Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schedule a blessing? / Mobile QB needed early?

EastStreet

Just talked to a buddy. Our conversation (after the Q talk) centered around two things.

1. Is our schedule a bit of a blessing? Get the hard games, and most likely losses, out of the way while starters might be out?
    1. TN's early schedule isn't easy either, so perhaps we don't lose a ton of ground.
    2. Our early game vs TN is at TN, so at least we may have our players back for TN at home, and split the series.
  2. I still think Eason is the best option overall on our current roster (OL in tact), but if we're without the entire left side of the OL early, can Eason survive the pass rush against teams like Seattle and especially the Rams?
    1. Do we need to look closer at BH and SE even though they might struggle throwing?
    2. Do we need to look outside for a mobile guy. Mariota, Bortles, RG3, Minshew? Doubt Jax wants to let Minshew go. I think LVR would deal Mariota. Bortles and RG3 are both FAs and could be had for cheap with no draft capital.

Overall, I think the injury to Nelson hurts more right now than Wentz, given Fisher is already likely out, and Kelly is nursing an elbow.

Things are starting to get gloomy.

Kelly should be back at practice next week or the week after. 

You are right though. Maybe it will help some too havinf two home games to start the season.

A lot will play out the next five weeks. The experience the backups are getting now will help if they have to play.

Also Eason playing with a injured oline in practice and getting a bunch of practice may not be a bad thing.  He is learning to deal with  it quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Kelly should be back at practice next week or the week after. 

You are right though. Maybe it will help some too havinf two home games to start the season.

A lot will play out the next five weeks. The experience the backups are getting now will help if they have to play.

Also Eason playing with a injured oline in practice and getting a bunch of practice may not be a bad thing.  He is learning to deal with  it quickly. 

Kelly is nice, but not having Fisher and Q turns our top 10 OL into a bottom 10 OL... 

Not talking about 2 homes games early. I'm simply talking about having the hardest games early, and the easy stretch late when our starters should be back.

Eason practicing with scrub OLs won't really help a lot when the Rams wrecking crew come calling.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly is nice, but not having Fisher and Q turns our top 10 OL into a bottom 10 OL... 

Not talking about 2 homes games early. I'm simply talking about having the hardest games early, and the easy stretch late when our starters should be back.

Eason practicing with scrub OLs won't really help a lot when the Rams wrecking crew come calling.

I think Kelly is very important to help Eason identify coverages. He is really good at it.

I keep hearing all this "tough start" talk..... Ok...Seattle.  a year older, and their Defense isn't the legion of boom exactly... LAR?  Who knows, perennial underachievers.... But likely a tough out ... TN? Meh, toss up...Julio offsets their losses in FA, not much more.... Miami?  Not there yet.... Balt?  Decent team, but I'd be more frightened if they weren't so run focused.... Could be 2-3, could just as easy be 3-2.....

15 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I keep hearing all this "tough start" talk..... Ok...Seattle.  a year older, and their Defense isn't the legion of boom exactly... LAR?  Who knows, perennial underachievers.... But likely a tough out ... TN? Meh, toss up...Julio offsets their losses in FA, not much more.... Miami?  Not there yet.... Balt?  Decent team, but I'd be more frightened if they weren't so run focused.... Could be 2-3, could just as easy be 3-2.....

Given our O will likely be anemic, Seattle will focus on our run, which they are already good at.... 

And their O (one of the best deep ball QBs, plus mobile) will likely shred our pass D with DK... And Locket is coming off two 1000 yard seasons.

Rams have underachieved mostly because of QB IMO. That's changed now. He did get a boo boo on his surgically repaired thumb today though.

TN will beat us without Nelson, Fisher, and Wentz. Not a toss up. Same with Balt.

Miami is a toss up, but they're much improved, and it's in Miami.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, EastStreet said:

Given our O will likely be anemic, Seattle will focus on our run, which they are already good at.... 

And their O (one of the best deep ball QBs, plus mobile) will likely shred our pass D with DK... And Locket is coming off two 1000 yard seasons.

Rams have underachieved mostly because of QB IMO. That's changed now. He did get a boo boo on his surgically repaired thumb today though.

TN will beat us without Nelson, Fisher, and Wentz. Not a toss up. Same with Balt.

Miami is a toss up, but they're much improved, and it's in Miami.

EastStreet, the Colts are going 5-0. Bet your house on it.

Drunk The Office GIF

On 8/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, EastStreet said:

Just talked to a buddy. Our conversation (after the Q talk) centered around two things.

1. Is our schedule a bit of a blessing? Get the hard games, and most likely losses, out of the way while starters might be out?
    1. TN's early schedule isn't easy either, so perhaps we don't lose a ton of ground.
    2. Our early game vs TN is at TN, so at least we may have our players back for TN at home, and split the series.
  2. I still think Eason is the best option overall on our current roster (OL in tact), but if we're without the entire left side of the OL early, can Eason survive the pass rush against teams like Seattle and especially the Rams?
    1. Do we need to look closer at BH and SE even though they might struggle throwing?
    2. Do we need to look outside for a mobile guy. Mariota, Bortles, RG3, Minshew? Doubt Jax wants to let Minshew go. I think LVR would deal Mariota. Bortles and RG3 are both FAs and could be had for cheap with no draft capital.

