Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football is a Business. Indy media remember that !!!

AustexColt

I just listened to 1070 the Fan morning show. I listen to it religiously and they seem to forget that the Colts is a respected team in the NFL. Let's keep it that way and not kill what we had to work so hard to reach that point. We old timers remember the days between Unitas and Manning, and we don't want to return to that.

1- Football is a business and as in any business when you have a serious problem you need to find the root cause. If you cannot find out, internally then you go out and seek outside help. Frank was clueless or he refused to address the real issue. Irsay (and possibly including Ballard) need to move Frank out and get help.

2- Ownership and Fans believe it is the OL, so management gets Jeff Saturday (consultant/adviser). Someone who has the credential and ownership trust. Jeff is part of Reich's old regime and can be objective in his determination and recommendation. 

3- What Jim Irsay did was save his franchise from his fan base becoming apathetic. Avoiding his defense and Special Team being contaminated with poor morale and stop playing. Finally, injuring more of his offensive players. 

What he did yesterday, a courageous or a stupid move on part of Irsay?  From where I sit, I think it was gutsy and showed the fan base that he will do everything in his power to get to the bottom of the problem, even if it made him awkward. One thing you can say about Jim Irsay, he wears his feelings on his sleeves. He is committed to the Colt brand to a fault. Most owners only think about their franchise as a business but to Jim it is his legacy and a business. I was in Houston to watch our first opening game and where I sat (middle 50yd section) there were more Colt fans than Texans. When I talked to the Texan fans at the hotel/stadium they were dejected and considering selling their season tickets. Is that what we want to become? I will take constructive criticism but not ridicule. 

Jim Irsay is trying to avoid that and the media can either help or bring us back to the Art Schlicter and Jeff George days. 

It only matters what happens on the field.  What is said on the radio on Tuesday morning 11/8/22 will mean nothing 4 months from now, a week from now.  Ballard and Jeff just need to get back to work, and I think they can work together.  Two similar guys.

I like Kevin Bowen, but listening to Kevin is no different than reading anything we post on this forum.  If it were up to Kevin, Jordan Love would currently be throwing to Allen Robinson.  

I like Kevin and Jake and that is why I listen to them. There is a difference between your comments on this forum and his words over the radio. The range of listeners. I am pretty confident he will not even have a clue what I just wrote. Words over the wavelenth matters. 

5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I like Kevin and Jake and that is why I listen to them. There is a difference between your comments on this forum and his words over the radio. The range of listeners. I am pretty confident he will not even have a clue what I just wrote. Words over the wavelenth matters. 

Well, radio is not what it used to be.  I'm not sure it has that type of impact in 2022.  Most today just pull up the podcast on YouTube or wherever and fast forward to the Colts content.  If there's nothing interesting, you move on in 10 or 15 minutes.

I think it has increasingly grown popular to talk crap about the Colts owner. I don’t agree with every single word out of his mouth but I do agree with this move and I think that this team is being audited by Jeff Saturday. This isn’t about a coaching move it’s about evaluating the team and Ballard. 

Ballard hasn’t looked this uncomfortable since Andrew retired. I think he’s going to either resign or get fired at the end of the year. Ballard complained about everyone being upset by no WR moves, and then brings up the oline as if there was any correlation between the two and the lack of effort given by the oline he admitted to putting focus into (what focus this past off season??????). It wasn’t a thought out statement from a guy who is supposed to be smart. 

As time goes on the more I like Saturday being brought in to look at things. And I don’t look at Irsay negatively for doing it. He has waited 2 years too long with much of this so why the hell would I be mad he’s making a move mid season to get a jump on next year when it’s freakin clear to all of us here this team was falling apart way before jrsay started “meddling” which he has zero history of doing. 

fans have no memory. Just emotions and opinions. 

my humble opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

I think it has increasingly grown popular to talk crap about the Colts owner. I don’t agree with every single word out of his mouth but I do agree with this move and I think that this team is being audited by Jeff Saturday. This isn’t about a coaching move it’s about evaluating the team and Ballard. 

Ballard hasn’t looked this uncomfortable since Andrew retired. I think he’s going to either resign or get fired at the end of the year. Ballard complained about everyone being upset by no WR moves, and then brings up the oline as if there was any correlation between the two and the lack of effort given by the oline he admitted to putting focus into (what focus this past off season??????). It wasn’t a thought out statement from a guy who is supposed to be smart. 

As time goes on the more I like Saturday being brought in to look at things. And I don’t look at Irsay negatively for doing it. He has waited 2 years too long with much of this so why the hell would I be mad he’s making a move mid season to get a jump on next year when it’s freakin clear to all of us here this team was falling apart way before jrsay started “meddling” which he has zero history of doing. 

fans have no memory. Just emotions and opinions. 

my humble opinion. 

