Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Minicamp Day 2 Summary

EastStreet

• General -
    • still no contact. Just helmets
    • Media much more quiet than I expected. At least we got a little video today, but wasn't from 7/7 or 11/11. Just pass and catch... ughhhhhh.
    • Some media contact with players finally. 
    • Tomorrow will be the last day for a look at most vets. Typically, the vets go on long vacations, while rooks, UDFAs, and others competing for a spot, return in two weeks. 
  • Buzz items
    • Leonard - Pat got some intel (link below). Ankle issues connected to the back....
    • Kenny
      • "injured" lol... pretty obvious he's there only to avoid the 50k per day fine... 
      • said he's letting his agent deal with the contract... 
      • said he's tired of the slot corner stuff. Wants to be paid like an elite CB, not an elite slot corner... if that's the case, he's thinking he's worth 20ish M... lol
    • Khari - still not present. Reported yesterday he's excused due to a personal matter. Might want to throw a prayer or two his way.
  • Starters - 1075 didn't provide today. Looking from some of the other recaps (and the others are slot to report today too....)
  • Offense
    • QB - Ryan mostly killed it again per most reports I've seen. Haven't see any O vs D passes, but there was a decent amount of pitch and catch in vids, mostly corner EZ shots. Saw one report that Ryan threaded the needle over the CB and under the S for a perfect strike. And seeing lots of deep tosses... oh my!!!!
    • RBs - not really any RB work (nothing shocking here). JT sat out. Hines was with the WRs (more below)
    • WRs/TEs - 
      • Hines - Pass/Catch of the day was Facyson biting on a Ryan fake and Hines streaking freely down the sideline for a nice deep catch. Hines got several nice passes in stride on the day from Ryan
      • Pittman - great contested catch in the seam from Ryan. 
      • The vid I saw showed some nice catches from Parris and Coutee as well. Reported also that Parris had a very nice catch in traffic over the CB for a TD. 
      • Seen various comments that Ryan has had great chemistry with both Parris and Pitt. 
      • Pierce - not much on him today, but he did talk about how smart Ryan is, and how he could literally run the entire offense. I love hearing that, and hope he's the de facto OC this season.
      • Strachan still out after getting 1st team reps and praise in week 1 of OTAs. It's early, but hate he's missing time.
      • TE - more drops.... We've heard both Granson and Woods have battled drop issues for the last 3 weeks, and both struggled again today. Need to clean that up. At least we're not hearing MAC and drops in the same sentence. 
    • OL 
      • Biggest news is that Pinter and Kelly were swapping positions in drills/walkthroughs. Pinter got substantial first team time at C.... Brady stated Pinter remains the #2 center, but I find it interesting that Kelly is moving to RG during those reps, instead of Fries or someone else getting reps... 
    • CBs
      • Another great day for Rodgers. He's had two PBUs on Pierce in two days.
      • Gilmore flashed with an INT on a Ryan to Patmon pass. 
      • Facyson had a PBU too, but not reported who the WR was
    • Safety
      • Nick cross getting a lot of time with 1s with others out. 
    • Injuries - RB-Jonathan Taylor (precautionary), LB-Darius Leonard, DL-Tyquan Lewis, OL-Dennis Kelly, WR-Mike Strachan, CB-Tony Brown, RB-CJ Verdell, LB-Jordan Glasgow, CB-Alex Myres

Links to summaries

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/day-2-colts-minicamp-recap-kenny-moore-talks-contract-situation/

https://omny.fm/shows/the-blue-stable/colts-minicamp-updates-top-15-position-ranking-qb

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/6/8/23160587/turns-out-colts-lb-darius-leonards-ankle-issue-was-caused-by-a-nerve-in-his-back

4 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Matty Ice.

Love it

Yup. We're incredibly lucky to stumble into getting him lol. Probably the best personnel luck we've had in a very long time.

Getting pumped about this season after being very very meh after the season ended. The thought of him driving this offense and being empowered to change things is awesome. Aside from the whole drama of ATL kicking him in the doughnuts, I think it's pretty obvious he wasn't happy with the new O scheme changes in the first place. Hope we let him have free reign to augment things. 

