Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predicting the Record

SubZero

IMO i think we will go 6-10. Honestly i think that facing Miami is an automatic win. I see them beating the Browns and Vikings. Also i see them sweeping the jags and beating the titans once.

Close games, vsHou, @KC, @Ten, and vsBuf

Since Luck is being touted as the next Peyton Manning, I predict we go 3-13, even though Manning was surrounded with better talent his rookie year.

People really need to stop being ignorant. The 1998 team had a sub par Harrison. He wasn't in 2004 form. Marshall Faulk, and Ellis is the only defensive player I can think of.

This team has way more talent.

EDIT: To add to the 1998 team, if we had not had Marshall you can easily argue we would have went 0-16.

People really need to stop being ignorant. The 1998 team had a sub par Harrison. He wasn't in 2004 form. Marshall Faulk, and Ellis is the only defensive player I can think of.

This team has way more talent.

EDIT: To add to the 1998 team, if we had not had Marshall you can easily argue we would have went 0-16.

My brother has had similar topics on another forum.

Week 1 1998 Starting lineup.

98game1starters.jpg

Some view some of the "names" on offense as being in their prime when only Faulk and Dilger were in their prime. Harrison,Glenn & Meadows weren't close to their prime at that point.

The defense is a bunch of retreds from Carolina/Buffalo that Polian came into to go with the numerous no-names.

Throw in Pat & Adam, and 2012 clearly has a better team than 1998.

My brother has had similar topics on another forum.

Week 1 1998 Starting lineup.

98game1starters.jpg

Some view some of the "names" on offense as being in their prime when only Faulk and Dilger were in their prime. Harrison,Glenn & Meadows weren't close to their prime at that point.

The defense is a bunch of retreds from Carolina/Buffalo that Polian came into to go with the numerous no-names.

Throw in Pat & Adam, and 2012 clearly has a better team than 1998.

Ken Dilger wasn't even that productive either. Pollard contributed more, and he wasn't even close to his prime. Take away Marshall and you remove Peyton's number one receiver and rusher.

The 1998 team was crap.

Many people like to say they would take a '98 Marvin over the '12 Reggie. No, Reggie is in his prime and the most productive. The only thing '98 Marvin offers is years to come. That doesn't mean he is better.

Ken Dilger wasn't even that productive either. Pollard contributed more, and he wasn't even close to his prime. Take away Marshall and you remove Peyton's number one receiver and rusher.

The 1998 team was crap.

Many people like to say they would take a '98 Marvin over the '12 Reggie. No, Reggie is in his prime and the most productive. The only thing '98 Marvin offers is years to come. That doesn't mean he is better.

Agreed, it will be interesting to compare starter for starter once week one rolls around. front 7 vs front 7 and OL to OL, Weapons to weapons.

Sorry guys, but in 1998 Marvin only played 12 games. He missed the last 4 games with a broken arm. He was on his way to an 85-90 catch season with over 1,000 yards receiving and probably 10 TD and it was his first with Peyton. The following season he was over 100 receptions with more almost 1700 yards receiving. To say that he was not the Marvin of 2004 is right, but Manning was not the Manning of 2004 either and Marvin didn't have Reggie on the left in 1998 either.

Sorry guys, but in 1998 Marvin only played 12 games. He missed the last 4 games with a broken arm. He was on his way to an 85-90 catch season with over 1,000 yards receiving and probably 10 TD and it was his first with Peyton. The following season he was over 100 receptions with more almost 1700 yards receiving. To say that he was not the Marvin of 2004 is right, but Manning was not the Manning of 2004 either and Marvin didn't have Reggie on the left in 1998 either.

I cant even remember who was opposite of Harrison, was it Dawkins?

I cant even remember who was opposite of Harrison, was it Dawkins?

According to Anti-Jims Depth Chart it was Pathon. He started 15 games.

His averages have him coming out with 1035 yards and 9 TDs. He did good, but I think a '12 Reggie can put up better numbers and more production. Now a '13 Reggie I don't think will compete with a '99 Marv.

According to Anti-Jims Depth Chart it was Pathon. He started 15 games.

His averages have him coming out with 1035 yards and 9 TDs. He did good, but I think a '12 Reggie can put up better numbers and more production. Now a '13 Reggie I don't think will compete with a '99 Marv.