Overall, I think the injury to Nelson hurts more right now than Wentz, given Fisher is already likely out, and Kelly is nursing an elbow

I don’t really think that mobility is the key when there is a bad line situation unless you are going Tebow or Lamar Jackson type college O.  Don’t get me wrong, it can help, especially if the QB is good s at eyes downfield while on the run, or exceptional at safely breaking containment and getting his in the running game.

but for my money, the best way to cover up a bad line is to have a guy like PR who makes quick progressions and has a quick release.  

as far as the schedule, I thought we were going to struggle to start the season anyway even with the best of circumstances with the 4h new starting QB in four years and dependence on so many guys making giant leaps.  So maybe yeah, the schedule could help us with all the injuries with backups getting PT early and hopefully being more valuable later.

I thought we would be 8-8 or 9-7 before the practice fields in Westfield became a triage unit.  

On 8/3/2021 at 8:51 PM, Shafty138 said:

Everything I'm hearing is saying Stafford us tearing it up with Rams so far. Only real game play can back it up though.

23 hours ago, Nickster said:

I don’t really think that mobility is the key when there is a bad line situation unless you are going Tebow or Lamar Jackson type college O.  Don’t get me wrong, it can help, especially if the QB is good s at eyes downfield while on the run, or exceptional at safely breaking containment and getting his in the running game.

but for my money, the best way to cover up a bad line is to have a guy like PR who makes quick progressions and has a quick release.  

as far as the schedule, I thought we were going to struggle to start the season anyway even with the best of circumstances with the 4h new starting QB in four years and dependence on so many guys making giant leaps.  So maybe yeah, the schedule could help us with all the injuries with backups getting PT early and hopefully being more valuable later.

I thought we would be 8-8 or 9-7 before the practice fields in Westfield became a triage unit.  

I think mobility comes into play a bit given we'll be without half of the OL, and a little bit more because we'll likely have a 2nd year QB who had two primary knocks (mobility and pocket presence). 

Eason is more mobile than Rivers, but he doesn't process near like Rivers. I just expect Reich to go heavy run+dink/dunk early against good good DLs. I'm sure we'll use a lot of help too, RBs and TE chips. 

Gonna be interesting come next week. I just hope we see Eason for a half so we get a good sample.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think mobility comes into play a bit given we'll be without half of the OL, and a little bit more because we'll likely have a 2nd year QB who had two primary knocks (mobility and pocket presence). 

Eason is more mobile than Rivers, but he doesn't process near like Rivers. I just expect Reich to go heavy run+dink/dunk early against good good DLs. I'm sure we'll use a lot of help too, RBs and TE chips. 

Gonna be interesting come next week. I just hope we see Eason for a half so we get a good sample.

Oline health will determine if we are at all competitive offensively without WentZ.

Veddy intadestinc

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Oline health will determine if we are at all competitive offensively without WentZ.

Veddy intadestinc

Run game success might look sketchy early too. Guess we'll be running right a lot lol...

I predicted prior to all the injuries that our running game may get off to a slot start. Even more now.

There’s several reasons to be optimistic:

Frank Reich. When an injured Luck couldn’t throw a real football, we had Frank to bring in a game plan where he could progress.

When JB was suddenly thrust into the starting role, Frank schemed him into a 5-2 start.

When we acquired that gun-slinging statue named Phillip Rivers, Frank created an offense that made use of his quick release and accuracy.

Now, we have a big ??? at QB and we’re trusting Frank to see what we have (or what we need, until Wentz gets back). I’m okay with that.

Chris Ballard  
   If it turns out our backup OTs are so bad, there’s still time (and money) to grab a serviceable player when teams make their cuts and we do have Pinter to play guard, until Q returns.

Defense and Special Teams

Both were ranked top ten last year and they could actually have a better pass rush this year, which would affect their secondary.

I’m optimistic about this year. As far as the first five games, who knows? The opposition could have weaknesses as well and may have injuries they have to deal with.

Tough schedule for sure.  However, Colts still need to win half of them.  That’s what good teams do even with their back up QB. All phases must execute.  How competitive we are will definitely show the coaching staff’s capabilities. I understand the starting QB is out and left side of offensive line is down.  Doesn’t matter, still have a job to do so figure it out. 

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

There’s several reasons to be optimistic:

Frank Reich. When an injured Luck couldn’t throw a real football, we had Frank to bring in a game plan where he could progress.

When JB was suddenly thrust into the starting role, Frank schemed him into a 5-2 start.

When we acquired that gun-slinging statue named Phillip Rivers, Frank created an offense that made use of his quick release and accuracy.

Now, we have a big ??? at QB and we’re trusting Frank to see what we have (or what we need, until Wentz gets back). I’m okay with that.

Chris Ballard  
   If it turns out our backup OTs are so bad, there’s still time (and money) to grab a serviceable player when teams make their cuts and we do have Pinter to play guard, until Q returns.

Defense and Special Teams

Both were ranked top ten last year and they could actually have a better pass rush this year, which would affect their secondary.