You nailed that for sure. 

Yeah, Jim Irsay can be impulsive but he definitely cares and is smart enough to surround himself with football people who will eventually set him straight. Hopefully this move works out for the sake of the Colts. Just the fact he did a first time move of firing the HC who had lost the pulse of the team, in mid season, should tell us he cares. I don't agree with his decisions but hey, will see how it goes.

33 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

I just listened to 1070 the Fan morning show. I listen to it religiously and they seem to forget that the Colts is a respected team in the NFL. Let's keep it that way and not kill what we had to work so hard to reach that point. We old timers remember the days between Unitas and Manning, and we don't want to return to that.

1- Football is a business and as in any business when you have a serious problem you need to find the root cause. If you cannot find out, internally then you go out and seek outside help. Frank was clueless or he refused to address the real issue. Irsay (and possibly including Ballard) need to move Frank out and get help.

2- Ownership and Fans believe it is the OL, so management gets Jeff Saturday (consultant/adviser). Someone who has the credential and ownership trust. Jeff is part of Reich's old regime and can be objective in his determination and recommendation. 

3- What Jim Irsay did was save his franchise from his fan base becoming apathetic. Avoiding his defense and Special Team being contaminated with poor morale and stop playing. Finally, injuring more of his offensive players. 

What he did yesterday, a courageous or a stupid move on part of Irsay?  From where I sit, I think it was gutsy and showed the fan base that he will do everything in his power to get to the bottom of the problem, even if it made him awkward. One thing you can say about Jim Irsay, he wears his feelings on his sleeves. He is committed to the Colt brand to a fault. Most owners only think about their franchise as a business but to Jim it is his legacy and a business. I was in Houston to watch our first opening game and where I sat (middle 50yd section) there were more Colt fans than Texans. When I talked to the Texan fans at the hotel/stadium they were dejected and considering selling their season tickets. Is that what we want to become? I will take constructive criticism but not ridicule. 

Jim Irsay is trying to avoid that and the media can either help or bring us back to the Art Schlicter and Jeff George days. 

I definitely agree with this. 

I think mostly everyone is blowing the signing of an interim head coach to a 3-5-1 team that has some of the worst offensive stats in the history of the franchise a bit out of proportion.

It's a guy Irsay trusts to give him an honest evaluation of the situation. Also a fan favorite which further highlights business decisions. Irsay isn't dumb, the man may ramble and speak incoherently at times but he's not an * when it comes to football. I don't want him as the GM but the mere fact he's held on to Reich this long speaks volumes to his level of patience and trust he puts into his staff. I don't blamed can't criticize him one bit for making a move as unconventional as this if that's what he feels is best. He's waited long enough. 

What's the worst that can happen? We suck even more? LOL. 

People love to complain that change needs to happen and then are the first to complain on the decisions that were made. If you are going to come to me with a problem, do you best to come to me with a solution. 

Also, not that I expect Jeff to be next seasons HC but I'd like to point Reggie had very very limited professional coaching experience and this forum has been RAVING about what he's doing with his group this season. A bit hypocritical to not even give Jeff a chance or at least see how he handles situations. 

Change is finally coming, whether it's good or bad, we shall see! 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Both FB and Media are businesses... 

And both can be jokes at times.

More and more the last 10 years lol.. 

With the advent of FB and twitter, and TikTok, came instant gratification. Thus, a society that feeds on instant gratification with no patience for long term results in real life, with click baits and sound bites.

However, about 5 years is reasonable enough to demand a division contender consistently from any HC-GM regime, and that is definitely not unreasonable, IMO.

14 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Also, not that I expect Jeff to be next seasons HC but I'd like to point Reggie had very very limited professional coaching experience and this forum has been RAVING about what he's doing with his group this season. A bit hypocritical to not even give Jeff a chance or at least see how he handles situations. 

Change is finally coming, whether it's good or bad, we shall see! 

Not at all. If Reggie was made an HC without working as an NFL assistant, most of us would have raised eyebrows. So many countless posters have said "just because you are a good player, doesn't mean you will be a good HC or GM". Having said that, we have seen John Elway become GM, John Lynch become GM, Mike Mayock (who never had an NFL career, just broadcasting career) become GM, all with hit and miss results after some of them just being in the broadcasting booth. 

