Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz: Penthouse to Outhouse... right back to Penthouse...

EastStreet

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

A major problem component, at least.

The Passing D no doubt. It is a combo of things, I don't think we are getting enough pressure on the QB is the #1 thing, #2 - we really have nobody that is better than average in the secondary other than Kenny Moore, #3 - I think our scheme stinks. The scheme we are in gives up way too many short passes that result in disaster, you need a dominant pass rush to play this scheme and we don't have it.

7 hours ago, John Waylon said:

You shouldn’t have to be explaining this… 

Every game is different. You can carry the ball exactly 20 times in every game every year and guess what? The results will all be different.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the number of carries. It’s the usage in the game those carries represent. 

Reich used Taylor in a * poor way against the Titans, and in a phenomenal way last night. 

Too many people can’t see the forest because of all those trees in their way. :dunno:

I think for most people it wasn’t just the low number of touches JT had (while that is true), but the fact that we didn’t rush more period.

JT had 16 carries vs the Titans, and 19 carries vs the Jets

NH had 1 carry, one! against the Titans, and 6 carries against the Jets.

that’s 8 more carries for the two primary backs in the Jets game than the Titans, and it should have been about 15 more in the Jets game if Reich wouldn’t have just cut the running game out in the fourth quarter. It’s a big reason I believe the Jets crawled back into the game so quickly.

It IS about the number of carries each game as it relates to the passing game. 20 runs vs 50+ passes in the Titans game doomed us. I believe that had 10 of those passes been changed to the run we probably would have won the game without overtime and in regulation.

Frank is not a good game planner or game manager IMO and certainly not anywhere near a good play caller either. I do think if he handed the offense off to a legit offensive coordinator before the start of the year we would probably have 2-3 more wins and 2-3 less losses.

32 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I think for most people it wasn’t just the low number of touches JT had (while that is true), but the fact that we didn’t rush more period.

JT had 16 carries vs the Titans, and 19 carries vs the Jets

NH had 1 carry, one! against the Titans, and 6 carries against the Jets.

that’s 8 more carries for the two primary backs in the Jets game than the Titans, and it should have been about 15 more in the Jets game if Reich wouldn’t have just cut the running game out in the fourth quarter. It’s a big reason I believe the Jets crawled back into the game so quickly.

It IS about the number of carries each game as it relates to the passing game. 20 runs vs 50+ passes in the Titans game doomed us. I believe that had 10 of those passes been changed to the run we probably would have won the game without overtime and in regulation.

Frank is not a good game planner or game manager IMO and certainly not anywhere near a good play caller either. I do think if he handed the offense off to a legit offensive coordinator before the start of the year we would probably have 2-3 more wins and 2-3 less losses.

Is there any way to have more wins without also having less losses? Haha just messing.

Problem is Wentz isn’t Manning or Luck. You have a coach who is hell bent on making Wentz the hero. Wentz is a Tannehill. A game manager not a game changer. Instead of giving the ball to one of if not the hottest back in football to close the game, he wants to prove Wentz is a all time great. No. Let’s throw a ridiculous amount of times and lose the division. Carson is serviceable but is being put in unrealistic situations above his skill level by a coach with a point to prove.

8 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Problem is Wentz isn’t Manning or Luck. You have a coach who is hell bent on making Wentz the hero. Wentz is a Tannehill. A game manager not a game changer. Instead of giving the ball to one of if not the hottest back in football to close the game, he wants to prove Wentz is a all time great. No. Let’s throw a ridiculous amount of times and lose the division. Carson is serviceable but is being put in unrealistic situations above his skill level by a coach with a point to prove.

From what I've seen of Carson he's better than a game manager. I'm not saying he can carry the whole team but he can change the outcome of the game. The guy has skills.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

From what I've seen of Carson he's better than a game manager. I'm not saying he can carry the whole team but he can change the outcome of the game. The guy has skills.

Skills, He’s effective. When used correctly. His numbers are deceptive. He makes horrible decisions trying to play hero.

40-50 pass plays a game he is not. Is he worst not at all. But is he good enough to take carries away from Taylor definitely not. What tier would you put him in?

11 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Carson can make some plays. Not saying he can’t. My problem with Carson has more to do with how he’s being utilized.

29 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

Skills, He’s effective. When used correctly. His numbers are deceptive. He makes horrible decisions trying to play hero.

40-50 pass plays a game he is not. Is he worst not at all. But is he good enough to take carries away from Taylor definitely not. What tier would you put him in?

As of right now.... From what I've seen.... Carson could end up being elite. He's got the arm strength, accuracy, and is mobile. I think he will only get better as a season goes on...... And he does have room to get better. He could end up being scary good.