I’m optimistic about this year. As far as the first five games, who knows? The opposition could have weaknesses as well and may have injuries they have to deal with.

Good sensible post. I really hope Tevi gets cut. Le'Raven Clark looked better. Let granson get some snaps at LT over Tevi. ;)

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Run game success might look sketchy early too. Guess we'll be running right a lot lol...

I predicted prior to all the injuries that our running game may get off to a slot start. Even more now.

As much as we've disagreed about other stuff, you are reading my mail on most of the state of the team right now.  

55 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Good sensible post. I really hope Tevi gets cut. Le'Raven Clark looked better. Let granson get some snaps at LT over Tevi. ;)

Good Lord I would never think I would agree with some saying something crazy like Le Raven Clark Looked better.  But yeah.  He did.  That's a horror flick.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:23 AM, EastStreet said:

Overall, I think the injury to Nelson hurts more right now than Wentz, given Fisher is already likely out, and Kelly is nursing an elbow.

The issue with us losing against the strong teams is we very well could end up losing tie-breakers for playoff-positioning. 

Losing to the Titans, Ravens and/or Dolphins could end up biting us in the behind. 

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The issue with us losing against the strong teams is we very well could end up losing tie-breakers for playoff-positioning. 

Losing to the Titans, Ravens and/or Dolphins could end up biting us in the behind. 

Rams and Hawks are NFC tho?

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Devils advocate : Tevi is actually a serviceable LT, and Kwity just happens to be the best rookie rusher in the entire league. 

I hope so, but from what I've seen we'd have the love child of Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White if that were true.

Please. Starters shouldn’t be allowed to play in the preseason games the way this season has already started. Lol

I agree with the OP. The Nelson injury hurts pretty bad right now. You can’t expect our backup guard (Pinter) to block both the DL and DE like Big Q did.

It would be nice to see the best from Eason or  S.E but with all the pressure on their backside I’m not sure that’s possible.

34 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

True, but he has a good point.  The Ravens, the Dolphins and the Titans are all expected to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.    If we were going to lose 2 games, it'd be best if the were the Hawks and Rams games.  

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's prolly gonna be perdy phugly for a few weeks.

46 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I know, but losing more than those first two of the first 6-8 games could be a problem in the long run. We face a lot of good teams in that span some of which are AFC contenders.

19 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I know, but losing more than those first two of the first 6-8 games could be a problem in the long run. We face a lot of good teams in that span some of which are AFC contenders.

I mean if we can go 2-2 to start that'd be huge. 

43 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Anyone else not really that impressed with Dolphins. Tua was really unimpressive last year and was benched multiple times.

Hard to tell. They have a good defense. I wouldn't write off Tua just yet. 

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Good news is, our schedule down the stretch is easy. If Wentz comes on, I'd be happy with a WC spot. If we're mediocre, it won't really matter anyway. I'm OK with a loss to TN in game one at TN. A Ravens loss was already expected by most. I agree a loss to the fins would hurt.

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

It's prolly gonna be perdy phugly for a few weeks.

I still think we can win game one in ugly fashion. Game two on the other hand, long shot.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, EastStreet said:

So, where do I go to schedule a blessing?

We sure could go for some blessings on our QB and OL.

So it goes!

8 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Anyone else not really that impressed with Dolphins. Tua was really unimpressive last year and was benched multiple times.

They’re pretty talented, but I don’t think tua is any good. Mariota 2.0,iMO.  As in not good enough.  I would favor them though is Wentz isn’t qbing.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Good news is, our schedule down the stretch is easy. If Wentz comes on, I'd be happy with a WC spot. If we're mediocre, it won't really matter anyway. I'm OK with a loss to TN in game one at TN. A Ravens loss was already expected by most. I agree a loss to the fins would hurt.

I still think we can win game one in ugly fashion. Game two on the other hand, long shot.

I don’t see it in our current state, any given Sunday, but the line is in horrendous shape as we stand.  Nelson’s foot makes a difference but as I said in another thread either Paye is the spawn of LT and Reggie W or our LT situation is more than bleak.

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t see it in our current state, any given Sunday, but the line is in horrendous shape as we stand.  Nelson’s foot makes a difference but as I said in another thread either Paye is the spawn of LT and Reggie W or our LT situation is more than bleak.

It's week 1, and it's in Indy. Seattle won't know what to expect. If I were them, I'd be playing run-right all day. If Eason can be effective, we have a chance. He doesn't have to be a superstar, he just needs Reich to have a good game plan, and our D to have a good day. 

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's week 1, and it's in Indy. Seattle won't know what to expect. If I were them, I'd be playing run-right all day. If Eason can be effective, we have a chance. He doesn't have to be a superstar, he just needs Reich to have a good game plan, and our D to have a good day. 

If I was feeling pessimistic I’d point out Reich can’t win game 1 though… or at Jags…

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If I was feeling pessimistic I’d point out Reich can’t win game 1 though… or at Jags…

It is strange, we have lost 7 straight opening day games from 2014-2020. Maybe the jinx will be over this year?? Who knows. Seattle will be a tough game, maybe Wilson be a little off since it is early in the season.

Archived