However, very few in broadcasting (or any that I can think of), have jumped straight to HC without prior NFL experience. If Jeff Saturday would have become an OL coach like Reggie Wayne being WR coach or Cato June being LB coach, very few would have complained. HC is considerably different because you have to work with so many position group coaches, install game plans from week to week and gain the respect of so many position coaches, which is a tough ask for Jeff Saturday.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With the advent of FB and twitter, and TikTok, came instant gratification. Thus, a society that feeds on instant gratification with no patience for long term results in real life, with click baits and sound bites.

However, about 5 years is reasonable enough to demand a division contender consistently from any HC-GM regime, and that is definitely not unreasonable, IMO.

SM totally sucks. 

Media does too.

But football is about less football these days... 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Not at all. If Reggie was made an HC without working as an NFL assistant, most of us would have raised eyebrows. So many countless posters have said "just because you are a good player, doesn't mean you will be a good HC or GM". Having said that, we have seen John Elway become GM, John Lynch become GM, Mike Mayock (who never had an NFL career, just broadcasting career) become GM, all with hit and miss results after some of them just being in the broadcasting booth. 

However, very few in broadcasting (or any that I can think of), have jumped straight to HC without prior NFL experience. If Jeff Saturday would have become an OL coach like Reggie Wayne being WR coach or Cato June being LB coach, very few would have complained. HC is considerably different because you have to work with so many position group coaches, install game plans from week to week and gain the respect of so many position coaches, which is a tough ask for Jeff Saturday.

I agree that good player doesn’t auto equal good coach. I am of the opinion that the position he played and his involvement in the NFL during his career offer extremely transferable skill sets in what he will be doing as an interim HC. Any leadership position, regardless of industry have very similar soft skills. In recent years we’ve seen several ex players take up coaching roles and succeed. Hell in our own division is one of the best. If Jeff assembles a good staff around himself and empowers them he will be fine. He doesn’t have to call plays, he doesn’t have to install offenses, he manages and inspires people which is the entire purpose of a leader. They hold staff accountable, they support their guys and use their authority to create change. 

People constantly complained that Frank was the play caller and the HC. When Brady was fired no one knew who does what, who’s responsible for what. 

Isn’t it kind of refreshing we at least have an idea that our interim HC now will be strictly a HC and not a play caller, not an OC? I love the segregation of duties in this instance. It’s old school and allows resources to focus. There has been this trend lately that a HC that calls plays is somehow perceived to be better. I don’t follow this thinking. 

Lastly, this is interim. People should just relax and see what happens. If we are going to be doing a coaching search end of season then what does it even matter. 90% of our staff going to be gone more than likely regardless of who gets the job permanently. 

3 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Lastly, this is interim. People should just relax and see what happens. If we are going to be doing a coaching search end of season then what does it even matter. 90% of our staff going to be gone more than likely regardless of who gets the job permanently. 

True. The true extensive search for an HC will come at the end of the season, if you believe Jim Irsay that Ballard will be retained. We have no choice but to go with the flow anyways, whether we agree or disagree. :) 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

What if Irsay had tapped Peyton Manning for HC? 

Many on this forum have begged for that over the years, yet he has ZERO coaching experience either. 

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. The true extensive search for an HC will come at the end of the season, if you believe Jim Irsay that Ballard will be retained. We have no choice but to go with the flow anyways, whether we agree or disagree. :) 

I think if the colts D continues to play well, and the WRs still work out, I think Ballard stays. if it completely crumbles, then yeah, maybe. But i dont think Irsay would have kept Ballard and just fired Reich just to ride it out 8 games. Theres little any interim GM could do to change anything to improve the team between now and Dec. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Many on this forum have begged for that over the years, yet he has ZERO coaching experience either. 

WTHR said there was a chance Peyton would be the next head coach. Vegas predicts it at +450. I think people would be ok with that because Peyton was like a coach when he played.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hey Saturday! What day is it?

that joke got old 16 hours ago lol

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

WTHR said there was a chance Peyton would be the next head coach. Vegas predicts it at +450. I think people would be ok with that because Peyton was like a coach when he played.

and its been said the 2nd most important playcaller on the field is the Center. 

I liked the OP's post. I thought that the performance since last season was pretty awful and would lead to anybody getting canned for not showing any improvement. The trend was going downward even after a QB and staff change. 

Remember we were supposed to go to the playoffs this year.

Jim is a smart guy.   He knows that the season is gone and the worse we finish the better draft pick we will have.   So he could hire Jeff to evaluate the team knowing that it is his first Head Coaching job and the odds of him turning the season around is very little. 

43 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not for HC. Yes to OC because he was literally an OC on the field. His job was to score points. I am not sure if he was as close to the guys on the defensive side of the team or special teams, because he didn't need to be and he knew what his job was and did it at an elite level. Plus, Peyton could do no wrong, was the pervasive sentiment amongst some teammates too at that time, I felt. 

