Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 14th best starting roster (PFF entering the 2021 season)

EastStreet

Decent overview of the 32 teams. I especially like that they listed the starters on both sides (O and D) for each team along with grades.

Not a lot of specifics around the entire roster, but highlights strengths, weaknesses, and X factors for each team. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-for-all-32-teams-for-2021-strengths-weaknesses-and-x-factors-for-every-teams-starting-lineup

here's the blurb on the Colts

"14. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Biggest strength: Offensive linemen aren't supposed to dominate the way Quenton Nelson has to begin his NFL career. PFF's wins above replacement metric recognizes him as the most valuable offensive lineman in the league since he was drafted in 2018, beating out the likes of Zack Martin and Ryan Ramczyk. Nelson is the centerpiece of one of the better overall offensive lines after the Eric Fisher addition helped solidify the left tackle spot. Indianapolis has PFF's second-ranked offensive line entering the 2021 season behind only the Browns.

Biggest weakness: Rock Ya-Sin has struggled with up-and-down play to begin his NFL career, and last season, there were more downs than ups. Ya-Sin finished his 2020 campaign with a 48.2 coverage grade, and penalties have been an issue throughout his first two seasons. He ranks among the top 10 cornerbacks in the league in accepted penalties since 2019. No signs of improvement early this season could allow Marvell Tell III to compete for a starting job outside after opting out of the 2020 season.

X factor for 2021: Kemoko Turay got out to a tremendous start to the 2019 season, recording 14 pressures on 61 pass-rushing snaps before an ankle injury prematurely ended his year. That same ankle injury lingered into 2020. As a result, Turay was only able to play 104 snaps this past season without the same kind of explosion he showed prior to the injury. He'll have an opportunity to take on a larger role in 2021 due to the losses of Justin Houston and Denico Autry.

2021 Colts

OFFENSE

QB Carson Wentz (65.0)

RB Jonathan Taylor (80.7)

RB Nyheim Hines (82.4)

WR T.Y. Hilton (75.9)

WR Michael Pittman Jr. (62.8)

WR Parris Campbell (54.7*)

TE Mo Alie-Cox (80.9)

LT Eric Fisher (80.1)

LG Quenton Nelson (87.5)

C Ryan Kelly (68.0)

RG Mark Glowinski (67.1)

RT Braden Smith (80.1)

DEFENSE

DI DeForest Buckner (89.6)

DI Grover Stewart (68.1)

EDGE Kwity Paye (86.3**)

EDGE Kemoko Turay (62.9*)

LB Darius Leonard (70.4)

LB Bobby Okereke (47.7)

LB Zaire Franklin (69.3)

CB Xavier Rhodes (77.3)

CB Rock Ya-Sin (49.9)

CB Kenny Moore II (73.8)

S Khari Willis (70.5)

S Julian Blackmon (59.4)"

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Decent overview of the 32 teams. I especially like that they listed the starters on both sides (O and D) for each team along with grades.

Not a lot of specifics around the entire roster, but highlights strengths, weaknesses, and X factors for each team. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-for-all-32-teams-for-2021-strengths-weaknesses-and-x-factors-for-every-teams-starting-lineup

"14. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Biggest strength: Offensive linemen aren't supposed to dominate the way Quenton Nelson has to begin his NFL career. PFF's wins above replacement metric recognizes him as the most valuable offensive lineman in the league since he was drafted in 2018, beating out the likes of Zack Martin and Ryan Ramczyk. Nelson is the centerpiece of one of the better overall offensive lines after the Eric Fisher addition helped solidify the left tackle spot. Indianapolis has PFF's second-ranked offensive line entering the 2021 season behind only the Browns.

Biggest weakness: Rock Ya-Sin has struggled with up-and-down play to begin his NFL career, and last season, there were more downs than ups. Ya-Sin finished his 2020 campaign with a 48.2 coverage grade, and penalties have been an issue throughout his first two seasons. He ranks among the top 10 cornerbacks in the league in accepted penalties since 2019. No signs of improvement early this season could allow Marvell Tell III to compete for a starting job outside after opting out of the 2020 season.

