Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its been reported, that the Bills have said they are not pursuing Ertz

AND.....It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for the Colts to pursue Julio

Julio WOULD improve the Colts, but...........A bit too old and a LOT too expensive (picks and $$)

Ertz had an off year in 2020, but a top 100 player in 2019 (40).....He caught 88 passes 

Doyle is a dependable run blocker, Cox is a dependable run blocker. Neither is that recieving threat that is needed. 

This offense (and our QB) needs a TE that can get open and catch.

Depending on a 4th round rookie, that many of the talking heads said was drafted too early,  to be THAT pivotal guy, would seem to be a bit risky

If you watch Granson's game, the guy has talent, but his blocking is a HUGE hole, that would keep him on the sideline, until he gets stronger and learns the inline play

Its said that TEs take a year or two to develop......... We need a TE for the Seattle game, and cant really wait for a year or two......

IMHO opinion, the chemistry developed between Ertz and Wentz would translate very well to the Colts

Lastly, we ARE a bit thin at WR, 

This move puts less pressure on the WR group as well as costing approx HALF of the Julio move. 

It's good to hear that the Bills aren't interested.  I'm surprised actually because I think he would be a good fit there as well.  I am of the belief that Julio would give us the bigger bang for the buck as they say even at his age.  If that should not materialize then Ertz would be a good move as well.  I would be happy with either but would definitely try very hard for Julio he is such a difference maker IMO.  

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It's good to hear that the Bills aren't interested.  I'm surprised actually because I think he would be a good fit there as well.  I am of the belief that Julio would give us the bigger bang for the buck as they say even at his age.  If that should not materialize then Ertz would be a good move as well.  I would be happy with either but would definitely try very hard for Julio he is such a difference maker IMO.  

I do agree that Julio would probably be a bigger impact than Ertz for this year

But as a counter, I think that you might see Ertz contribute for 3-4 years, vs Julio for 1-2 years

IMHO it would be MUCH easier to fit the 5 pending contracts with Leonard, Smith, Fisher 2022, Hines, and  Nelson, if we dont tie up 30 plus Million (two year contract still in force) with Julio.

One or two of those 5 Colts FA (to be) would probably have to walk

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

But as a counter, I think that you might see Ertz contribute for 3-4 years, vs Julio for 1-2 years

IMHO it would be MUCH easier to fit the 5 pending contracts with Leonard, Smith, Fisher 2022, Hines, and  Nelson, if we dont tie up 30 plus Million (two year contract still in force) with Julio.

I disagree completely. I think Ertz is already shot or close to it. I haven't seen anything suggesting Julio is. When he's healthy, Julio is still a top receiver. Ertz has already shown serious signs of slowing down and he's not getting any younger or sprier. I have no idea what he would look like next year, let alone in 3-4 years. I still don't get why Colts fans are so eager to get him. Both MAC and Doyle are currently better TEs than Ertz. I wouldn't pay any draft capital for him and if he's available as a FA I wouldn't give him anything more than a vet minimum as a depth/injury insurance piece. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I’m not sure you can expect Ertz to contribute for 3-4 years.  If that was the case I think a team would have traded for him by now.  I see a shorter window for him and that’s why teams are waiting for his release and the chance to lower his cap hit.  I would much rather take my chances with Julio and let the season play out with him as our WR1.  This would also give us another year to evaluate Campbell and Pittman and our other receivers.  I am not really worried about extensions.  Ballard will extend the players he wants to extend.  Another completed season will help us evaluate and clear up our priorities as well.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I disagree completely. I think Ertz is already shot or close to it. I haven't seen anything suggesting Julio is. When he's healthy, Julio is still a top receiver. Ertz has already shown serious signs of slowing down and he's not getting any younger or sprier. I have no idea what he would look like next year, let alone in 3-4 years. I still don't get why Colts fans are so eager to get him. Both MAC and Doyle are currently better TEs than Ertz. I wouldn't pay any draft capital for him and if he's available as a FA I wouldn't give him anything more than a vet minimum as a depth/injury insurance piece. 

Ultimately you may be right, but.....

he had one injury filled year and a QB that was getting clobbered

He had a great 2019 season.... better than anything that we have at TE by a large factor

I still think the guy can play

Are you currently 100% happy with our recievers / TE?

I think TE is a glaring hole to this PARTICULAR offense

I like Julio, I do.....  I just think its a pipe dream to get the guy, with our current front office, AND

to not think there is ANY risk with Julio, really isnt looking at it right

Just my opionion

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ultimately you may be right, but.....

he had one injury filled year and a QB that was getting clobbered

He had a great 2019 season.... better than anything that we have at TE by a large factor

I still think the guy can play

I guess we will see this coming year. I am not a believer in him anymore. 

Are you currently 100% happy with our recievers / TE?

