Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen Robinson tagged

JediXMan

44 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I agree, I think CB walks away from that price.. but some team will.. if Bears don’t keep him they’ll get a 2nd

Probably but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.  This tag just put the Bears 20m over the cap.  They need to get below by the 17th so they have some work to do.  A tag and trade is most likely on the table.  Ballard could live with the tag for a year or give him a new deal now.   If he lets him play on the tag he could reward him next year with a new contract when the cap is higher.  If it doesn't work out it's a one year rental and you get a comp pick.  The Cowboys traded a 1st for Amari Cooper and that worked out well for them.  And Robinson is the No.1 WR this year so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  You never know. 

Doesn't trading for a player on a franchise tag cost a 1st and an exclusive franchise tag two 1st rounders?

I guess once he signs the tag, they can talk trade but that is also why a lot of players stall signing the tag till well after the draft thus making a tag and trade more difficult for the tagging team's and potential trading team's plans. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Doesn't trading for a player on a franchise tag cost a 1st and an exclusive franchise tag two 1st rounders?

I guess once he signs the tag, they can talk trade but that is also why a lot of players stall signing the tag till well after the draft thus making a tag and trade more difficult for the tagging team's and potential trading team's plans. 

A tagged player can be traded for whatever the team is willing to accept. The two first round pick stuff is what happens if a team signs the franchised player to a contract offer and the tagging team wishes to decline to match the offer and wishes to accept the picks instead. 

It rarely gets to that. Usually the acquiring team works out compensation with the tagging team prior to agreeing to a contract w the player or at least simultaneously.

Examples:

Jags traded a tagged Yannick Ngakoue to Minnesota for a 2nd and 5th rounder

Houston traded a tagged Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for Jacob Martin, Barkevious Mingo, and 3rd rounder

Chiefs traded a tagged Dee Ford to SF for a 2nd rounder

So trades for a lot less can happen and usually will if a team is having to then pay the player big money on top of the trade compensation. I don't see the Colts doing this considering how stingy we are on picks AND how stingy we are on giving out big contracts. It's a double whammy in that regard. 

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Kinda glad about this.

AR is great but would been expensive 

And if AR wanted too much money as a FA Ballard wouldn't sign him.  So it's a mute point.  Haven't we learned by now that Ballard won't overpay.  To me this is just an attempt by the Bears to try and get something in return.  And they just might.  None of us saw Ballard trading our 13th for Buckner last year.  Who's to say he won't trade our 1st or 2nd rd pick this year for someone.  He might.  The good thing is there are quite a few WR and ER available in FA this year.  Ballard should be able to find a great add for both spots.  

12 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

A tagged player can be traded for whatever the team is willing to accept. The two first round pick stuff is what happens if a team signs the franchised player to a contract offer and the tagging team wishes to decline to match the offer and wishes to accept the picks instead. 

It rarely gets to that. Usually the acquiring team works out compensation with the tagging team prior to agreeing to a contract w the player or at least simultaneously.

Examples:

Jags traded a tagged Yannick Ngakoue to Minnesota for a 2nd and 5th rounder

Houston traded a tagged Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for Jacob Martin, Barkevious Mingo, and 3rd rounder

Chiefs traded a tagged Dee Ford to SF for a 2nd rounder

So trades for a lot less can happen and usually will if a team is having to then pay the player big money on top of the trade compensation. I don't see the Colts doing this considering how stingy we are on picks AND how stingy we are on giving out big contracts. It's a double whammy in that regard. 

The two first round picks thing is pretty much something that scares most teams away.   If you think about it the only type of player that is worth two first round picks and a big money deal would be a young franchise quarterback or maybe a young elite pass rusher.  

Archived