Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possibilities at 34 (Top 5) (Un-Edited)

The Colts hold the 34th overall pick in the draft, and there are many players that they can choose. I'll rank the top 5, and picking players that should be there.

The Colts will take most probably take Andrew Luck first overall so based on that, these are the top 5 players (from 5 to 1) that they should take:

5. Rueben Randle -- Wide Receiver -- LSU

The Colts have their number 1 receiver in Reggie Wayne, and they have some other quality receivers like Austin Collie and Donnie Avery, but they are clearly missing a good #2 receiver. What makes a good #2 receiver. The way I see it, the ideal receiving core is a core that is made up of:

- A #1 who is a reliable receiver who is good all around

- A #2 who is a deep threat while also being pretty big

- A #3 who is a possesion receiver

For the Colts to fit that, Rueben Randle should be picked. He could become a good #2 receiver and a good target for Andrew Luck for many years to come. He could give Luck a great redzone target. Wide receiver isn't the biggest need, but don't be surprised if they go with a receiving target in the 2nd round to compliment Luck.

4. Jayron Hosley -- Cornerback -- Virginia Tech

A big need for the Colts is the cornerback spot. Although Chuck Pagano likes our current cornerbacks, they have not produced in the past, and that's mainly because of the schem, but even then, they aren't that great. They could use a good number 2 or a nickelback. Hosley can play both. He's a good tough tackler who is good in coverage. He's a very underrated prospect. Jayron Hosley is a mid 2nd round prospect, so you could make the case that this is a slight reach, but if you're confident on someone, you have to go with your gut. This kid impresses me in every way, and could become a very good starter in the league. He could become an elite nickelback, should he become a nickelback. This would be a solid pick for the Colts.

3. Kendall Reyes -- Defensive Tackle -- Connecticut

Kendall Reyes could either become the NT or he could become a 3-4 DE. Both are needs (although NT is a bigger need than DE). Reyes' stock is soaring due to a great pro day and solid combine. On tape, he is also very impressive with his ability to get to the QB and his good run stopping skills. He reminds me of a better Drake Nevis, and slightly bigger (about 6 pounds bigger). He's very versatile which means with some learning, he could become the NT. He has 1st round talent and don't be surprised if they make Pagano happy by helping out the defense. It's hard to have a good 3-4 with a bad nose tackle; some defenses get away with an okay NT, but you won't have a good D, and won't be good on early downs with a bad NT. Reyes could become a Jay Ratliff type NT.

2. Janoris Jenkins -- Cornerback -- North Alabama

One of the more talented cornerbacks in this class. He's arguably the 2nd best, but off-the-field issues may kill his stock; kill it enough to drop to the Colts at 34. Janoris Jenkins is a risky pick, but if he pays off (like I think he should), he could become a #1 CB. The reason I think he'll get a better attitude is that he's coming to Indianapolis. He got in many fights in Florida, more specifically South Florida, where there are fights happening all the time. In Indianapolis, it's a much calmer and safer environment (don't get me wrong, I love south Florida, but it's not the greatest place for an immature football player). Either way, he's great in coverage and has good tacking skills. He would make the CB spot a non-need, and would become a very good #2 CB, and maybe in the future, a good #1 CB.

1. Coby Fleener -- Tight End -- Stanford

This is the perfect possible pick for the Colts. Coby Fleener is good friends with Andrew Luck. That's one big reaosn why they should take him. He's the best TE in the country. That's another reason. He's one of the most athletic TEs I've ever seen. Another big reason. Oh, and he had an impressive combine and pretty good pro day. This guy has first round talent, but not many teams need a TE in the first round. Teams may look in the middle rounds to find TEs. Either way, Fleener is the best possible pick for the Colts as he fills the Colts' biggest need (in my opinion), and he could become an elite tight end, and that's not an understatement. They should take Fleener and never look back. They give Luck a great target, and bring in his good friend. That's an advantage over any other prospect on the board.

Thoughts?

Man why you got to mention Randle. I don't think he is a deep threat by any means

I think the 17.3 yards per catch stat speaks for itself on top of him having a catch of 30 yards+ in 8 games and 40 yards+ in 5 games, on a top that doesn't pass much.

