nasty running. Pep Hamilton once did this with a 3 tight end set and it was a thing of beauty. Well it was beautiful, if you are like me, and you like that brand of football. 

This defense is playing really good. Shorten the games. Run the football. Don't turn the ball over. Control the clock. Give yourself a chance to win a close game. Build from there. 

Some people call it winning ugly. I call it football. Let's see what they come out with. 

With Woods out a 6th o-lineman makes sense for oh say 15 snaps..

For all the slagging of the Colts for firing Reich and replacing him with Saturday, I find myself BIG TIME pulling for Saturday and the Colts to GREATLY exceed expectations.  It would be awesome if they somehow go on a tear!

I am not expecting such, though, sadly, but I shall remain hopeful. :)

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

For all the slagging of the Colts for firing Reich and replacing him with Saturday, I find myself BIG TIME pulling for Saturday and the Colts to GREATLY exceed expectations.  It would be awesome if they somehow go on a tear!

I am not expecting such, though, sadly.

I think even the optimistic folks are cautiously optimistic... For good reason. 

I just want to see where this goes. I think there could be a chance for the Colts to have some success... How long? Not sure... But I appreciate the creativity. 

Let's be honest, before this move... The Colts were not going anywhere this season. Sometimes you just have to shake it up and see what happens. It could turn out to be a total failure... Or it could be brilliant. I am on the edge of my seat to see what happens. I find it all very interesting. 

On 11/8/2022 at 10:10 PM, MB-ColtsFan said:

I have to agree on the play regarding Nelson firing off into the ether, complete missing the slant.

To me it all comes down to basic blocking technique which is causing scheme failure.  Call it laziness, call it "I got my paycheck", call it whatever you want.  If Saturday can kick some tail during the week then they will play better Sunday.  I don't think Frank had the fire in him to do it.  Hopefully Saturday has a very loud voice and those guts get the message.  I still believe the talent is there to be much better.

Was the combination of Franks bland plays and Straussers bland blocking schemes just making it too easy for teams to exploit us?
 And i am of the op that Mo-Allie ABSOLUTELY just does not have it as the "Doyle" swiss army knife blocker that we need. He lacks the smarts and tenacity to do it. It is a huge problm. 

JMV is going off on that Joe Thomas video from good morning football. He is laughing at him and the crap they put on  tv.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Was the combination of Franks bland plays and Straussers bland blocking schemes just making it too easy for teams to exploit us?
 And i am of the op that Mo-Allie ABSOLUTELY just does not have it as the "Doyle" swiss army knife blocker that we need. He lacks the smarts and tenacity to do it. It is a huge problm. 

What’s concerning is Saturday was helping strausser all along with the oline. So we will see if things even change or maybe it was some of the schemes.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I seriously doubt we would ever use MAC the same way we did Jack Doyle... That would be utterly useless. 

I think Granson, a linebacker... or even another running back (maybe Jake Funk), could be used as a run blocker... It is going to take some creativity... Because we do not a Jack Doyle on this roster. 

Archived