Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Lamar Jackson Should Not Play Without a New Contract

philba101

The Ravens announced today that they have apparently missed another deadline and failed to sign Lamar Jackson to a long-term contract. Jackson just finished his 4-year rookie contract in which he made $9.47 million. A paltry $2.37 million per year for a QB who has already logged an All-Pro and MVP season. Jackson will be playing this season on a 5th-year option that guarantees he will make $23 million. Even though Jackson's contract is guaranteed this season, if he gets seriously hurt, what incentive will the Ravens have to pay him or franchise-tag him next year? The Ravens have already indicated that they are not willing to give Jackson the guaranteed money he is seeking. If they are not willing to do a contract now, just think how much less willing they would be if Jackson would get seriously injured. Most analysts have predicted that Jackson's market value could be similar to Kyler Murray who logged $230.5 million ($46 million/year) this summer after a mini-holdout with the Cardinals. It appears that by representing himself, Jackson has done himself a disservice. He set a training camp deadline for the Ravens and then showed up and participated. He set another arbitrary deadline for September 9 with no consequences. If Jackson is going to show up and play no matter what the Ravens do, then I am sure they will be happy to pay him the cheap $23 million for another year of service. Unlike Murray, I respect Jackson showing up to play without a new deal, I just hope it doesn't cost him the big payday he is eventually expecting. Jackson could have better protected his own self-interest by making it clear to the Ravens that he was not going to play until he received an acceptable new contract. This would have forced the Ravens to pay him or trade him to a team that would be willing to do so.

I like Lamar Jackson but he hasn't sold me yet as a upper echelon passer, nor do I think the ravens either. But his game is different than most other QBs. I think the ravens are in a similar position the cards were in.....what choice do they have but pay him?

But if they do part ways, im.sure the Steelers wouldn't mind :goodluck:

This might not be a popular opinion, but here is goes.  Lamar is from Florida.  Don't be surprised if he plays out the season in Baltimore, has a solid year, and then sees what transpires in Miami with Tua or in Tampa if Brady retires for real after this season.  This is just a gut feeling I have.  If the Ravens decide to franchise him with the non-exclusive tag, then Tampa would have the upper hand over Miami since the Phins were stripped of their 2023 1st rounder for tampering.  If the Ravens go exclusive tag, then Jackson can't negotiate with other teams - BUT - the Ravens take on a killer cap hit in 2023 based on the average of the top 5 2022 QB salaries.

6 hours ago, philba101 said:

The Ravens announced today that they have apparently missed another deadline and failed to sign Lamar Jackson to a long-term contract. Jackson just finished his 4-year rookie contract in which he made $9.47 million. A paltry $2.37 million per year for a QB who has already logged an All-Pro and MVP season. Jackson will be playing this season on a 5th-year option that guarantees he will make $23 million. Even though Jackson's contract is guaranteed this season, if he gets seriously hurt, what incentive will the Ravens have to pay him or franchise-tag him next year? The Ravens have already indicated that they are not willing to give Jackson the guaranteed money he is seeking. If they are not willing to do a contract now, just think how much less willing they would be if Jackson would get seriously injured. Most analysts have predicted that Jackson's market value could be similar to Kyler Murray who logged $230.5 million ($46 million/year) this summer after a mini-holdout with the Cardinals. It appears that by representing himself, Jackson has done himself a disservice. He set a training camp deadline for the Ravens and then showed up and participated. He set another arbitrary deadline for September 9 with no consequences. If Jackson is going to show up and play no matter what the Ravens do, then I am sure they will be happy to pay him the cheap $23 million for another year of service. Unlike Murray, I respect Jackson showing up to play without a new deal, I just hope it doesn't cost him the big payday he is eventually expecting. Jackson could have better protected his own self-interest by making it clear to the Ravens that he was not going to play until he received an acceptable new contract. This would have forced the Ravens to pay him or trade him to a team that would be willing to do so.

If he were to get seriously hurt, he would still have a great life on the paltry 23 million he gets this year. The money these guys get is beyond ridiculous.

It's the same in all pro sports (hockey isn't quite as bad I think, but that's because it's not as popular). In fact, baseball and basketball are far worse, and those guys don't get half the punishment most NFL players do. Heck baseball players take almost none and 95% of the time they're either standing in a field or sitting on a bench. What a way to earn a living!

Back to Jackson, I don't know. Careful what you ask for. As the Ravens plan to stick to their guns, forcing the issue might not have worked out well. It might turn out Zach Wilson has a more serious career-threatening injury and he ends up there. Lots more money maybe, but......he's on the Jets. Or what if it's the Commanderskins. :)For these guys it isn't all about the money; they all make tons. They want to win too.  

10 hours ago, philba101 said:

Honestly, I respect Lamar for going about it this way. He’s not whining about it in the media, he’s honoring the contract he signed with the very terms he agreed too when he signed it. Sure there’s the injury risk, but by representing himself, he doesn’t have the big agent fee(20-40 percent usually) so he’ll keep most of his money minus taxes. I mean if I’m the Ravens, all the above would make me want to find a deal with the guy. That said, from the Ravens viewpoint, few scrambling , run first QBs last long in the league, most have a sub 5 year career span.  So I also would make sure I had as painless of an out as possible, IE fronted load guarantees etc.  which I’m sure Is a hold up

7 hours ago, 4daUColts said:

ya but colts should resign jt.... we had edge james for a while, and that dude was a horse. jt is better at shedding tackles than edge imo

Too soon to re-sign Taylor. He's got two more years on his current contract. Let's wait and see how he holds up.  

Obviously, I would have preferred a long term contract, but it is what it is. Lamar certainly has earned a top,  long term contract, but to give out a fully guaranteed contract based on the idiocy of the Browns , may have been to hard to swallow for Bisciotti.  
The last time we went through this in Baltimore was with Joe Flacco. He wouldn’t sign and went out and won a Super Bowl. The problem was after we paid him the next year, he kind of semi-retired and was never as good as his SB performance. 
We will see what happens , but Lamar certainly has a great incentive to have a great year, to get the contract he deserves. 

Archived