I don't see blow off the top speed which is what I'm wanting. That and Brian Quick.

YAC Demon?

Not really a YAC demon, but a good deep threat. I don't know about his speed because some sites say 4.45 and others say 4.53 and I can't seem to find a vid of it, so I'll just say it's in the late 4.4s, which is good for a 6'3 guy. He's worth the look, that's all I'm saying, that's why he's my number 5, not number 1.

I really like this, I'm pretty much right there with you for the first 3 picks, but I'm not sure on Hosley. I'm no expert on the guy, but I feel like we'd be reaching down a bit for him. His stock may have risen in the eyes of many, but I feel like there may be a few OGs in there who might be a better choice from a BPA stand-point, and the guard class isn't as deep as the CB class.

Also, I'm glad you delicately worded that these are players would SHOULD be there rather than may, I'm already predicting a lot of people mentioning Stephen Hill, Wright, etc.. xD

the more i think about it i would take fleener over jenkins. luck will need all the weapons he can to do well this year. jenkins is a great cb that we need but te is bigger need we have no one. powers,thomas, are decent enough and we can get a cb in 3rd round like trumaine johnson,chase minnifield,dwight bently.

all those guys are a reach in my opinion except Fleener who I dont expect to be their simply cause I believe the giants will draft him or 49ers and Jenkins and like SuperBowlBust said Ill throw something at the tv if they draft Reyes or Hosley that early

I watched tape on Reyes... i was not too impresed, I did however love the Highlights Akiem Hicks had, even if it was at a lower competitive level, he had solid moves, quick feet, and good power, plus his lateral qucikness was impressive, and the best part... We can get him in the Fifth round.

I would probably throw something at my TV if we drafted Kendall Reyes or Jayron Hosley with our 34th pick. Both are big reaches there. We could get Hosley in the 3rd and I dont even want Reyes. We have enough 3-4 DEs.

Reyes is highest reated player on that list other than Jenkins. He would be a great player and would likely be starting in Sept. He is a projected first round player. At 3-4 DE we have Redding. Maybe Moala or Nevis will pan out there. Maybe not. Reyes is an upgrade and you need 4 guys for the rotation.

The Colts hold the 34th overall pick in the draft, and there are many players that they can choose. I'll rank the top 5, and picking players that should be there.

The Colts will take most probably take Andrew Luck first overall so based on that, these are the top 5 players (from 5 to 1) that they should take:

5. Rueben Randle -- Wide Receiver -- LSU

The Colts have their number 1 receiver in Reggie Wayne, and they have some other quality receivers like Austin Collie and Donnie Avery, but they are clearly missing a good #2 receiver. What makes a good #2 receiver. The way I see it, the ideal receiving core is a core that is made up of:

- A #1 who is a reliable receiver who is good all around

- A #2 who is a deep threat while also being pretty big

- A #3 who is a possesion receiver

For the Colts to fit that, Rueben Randle should be picked. He could become a good #2 receiver and a good target for Andrew Luck for many years to come. He could give Luck a great redzone target. Wide receiver isn't the biggest need, but don't be surprised if they go with a receiving target in the 2nd round to compliment Luck.

4. Jayron Hosley -- Cornerback -- Virginia Tech

A big need for the Colts is the cornerback spot. Although Chuck Pagano likes our current cornerbacks, they have not produced in the past, and that's mainly because of the schem, but even then, they aren't that great. They could use a good number 2 or a nickelback. Hosley can play both. He's a good tough tackler who is good in coverage. He's a very underrated prospect. Jayron Hosley is a mid 2nd round prospect, so you could make the case that this is a slight reach, but if you're confident on someone, you have to go with your gut. This kid impresses me in every way, and could become a very good starter in the league. He could become an elite nickelback, should he become a nickelback. This would be a solid pick for the Colts.