X factor for 2021: Kemoko Turay got out to a tremendous start to the 2019 season, recording 14 pressures on 61 pass-rushing snaps before an ankle injury prematurely ended his year. That same ankle injury lingered into 2020. As a result, Turay was only able to play 104 snaps this past season without the same kind of explosion he showed prior to the injury. He'll have an opportunity to take on a larger role in 2021 due to the losses of Justin Houston and Denico Autry.

2021 Colts

OFFENSE

QB Carson Wentz (65.0)

RB Nyheim Hines (82.4)

WR T.Y. Hilton (75.9)

TE Mo Alie-Cox (80.9)

LT Eric Fisher (80.1)

LG Quenton Nelson (87.5)

C Ryan Kelly (68.0)

RG Mark Glowinski (67.1)

RT Braden Smith (80.1)

DEFENSE

DI Grover Stewart (68.1)

EDGE Kwity Paye (86.3**)

LB Darius Leonard (70.4)

LB Bobby Okereke (47.7)

LB Zaire Franklin (69.3)

CB Xavier Rhodes (77.3)

CB Rock Ya-Sin (49.9)

CB Kenny Moore II (73.8)

S Khari Willis (70.5)

Nice write-up.  I have only two places where I would differ from the author.

1 - Our X-Factor player is not Turay, but Wentz.  If Wentz returns to form, this offense sings, and this team challenges.  This year.

2 - The DL starting lineup.  Turay is not a starting DE.  He's a 3rd down situational pass rusher.  Even at his best, he's not built to play vs the run on 1st down.  No, I think the starting DL (for now) would be LDE Tyquan Lewis, DL3T DeForest Buckner, DL1T Grover Stewart, RDE Kwity Paye.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

1 - Our X-Factor player is not Turay, but Wentz.  If Wentz returns to form, this offense sings, and this team challenges.  This year.

2 - The DL starting lineup.  Turay is not a starting DE.  He's a 3rd down situational pass rusher.  Even at his best, he's not built to play vs the run on 1st down.  No, I think the starting DL (for now) would be LDE Tyquan Lewis, DL3T DeForest Buckner, DL1T Grover Stewart, RDE Kwity Paye.

I think a lot of experts and analyst might think/assume Wentz will return to at least 2019 form. I know I do. That might be why PFF doesn't put him the X-factor space. 

I agree Lewis is the likely "starter" and will get more snaps, but that's only because he'll play the tweener role and slide inside to 3T on passing downs. 

As far as Turay not being able to handle the run though, not sure I agree. Yes he's only 250ish in terms of build, but he was seen as a better tackler than pass rusher coming into the NFL. I think most of the talk was around his lack of counter move, lack of bend (or tight hips). His pass rushing success early surprised a lot of folks. And Paye is only 260ish, so not really a huge difference in weight. Like I said, I think Lewis will get more snaps overall, but wouldn't rule out Turay emerging as more than just a situation pass rusher.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think a lot of experts and analyst might think/assume Wentz will return to at least 2019 form. I know I do. That might be why PFF doesn't put him the X-factor space. 

I agree Lewis is the likely "starter" and will get more snaps, but that's only because he'll play the tweener role and slide inside to 3T on passing downs. 

As far as Turay not being able to handle the run though, not sure I agree. Yes he's only 250ish in terms of build, but he was seen as a better tackler than pass rusher coming into the NFL. I think most of the talk was around his lack of counter move, lack of bend (or tight hips). His pass rushing success early surprised a lot of folks. And Paye is only 260ish, so not really a huge difference in weight. Like I said, I think Lewis will get more snaps overall, but wouldn't rule out Turay emerging as more than just a situation pass rusher.

I have high hopes for Turay.

At a listed 6'5" 248 he is very much like Mathis who got run over. His Strength is in any pass rush situation.