No, I think we have a bottom 10 receiving corps in the league... unless multiple of our young guys take serious steps forward. 

I think TE is a glaring hole to this PARTICULAR offense

Agree, especially the receiving part of the TE group... again... with Kylen Granson evaluation pending. 

I like Julio, I do.....  I just think its a pipe dream to get the guy, with our current front office, AND

to not think there is ANY risk with Julio, really isnt looking at it right

Just my opionion

Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I don't think Ballard is very likely to trade for a receiver in his 30s. But if I had to choose to trade for one, I'm trading for Julio and it's not particularly close including draft compensation and contract considerations. I don't mind us trading for a top receiver, which I think Julio is. I think he's worth it. I don't think Ertz is worth giving up anything of value for.   

It has to be considered now. While I have no doubt Granson will succeed in the NFL he is a rookie, Jack Doyle is who he is, and they have no faith in Mo to be consistent enough to have the keys to the car. People want to downplay this like our Tight End group doesn't have any question marks. 

On 6/4/2021 at 8:05 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Its been reported, that the Bills have said they are not pursuing Ertz

AND.....It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for the Colts to pursue Julio

Julio WOULD improve the Colts, but...........A bit too old and a LOT too expensive (picks and $$)

Ertz had an off year in 2020, but a top 100 player in 2019 (40).....He caught 88 passes 

Doyle is a dependable run blocker, Cox is a dependable run blocker. Neither is that recieving threat that is needed. 

This offense (and our QB) needs a TE that can get open and catch.

Depending on a 4th round rookie, that many of the talking heads said was drafted too early,  to be THAT pivotal guy, would seem to be a bit risky

If you watch Granson's game, the guy has talent, but his blocking is a HUGE hole, that would keep him on the sideline, until he gets stronger and learns the inline play

Its said that TEs take a year or two to develop......... We need a TE for the Seattle game, and cant really wait for a year or two......

IMHO opinion, the chemistry developed between Ertz and Wentz would translate very well to the Colts

Lastly, we ARE a bit thin at WR, 

This move puts less pressure on the WR group as well as costing approx HALF of the Julio move. 

We had no problem using Dallas Clark as a threat in his rookie year. Granson is ready as a receiver and hes smart. I dont recall Dallas Clark ever being a great blocker. Doyle and Mo can go intermediate. Mo can even go deep at times. Very likely we will have at least 2 6' 5" receivers who are damn near like tight ends. Not as bare as you think. I think we will be fine without Ertz, but i wont be upset if we got him.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

We had no problem using Dallas Clark as a threat in his rookie year. Doyle and Mo can go intermediate. Mo can even go deep at times. Very likely we will have at least 2 6' 5" receivers who are damn near like tight ends. Not as bare as you think.

Thin isnt bare

Rookies TEs MOST of the time are in need of a bit of time to develop, An exception does'nt  quite make the rule

I will stick with my thin statement, which is really where we are

We could use a little help IMHO

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thin isnt bare

Rookies TEs MOST of the time are in need of a bit of time to develop, An exception does'nt  quite make the rule

I will stick with my thin statement, which is really where we are

We could use a little help IMHO

What does he need help with? His hands? His routes? Hes already pretty polished at both. Tight end route tree isnt that complicated. I think he will be fine. As far as blocking is concerned Ebron until this day still hasnt learned how to block. I wouldnt put too much worry into that part with Granson. It wont kill everything if hes a work in progress. I think he can help us with his receiving year 1. Especially down field. Im not sure Ertz brings enough for is to outright cut Doyle. But again if we picked him up i wouldnt be upset. I just dont see them outright cutting Doyle for him.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Lawrence Owen says Granson is a pretty good blocker

I think hes technically and fundamentally sound. On the flip side though i dont think hes all that strong.

If you are specifically asking what needs improvement is blocking.

All I would say is watch his games, and what HE does on running plays at SMU

The blocking is NOT pretty

Will the LB, CB, S get the tackle because he isnt a good blocker?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kylen-granson/32004752-4136-7521-12e0-76f6488826b0

For the most part our WRs and TEs are excellent blockers, for their position

I hope that he gets ready sooner than later

On 6/4/2021 at 5:27 PM, stitches said:

I guess we will see this coming year. I am not a believer in him anymore. 

No, I think we have a bottom 10 receiving corps in the league... unless multiple of our young guys take serious steps forward. 

Agree, especially the receiving part of the TE group... again... with Kylen Granson evaluation pending. 

Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I don't think Ballard is very likely to trade for a receiver in his 30s. But if I had to choose to trade for one, I'm trading for Julio and it's not particularly close including draft compensation and contract considerations. I don't mind us trading for a top receiver, which I think Julio is. I think he's worth it. I don't think Ertz is worth giving up anything of value for.   