I kinda thought Parris was gonna remind Ryan of Calvin Ridley.  Towards the end in Atlanta, Ridley seemed to become Ryan’s #1 over Julio and his TD numbers were outstanding.  I’m expecting a big year from Campbell.

That is very intriguing stuff about Kelly & Pinter.  Could they really be contemplating the switch permanently?  Finding a way to get the best 5 on the field?

29 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I kinda thought Parris was gonna remind Ryan of Calvin Ridley.  Towards the end in Atlanta, Ridley seemed to become Ryan’s #1 over Julio and his TD numbers were outstanding.  I’m expecting a big year from Campbell.

That is very intriguing stuff about Kelly & Pinter.  Could they really be contemplating the switch permanently?  Finding a way to get the best 5 on the field?

Yup. I like Ridley, but Parris if faster, quicker, and bigger. Jumps better too. Gotta think Ryan will love that. I still think Ryan also loves size, so IMO, he'll love both PC and MPJ a lot. Chemistry has been great with Ryan and both those guys. Just gotta hope PC can keep from breaking something.

Pinter getting reps at OC is not totally strange. The amount of reps, and the fact Kelly moved to OG is what's strange to me. If Kelly went down, pretty obvious Pinter would shuffle. If PInter was starting RG and went down, Kelly is not moving over lol. Or, maybe he will lol. They were giving Fries OC reps in OTAs lol.. But why not give Fries reps at OG? Just strange. Pinter did play extremely well at C last season when called upon. Perhaps they're just getting prepared for a situation where Kelly doesn't rebound. Or perhaps, they are trying to stimulate some competition and give Kelly something to think about. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I like Ridley, but Parris if faster, quicker, and bigger. Jumps better too. Gotta think Ryan will love that. I still think Ryan also loves size, so IMO, he'll love both PC and MPJ a lot. Chemistry has been great with Ryan and both those guys. Just gotta hope PC can keep from breaking something.

Pinter getting reps at OC is not totally strange. The amount of reps, and the fact Kelly moved to OG is what's strange to me. If Kelly went down, pretty obvious Pinter would shuffle. If PInter was starting RG and went down, Kelly is not moving over lol. Or, maybe he will lol. They were giving Fries OC reps in OTAs lol.. But why not give Fries reps at OG? Just strange. Pinter did play extremely well at C last season when called upon. Perhaps they're just getting prepared for a situation where Kelly doesn't rebound. Or perhaps, they are trying to stimulate some competition and give Kelly something to think about. 

Yeah it is strange.  Do you risk moving a pro bowl center to right guard for an unproven youngster?  Unless Pinter is just improving so rapidly that he’s become better than Kelly?  Definitely gonna be something to keep an eye on. 

39 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah it is strange.  Do you risk moving a pro bowl center to right guard for an unproven youngster?  Unless Pinter is just improving so rapidly that he’s become better than Kelly?  Definitely gonna be something to keep an eye on. 

Yup. Good story line to follow. I'm torn a bit. Kelly started with an injury, then had a personal tragedy. So totally can understand a down year. He sorta had off years before last season though. My gut says he's going to come back strong this season though. Or at least I hope so. But I think giving him something to think about is absolutely the right move if that is the intent. 

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I believe they said that he is getting reps in the event that Kelly goes down, he can slide to center. This doesn’t point to Pinter starting over Kelly.

12 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I believe they said that he is getting reps in the event that Kelly goes down, he can slide to center. This doesn’t point to Pinter starting over Kelly.

The weird part is that Kelly slid to RG... Why would he ever be asked to do that? Why not a another player given depth snaps at RG.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly was very mobile when he first arrived and i have often here projected that he would be a better guard.
 Now, he is not as mobile, so...? He seems to get dinged and it affects his power, causing him to get beat with bull rushes. That is a problem!
 He seems a solid, knowledgeable center, not anything special. Pro Bowl last season? That is sad commentary on "Pro Bowls". Pinter was very effective at C, who knew? It would not shock me if Kelly isn't a starter at some point this season.
 I don't think it makes sense for Kelly to be here after this season, so let us see who the best starting 5 is. I hope he is healthy and surprises of course.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The weird part is that Kelly slid to RG... Why would he ever be asked to do that? Why not a another player given depth snaps at RG.