18 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

… What’s funny is everyone killed Reich for  not giving Taylor more touches and he only had two more runs  last night then in the Titans game…

Sure, if you look at the numbers like that it seems insignificant. The truth is JT has 15,6 carries per game so far this season. That’s not enough for a guy with his playmaking ability.

I’d like to see JT with around 20 carries per game on average. That’s only 5-ish more carries per game. Not necessarily a lot, but JT usually makes a few big plays each game and this gives him more opportunities to do so. 

I get the idea of keeping him fresh for the (currently unlikely) scenario we get to the playoffs and I’m 100% behind that. But, it’s not just about giving JT more opportunities to make big plays, it’s also about balancing the offense and keeping our opponents guessing. The last Titans game was one of the worst called games I have ever seen - Frank completely forgot about the run game in the 4th and OT. 

Now, Wentz. I love him. I was skeptical about the trade, but he has done really well. Early this season he was the only thing keeping us in the games. He only has 3 ints to 17 tds but people only seem to see this last Titans game. 

Wentz is the only reason we're still hoping for playoffs and still we're here judging him for trying too much.

THE WORST PASS D IN THE LEAGUE!

Stop that feed JT more, yes he's great, but nobody can win games against 8 in Box, some of the greatest runs last 2 weeks were because of Wentz audible out of problem and putting JT against 7 light.

Ofense with OL coming back: BIG CHECK

Defense: All we have is a Fumble 1x per game (thanks 53), the rest is hope.

He is inconsistent. He has the talent to pull off MVP type of performances but he also has the days where you can ask yourself where his mind has gone like the 49ers and Titans games. As of right now we probably cannot do better than him. Great QBs don't hit FA often enough and the QB draft class is not great either. I think at this point I would have to say we are better off sticking with him for next year and continuing to evaluate him and trying to fix some of his negative volatility issues. :dunno:

5 hours ago, stitches said:

He is inconsistent. He has the talent to pull off MVP type of performances but he also has the days where you can ask yourself where his mind has gone like the 49ers and Titans games. As of right now we probably cannot do better than him. Great QBs don't hit FA often enough and the QB draft class is not great either. I think at this point I would have to say we are better off sticking with him for next year and continuing to evaluate him and trying to fix some of his negative volatility issues. :dunno:

He didn’t play bad in the 49ers game when you consider it was a monsoon.  He had a shaky drive and then got it under control.  Yes the second Titans game was bad, at least from the 4th on, and I’ve said that was the Wentz the Eagles gave up on.  Still it’s been one game and really one and half quarters out of nine games this season.  That’s a large enough sample size to say that the Colts were right when they gambled on Frank being able straighten out Wentz.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:41 PM, csmopar said:

Ehhh I’m slowly but surely starting to like this trade.....

I think he'll be more than adequate, a lot more, if we just surround him with the right things, and the right game plans. 

Not saying we need to go ultra run heaving like we did with JB, or stay dink/dunk like we did with Rivers, but just stay balanced, don't ask him to be a hero, and take a few calculated deep ball shots per half. We know he's capable of good and bad, just need to  promote the good. But all QBs have bad days. Carson had his two weeks ago, Stafford has his yesterday, etc.. 

On 11/5/2021 at 6:12 PM, shasta519 said:

What is top 10ish? Because he's not top 10 in many stats. That's not hating...that's stating (facts).

First and foremost, I believe I said top 10"ISH"....

But to say he's not top 10 in many stats is just not factual.

He's top 10, or top 10ish in most of the major stat categories.

Personally I weight PR, QBR, and ANYA highly. 

Right now he

#10 in total yards

#11 in passer rating

#9 in QBR

#7 in TDs and 9th in TD%

#3 in INTs and INT% (least)

#10 in ANYA

But you blame coaching and then call this the best game of his career. Seems like you've got an out ROS I guess. If you blame Reich for TEN, you have to give him a bunch of credit for the NYJ game. Because Wentz was completing mostly pretty short passes to first-read wide open pass catchers against a terrible pass defense. I would hope that he succeed in that environment, especially in the context of a game where his RBs were unstoppable.

I blame Frank for not doing simple and logical things vs TN both games.

Frank doing simple and logical things vs NYJs doesn't really deserve credit. It's expected.

Wentz had a fine game, but yeah...not a top 10 QB.

A lot of stats disagree.

I'll just leave this here.  So for those who are saying they aren't sold that Carson is the guy for the long haul or isn't a top ten QB.

Yards         TD's         Int's.          QBR  

Carson Wentz               2198           17             3             59.1

Unnamed QB                2236          17              5             57.5

The Unnamed QB was before last weekends game in the running for league MVP and still could be but had an off week.  I think you all know the unnamed QB I'm referring to here.  Biggest difference here is the unnamed QB plays on a team that doesn't have a defense that resembles swiss cheese.

Oh and for those who may not know the unnamed QB it's Josh Allen.

Archived