Paye at a very muscley 6'2" 260+, he is more like James Harrison. I would expect him to be a much better run defender soon, very soon.

They are an exciting combo IMO.

I’m not big on ratings, power polls, predictions, etc…. But to me you need to take into account quality depth.  

Every team is going to have injuries.  The capability to replace a player without a significant drop off is what’s going to separate teams when it comes to making the playoffs and how far they go.  

KC proved that point in the SB when they lost OTs.  

I think the Colts excel in that department.  Except for QB, which is the most important spot, there’s proven backup players at most other positions.  

13 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I completely agree!

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’m not big on ratings, power polls, predictions, etc…. But to me you need to take into account quality depth.  

Every team is going to have injuries.  The capability to replace a player without a significant drop off is what’s going to separate teams when it comes to making the playoffs and how far they go.  

KC proved that point in the SB when they lost OTs.  

I think the Colts excel in that department.  Except for QB, which is the most important spot, there’s proven backup players at most other positions.  

You know....there's the rub. When comparing....it's always starters against starters. But late in seasons, same with the NBA, what team has replacements that make plays?

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Having Dallas, Minnesota, and especially Denver and Washington ranked higher than the Colts is really ignant

It doesn't help that Carson Wentz only has a rating of 65.7. He is 23rd according to PFF. Leonard's ranking is only a 70.7, way too low but that is my opinion. On how well we do it will depend on Wentz so he is my X-Factor. Our Pass Defense concerns me too, love Kenny though. We are strong at the running back position and have at worse a top 5 offensive line in the league, if Fisher comes back healthy it may be arguably the best O.Line in the league. Regarding our D.Line, Buckner IMO is the 2nd best in the league only behind Donald. I also think Paye is going to have a good rookie season so we will be fine there. I would like to see Leonard blitz a little more and utilize his speed more, we will see.

Assuming Wentz is just on the good level = better than above average we could be a top 5 team by seasons end and then in the playoffs anything can happen.

It is early but my power rankings would be as of now:

1. Bucs

2. Chiefs

3. Packers - if Rodgers returns

4. Bills

5. Ravens

-that is my current Top 5. The AFC is so loaded I didn't even have the Browns or Titans in my Top 5. The Colts IMO are on those 2 teams level if Wentz plays good, doesn't even have to be great. He just has to play like Rivers did last season, our running game with that headed monster should dominate several games. I wouldn't be surprised if TY Hilton's production actually goes up a tad because Wentz can throw the deep ball better than Rivers.TY loves the deep ball, always did when Andrew was here. 

Kind of makes sense.  I feel the Colts are a fringe playoff team right now. I think they have everything needed to win the division and a playoff game or two. However, if we just miss out it wouldn’t surprise me. A lot riding on Wentz and younger players developing and making the next step. I think they do but all it takes is one or two bad games and you are out of the playoffs. Should be a fun year either way with a lot of competitive games 

On 7/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, throwing BBZ said:

At a listed 6'5" 248 he is very much like Mathis who got run over. His Strength is in any pass rush situation.

Paye at a very muscley 6'2" 260+, he is more like James Harrison. I would expect him to be a much better run defender soon, very soon.

I agree that they are an exciting combo.... but Turay at 6'5" is a lot longer than Mathis who was (generously) listed at 6'2".  I like that Turay has seemingly been working his butt off and has been getting a lot of tutelage from Mathis, but Mathis always had the ability to get low and bend, which is what Turay has been knocked on (IMO, at least in part due to his length).  In terms of Paye vs. Harrison, Harrison was 6'0" 240 lbs.. so Paye has 2 inches and 20 lbs. on Harrison, plus Harrison was a 3-4 OLB and Paye is expected to be a 4-3 DE.  Both strong, muscly guys for sure.. but I sincerely hope Paye's game is quite a bit different than JH's was, and expect Paye to be a pretty darn good pass rusher for us (maybe not as a rookie, but I think that was the hope when he was drafted w/ our first round pick).