I feel Peyton will be far more OCD than Jeff Saturday, who probably would have more skills getting folks together than Peyton, IMO, with Peyton having fewer tolerance for mistakes. Jeff Saturday has sat as players union rep, got players together more, has interacted with owners more and IMO, is more suited to HC as a personality, if you compare him purely with Peyton. 

Peyton has bigger fish to fry, GM or ownership is the least Peyton would be interested in, IMO. Not HC or OC.

Just my two cents. :2c:

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

You nailed that for sure. 

Yeah, Jim Irsay can be impulsive but he definitely cares and is smart enough to surround himself with football people who will eventually set him straight. Hopefully this move works out for the sake of the Colts. Just the fact he did a first time move of firing the HC who had lost the pulse of the team, in mid season, should tell us he cares. I don't agree with his decisions but hey, will see how it goes.

I still don’t think it’s fair to call Irsay impulsive, especially not in his decision making. He’s not great at a press conference, but that doesn’t mean his decision making is without forethought.

Take his comments about Dan Snyder. I think he felt compelled to take a public stand, but I think his decision to speak out was carefully considered and weighed out. I think he had his comments vetted by his legal and PR staff, who were standing with him as he made his comments. And I think other NFL owners were glad he spoke out. And we’ve seen what’s happened since then, not that Irsay’s comments were the catalyst toward Snyder considering a sale, but they were likely a contributing factor. That decision to speak out was labeled as ‘Irsay being Irsay,’ but it was most likely a calculated decision, not an impulse.

As it relates to team management, Irsay’s decisions are almost always overly generous and patient, not the other way around. There are several examples, they kind of speak for themselves over the years. He’s become more outspoken in recent months, and now it’s clear that it’s because he didn’t think things were going well. I think his involvement has been necessary, not an impulse. The team fell apart last season, and the standard was not being met. This is after we started 0-3, couldn’t win one of the last two games of the season to make the playoffs, after seven years of not winning the division, and four years into the tenure of the HC. Al Davis fired Lane Kiffin after 20 games.

The decision to fire Reich is sound, and well thought out, IMO. The team was listless. Reich’s offense has fallen apart, and that’s not just about QBing. And from a fan standpoint, personally, my interest in this team was at a low point, because I felt like the two guys responsible would not make changes. I perked up a bit when Ryan was benched, but watching Reich’s dull play calling against the Pats, I was very frustrated. And in the back of my mind, I felt he should be gone immediately, but did not expect it happen right now. So seeing Irsay step up in an effort to show everyone that it’s time to get his fixed is refreshing. I’m back in for the rest of the season.

Tagging Saturday as HC is unorthodox, even bizarre. I don’t agree with it, I think it’s an unnecessary circus, and I doubt that it yields positive results. Saturday could have been added to the staff for the next two months as an advisory executive, if Irsay wanted loyal eyes and ears in the building. But from a results standpoint, I don’t think it matters. No one is going to fix the OL in November/December. We still don’t have a QB. And our best players probably don’t fit within the timeline for developing a new QB, so big changes need to be made over the next 16 months. And I don’t know if Ballard is the right guy to lead that process, but that’s another discussion. But this move was made by Irsay because he thought it was necessary to get a fresh perspective on the operation, not because he expects any interim HC to turn this season around. 

Now if Irsay starts turning into Jerry Jones over the next three months, let’s talk. Even then, Jones isn’t necessarily impulsive, he’s just overly involved in the day to day. I don’t see Irsay taking that approach. I think he wants the same structure he’s had since 1997, but he wants to know that his guys will get results. When he gave up all that control to Bill Polian, it was because Polian’s teams were successful. And when his team is operating on a stable basis — something that has not been the case for a while — Irsay has been fine with sitting back and letting his guys run the show. But right now, he needs to get to the bottom of things, and make whatever changes are necessary. I’m not overly concerned with the optics at the moment.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I still don’t think it’s fair to call Irsay impulsive, especially not in his decision making. He’s not great at a press conference, but that doesn’t mean his decision making is without forethought.

Take his comments about Dan Snyder. I think he felt compelled to take a public stand, but I think his decision to speak out was carefully considered and weighed out. I think he had his comments vetted by his legal and PR staff, who were standing with him as he made his comments. And I think other NFL owners were glad he spoke out. And we’ve seen what’s happened since then, not that Irsay’s comments were the catalyst toward Snyder considering a sale, but they were likely a contributing factor. That decision to speak out was labeled as ‘Irsay being Irsay,’ but it was most likely a calculated decision, not an impulse.