98 Marvin would have the edge in the physical part of it

12 Wayne would have the edge in the mental aspects and route running.

98 Marvin -vs- 12 Reggie is a wash as far as talent. It is still a rookie throwing to them, Peyton in 98 and Luck in 2012. The O-line in 1998 was stronger than today's and Pollard and Dilger have it all over Eldridge and whoever. Marshall more than makes up for our entire backfield. The defense today is no better than then and maybe worse, particularly during the transition year. We had a better chance for a positive season in 1998 than I see us having in 2012. I do not believe we will be better than 3-13 to take us back to the purpose of the thread.

98 Marvin -vs- 12 Reggie is a wash as far as talent. It is still a rookie throwing to them, Peyton in 98 and Luck in 2012. The O-line in 1998 was stronger than today's and Pollard and Dilger have it all over Eldridge and whoever. Marshall more than makes up for our entire backfield. The defense today is no better than then and maybe worse, particularly during the transition year. We had a better chance for a positive season in 1998 than I see us having in 2012. I do not believe we will be better than 3-13 to take us back to the purpose of the thread.

I'll stick with my physical vs. mental break down on Marvin vs. Wayne.

OL, I'm not sure I can agree with that right now. It will depend on the OL we start, but 98Glenn/Meadows aren't head and shoulders above 12Costanzo and Ijalana. McKinney was the only other lineman in 98 that hadn't seen his best days.

TE is still open for discussion based on the draft. Fleener would be the best of either team.

I'll stop, because too many what ifs at this point. I'll wait for week 1.

The physical part was never Marv's or Reggie's game. Their success was the mental and preparation. So I think Reg gets the upper hand.

The physical part was never Marv's or Reggie's game. Their success was the mental and preparation. So I think Reg gets the upper hand.

Physical might not be the best word... Not physical as in Hines Ward physical, but physical vs. mental. Speed/athletic ability. That type of physical abilities,

Physical might not be the best word... Not physical as in Hines Ward physical, but physical vs. mental. Speed/athletic ability. That type of physical abilities,

I figured that is what you meant. I don't know why I though otherwise. Marv does have that hand, but Reggie has been saying he feels 24 for every offseason. haha

I at least don't think we'll be worse than last year. People don't realize most of the people we lost in Free Agency or cut/released barely even played last season and the rest weren't even very good. I feel like we nearly picked up as much talent in Free Agency than we lost, though I guess some of those players have yet to prove themselves.

I have us going 3-13 at the worst, 5-11 as my likely choice, and 6-10 as best.

5-11 seems about right. I see us splitting against the AFC South; putting up a donut against the AFC East; splitting the other two Conference games with the win being against Cleveland; and going 1-3 against the NFC North with the win coming against the Vikes. Not too bad for year 1. More high draft picks and cap space to continue the "monster building" effort in year 2 . I believe that most will be encouraged by Luck's progress by the end of the year.

I know this is subjective, but for my own sanity, I am trying to figure out why people feel we have a stronger team to start in 2012 (with those currently on the roster) than Peyton had in 1998. The following is my evaluation and I watched every game we played that year.

Left outside:

1998 Jerome Pathon 2012 Reggie Wayne – clear advantage

Left tackle:

1998 Tarik Glenn – clear advantage 2012 Anthony Costanzo

Left guard:

1998 Steve McKinney – advantage 2012 Joe Reitz

Center:

1998 Jay Leeuwenburg – advantage 2012 Samson Satele

Right guard:

Tony Mandarich - wash 2012 Mike McGlynn – wash

Right tackle:

Adam Meadows – advantage 2012 Winston Justice (?)

Tight End:

Ken Dilger – advantage 2012 Brody Eldridge

Running back:

Marshall Faulk – clear advantage 2012 Donald Brown

Fullback:

Zack Crockett – advantage 2012 Chris Gronkowski

Guys you are given this team way to much credit...This is a team that we don't even know...He fooled around and got rid of everybody...The way this team is shaping up,,I don't think I know my own name right now.. hold on guys,,this is going to be another rough season...And you can expect rough seasons for the next 2 years.... if we win 3 games this up coming season, I would be shocked...The division is a bust thats 6 games right there...It is crazy to believe that we are going to beat anyone in our division... We are NOT going to BEAT the Bears, Greenbay, Miami, New England, Buffalo, Cleveland, the Jets or Detroit.. So that 14 loses.. Hold on guys it going to get rough...