Agree on that being super weird. 

I do remember reading that Ballard said we'll get the 5 best guys out there, but that is still weird sliding Kelly over to RG though. Maybe it will help with his injury history? Idk, just spit balling. 

In regards to Pinter lining up at Center and Kelly sliding to RG - that is interesting to me. Ballard stated the best 5 lineman will play and he was not specific in where they would play.

Perhaps Pinter has ascended to a point where he's better at Center than RG and they feel that Kelly could be a RG at this point in his career? I don't think its a coincidence that he is taking reps at RG as there are other options available.......this could be a real thing that keep our 5 best lineman on the field. 

Smith was a RG that slid out to RT? Ryan Diem started at Guard. Tarik Glenn started at Guard. Lineman slide to different spots all the time!

Kelly pulls well, he double teams well so I can see how he could be the answer at RG moving forward.....

Will be interesting to monitor throughout camp!

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

In regards to Pinter lining up at Center and Kelly sliding to RG - that is interesting to me. Ballard stated the best 5 lineman will play and he was not specific in where they would play.

Perhaps Pinter has ascended to a point where he's better at Center than RG and they feel that Kelly could be a RG at this point in his career? I don't think its a coincidence that he is taking reps at RG as there are other options available.......this could be a real thing that keep our 5 best lineman on the field. 

Smith was a RG that slid out to RT? Ryan Diem started at Guard. Tarik Glenn started at Guard. Lineman slide to different spots all the time!

Kelly pulls well, he double teams well so I can see how he could be the answer at RG moving forward.....

Will be interesting to monitor throughout camp!

And, as was said earlier in this thread, don't discount the Colts sending Kelly a signal that nobody's job is safe..... to keep a fire lit under his backside. His performance and availability has been below expectations the past couple of seasons as a result of injuries, personal family matters, etc. He's expensive and needs to justify that big salary. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Parris is fast but he’s isn’t better than Ridley had Ryan had more of a line Ridley’s Route running ability along with his quickness would be even more on display..that guy gets Open but his routes take some time due to that offense in ATL parris honestly we STILL haven’t seen what he can do he hasn’t lasted enough to participate and be a factor I hope he can produce Bc whenever he is out there he gets targets he just gets hurt in the process which is unfortunate 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think the OC said it was about chemistry or something along those lines. But I definitely agree with you there it was most certainly weird they lined him up at guard.

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Kelly was very mobile when he first arrived and i have often here projected that he would be a better guard.
 Now, he is not as mobile, so...? He seems to get dinged and it affects his power, causing him to get beat with bull rushes. That is a problem!
 He seems a solid, knowledgeable center, not anything special. Pro Bowl last season? That is sad commentary on "Pro Bowls". Pinter was very effective at C, who knew? It would not shock me if Kelly isn't a starter at some point this season.
 I don't think it makes sense for Kelly to be here after this season, so let us see who the best starting 5 is. I hope he is healthy and surprises of course.

I'm a big fan of getting the best 5 on the field. Some OL coaches and OCs are more aggressive in their willingness to shuffle to find the best combo.......  some are just conservative, and it'll take an injury or contract situation to cause a shuffle. We've been very conservative IMO. Waited way too long last season to replace Fisher. DeGuglielmo was the aggressive type who would mix things up regardless of position, and demand competition. Strausser, not so much. 

The way it stands, I think we have 7 good OL to find 5 starters. Nelson and Smith are obviously the top 2. We simply need to figure out the best 3 out of Pryor, Pinter, RKelly, Raimann, and DKelly. 

11 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Agree on that being super weird. 