As it relates to team management, Irsay’s decisions are almost always overly generous and patient, not the other way around. There are several examples, they kind of speak for themselves over the years. He’s become more outspoken in recent months, and now it’s clear that it’s because he didn’t think things were going well. I think his involvement has been necessary, not an impulse. The team fell apart last season, and the standard was not being met. This is after we started 0-3, couldn’t win one of the last two games of the season to make the playoffs, after seven years of not winning the division, and four years into the tenure of the HC. Al Davis fired Lane Kiffin after 20 games.

The decision to fire Reich is sound, and well thought out, IMO. The team was listless. Reich’s offense has fallen apart, and that’s not just about QBing. And from a fan standpoint, personally, my interest in this team was at a low point, because I felt like the two guys responsible would not make changes. I perked up a bit when Ryan was benched, but watching Reich’s dull play calling against the Pats, I was very frustrated. And in the back of my mind, I felt he should be gone immediately, but did not expect it happen right now. So seeing Irsay step up in an effort to show everyone that it’s time to get his fixed is refreshing. I’m back in for the rest of the season.

Tagging Saturday as HC is unorthodox, even bizarre. I don’t agree with it, I think it’s an unnecessary circus, and I doubt that it yields positive results. Saturday could have been added to the staff for the next two months as an advisory executive, if Irsay wanted loyal eyes and ears in the building. But from a results standpoint, I don’t think it matters. No one is going to fix the OL in November/December. We still don’t have a QB. And our best players probably don’t fit within the timeline for developing a new QB, so big changes need to be made over the next 16 months. And I don’t know if Ballard is the right guy to lead that process, but that’s another discussion. But this move was made by Irsay because he thought it was necessary to get a fresh perspective on the operation, not because he expects any interim HC to turn this season around. 

Now if Irsay starts turning into Jerry Jones over the next three months, let’s talk. Even then, Jones isn’t necessarily impulsive, he’s just overly involved in the day to day. I don’t see Irsay taking that approach. I think he wants the same structure he’s had since 1997, but he wants to know that his guys will get results. When he gave up all that control to Bill Polian, it was because Polian’s teams were successful. And when his team is operating on a stable basis — something that has not been the case for a while — Irsay has been fine with sitting back and letting his guys run the show. But right now, he needs to get to the bottom of things, and make whatever changes are necessary. I’m not overly concerned with the optics at the moment.

Great post, just one observation: There is no way in Hell that Ballard would appoint an inexperienced coach like Saturday - I can’t think of anything further away from what Ballard believes in. So this was purely Irsay’s idea. Maybe Irsay talked Ballard instead it somehow, I don’t know. But it is a remarkable change in power when an owner dictates the HC to the GM. It makes me wonder if Saturday now hold the same power as Ballard in Irsay’s view to be honest. Ballard looks weakened by this and I’m not sure how “durable” this shift in power balance is moving forward. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Great post, just one observation: There is no way in Hell that Ballard would appoint an inexperienced coach like Saturday - I can’t think of anything further away from what Ballard believes in. So this was purely Irsay’s idea. Maybe Irsay talked Ballard instead it somehow, I don’t know. But it is a remarkable change in power when an owner dictates the HC to the GM. It makes me wonder if Saturday now hold the same power as Ballard in Irsay’s view to be honest. Ballard looks weakened by this and I’m not sure how “durable” this shift in power balance is moving forward. 

Absolutely, Ballard did not choose Saturday. This is Irsay's choice, top to bottom. And it's absolutely weird. It's also not entirely about who coaches the team right now. So the weirdness doesn't matter all that much. 

As for Ballard, don't know. We'll see what happens in January. 

I go back to 2012 when the Rams hired Jeff Fisher. He then was involved in the search for GM, and they hired Les Snead. Five years later, Fisher and Snead aren't working, ownership chooses to keep Snead and get rid of Fisher. Then they hire McVay. From then on, Snead was a different guy. 

I don't think Ballard will radically change his approach and go full FTP like Snead. I don't know if Ballard will change at all. But the power dynamic is going to be interesting moving forward. 

The problem I have with local media is they forget that their popularity depends on the popularity of the teams themselves. People tune in because they are interested in those teams and that chatter around them. Its in your best interest to promote them.

An old school guy like Mike Chappel understands that and keeps his takes fairly neutral at all times. He'll offer some mild criticism but he never mocks the players or the owner or the organization. He knows its not necessary. Thats why hes been around as long as he has. 

So while its ok to be critical, sometimes when you start mocking them, youre really just doing a disservice to the entire culture around local sports in that town.

Archived