20 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

:facepalm:

Not sure if you're shaking you are shaking your head because you don't like the visual of a 6'5" 250 lbs guy getting low and bending or if you disagree with me.. but: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kemoko-turay/32005455-5201-2037-a567-d712db2228ee  

This is from his NFL.com draft profile (weaknesses) and from his play in the NFL, still seem to be a weaknesses of his.

"

Rigid pass rusher with tight hips

Has issues dipping and bending when he gets to the top of his rush"

I realize its an NFL roster rating, but I'm not sure the value of intermixing AFC and NFC teams together since we don't compete against NFC teams for a playoff spot.

I agree with the slotting of the AFC teams except for Denver.  How is Denver ranked ahead of us ?  Makes no sense.  Now if Rodgers is playing there....

Other than that its a fairly good ranking.  I agree the Steelers fall back.

1. Chiefs
  2. Browns
  3. Bills
  4. Ravens
  5. Titans
  6. Colts

On 7/3/2021 at 9:18 PM, EastStreet said:

Turay was a noted rush end out of Rutgers.  He didn't have much productivity in sacks, but his pass rush win % was ridiculous as was his pressures generated.... He had a limited repertoire of refined rush moves, but lacking bend and explosiveness was never an issue, he was just seen as raw....

On 7/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Both are Big 10 guys. The Big 10 (and SEC) are easily the most physical leagues. In short, Either DE holding up good vs the run in those leagues is a good indicator. And they both did. Is Turay a bit on the low side (lbs) for a 4-3 DE, sure, but the same speed and power he uses to shed big blocker while pass rushing, can be used to come of blocks and make tackles and/or chase on the edge. Not saying he is, or isn't capable of run defending at a high level, but right now there's nothing really that tells me he can't. Of course my biggest hope he's a threat pass rushing though, and anything more is just a huge bonus. 

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Turay was a noted rush end out of Rutgers.  He didn't have much productivity in sacks, but his pass rush win % was ridiculous as was his pressures generated.... He had a limited repertoire of refined rush moves, but lacking bend and explosiveness was never an issue, he was just seen as raw....

Just looked at a couple of his profiles. Raw, rigid, tight hips, etc. are negative words used. Rigid and tight hips are typically the opposite of bend. They talk about his power and explosive traits, but don't see any mentioning that he's bendy. I'd really have to go back and watch his film again to see how he was getting the pressures. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

but don't see any mentioning that he's bendy

Plenty of references to him being bendy in this article, https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/1/30/16949082/rutgers-football-kemoko-turay-shines-at-reeses-senior-bowl-nfl-future-looks-bright-draft-combine

This article mentions, "The knock on Turay has always been his perceived inability to stop the run."

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/48904684 "Kemoko Turay. A freshman All-American the bendy, athletic pass rusher has a fantastic ceiling, with injury concerns and questions about his run defense."

“In terms of just his ability, I’ve never seen anybody who can bend and pass rush at the same time as well as he can,” https://dailytargum.com/article/2014/10/turay-upside-excites-knights

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/indianapolis-colts-kemoko-turay-bendy-explosive-injury-frank-reich/

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/2020/ describes Terrell Lewis as, "Long, bendy edge defender ... shades of Kemoko Turay"

36 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Plenty of references to him being bendy in this article, https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/1/30/16949082/rutgers-football-kemoko-turay-shines-at-reeses-senior-bowl-nfl-future-looks-bright-draft-combine

This article mentions, "The knock on Turay has always been his perceived inability to stop the run."

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/48904684 "Kemoko Turay. A freshman All-American the bendy, athletic pass rusher has a fantastic ceiling, with injury concerns and questions about his run defense."

“In terms of just his ability, I’ve never seen anybody who can bend and pass rush at the same time as well as he can,” https://dailytargum.com/article/2014/10/turay-upside-excites-knights

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/16/indianapolis-colts-kemoko-turay-bendy-explosive-injury-frank-reich/

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/2020/ describes Terrell Lewis as, "Long, bendy edge defender ... shades of Kemoko Turay"

Haven't heard of most of these, and the ones I heard of, are descriptions of his play once he hit the NFL (and we all know he looked good in his limited time when he hit the NFL)..