I do remember reading that Ballard said we'll get the 5 best guys out there, but that is still weird sliding Kelly over to RG though. Maybe it will help with his injury history? Idk, just spit balling. 

To me, I think there's more to the story lol... 

Not saying they intend to make the swap, but I do think they are trying to give guys things to think about. 

I'd love it if we aggressively shuffled things to find the best 5, but we sure didn't do that last season till very late. 

7 hours ago, will426 said:

Parris is fast but he’s isn’t better than Ridley had Ryan had more of a line Ridley’s Route running ability along with his quickness would be even more on display..that guy gets Open but his routes take some time due to that offense in ATL parris honestly we STILL haven’t seen what he can do he hasn’t lasted enough to participate and be a factor I hope he can produce Bc whenever he is out there he gets targets he just gets hurt in the process which is unfortunate 

It's all about availability. But Parris no doubt has better traits. And now Ridley isn't available lol... Parris runs very good routes. And he's more agile than Ridley. Parris just hasn't been available to showcase it. 

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Doesn't make much sense to me (growing chemistry with RK playing OG).

EXACTLY! This is what it is......trying out Pinter at C and Kelly at RG to get a better lineup on the field. They are seeking chemistry but with a switch to see how they play with different shoulders on each side.

RG could literally have been any of Fries, Kelly, Kemp, Murray, and O'Donnell? But no, they just flip-flopped them!

Things that make you say hmmmmmmm.....

On 6/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, EastStreet said:

Leonard - Pat got some intel (link below). Ankle issues connected to the back....

What?   Can they just say that maybe DL is prone to getting nicked?  And that it will excuse some performance issues.

Ryan mostly killed it again per most reports I've seen. Haven't see any O vs D passes, but there was a decent amount of pitch and catch in vids, mostly corner EZ shots. Saw one report that Ryan threaded the needle over the CB and under the S for a perfect strike. And seeing lots of deep tosses... oh my!!!!

talk about how smart Ryan is, and how he could literally run the entire offense. I love hearing that, and hope he's the de facto OC this season.

The QB should be responsible for getting the football to the right offensive player after he sees how the defense lines up.  Its almost impossible for a play caller to do that from the sidelines. 

That ability was probably a shortcoming of Wentz....and while Rivers did it, he probably was a bit limited in what he could personally execute.  I do see Ryan as giving us the best QB situation since Luck.

Biggest news is that Pinter and Kelly were swapping positions in drills/walkthroughs. Pinter got substantial first team time at C.... Brady stated Pinter remains the #2 center, but I find it interesting that Kelly is moving to RG during those reps, instead of Fries or someone else getting reps...

Its consistent with an observation that Kelly has simply lost some mobility over the seasons.  Centers tend to require more mobility than Gs given their head needs to be on a swivel more often, IMO.  Pinter to C and Kelly to RG might be the future.

• CBs
    • Another great day for Rodgers. He's had two PBUs on Pierce in two days.
    • Gilmore flashed with an INT on a Ryan to Patmon pass. 
    • Facyson had a PBU too, but not reported who the WR was
  • Safety
    • Nick cross getting a lot of time with 1s with others out. 

Having more talent in the secondary should matter.  Go figure.  Rodgers continues to ascend. 

And nice things are happening without Kenny?  Hmmm.

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

EXACTLY! This is what it is......trying out Pinter at C and Kelly at RG to get a better lineup on the field. They are seeking chemistry but with a switch to see how they play with different shoulders on each side.

RG could literally have been any of Fries, Kelly, Kemp, Murray, and O'Donnell? But no, they just flip-flopped them!

Things that make you say hmmmmmmm.....

yuppers

So I just read the article about Kelly at RG and wanting Pinter to have 1st team reps with Q on his shoulder……but that leaves a glaring hole at RG on his other shoulder? I mean if he has to step in at C for Kelly then Kelly will not, in fact, be playing RG…….somebody else will. 

Do they think we’re stupid? Call it what it is, an experiment to see if that is a better alignment……

If that pans out and Raimann eventually starts at LT our entire starting oline will be homegrown draft picks…..

Archived