Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Leonard “punch fumble”

WoolMagnet

I noticed yesterday after Leonard created that fumble, that quite a few Jets started trying the punch.  The best example is Pittman’s td catch where the ball was punched out but still ruled a td.  The “punch” grazed by Pitt’s neck area.

Now, Leonard is a surgeon at this.  Its almost a quick short-motion jab.  Very targeted and calculated.

With the recent notoriety of Leonard and “the punch”, i expect to see more and more imitators.  Some will miss the target.

Long term,  i would be surprised if the NFL doesn’t address it on some level.  I mean, in the end, punches are being thrown.  If not careful, which Leonard seems to be, someone could get hurt.

14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I noticed yesterday after Leonard created that fumble, that quite a few Jets started trying the punch.  The best example is Pittman’s td catch where the ball was punched out but still ruled a td.  The “punch” grazed by Pitt’s neck area.

Now, Leonard is a surgeon at this.  Its almost a quick short-motion jab.  Very targeted and calculated.

With the recent notoriety of Leonard and “the punch”, i expect to see more and more imitators.  Some will miss the target.

Long term,  i would be surprised if the NFL doesn’t address it on some level.  I mean, in the end, punches are being thrown.  If not careful, which Leonard seems to be, someone could get hurt.

It's already been addressed. TJ Watt I think got an unsportsmanlike penalty this year trying it and missing the ball completely.

1 hour ago, B~Town said:

It is catching on a player was fined for punching and missing a few weeks ago . Can not remember who off the top of my head .

TJ Watt. He was trying to punch the ball repeatedly while the other guy was already being brought down. It wasn't a football play

Archived