I tend to put most stock in NFL.com, TDN, PFF, etc. and a few other big boards when it comes to pre-draft assessment.

Here's what NFL.com had to day. 

"Overview

Explosive edge defender with the coveted traits of an NFL pass rusher. Turay is still behind on feel and skill in that area and will need to develop a go-to move and a workable counter to beat NFL tackles. However, his ability to chase and tackle could translate right away. Turay splashed at Senior Bowl practices and certainly helped his cause to go on day two of the draft."

"Weaknesses

Rigid pass rusher with tight hips

Has issues dipping and bending when he gets to the top of his rush

Rushes with a face-up approach that makes him easier to find and punch for tackles"

Couldn't find TDN's profile (it's probably aged off). 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, if you look at his stats, his freshman year was great, then injuries slowed his sophomore and junior seasons. His sack production was pretty meh once he returned to the starters spot his senior year.

Here's his senior highlights. For the most part, his highlights are power/explosion/speed, not really bend. His highlights do show good tackling, as does his stats (T and TFL).

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I tend to put most stock in NFL.com, TDN, PFF, etc. and a few other big boards when it comes to pre-draft assessment.

I tend to put most stock in a slew of football people saying he is and has been bendy, since his first year in college through the present. And I tend to not put all my stock in one SINGLE assessment at one single point in time that goes against petty much everything else out there.

Just now, Dogg63 said:

I tend to put most stock in a slew of football people saying he is and has been bendy, since his first year in college through the present. And I tend to not put all my stock in one SINGLE assessment at one single point in time that goes against petty much everything else out there.

Did you watch the film?  It's pretty clear.

Of the pre-draft assessments you posted, not sure I'd call most of them "football people". Looks mostly like some small time fans, local sites, and pods... I guess my bar is a little higher.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:47 PM, EastStreet said:

"14. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

2021 Colts

OFFENSE

QB Carson Wentz (65.0)

RB Nyheim Hines (82.4)

WR T.Y. Hilton (75.9)

TE Mo Alie-Cox (80.9)

LT Eric Fisher (80.1)

LG Quenton Nelson (87.5)

C Ryan Kelly (68.0)

RG Mark Glowinski (67.1)

RT Braden Smith (80.1)

DEFENSE

DI Grover Stewart (68.1)

EDGE Kwity Paye (86.3**)

LB Darius Leonard (70.4)

LB Bobby Okereke (47.7)

LB Zaire Franklin (69.3)

CB Xavier Rhodes (77.3)

CB Rock Ya-Sin (49.9)

CB Kenny Moore II (73.8)

S Khari Willis (70.5)

I’m actually excited by this ranking.   Because look who all the lowest ranked players are.  They’re basically all in their 20’s and should, at the least, be just as good ((Glow, Stewart) or be better, perhaps much better. 

On Offense:

Wentz:   Better to much better

Pittman:  Better to much better

Campbell:    (I think that’s his 2019 grade). But if he’s healthy I’d like to think he’d get a 10-15 point jump at least — maybe more. 
Kelly: Better

Glow: Same or better

On Defense:

Stewart:  Same or better

Turay or Lewis: Better

Okereke:  Better to much better.  Hard to imagine Oke not having a better season.  The only question is how much?

Rock:   Better.  Again, same question.  How much?

Blackmon:   Better.  More like his first 3/4 of last year.  Less like the last quarter. 

Benogu:  Better..  Could he get worse?   Hard to imagine. 

For all their flaws, real and imagined, the coaches and Ballard believe in these players and are willing to live and die with them.  They expect growth and improvement with this group.   I, for one, am excited to see these guys either step up or not.  Put up, or shut up.   I think all these question marks makes 2021 one of the most interesting and highly anticipated seasons for me.

Maybe for you too?