Granson is going to be a beast

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Eagles are sort of stuck.

I dont think that Ertz gets past the first round of cuts, if he isnt traded.

That cap hit is a bit of a poison pill for this year for the Eagles

They may be hoping that there is a team that has a TE get injured in camp, and willing to give up a 6th round pick or so.....

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BillCoslosky87 said:

At this point the Eagles need to release him and allow him to choose his destination.

Why?

Why should the Eagles release him now?   Why should they release him one minute before they have to?    Odds are, unless they get an offer that is acceptable, they won’t make a final decision until the week before the season starts when everybody makes roster cuts and last minute deals are done. 

It may suck for Ertz, but that’s how this typically goes this time of year, every year. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why?

Why should the Eagles release him now?   Why should they release him one minute before they have to?    Odds are, unless they get an offer that is acceptable, they won’t make a final decision until the week before the season starts when everybody makes roster cuts and last minute deals are done. 

It may suck for Ertz, but that’s how this typically goes this time of year, every year. 

Agreed....  There is no motivation, at this moment

but

If they do nothing and just keep Ertz he counts $12.7 million against the salary cap in 2021,

I think the Eagles hold out  thru training camp to see if there is a team that has an injury at the TE spot

Then the Eagles may have some cards to hold

Right now, I doubt the Eagles do anything, unless a team offers a pick of value

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed....  There is no motivation, at this moment

but

If they do nothing and just keep Ertz he counts $12.7 million against the salary cap in 2021,

I think the Eagles hold out  thru training camp to see if there is a team that has an injury at the TE spot

Then the Eagles may have some cards to hold

Right now, I doubt the Eagles do anything, unless a team offers a pick of value

When you think about it the Eagles could have an injury at TE and that could change everything.  So waiting camp out probably makes more sense right now.  If released I think he will be a hot commodity.  The Bills are really weak there and he might see a better chance at a SB with them.  I think we will definitely go after him if he is released.  One thing we know for sure is Ballard has already signed FA tight ends in his time as our GM.  They are a big part of our offense and his signing would make perfect sense for us.  If Ertz has to choose between us or the Bills I wonder what he would do.  We will probably get to find out.  So here's hoping he chooses the Colts. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

When you think about it the Eagles could have an injury at TE and that could change everything.  So waiting camp out probably makes more sense right now.  If released I think he will be a hot commodity.  The Bills are really weak there and he might see a better chance at a SB with them.  I think we will definitely go after him if he is released.  One thing we know for sure is Ballard has already signed FA tight ends in his time as our GM.  They are a big part of our offense and his signing would make perfect sense for us.  If Ertz has to choose between us or the Bills I wonder what he would do.  We will probably get to find out.  So here's hoping he chooses the Colts. 

Well look at this….

You and I agree!      :thmup:

Being an Eagles fan/ Season ticket holder I dont see Howie Roseman cutting Ertz. Hes just that bull headed of a guy. Ertz will be part of this team to show his skills this season. Its in the best interest for Ertz to play since he will lose a lot of money if he holds out. He also will be a year older with question marks all over him if he does not go out and prove that last year was a fluke season. If not that effects his contract and team interest next year. 

So my take is the Eagles will keep him and his name will still be out there to teams by the trade deadline or end of preseason to a team thinks he can be that final piece. If not the Eagles keep him and land a comp pick next year when he signs his new contract with team of choice. More then likely a 5th rounder via trade or comp pick will be the outcome. Howie is just known for being a guy who does not give in and sticks to his guns for better or worse. 

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Being an Eagles fan/ Season ticket holder I dont see Howie Roseman cutting Ertz. Hes just that bull headed of a guy. Ertz will be part of this team to show his skills this season. Its in the best interest for Ertz to play since he will lose a lot of money if he holds out. He also will be a year older with question marks all over him if he does not go out and prove that last year was a fluke season. If not that effects his contract and team interest next year. 

So my take is the Eagles will keep him and his name will still be out there to teams by the trade deadline or end of preseason to a team thinks he can be that final piece. If not the Eagles keep him and land a comp pick next year when he signs his new contract with team of choice. More then likely a 5th rounder via trade or comp pick will be the outcome. Howie is just known for being a guy who does not give in and sticks to his guns for better or worse. 

I agree 100%   

The Eagles REALLY dont need to do anything...... YET

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I read a story saying the Eagles had told Ertz that they’re not cutting/releasing him and he should expect to be on the team’s 53-man roster.   Reportedly Ertz was said to be pleased. 

Now I’m reading Ertz is in camp but not happy.  He’s in the last year if a contract with an unknown future and has to risk an injury this season which clearly wouldn’t help his outlook.  

Things change very quickly these days.  If you're a fan and you’re not careful you can experience whiplash! 

Archived