3. Kendall Reyes -- Defensive Tackle -- Connecticut

Kendall Reyes could either become the NT or he could become a 3-4 DE. Both are needs (although NT is a bigger need than DE). Reyes' stock is soaring due to a great pro day and solid combine. On tape, he is also very impressive with his ability to get to the QB and his good run stopping skills. He reminds me of a better Drake Nevis, and slightly bigger (about 6 pounds bigger). He's very versatile which means with some learning, he could become the NT. He has 1st round talent and don't be surprised if they make Pagano happy by helping out the defense. It's hard to have a good 3-4 with a bad nose tackle; some defenses get away with an okay NT, but you won't have a good D, and won't be good on early downs with a bad NT. Reyes could become a Jay Ratliff type NT.

2. Janoris Jenkins -- Cornerback -- North Alabama

One of the more talented cornerbacks in this class. He's arguably the 2nd best, but off-the-field issues may kill his stock; kill it enough to drop to the Colts at 34. Janoris Jenkins is a risky pick, but if he pays off (like I think he should), he could become a #1 CB. The reason I think he'll get a better attitude is that he's coming to Indianapolis. He got in many fights in Florida, more specifically South Florida, where there are fights happening all the time. In Indianapolis, it's a much calmer and safer environment (don't get me wrong, I love south Florida, but it's not the greatest place for an immature football player). Either way, he's great in coverage and has good tacking skills. He would make the CB spot a non-need, and would become a very good #2 CB, and maybe in the future, a good #1 CB.

1. Coby Fleener -- Tight End -- Stanford

This is the perfect possible pick for the Colts. Coby Fleener is good friends with Andrew Luck. That's one big reaosn why they should take him. He's the best TE in the country. That's another reason. He's one of the most athletic TEs I've ever seen. Another big reason. Oh, and he had an impressive combine and pretty good pro day. This guy has first round talent, but not many teams need a TE in the first round. Teams may look in the middle rounds to find TEs. Either way, Fleener is the best possible pick for the Colts as he fills the Colts' biggest need (in my opinion), and he could become an elite tight end, and that's not an understatement. They should take Fleener and never look back. They give Luck a great target, and bring in his good friend. That's an advantage over any other prospect on the board.

Thoughts?

You know Andy, I really do like this list. Randel will be the WR who would be ready to contribute right away. Quick, Streeter, and Givens may develop into better players down the road but are pretty raw right now so Randel is ahead of them. Fleener, Jenkins, or Reyes would be starters right away. I'm not sold on Hosley just yet as Streeter did kill him this year. He would ideally be a great nickle guy. I'd rather have Robinson at 34. Good list. A similar list for the third round would be fun.

I would probably throw something at my TV if we drafted Kendall Reyes or Jayron Hosley with our 34th pick. Both are big reaches there. We could get Hosley in the 3rd and I dont even want Reyes. We have enough 3-4 DEs.

to bad redding is the only who has proven he can actually play the position. and reyes at 34 is not a reach at all according to most pundits

Is all of this using the assumtion that Alameda Ta'amu is not available? I think he would be a great snag if he is still around.

Ta'Amu with the 34th pick would be way to high. He's not a borderline 1st round/early 2nd round talent at all. If anything he's in the lower half of the 2nd round or early part of the 3rd, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team reaches for him. If we took him at 34 that would be a very large reach, especially if Fleener, Jenkins and Randle we're still on the board.

@Andy - Overall I'm on the fence with Randle. While I do think he's got what it takes to be a #2 WR or if we're lucky a future #1, but I'm wondering what we're really getting with him. While the QBs who were throwing to him (I feel bad for anyone on that team who had to catch a ball from Jefferson) were not amazing, with Luck do you think he's got a legit chance to become a future #1 WR?

I watched tape on Reyes... i was not too impresed, I did however love the Highlights Akiem Hicks had, even if it was at a lower competitive level, he had solid moves, quick feet, and good power, plus his lateral qucikness was impressive, and the best part... We can get him in the Fifth round.

Nice combination of size and short-area quickness. Definately active. Definately worth a mid to late round selection. Thanks for sharing!

There is no way I would use a pick on Hicks. I never see him take on a double team or any real blocking let along any kind of hands. What I do see is good size, but a very..very raw player that might have a shot as a undrafted rookie free agent.