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m actually excited by this ranking.   Because look who all the lowest ranked players are.  They’re basically all in their 20’s and should, at the least, be just as good ((Glow, Stewart) or be better, perhaps much better. 

On Offense:

Wentz:   Better to much better

Pittman:  Better to much better

Campbell:    (I think that’s his 2019 grade). But if he’s healthy I’d like to think he’d get a 10-15 point jump at least — maybe more. 
Kelly: Better

Glow: Same or better

On Defense:

Stewart:  Same or better

Turay or Lewis: Better

Okereke:  Better to much better.  Hard to imagine Oke not having a better season.  The only question is how much?

Rock:   Better.  Again, same question.  How much?

Blackmon:   Better.  More like his first 3/4 of last year.  Less like the last quarter. 

Benogu:  Better..  Could he get worse?   Hard to imagine. 

For all their flaws, real and imagined, the coaches and Ballard believe in these players and are willing to live and die with them.  They expect growth and improvement with this group.   I, for one, am excited to see these guys either step up or not.  Put up, or shut up.   I think all these question marks makes 2021 one of the most interesting and highly anticipated seasons for me.

Maybe for you too?

I'm very excited to be honest. I never put a ton of stock though in what coaches or GMs are willing to live and die with. Every team "has to" live and die with certain players, and roll the dice on improvement/development. And some just have to accept levels of performance in certain areas (not everyone can be a stud) simply due to the cap, FA, and other restraints.

Overall, I like the roster, and love what Ballard has done thus far in most areas. I've also said many times though, it is easier to improve a bad roster, than maintain or improve a good one. 

I'll put the list into a few categories, with a few comments.

Zero worries

LG Quenton Nelson (87.5)

RT Braden Smith (80.1)

LB Darius Leonard (70.4)

CB Kenny Moore II (73.8)

C Ryan Kelly (68.0) - maybe overpaid, but high floor, and no real fear of drop off

RG Mark Glowinski (67.1) - better vs the run, but one of the best "weak links" in the NFL

RB Jonathan Taylor (80.7) - his stats took off late vs some very poor run Ds, but I expect he'll remain top 10

RB/APB Nyheim Hines (82.4) - we all know his sweet spot

I expect, and am confident in big jumps and/or good-to-great performance

QB Carson Wentz (65.0) - I could see comeback POY in his future

WR Michael Pittman Jr. (62.8) - did very well as a rook, and handled injury setbacks well

TE Mo Alie-Cox (80.9) - he performed at a near elite level in every area. needs more targets

EDGE Kwity Paye (86.3**) - hard to project rook DEs, but I like his chances

Wildcards, injury, age, etc.

WR T.Y. Hilton (75.9) - when does age become overly obvious, when does his role decline

CB Xavier Rhodes (77.3) - pretty much the same concerns as above with TY.

WR Parris Campbell (54.7*) - obvious injury concerns, but that's really the only concern. His emergence could be an x-factor

LT Eric Fisher (80.1) - speed of recovery, return to form, and overall RTS factor.

DI Grover Stewart (68.1) - perhaps a bit overpaid, has sack escalators in his new contract. We don't ask that much of NT

EDGE Kemoko Turay (62.9*) - need a return to form if he can put injuries behind him

DE Tyquan Lewis (62.6) - can he handle a bigger role. I think so. If not, the DL might be hurtin'

S Khari Willis (70.5) - we don't ask much of the SS, and would like to see his role broaden. Very solid in his limited role thus far

Biggest concerns

CB Rock Ya-Sin (49.9) - we saw great play 2nd half of 2019. Injuries killed him in 2020. Need a big jump

LB Bobby Okereke (47.7) - this is the position that scares me the most. Aside from CW, my biggest wish for a big step forward

LB Zaire Franklin (69.3) - depth at LB is pretty scary, but I think ZF will be solid if not asked to do too much. Speed emerges?

S Julian Blackmon (59.4) - If he can play better in coverage, he could be elite. Monster stud going down hill.

Archived